Time before reply from potential employers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathology1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a fellow and have been sending my CV to potential employers that have jobs recently posted on pathology outlines. I have been doing this for 2 weeks and I got no responses so far, not even negative responses. I understand that employers might need some time to review applications. My question is that, if I am going to get a reply, when should I expect to get it?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

When does your fellowship end?

Members don't see this ad :)
If there is a phone number attached to the ad, I would follow up with a call after a week.

Welcome to the pathology job market. You'll be lucky to even get a rejection letter or phone call. When I was applying for posted pathology jobs a few years ago, I only got one response (a generic email) which was "thanks, but no thanks".

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody cares you applied. They get 50-100+ applicants. If they are interested they will definitely contact you. Just keep applying. Hope you find something decent.

I’ve said this before. My buddy applied to 30-40 jobs and got 3 interviews. The oversupplied job market is real.

Thank you all. Can anyone give a rough estimate of the average time interval between sending out a CV and getting a reply/interview? I know it can be variable, but is it usually days? Weeks? Longer?

Thank you all. Can anyone give a rough estimate of the average time interval between sending out a CV and getting a reply/interview? I know it can be variable, but is it usually days? Weeks? Longer?

I don’t know what others on here would say, but, if you don’t hear back from a place within a week you’re never going to hear back from them. The one rejection letter that I got came within a week of me applying. I even applied to some academic positions through their university HR websites, with confirmations of receipt of material, and I never was even told to bugger off. Evidently I wasn’t even worth the effort of an automated generic rejection letter.

Although, one Mid-West hellhole of an academic dept did call me back within a week to ask what I would be willing to take as a salary, and being desperate at the time for a paycheck I gave them a very low ball figure. They never got back to me again. I strongly suspect they were leveraging my low ball offer against their preferred candidate, who was also desperate, to convince him/her to take the job because “someone else is in line who’ll do the job for less”.

Such is the pathology job market folks.

Pathology job hiring is about as autistic as pathologists themselves: you will almost never get any indication they even received your application let alone read it and rejected it.

The story above where you do get the random call only to realize they are using your willingness to take a garbage salary for leverage vs. another tool is common place.

Honestly there is more deference and respect shown for applicants to fast food places and this is all BEFORE "free healthcare for all". I would expect after that goes into affect, pathologists will stripped naked and sold by auction in the town square on Tuesday afternoons.

Reactions: 1 users
Pathology job hiring is about as autistic as pathologists themselves: you will almost never get any indication they even received your application let alone read it and rejected it.

The story above where you do get the random call only to realize they are using your willingness to take a garbage salary for leverage vs. another tool is common place.

Honestly there is more deference and respect shown for applicants to fast food places and this is all BEFORE "free healthcare for all". I would expect after that goes into affect, pathologists will stripped naked and sold by auction in the town square on Tuesday afternoons.
Perish the thought

Well, any sale of pathologists is going to depend to some extent on what their teeth look like when the buyer inspects his chattel

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am currently a fellow and have been sending my CV to potential employers that have jobs recently posted on pathology outlines. I have been doing this for 2 weeks and I got no responses so far, not even negative responses. I understand that employers might need some time to review applications. My question is that, if I am going to get a reply, when should I expect to get it?

Thank you
If they don't call you back within a week or two they probably won't be getting in touch. Keep your head up and continue to apply to other places. Something always works out. :)

Are you serious? From my experience you’re lucky if they pick up the phone for a follow up call to make sure they even got it.

Are you serious? From my experience you’re lucky if they pick up the phone for a follow up call to make sure they even got it.

What is really sad is that this was pretty much the same as the situation was >30years ago.

Wait isn’t the job market supposed to be really good for doctors? You guys put all that effort in then have to beg for jobs from people less educated than you?

Wait isn’t the job market supposed to be really good for doctors? You guys put all that effort in then have to beg for jobs from people less educated than you?

Bingo! Give this guy a cigar!

Yes it is....unless you’re a pathologist or another of a select few specialties. These stories and experiences aren’t the exception by the way.

The job market is good in fields where their societies limit the number of residency spots. Dermatology is an example.

Are you trolling us or what?