outside biopsy path reports at your institution before surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holeinone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Isn't it standard of care for a surgeon to scan in a patient's diagnostic pathology report into the hospital EMR where the patient is having surgery, if the diagnostic pathology report was performed elsewhere?
Isn't this usually required in hospital bylaws or something, in order for good patient care?
(Currently working locums in area where most surgeons are independent. previously worked in large hospital system where all surgeons were employees and most diagnostic biopsies went straight into EMR.)

Members don't see this ad.

I would follow local customary practices of my local peers unless it was immoral, illegal or unethical. Change things you don’t like after you’ve established a little cred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Thanks for the reply. you are saying that having the diagnostic report in the medical record is not standard of care, but rather a local practice.

Here’s another one: independent ortho doctor doesn’t want his pt charged for gross/micro on thd leg ampuation he has performed, so he refuses to send a requistion despite our askinf for one. He sends the limb down to lab anyway, but wont provide a req. moral/ethical/legal/local standard, or standard pt care issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
If that leg isn't on an exempt list, you should escalate that. Don't put up with that behavior. We had a plastics guy who kept trying that crap.

I see outside reports all the time that didn't make into our EMR.

Reactions: 1 user
Send the leg back to his office as undeliverable without a requisition

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't it standard of care for a surgeon to scan in a patient's diagnostic pathology report into the hospital EMR where the patient is having surgery, if the diagnostic pathology report was performed elsewhere?
No. This happens on occasion at our institution. It is not standard of care and varies from one place to the next. Check your bylaws, but if you're saying the outside path reports aren't always in the EMR, that pretty much answers the question...

Here’s another one: independent ortho doctor doesn’t want his pt charged for gross/micro on thd leg ampuation he has performed, so he refuses to send a requistion despite our askinf for one. He sends the limb down to lab anyway, but wont provide a req. moral/ethical/legal/local standard, or standard pt care issue?
Then why is he sending it to the lab in the first place if he doesn't want a gross or micro??? So you guys can dispose of it for them? The OR staff should know how to find a trash can...you're not Custodial Services. Don't accept it. But again, if you're locums, I wouldn't rock the boat: get in, get out, and get paid.