The Number One Trait of a Potential Hire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read the Medscape article here: Attractiveness May Help Applicants Land Residency Interviews

and thought to myself, thank you Captain Obvious...but then I reflected more deeply. Then I drank some fine whiskey, then I reflected more..after repeating this cycle dozens of times I thought what if, just what if everything you struggle for in medical academia, every Honors grade on a surgical rotation, every attending you suck up to, every paper you co-author in Science, is COMPLETELY OVERSHADOWED by how hot you are?

Im going on a LONG limb folks, but what if you people looking for jobs actually hit the gym? Actually got into rocking shape, did the entire hair and makeup routine.

Is it possible, just throwing this out there, that hot pathologists have little to no work involved in getting solid jobs? Could we have stumbled on the Rosetta stone of this entire pity parade????

What do you think?

After seeing what is being published in medscape now, I think I may actually deserve Pulitzer for this thread post alone.

PS- If anyone knows a pathologist looking for a job who could be a Victoria Secret model, please direct them to my SDN mailbox. Thank you and God Bless.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Being an uber-fit mid 2:20s marathon runner with tan skin and long hair has got me far in life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we can develop enough anecdotal evidence from SDN to publish this study in Nature even.

perhaps a CAP poster presentation anyone??

I read the Medscape article here: Attractiveness May Help Applicants Land Residency Interviews

and thought to myself, thank you Captain Obvious...but then I reflected more deeply. Then I drank some fine whiskey, then I reflected more..after repeating this cycle dozens of times I thought what if, just what if everything you struggle for in medical academia, every Honors grade on a surgical rotation, every attending you suck up to, every paper you co-author in Science, is COMPLETELY OVERSHADOWED by how hot you are?

Im going on a LONG limb folks, but what if you people looking for jobs actually hit the gym? Actually got into rocking shape, did the entire hair and makeup routine.

Is it possible, just throwing this out there, that hot pathologists have little to no work involved in getting solid jobs? Could we have stumbled on the Rosetta stone of this entire pity parade????

What do you think?

After seeing what is being published in medscape now, I think I may actually deserve Pulitzer for this thread post alone.

PS- If anyone knows a pathologist looking for a job who could be a Victoria Secret model, please direct them to my SDN mailbox. Thank you and God Bless.
Caveats for your potential applicants should include 1.) must be age >45 but have Heidi Klum or similar genetics, or 2.) not member of religion/cult/et al affiliation that would suggest prolific number of offspring.

hotness only does so much. hottest people in my hospital are young nutritionists, nurses, and OTs. last year two very average looking girls from my school matched into top derm programs and rads waz mostly nerdy types with thick glasses. not seeing what you people are seeing unless med school standards have smashed your standards

That AND being middle-aged

I feel a classic David Duchovany line coming on “My standards are nowhere near what they used to be...”

It is now over years ago but I did a path rotation at UCSF and the derm residents would come to the dermpath lectures. I quickly noticed the difference between them and the path residents. The derm residents all looked fit and slim and like banana republic models. They sat in the front of the room concentrating on the lecture and taking notes. The path residents were wearing wrinkled scrubs and on average were more doughy appearing.

But of course your appearance and personality go far to determine your place in life. Your ability to lead people and achieve goals is directly related to your charisma.

It is now over years ago but I did a path rotation at UCSF and the derm residents would come to the dermpath lectures. I quickly noticed the difference between them and the path residents. The derm residents all looked fit and slim and like banana republic models. They sat in the front of the room concentrating on the lecture and taking notes. The path residents were wearing wrinkled scrubs and on average were more doughy appearing.

But of course your appearance and personality go far to determine your place in life. Your ability to lead people and achieve goals is directly related to your charisma.

The path residents sound more fun tbh.

Maybe it’s a local phenomenon here, but most of the orthopedic surgery residents and faculty are at least 6’ tall, mostly blond, and all look like they were smoking hot prototypical frat and sorority types still with awesome beach bodies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathology residents are the most fun IMO. Its a "band camp" type of nerd kink to a new level.

I still tell stories of my residency at cocktail parties and never found anyone in any other specialty that can come close.

Autopsy parties, gross room raves, research conference orgies etc. Path pretty much has it all.

Fun factor is a different element though, obviously wasnt my original point..

I would rather hang out with a full colostomy bag than physicians of ANY specialty when it comes to socializing. In my experience, physicians, as a group, are dinguses. Me included.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol I know plenty of nice folks in pathology, the ones I associate with of course. There are a few I’ve met in training (attendings included) who were jerks, downright crazy or just b$tchy. You could tell they had some issues.

One attending I knew once signed out from 1 am-5 pm. He slept in his office I think. He was downright crazy.

I’ve concluded that some folks go into pathology because you would never want that person taking care of your mom or dad or any patient.

Luckily for me I only met a few aholes and I hope to never work with one ever again.

Last edited:
I would rather hang out with a full colostomy bag than physicians of ANY specialty when it comes to socializing. In my experience, physicians, as a group, are dinguses. Me included.
I am considered a great party guest and am the first on the floor at dances.

I am considered a great party guest and am the first on the floor at dances.

Are you also the guy at the poker table who just can’t seem to figure out who the rube is at the table? (just kidding)

Last edited by a moderator:

I dont disagree. I think there is some merit to hanging with higher IQ folks and many of the doctors I hang with socially Ive know from undergrad or med school so its such a long term relationship, its different. But yah I get you.

Are you also the guy at the poker table who just can’t seem to be able to figure out who the rube is at the table? (just kidding)
Are you also the guy at the poker table who just can’t seem to figure out who the rube is at the table? (just kidding)
May be, but since i don't play poker it doesn't cost me and i get invited to a lot of nice parties.

when did you go there? I had ex who was a resident at UC and she was fairly hot, not Path goggles hot either, like hot-hot, legit.

But yah cant compete with derm. My current at work crush is hottest physician I have seen anywhere in the world which has included trolling the clinics of Germany and the Netherlands..and she is a derm:)

Had an ex that was hot as fire. Red head. After we had moved on she destroyed a 60 year old pathologist's life.

Hotness is an asset and many use it in this field. Google the girls of Dermatopathology.