Thoughts on circumcision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curcumcision on newborns

• I would discuss the benefits and drawbacks with the parents, in a non-biased fashion.

Votes: 44 49.4%
  • I would do my best to encourage the practice of circumcision, however subtly.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • I would discourage the practice of circumcision based on current information.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I would counsel patients very little in this regard, and simply do what the parents asked.

Votes: 12 13.5%

• Total voters
P. Ani, I had that Jul1 call as my first call too. Glad that's behind me.

So can we get past this and get to the real burning circ issues? Gomco/Plastibell or Mogen? I think I'm faster with the Mogen but most hospitals seem to use Gomco.

Honestly, I hate circs. They are so boring. All that weeniewhacking really gives me a case of yawns. I always got circ duty as a med student. I just couldn't help think "Shouldn't Peds be doing these?". Doulagirl, you gave me hope when you said Peds does it in Washington.

The argument I heard is that Pediatricians aren't surgeons. Maybe so but honestly a circ is too simple to require a surgeon. I think it goes hand in hand with the previously mentioned extra 5k of malpractice peds people don't really want. Does that mean OB can lower their bill by 5k just by not offering circs? Sign me up.

Rather than emotional arguments, let's talk about things we can change.

1. Gomco vs Mogen
2. Is there some way to turf this all to Peds?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nimbus said:
Well said. Clearly circumcision is more of a cultural procedure than a medical one.

If and when my little girl wants her ears/navel/etc pierced, I will take her to the local tattoo/piercing shop. This is where circumcision belongs, not in a hospital and not sanctioned by the medical establishment. We are all fooling ourselves if we call this form of body modification a medical procedure.

Agreed! This is the most lucid post so far.