Osteopathic OBGYN Residency Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOstudent2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about different DO OBGYN residency programs? Are some better? Is it hard to get into MD fellowships, such MFM or REI afterwards?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The DO residencies are hit or miss from what I have seen. I'm not sure you can apply to an MD fellowship coming from a DO residency. I may be wrong. Even if it is allowed, it would be extremely difficult to match.

If you want to do OB, I would highly recommend going to an ACGME accredited program.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some very good D.O. OB programs out there (and you can still match an ACGME fellowship although it might be more difficult).

Some good ones to look into are:
St Joseph Mercy oakland, Ponitac MI
Warren MI
Doctors, OH
Geisinger, PA
Metro, MI
Mercy St Vincent, OH
Genesys, Grand Blanc, MI
There is a MD/DO program in Buffalo NY

I did a Sub-I at Warren and Genesys and was very impressed by both programs in terms of people, training and surgical numbers.

Geisinger is MD/DO

they have 4 spots; put 2 in the DO match and 2 in the MD match

Just FYI

It depends on your career goals and interests. I found that family planning training was lacking in most DO programs, probably because many of them have religious affiliations. There were only a couple of DO programs that I would have considered ranking (Geisinger is all I can remember now), so it was easier to only apply MD. I would look at each program individually and go from there.

Any thoughts about the Chicago DO OBGYN residency program?

How about Metrohealth, near Grandrapids?