General Admissions & OTCAS Thoughts on application stats and improving for upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychtoOT

Reaction score
Hello all! I have been considering a field change for a few years now and have finally come to the conclusion that OT is the best fit for me. I spent undergrad studying psychology and working extensively in a behavioral neuroscience lab, so I am a little bit worried that my stats/experiences won't line up with what schools are looking for. Based on my financial situation/desired timeline, I really would like to try to get more experience leading up to this application cycle and apply, then apply again if I don't get in this year. What are you thoughts on my stats below?

Degree: BA Psychology, with honors from American University
GPA: 3.98
Pre-req GPA: Currently 4.0 (I have a plan to take my outstanding pre-reqs in the summer, A&P 1 and 2)
Shadowing Hours: Have not started shadowing, working to get this started as soon as possible. My goal is to get 80 hours in two different settings by time of application.
Extracurriculars/Volunteer: 2+ years working in a pre-clinical behavioral neuroscience lab (conducted an independent research project, did an independent reading semester focused on researching drug use at different stages of development, trained other undergraduates, assisted with various projects, presented at two conferences, and have 1 first author publication and 2 other publications), served on the undergraduate curriculum committee for my school's psychology department, was an undergraduate TA for a semester, student member of a psychology honors society (Psi Chi), currently volunteering at a hospital (currently 20 hours experience, will continue to get more each week).
Paid Work/Internships: Had a summer internship at a federal government mental health agency (worked on diversity board and conducted research on general mental disorders and LGBT youth mental health), coached youth gymnastics classes/summer camps for 3 years, worked as a manager at school gym, currently work as a research coordinator full time (coordinating back end of clinical trials, no clinical interactions)
Letters of Req: Chair of psychology department at my university, advisor of my undergraduate neuroscience research, and hope to build a relationship with an OT this year who can speak to my strengths.

Would strengthening my application with shadowing and additional volunteering experiences (I'm currently talking with a youth sports organization for kids with disabilities) be enough to justify applying this year? I know that most people have experiences that directly relate to OT, so I'm not sure if schools will find value in my experiences. Please let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Your research background would be very valuable especially if you are considering OTD programs. Also OT has its roots in mental health so your experience related to that is very applicable. I have been a part of sitting in on interviews, and I know personally the candidates that stand out to me are those who clearly know their 'why' for going into OT, and that does not directly have to be due to have direct experience (like being an OT tech/aide etc.). It would be helpful if you could gain more experience, but honestly, would just focus on getting those shadowing hours as opposed to needing the volunteer experience you mentioned. Good luck!

Your research background would be very valuable especially if you are considering OTD programs. Also OT has its roots in mental health so your experience related to that is very applicable. I have been a part of sitting in on interviews, and I know personally the candidates that stand out to me are those who clearly know their 'why' for going into OT, and that does not directly have to be due to have direct experience (like being an OT tech/aide etc.). It would be helpful if you could gain more experience, but honestly, would just focus on getting those shadowing hours as opposed to needing the volunteer experience you mentioned. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice and for your thoughts! I'll do my best to get as many shadowing hours as possible :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are extremely good and sufficient to get you in. As PsychtoOt mentioned, your research background and clinical experiences in different medical settings are all valuable and stand-outs. I would not worry too much about not being able to get into either MSOT or OTD program easily.
I would recommended, though;
1. Get your GRE as good as possible, with written score 5 or more, (even score of 4 is acceptable). Pay much more attention to verbal portion of the test.
2. You need to start OT shadowing, or volunteering, at least more than 100 hours, practically and it could be in one setting alone and get a good OT letter of recommendation this way.
3. Application statements: You need to be yourself, let them know exactly "why" OT, your envision few years how the line with OT, what could you contribute to the field later in life... Such personal and sincere commitment will catch the attention during selection process.
4. Again, Be yourself all the way from the beginning of application process.

Good luck and I know that you can make it.

Your stats are extremely good and sufficient to get you in. As PsychtoOt mentioned, your research background and clinical experiences in different medical settings are all valuable and stand-outs. I would not worry too much about not being able to get into either MSOT or OTD program easily.
I would recommended, though;
1. Get your GRE as good as possible, with written score 5 or more, (even score of 4 is acceptable). Pay much more attention to verbal portion of the test.
2. You need to start OT shadowing, or volunteering, at least more than 100 hours, practically and it could be in one setting alone and get a good OT letter of recommendation this way.
3. Application statements: You need to be yourself, let them know exactly "why" OT, your envision few years how the line with OT, what could you contribute to the field later in life... Such personal and sincere commitment will catch the attention during selection process.
4. Again, Be yourself all the way from the beginning of application process.

Good luck and I know that you can make it.
Thanks so much for your thoughts! I will definitely do my best to do everything you suggest!

Hi!! My background is also in psychology, and I was out of school for 3 years when I began applying to OT school. I just wanted to offer my opinion - I think you’d have no problem getting accepted! I only had about 40 documented hours and a GPA lower than yours, and I was accepted to some pretty competitive programs this cycle. I think my mental health background, research experience and various interests made me stand out compared to other applicants. I did not have any of the common extra-circulars that many students on this forum have. I also did not take the GRE. While some programs are definitely easier to get into than others, I really think you could apply next cycle and and get accepted, even if you are still taking A&P II at that time! Some programs only required 6 out of 8 prereqs be completed at the time of application, for example. Best of luck to you!

Hi!! My background is also in psychology, and I was out of school for 3 years when I began applying to OT school. I just wanted to offer my opinion - I think you’d have no problem getting accepted! I only had about 40 documented hours and a GPA lower than yours, and I was accepted to some pretty competitive programs this cycle. I think my mental health background, research experience and various interests made me stand out compared to other applicants. I did not have any of the common extra-circulars that many students on this forum have. I also did not take the GRE. While some programs are definitely easier to get into than others, I really think you could apply next cycle and and get accepted, even if you are still taking A&P II at that time! Some programs only required 6 out of 8 prereqs be completed at the time of application, for example. Best of luck to you!
Thanks so much for your thoughts, that's so cool we have such similar backgrounds. And congrats on being accepted this cycle, it's encouraging to hear! :)