Thought about pension/retirement benefits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

excimo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating next year and is deciding between academic environment vs. large practice such as Kaiser.

For KPNC the pay is north 450K, eligible for pension after 10-15 years services. For me this seems like a really good deal given the stable income stream on retirement. What do you think about this pension?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't write how much the pension is that you get for this service.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
450k for GI is a ripoff dude
based on what exactly is this starting offer a ripoff? if KPNC, refers to Kaiser Northern California, then OP's COL is likely to be significant and the offering compensation should of course take that into account. Regardless, he/she's a new graduate and most employers aren't going to be aiming to offer the median or 75%ile MGMA to a new grad they have to invest and expend resources in order to ramp up.

Reactions: 1 user
based on what exactly is this starting offer a ripoff? if KPNC, refers to Kaiser Northern California, then OP's COL is likely to be significant and the offering compensation should of course take that into account. Regardless, he/she's a new graduate and most employers aren't going to be aiming to offer the median or 75%ile MGMA to a new grad they have to invest and expend resources in order to ramp up.
I don’t work in a Kaiser region but are they going to ramp up his/her salary in 3 years once they’re a “seasoned attending?”

My impression of Kaiser is your salary doesn’t exactly drive up a lot over the years since it’s not a true private partnership setup.

Reactions: 1 user