This likely applies to a lot of you.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I personally prefer the Oregon Trail Generation: https://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015/04/oregon-trail-generation/

100% agree with Blademda. This is exactly my observation. For some, anything and everything is more valuable than their career and their work, and they cannot understand why this is an anathema to their peers or the hospital administrators. Their video games and yoga classes mean more than staying a few minutes extra to help with cases even when begged to do so. Some actually have a mentality that is identical to CRNAs regarding dedication: they are very dedicated until 3pm arrives. Some fail to recognize that there is a means to job security that transcends working at any hospital or group: that is being a team player, willing to pitch in and help others, having a good attitude and cheerful disposition, demonstrating enjoyment and gratification for the career they are so lucky to have. No, this will not stop the group from being replaced, but if you are a antisocial narcissistic egotistical prick, you may have difficulty in finding another job when that does happen compared to a hard working team player. Finding nirvana at Starbucks or while protesting climate change is easier for late millennials than understanding the value of what they consider to be a banal bourgeoisie endeavor called work.
I think part of this is a result of where medicine is going. If you treat us as replaceable employees, we're going to behave that way.

But, I also think you're seeing some of the same things I am but interpreting it in a different way (for completeness' sake, I was born in 1983).

I look at my OB/GYN father-in-law who was q2-3 most of my wife's childhood. He missed lots of holidays, birthdays, and the usual. Neither my internist wife nor my family doctor self want that. We both love what we do, but we don't want to miss our kids growing up. The breaking point was last Christmas - our girls were 18 months so it was their first real Christmas. My wife was on call and so missed a large part of it. She's now leaving inpatient to do part-time outpatient. I'm selling my solo practice and working for a hospital. We'll both make less money, I'll have less control over my day - but at 5pm I go home and don't have to be on call 24/7 or spend extra time managing payroll, supply ordering, or anything like that. Our generation of doctors wants a better work-life balance than previous generations. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Because old people expect younger people to GAF when nowadays in medicine we earn a fraction of what they were making with no ownership or control of our workplace/practice. It's just working for the man. There's no incentive to work harder or be committed. It's not our fault this is the way things are now, yet we get blamed anyway.

All the while the cost of living, med school, and real estate have skyrocketed during the same time.

I'd gladly take extra weekend call if someone paid me $4000, but it's more like $40/hr.

Reactions: 1 users
They are also the generation with the highest degree of college grads without a job. They also have the highest debt from college loans without a method to pay it back, forever locked into a hellacious cycle of living as second class citizens- largely because they "decided a college major with their hearts" Now many are drowning in debt and simply don't know what to do. Whose fault it is they have turned out this way is really irrelevant.

Or maybe they were approached by frauds and strippers and promised college degrees and jobs.
As Feds Crack Down On For-Profit College, A Founder Heads To Prison For Fraud