This likely applies to a lot of you.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)

Yes! I always knew I wasn't really a Millennial. It feels good knowing I can now legitimately yell at those pesky Millennials to get off my lawn (it's even sweeter knowing those Millennials will never have a lawn of their own 'cuz they either won't be able to afford one or will be too scared to leave mommy and daddy).

Oh and newsflash: If your 17-18yo kid is so scared of having to pay bills and buy groceries that they are having anxiety attacks and insomnia, then you have failed as a parent - I have a real hard time blaming the kid in that scenario. You can add the Millennials to the ever growing list of things the Boomers have f*cked up.

Reactions: 4 users
1s19w7.jpg

And what is the number for the control groups of different decades? I can guarantee you that students in the 70's didn't know much about finance, or washing clothes, or anything. There are also a lot of other questionable statements. For one example, they say that student's don't realize that accommodation will be their biggest expense after tuition and fees. But, since just about every school I am aware of makes first-year students live on campus (and this is the population they are taking about), and since room & board falls under the heading of a fee, the student response is actually correct.

Crappy article.
The greatest generation was probably disappointed with the baby boomers as well. Nothing new here.

Pinochle and bingo at @urge 's house tonight.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I buy a cross-pollution of genX with millennials, but it does seem the older millennials (born 80-90) have a much more traditional work ethic and attitude than the millennials born 1990 and forward. The pervasive dumbing down of the population and touchy feely no-child-left-behind-even-if-it-drags-the-entire-group-down-into-the-gutter-achievement-wise were products of the education systems of the mid-90's on. However, even if this description fits most millennials and their penchant for gazing at video-games and singing kumbaya and effort/work/labor avoidance behaviors, not all of the younger millennials fit into this observed behavior. A few genetic mutants from that era escaped the coddling, participation trophies, and mothers milk provided to age 10, and actually are shockingly in tune with how life really works. I have met some entrepreneurs, diligent workers, and studious erudite individuals that definitely break the mold. So I am always pleasantly surprised, and take extra time to get to know those that are not slackers and are not part of the 35% that continue living at home because they neither want to work nor want to have responsibility.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh and newsflash: If your 17-18yo kid is so scared of having to pay bills and buy groceries that they are having anxiety attacks and insomnia, then you have failed as a parent - I have a real hard time blaming the kid in that scenario. You can add the Millennials to the ever growing list of things the Boomers have f*cked up.
Pretty much agree except that the Boomers are not the ones to blame unless you blame them for raising the parents of the millennials.

Pretty much agree except that the Boomers are not the ones to blame unless you blame them for raising the parents of the millennials.
Late boomers are the parents of the millennials. Gen X are the offspring of Silent Generation or early boomers.

Last edited:
Boomers were too hard on their kids which gave us Gen X. Gen X was too soft which gave us the millenials. The millenials will likely just annoy the **** out of our kids until they just go figure it out on their own and the cycle will start over.

And then millenials will complain about them too...

Unfortunately, no. :)

Jewish Alzheimers is when you can only perfectly remember the people that wronged you in your life. No matter how long ago.

I suspect that other ethnicities are similar.

Reactions: 1 users
Boomers were too hard on their kids which gave us Gen X. Gen X was too soft which gave us the millenials. The millenials will likely just annoy the **** out of our kids until they just go figure it out on their own and the cycle will start over.

And then millenials will complain about them too...
I know you guys are not very smart but get off your head for once that Gen Xers are parents to Millenials.

In terms of advocating for their children in the educational setting, demographer Neil Howe describes Gen X parents as distinct from Baby Boomer parents. Howe argues that Gen Xers are not helicopter parents, which Howe describes as a parenting style of Boomer parents of Millennials. Howe described Gen Xers instead as "stealth fighter parents", due to the tendency of Gen X parents to let minor issues go and to not hover over their children in the educational setting, but to intervene forcefully and swiftly in the event of more serious issues.[86]
Generation X - Wikipedia

The children of Gen Xers are Generation Z, or Post Millennials.

Generation Z are predominantly the children of Generation X,
Generation Z - Wikipedia

Generation Alpha is the offspring of the Millennials. You can already imagine how screwed up those guys will be.
Not only is generation Alpha more likely to grow up overindulged, but they are also the most materially endowed and technologically literate generation to date.
The Complete Guide To Generation Alpha, The Children Of Millennials

Last edited:
Boomers are to blame for everything, from the economy to the Millennials.
Bruce Cannon Gibney’s new book “A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America,” suggests that the millennial generation has inherited the insolvent and selfish ways of their parents, the baby boomers. In his book, Gibney claims that much of the generation born between 1946 and 1964 is financially irresponsible and cares little for others. Gibney’s thesis suggests that the boomers have squandered the greatest inheritance in history, and that they are known as the “me generation” for a reason.

“The boomers have bequeathed a situation which may make it extremely difficult for the millennials to live up to their own aspirations,” said Bruce Cannon Gibney.
WATCH: Baby boomer politicians have got to go

Last edited:
I know you guys are not very smart but get off your head for once that Gen Xers are parents to Millenials.

Generation X - Wikipedia

The children of Gen Xers are Generation Z, or Post Millennials.

Generation Z - Wikipedia

Generation Alpha is the offspring of the Millennials. You can already imagine how screwed up those guys will be.

The Complete Guide To Generation Alpha, The Children Of Millennials
And we mock the fleas for endlessly debating pointless minutia ...

And we mock the fleas for endlessly debating pointless minutia ...
American Culture 101.

Is American Culture pointless minutiae to you?

:shrug:

I'm posting in the thread, so I care a little bit. :)

But yes, semi-scientific quibbling over which generation is the laziest and most pathetic is pointless.

I've witnessed a generational shift during my lifetime from hard work, dedication and sacrifice to "lifestyle", do as little as you can get away with, and an entitlement attitude to "My fair share" from day one. Whatever name you want to put on this "shift" it's real and cuts along every aspect of society. I'm not saying every "new grad" is along the lines of that paradigm shift but, unfortunately most of them do seem to trend in that direction.

Maybe, they got some things right like "lifestyle over money" and "home-life over work-life" but the dedication and perseverance components must be maintained even it requires sacrifice.

As for our current state of affairs in the USA in terms of debt to GDP and entitlements the boomers share the blame along with the politicians who trade treasury money for votes.

Except "home life" means mooching off their parents enough to continue their pursuits of the social change. This includes critiquing their parents for their excesses, missing the irony that they would be homeless and destitute were it not for their parents continuing financial and housing support. I questioned a millennial a few days ago about what they are doing this summer and I received a quizzical look. They responded, "It is summer"- meaning they are on a 14 week sabbatical from life.

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile

I've witnessed a generational shift during my lifetime from hard work, dedication and sacrifice to "lifestyle", do as little as you can get away with, and an entitlement attitude to "My fair share" from day one. Whatever name you want to put on this "shift" it's real and cuts along every aspect of society. I'm not saying every "new grad" is along the lines of that paradigm shift but, unfortunately most of them do seem to trend in that direction.

Maybe, they got some things right like "lifestyle over money" and "home-life over work-life" but the dedication and perseverance components must be maintained even it requires sacrifice.

As for our current state of affairs in the USA in terms of debt to GDP and entitlements the boomers share the blame along with the politicians who trade treasury money for votes.

Be honest...what new grad is truly going to be able to get "his fair share" at any point in time? A new grad should "persevere" and "dedicate" so some investment shareholders can bring home more profit? I don't get it...

If those old boomers weren't so caught up in their own greed and consumerism, the anesthesia (and economic) landscape might look a whole lot different.

Reactions: 2 users

Chicken or egg?

The training culture changed abruptly 14 years with the 80-hour ACGME work week.

Is this generation lazy, or are they working the way your generation trained them to work?

:)

Of course there's been a generational shift, times have changed and those coming of age had a different experience getting there. The "millennials" entered the workforce when unemployment was up, they saw their parents (especially in the low to middle class) lose jobs, lose a significant portion of their retirement, or their homes due to gross governmental and financial institution corruption or at the very least manipulation. They've seen companies grow larger and larger with more and more concern for shareholders, boards, and CEOs and little regard for the actual workforce. As such they don't feel they owe the companies the kind of "dedication and sacrifice" they don't feel would be rewarded anyway.

Similar things can be said about Anesthesia in general. What are my chances of joining a group that survives 2-3yrs before selling to an AMC etc? You think anyone looks forward to working 80hrs a week at a lower salary for sweat equity only to see the practice sold and then get offered $250k to work for some corporate overlords? Of course not, hence the desire to prioritize lifestyle and experiences.

You can call the millennials lazy, coddled, or less driven than past generations, but they aren't stupid. They are the generation with the highest percentage of college grads (with the highest debt that goes with it), they're tech savvy, and they know they can and will shape the future workforce and economy.

They are also the generation with the highest degree of college grads without a job. They also have the highest debt from college loans without a method to pay it back, forever locked into a hellacious cycle of living as second class citizens- largely because they "decided a college major with their hearts" rather than actually research the job prospects and expected income relative to the college debt. Now many are drowning in debt and simply don't know what to do. Whose fault it is they have turned out this way is really irrelevant. The most frightening issue is that they will be assuming the mantle of power eventually, but it will not be based on ascension due to hard work or merit- it will be due to the fact there are finally too many openings to be manned by the ever shrinking working population of baby boomers and GenX. What will they do with this acquired power that was never earned? Good question. But then again perhaps it would not be any worse than exists with our current political situation.....

They are also the generation with the highest degree of college grads without a job. They also have the highest debt from college loans without a method to pay it back, forever locked into a hellacious cycle of living as second class citizens- largely because they "decided a college major with their hearts" rather than actually research the job prospects and expected income relative to the college debt. Now many are drowning in debt and simply don't know what to do. Whose fault it is they have turned out this way is really irrelevant. The most frightening issue is that they will be assuming the mantle of power eventually, but it will not be based on ascension due to hard work or merit- it will be due to the fact there are finally too many openings to be manned by the ever shrinking working population of baby boomers and GenX. What will they do with this acquired power that was never earned? Good question. But then again perhaps it would not be any worse than exists with our current political situation.....

When I look at the old guys at my current job, "hard work" and "merit" are not the first two descriptors that come to mind.

Be honest...what new grad is truly going to be able to get "his fair share" at any point in time? A new grad should "persevere" and "dedicate" so some investment shareholders can bring home more profit? I don't get it...

If those old boomers weren't so caught up in their own greed and consumerism, the anesthesia (and economic) landscape might look a whole lot different.

I think you are taking my statements out of context. I'm not criticizing the person for being "street smart" about his/her job; e.g., avoiding working for a predatory group, but, rather, avoiding doing that extra shift for $175 per hour or the weekend for $4K or simply staying over an hour to finish a tough case. I don't see the dedication and commitment to work that previous generations had instilled in them.

This reduced level of commitment to any employer or institution translates it a "F U" attitude common among the latter generations. It's a "me first" attitude with little regard for others around them. IMHO, this means most people will likely have many "employers" during their careers which in and of itself isn't a bad thing. But, I'm not a fan of the work-ethic, self entitlement and overall attitude of these generations.

Again, my statements apply to the majority of the latter generations but not all of them. There are still a few hard-workers among the bunch but it's not the norm any longer.

When I look at the old guys at my current job, "hard work" and "merit" are not the first two descriptors that come to mind.

I'm sorry you have a crappy job in a crappy environment. That has certainly skewed your perspective on this field and it shows. These "exclusive contracts" can be a blessing or a curse for group members; in your case we know which one is applicable.

Millennials: The Job-Hopping Generation

• Millennials most likely generation to switch jobs
    • Six in 10 millennials are open to new job opportunities
    • Millennials are the least engaged generation in the workplace

Why are millennials so likely to move around? There are many potential reasons, but one could be their low engagement in the workplace. Gallup has found that only 29% of millennials are engaged at work, meaning only about three in 10 are emotionally and behaviorally connected to their job and company. Another 16% of millennials are actively disengaged, meaning they are more or less out to do damage to their company. The majority of millennials (55%) are not engaged, leading all other generations in this category of worker engagement.

See I don't necessarily agree that refusal to work an extra weekend for $4k automatically means lazy or less committed. Maybe they're just more committed to their family, or the desire to have a life more than they need $4k.

Especially if it's for a group where they'll never be an owner, and it's likely related to the business guys wanting to make more money by understaffing etc.

View attachment 221079 View attachment 221080

• Millennials most likely generation to switch jobs
    • Six in 10 millennials are open to new job opportunities
    • Millennials are the least engaged generation in the workplace

Why are millennials so likely to move around? There are many potential reasons, but one could be their low engagement in the workplace. Gallup has found that only 29% of millennials are engaged at work, meaning only about three in 10 are emotionally and behaviorally connected to their job and company. Another 16% of millennials are actively disengaged, meaning they are more or less out to do damage to their company. The majority of millennials (55%) are not engaged, leading all other generations in this category of worker engagement.

Paraphrased Dilbert quote:

"we offer no security. Therefore we expect little loyalty."

People are the same. No matter when they are born. We respond to incentives. Those who came of age 30 years ago grew up in a different world. Don't blame the youngsters a bit for the choices they are making.

Reactions: 3 users
View attachment 221079 View attachment 221080

People are the same. No matter when they are born. We respond to incentives. Those who came of age 30 years ago grew up in a different world. Don't blame the youngsters a bit for the choices they are making.
+1000.

People respond to incentives. Very predictably, I would say. If the response is not the desired one, management is the problem, not the employees.

But it's easier to say "bah, kids these days" and feel superior.

The kids are all right.

I'm sorry you have a crappy job in a crappy environment. That has certainly skewed your perspective on this field and it shows. These "exclusive contracts" can be a blessing or a curse for group members; in your case we know which one is applicable.

My point is that the desire to do the least amount of work for the most amount of reward is not a millennial thing, but rather a human nature thing.

Reactions: 4 users
100% agree with Blademda. This is exactly my observation. For some, anything and everything is more valuable than their career and their work, and they cannot understand why this is an anathema to their peers or the hospital administrators. Their video games and yoga classes mean more than staying a few minutes extra to help with cases even when begged to do so. Some actually have a mentality that is identical to CRNAs regarding dedication: they are very dedicated until 3pm arrives. Some fail to recognize that there is a means to job security that transcends working at any hospital or group: that is being a team player, willing to pitch in and help others, having a good attitude and cheerful disposition, demonstrating enjoyment and gratification for the career they are so lucky to have. No, this will not stop the group from being replaced, but if you are a antisocial narcissistic egotistical prick, you may have difficulty in finding another job when that does happen compared to a hard working team player. Finding nirvana at Starbucks or while protesting climate change is easier for late millennials than understanding the value of what they consider to be a banal bourgeoisie endeavor called work.

100% agree with Blademda. This is exactly my observation. For some, anything and everything is more valuable than their career and their work, and they cannot understand why this is an anathema to their peers or the hospital administrators. Their video games and yoga classes mean more than staying a few minutes extra to help with cases even when begged to do so. Some actually have a mentality that is identical to CRNAs regarding dedication: they are very dedicated until 3pm arrives. Some fail to recognize that there is a means to job security that transcends working at any hospital or group: that is being a team player, willing to pitch in and help others, having a good attitude and cheerful disposition, demonstrating enjoyment and gratification for the career they are so lucky to have. No, this will not stop the group from being replaced, but if you are a antisocial narcissistic egotistical prick, you may have difficulty in finding another job when that does happen compared to a hard working team player. Finding nirvana at Starbucks or while protesting climate change is easier for millennials than understanding the value of what they consider to be a banal bourgeoisie endeavor called work.

Interesting observation, but my experience is the opposite. It's the old guys looking for relief at the end of a case or pretending we can't staff that extra case in the EP lab so the old guy can speed off to the golf course in the middle of the afternoon. I guess it's all a matter of perspective and experience, but I am less than impressed with the elders in the field of anesthesia.

Interesting observation, but my experience is the opposite. It's the old guys looking for relief at the end of a case or pretending we can't staff that extra case in the EP lab so the old guy can speed off to the golf course in the middle of the afternoon. I guess it's all a matter of perspective and experience, but I am less than impressed with the elders in the field of anesthesia.
Let's not forget we are in this **** because of our dear elders. They were the ones who sold out the specialty (first by creating tons of CRNA schools, then to AMCs), the "hard working" ones, the kind who would not even get out of bed for only $300K/year, unlike the new grads. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree the elders of the profession were short sighted and sowed the seeds of the CRNA head-on battle against physicians.