What does language in a contract look like that prevents you from doing PRN work with a different practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propofology007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to sign a contract. Would like the ability to do outside PRN work. Was wondering what to look for in a contract that would prevent me from doing so. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

generally going to have something about a geographic (or specific hospital/ASC) list of places you cannot practice the same specialty. Most I have seen describe it in a radius of miles from whatever location that you cannot work at.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to work for an AMC that mentioned any place they’ve had negotiations with even in the last year...sounded really bs to me. How would I know what that is? Seemed unenforceable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It can be broader than above.

The two replies above sound like ways to write a non compete clause. What you are asking about is different.

It could be to the effect of that you will only practice clinical medicine for the entity you are signing the contract with. This could come as a clause saying any payments you receive for clinical services are owed to your employer.

There’s no magic word to look for. You have to read and understand everything and/or hire a lawyer who can review it for you.

Reactions: 1 users
It can be broader than above.

The two replies above sound like ways to write a non compete clause. What you are asking about is different.

It could be to the effect of that you will only practice clinical medicine for the entity you are signing the contract with. This could come as a clause saying any payments you receive for clinical services are owed to your employer.

There’s no magic word to look for. You have to read and understand everything and/or hire a lawyer who can review it for you.

I had to list hospitals/entities that I’ve had privilege before joining the company, so they became the exceptions. Because like @venacontracta said, basically the company claims any sort of billing that I generates belongs to them.

This is also why non-compete is nonsensical and evil. Because in the contract, they phrase it as such, if you work anywhere else (within radius), they’re entitled to your generated billing within 2 years.

If you’re worried or want to make sure that kind of language is not in your contract, get a lawyer. I will warn you, some AMCs won’t change anything, even with a lawyer in your corner.