This doesn't make me feel good at all.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harbsy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found this in the Canadian IMG thread but since I have sent some of my stuff to Atlantic Bridge already, I thought i would share this with others...it doesn't make me feel good at all.

http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/openletter.htm

Or is it different if you go to and Irish school as opposed to Carribean? Please say yes!

Members don't see this ad.

Harbsy said:
Found this in the Canadian IMG thread but since I have sent some of my stuff to Atlantic Bridge already, I thought i would share this with others...it doesn't make me feel good at all.

http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/openletter.htm

Or is it different if you go to and Irish school as opposed to Carribean? Please say yes!

E) "I am going to come back to Canada, after doing a residency in the United States"

This won't happen. After you finish residency in the U.S. and return to Canada, you cannot practice medicine. Why? Because Canada does not accept the USMLE, Canada does not accept the ECFMG certificate. To work in Canada as a doctor you would have to do the entire Canadian certification process all over again. That's right, you would have to write MCCEE, MCCQE Part 1, MCCQE Part 2, and the Canadian board exams for the residency that you did in the United States.

Also you may have to do extra year(s) of residency training in Canada, for example if you did an Internal Medicine residency in U.S. you would have to do one more year of residency in Canada.

This is partly true as you will have to write the MCCEE & MCCQE! Further many US residencies are shorter then their Canadian counter part. So you will need an extra year of residency for thoes that are shorter!* You can usually make this up by taking a fellowship.
*(EDIT) Exception Family Medicine!

In regard to salary see

http://decc.2.forumer.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=547

Provincial Medical Regulatory (Licensing) Authorities
http://rcpsc.medical.org/links/provli_e.php

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about the longer years, but yes...you would have to do the Canadian exams. A lot of the Canadian students here will sit both the USMLE and the MCCEE/MCCQE , focusing more on the canadian exams.... Just be aware that this is something you'll have to do.

If I go to Ireland and pass all my exams, am I still going to be one of the 12000 people doing nothing?

Deav said:
If I go to Ireland and pass all my exams, am I still going to be one of the 12000 people doing nothing?

"Doing nothing" ?

Gee, I'm glad I have other things to keep me occupied and employed. ;)

Take risks you are comfortable with. Everything takes time and work. How long and how much is up to you.

I think thats a risk you have to decided if your willing to take. I am also from Canada but i work and live in the USA (perm. Residency pending). I want to come back to the USA but i did check into Canada.

I have 2 friends doing Canadian Residencies who told me it would be near impossible to get back into canada. In the USA where there are often more residencies than "residents" this is less of an issue, but in Canada there are often more residents than residecies making it already maximally competitive even if you do well on the Canadian exams (which yes, you have to take regardless where you goto school)

If you want to go back to Canada I would suggest not going to medical school anywhere BUT canada.

I consulted with an Irish doctor presently practicing in Canada before making my decision to apply, and he was very enthusiastic about people training in Ireland. He particularly emphasized the education quality. (FYI he is a prof at a Canadian med school now) In his case, however, he lived and practiced in Ireland for years before emmigrating, he did have to write his Canadian qualifying exams but that is to be expected.
As residencies are so hard to come by in Canada, would staying in Ireland and establishing oneself as a doctor for a few years such as this doctor did, might be a more likely option? Does anyone know of people who have done this? I remember reading about Ireland not taking North Americans for post-grad training? I am a canadian/irish citizen so I really don't know how this all applies to me.

I realize this whole IMG thing has been debated at length, but since its such a big step and big risk to take, I thought my experiences with this doctor might be of interest to some people.

I'm pretty sure i'll have a good shot at getting a residency in the states and will be able to go back to canada or do house jobs, etc. in ireland although i'm unsure of how it actually works there.

Thanks for sharing, cansnowflake :)

cansnowflake said:
I realize this whole IMG thing has been debated at length, but since its such a big step and big risk to take, I thought my experiences with this doctor might be of interest to some people.

Finished a Canadian residency June 2005. Directly entered after grad from UCD in 2003, through CaRMS second round.

And that was then. Since then, provinces have made it even easier esp. for Ontario. All those programs that they have now didn't exist in 2003.

Best wishes,
roo

That's awesome to hear Roo!