Study medicine in US then practice in UK. Good Idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedoxRx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a U.S. Citizen. I want to obtain my MD degree here in the states and then practice medicine in the UK. What are the advantages and disadvantages to following this path? Thanks for your replies in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a U.S. Citizen. I want to obtain my MD degree here in the states and then practice medicine in the UK. What are the advantages and disadvantages to following this path? Thanks for your replies in advance.

The main advantages are that the UK is a great place to live, residency hours are decent, and there are good jobs. The disadvantages are that salaries are lower and training is longer.

Do you have EU citizenship? If no, it's a long shot. UK might make you redo residency if you already did it in the US. Correct me if I'm wrong.

After you do your M.D. in the US you won't want to work in the UK. The amount of debt you'll accumulate in the US you won't want UK salary. In fact every year theres an exodus of UK docs to Australia and to a lesser extent the US and Canada. I actually don't know many US MDs that move abroad period.