Atlantic Bridge 2014 all applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlotte Haley

Camphor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

So we have gotten to the interview stage, with some of us already having completed interviews for RCSI. I just started this thread to ask how all of you are doing at this point, and how the interviews went, etc. I was also wondering when we start hearing back from the other schools? Anyone heard anything from a school other than RCSI?

Members don't see this ad.

I had my RCSI interview in New York at the end of February for the GEP as well. I felt pretty comfortable about the whole process. Haven't heard anything from any other ABP schools. From everything I have been able to gather on the net I think the other schools will potentially begin their considerations imminently. Hopefully sooner rather than later!!

It's getting down to the wire. I'm trying not to get anxious. I just don't want to be disappointed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sick to my stomach :annoyed: I can't wait to be accepted. No RCSI interview :bang: But I hope its alright because I have 5 more schools.

Just made an account to post. I received my FedEx'ed acceptance letter today from University College Cork without any other correspondence from AB. My stats are ok: 3.6 GPA, 31R MCAT. My extracurriculars are nothing mind-blowing: two different volunteering programs at a hospital and care centre, around 100 hours each.
I hope everyone else receives good news this week!

Reactions: 1 user
Just made an account to post. I received my FedEx'ed acceptance letter today from University College Cork without any other correspondence from AB. My stats are ok: 3.6 GPA, 31R MCAT. My extracurriculars are nothing mind-blowing: two different volunteering programs at a hospital and care centre, around 100 hours each.
I hope everyone else receives good news this week!
Congrats! Are you Canadian.

I too just made this account to post and hopefully get to know some of my future med school friends. I was just accepted into NUIG. They want a response by April 2nd, which is a bit early I think but still understandable. I am waiting to hear from Trinity still...

Anyways, has anyone else heard from NUIG? Are you planning on accepting it?

HELLO!
Just got accepted to NUIG AND RCSI for the six year program!
If anyone is planning to go into the six year program lets make a facebook group!
I live in Canada btw. Had RCSI interview on the 5th of March , got acceptance letter on the 20th.
Goodluck everyone!

HELLO!
Just got accepted to NUIG AND RCSI for the six year program!
If anyone is planning to go into the six year program lets make a facebook group!
I live in Canada btw. Had RCSI interview on the 5th of March , got acceptance letter on the 20th.
Goodluck everyone!
Congratulations on your acceptance. Wish you all the best

Anyone else been accepted? I also wonder when they will start sending out rejections.

Last edited:
Accepted to NUIG as well!! I'M from Canada also mine came on 17th of March...St paddy's Irish luck I guess! How are y'all planning on paying for it ? loans? family?

Accepted to NUIG as well!! I'M from Canada also mine came on 17th of March...St paddy's Irish luck I guess! How are y'all planning on paying for it ? loans? family?

Yeah Family & Loans!
did you apply to RCSI as well?
any news?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I applied late - for the March 15th deadline.
Canadian
I have 3.67 GPA
HBSc., and MSc.
Extensive Research experience; Great Extra curricular activities (over 400 hours hospital volunteering); Great Internship experience; Research/volunteer abroad; Poster presentations, Scholarships, Awards, etc.
but
26 MCAT 9/7/10
I only applied to UCD and UCC

I am worried. I am getting this vibe.. 'give up if you have lower than 28 MCAT score' from this forum..
Has anyone received an offer with a low MCAT? like me?

Also, do they look at your marks independently? Or do they look at your GPA, MCAT, Extra curricular all together?

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys - I'm a first year med student (Canadian) at University of Limerick for their graduate entry program. This is a cross post from another thread, but trying to make sure it's seen.

I remember this stage last year how I was freaking out.

It was around this time last year (this week I think ...) that we got emails about interviews. Interviews were held in mid-late April.

Just to let you guys know! :) Hang in there.

Hey guys, im a Canadian student, and i got accepted to the six year program at RCSI and NUIG... i've been doing alot of research and im stumped on the idea of how difficult it is for an IMG to match back to North America for residency, can someone please shed some light on the struggles of being an IMG and any stats they are aware about in terms on matching.

CaRMS has tons of stats on IMGs matching back broken down in many different ways. It's great.

Personally speaking, all the people I know (all Canadian) have all matched back to North America (all from Irish schools, and one from Israel)

You have to work hard and be smart about it. But it can be done.

There's also nothing wrong with other 1st world countries in the world (advice given to me by my uncle, very well respected internationally in a surgical field).

Hey guys, im a Canadian student, and i got accepted to the six year program at RCSI and NUIG... i've been doing alot of research and im stumped on the idea of how difficult it is for an IMG to match back to North America for residency, can someone please shed some light on the struggles of being an IMG and any stats they are aware about in terms on matching.

IMG is difficult. If you wish to only live in North America I would do medical school here.

Read this report:
https://www.carms.ca/assets/upload/p...CSA_Report.pdf

A new more updated 2014 report will come out later, but its still in the survey stage. If you are a CSA reading this fill it out, the link is on the UK & Ireland forum titled: CSAs please read.

Match rates are about 70% for Irish grads this is from CIMSA data www.cimsa.ie. From my experience, if you are on this forum and concerned about matching my guess is you are also willing to work hard, that usually is enough to get you in the top 70% in my opinion.

People do match to competitive specialties but for specialties like dermatology, ophthalmology, ENT, cardiac, neuro or plastic surgery they are all impossible in Canada because they usually have 0 or 1 spots a year.

Also remember that there is a stigma to going abroad and a lot of uncertainty which can be unnerving. Most of what really counts for residency comes in your last few years of medical school and prior to that the uncertainty can be unnerving.

Also make sure you are really willing to spend that much of your life in Ireland. If you are a HS student from Canada, by the time you graduate 1/4th of your life would be spent in Ireland.

Hey guys I've been waiting for this time of the year since last year and congratz to all of you who got in!
I don't think I was chosen in first rounds acceptances but I was just wondering if you guys could give me an idea of my chances of getting in.

I had my file completed on jan 17 (they said have that in for mid jan for first rounds). I am a second year student from ontario canada majoring in biomedical science and I applied for the 5 year programs at UCD and UCC. I have a cGPA of 3.83 and have not written the mcat. I sent in my high school marks and the average was 86%. My extra curriculars include volunteer experience such as at a hospital, a cardiac lab, and rehab clinic. My other extra curriculars include work and executive positions in a number of clubs in my university, and being a sports captain and music council president in high school along with some other stuff. I see a lot of people have their degrees and stuff already and I know that makes my academic standing not too impressive. I also didn't choose to get the express mail (why i did that, no idea) so I've been checking the mail box excessively this past week.

Let me know my chances and be honest please! Thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys I've been waiting for this time of the year since last year and congratz to all of you who got in!
I don't think I was chosen in first rounds acceptances but I was just wondering if you guys could give me an idea of my chances of getting in.

I had my file completed on jan 17 (they said have that in for mid jan for first rounds). I am a second year student from ontario canada majoring in biomedical science and I applied for the 5 year programs at UCD and UCC. I have a cGPA of 3.83 and have not written the mcat. I sent in my high school marks and the average was 86%. My extra curriculars include volunteer experience such as at a hospital, a cardiac lab, and rehab clinic. My other extra curriculars include work and executive positions in a number of clubs in my university, and being a sports captain and music council president in high school along with some other stuff. I see a lot of people have their degrees and stuff already and I know that makes my academic standing not too impressive. I also didn't choose to get the express mail (why i did that, no idea) so I've been checking the mail box excessively this past week.

Let me know my chances and be honest please! Thanks

Your cGPA is 3.83 why don't you write the MCAT and apply to Canadian schools?

Your cGPA is 3.83 why don't you write the MCAT and apply to Canadian schools?
The competition in Ontario is ridiculous and my gpa is on the lower end compared to the averages that get in. I would also have to finish my degree to be competitive and I know many people who with averages up to 3.8 after their 4th year still can't get in and end up going to the states after finishing their bachelors or do other programs. If I don't get in this year I will for sure consider doing the MCAT and applying for Canada and at the same time the 4 year program in Ireland. Not having the guarantee of med school in canada even after getting my bachelors really scares me and seems like a big waste of time. I want to be a family doctor and there looks like there's a good chance of coming back and practicing in canada as a GP with he ireland route.

The competition in Ontario is ridiculous and my gpa is on the lower end compared to the averages that get in. I would also have to finish my degree to be competitive and I know many people who with averages up to 3.8 after their 4th year still can't get in and end up going to the states after finishing their bachelors or do other programs. If I don't get in this year I will for sure consider doing the MCAT and applying for Canada and at the same time the 4 year program in Ireland. Not having the guarantee of med school in canada even after getting my bachelors really scares me and seems like a big waste of time. I want to be a family doctor and there looks like there's a good chance of coming back and practicing in canada as a GP with he ireland route.

If you are sure you want to be a family doc its not a problem then. But surely a 3.83 is competitive if you pair it with a 32+ MCAT and ECs?

WOAH i got the irish accent already this is wicked

Hi,

I got accepted for the 6 yr program at RCSI , UCD and acceptance from Queen's U of Belfast (5 yr). I am probably going to decline RCSI due to its high tuition fees (almost double) but between UCD and belfast, does anyone know which school would be easier to find residency?

thanks for all ure help!

Hi,

I got accepted for the 6 yr program at RCSI , UCD and acceptance from Queen's U of Belfast (5 yr). I am probably going to decline RCSI due to its high tuition fees (almost double) but between UCD and belfast, does anyone know which school would be easier to find residency?

thanks for all ure help!

I think UCD might be better for matching back to Canada as you will have many other fellow Canadians on the same route and the school will likely arrange electives so you can do them before you graduate.

The important thing about QUB is that you will be eligible to apply for Foundation years (your internship basically) as well as specialty training in the UK even if you aren't a UK citizen. The other thing you should find out is whether or not your elective period in final year is at the beginning or end. If it is before the deadline for applications you can use your elective to get rotations in Canada otherwise its not very useful. Also find out how long your summers will be in the final years as those will be the few times you can find electives in Canada or study for your board exams assuming you want to match directly.
Since QUB is one year less you'll also save time and money and it allows you to do a foundation year if you want since you will get paid for that.

Otherwise it comes down to where you want to live for 5-6 years.

thank you so much for the reply! it was a lot of help!