Things You Must Not Do During The Dental School's Interview !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would NEVER bring my parents to any interview... are you kidding me? I love you moms/dads, but your not coming

Members don't see this ad.

Is it okay to bring your fiance/boyfriend/spouse?

I think it is pretty well accepted that since you are the one being interviewed, only you should be at the location of the interview. Sure your significant other can accompany you to the city, but don't bring them into the waiting area or meetings or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, and this is coming from someone who used to conduct interviews at old job.... this shows lack of confidence in one's self. You should feel confident about your chances at the school, don't need to ask what your odds are, its kinda of implied since they picked to interview you out of thousands of other applicants.

Besides, the answer to this question is irrelevant... if interviewer indicates you'll get in (or get rejected) its not like thats money-in-the-bank, nothing is written so you can't take their word for it.

I agree with this... i have been in sales the past 3 years and one of the biggest things you are taught, is to "assume the sale". You need to be confident, without being cocky. Assume there is no reason why they wouldn't pick you, assume they want you, and assume you are the best candidate at the interview. Just don't ask the adcom to verify your assumptions, let the confidence portray through your answers and non verbal communication.

Just don't do what this guy did... funniest interview i have ever read!! Haha!!

Ok I am a very very nervous person when it comes to doing something that Ive been worried about for a long time, in this case its the interview. This is my very first interview and is probably my worst.

As soon as I entered the room, my legs began shaking and I was tooo nervous, the dentist told me to take a seat. I sat down and he could tell I was nervous so anyways the whole experience was pretty much bad and what topped the negative experience was this.......................

Interviewer So tell me about your leadership experience?

Me (Very nervous at the moment, In my mind Im thinking I have to come up with something) Well Um I guess um hmm Well when I used to play Halo 3 online with my friends, I used to be the party leader that hosted the games and stuff (In mind mind, did I just take the biggest gun and shoot my self in the foot)

Inteviewer( blasts out laughing)

Me ( I should have smiled to make it seem like it was a joke, but I was too nervous and I had a serious look on my face)........

Interviewer Notices I had a serious look on my face and immediately stops laughing (In his mind, are you kidding me)

So then the interviewer asks me if I have any questions for him

Interviewer Do you have any questions for me?

Me Since you're an interviewer Im assuming you like it and like asking people questions. Why? (WHY WOULD I SAY THAT.)

Interviewer I dont understand what you mean?

Me Never mind I messed up can I ask you another question?

Interviewer Shoot

Me What are the dynamics and the fundamentals of being a dentist (Trying to act smart and intelligent after I exposed my stupidity through out the interview)

Interviewer What do you mean by dynamics

Me Well um you know the um I guess you can say um like the intersocial disciplines between the connection of the fundamentals of being a dentist (WTF DID I JUST SAY!!!!!!!)

Interviewer I don't know I just work and go home.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it okay to bring your fiance/boyfriend/spouse?

No, it's not. If they got an interview invite, bring 'em. But they didn't, so leave that at home.

I found that the most important thing for me was to just be calm during the interview. I felt like my first interview went terribly, I tried to force it too much, anticipate what they wanted too much, and ended up making some big flubs. So for my second interview I tried to remain calm and cool, and just kind of go with it. I talked to the interviewer about where he was from, found some common ground (fishing) and ran with it. We probably talked about fishing for 1/3 of my interview. It was a much better, less stressful interview, and I got in. I do think that being a dummy at my first interview really prepared me for the second one though. So if you screw up an interview, learn from it!

Have an idea about what to expect then just talk, if you just treat it like a conversation it will be so much better I think, if you get nervous talking to people start talking to random everyday people like the checker at the register or whatever. While trying to get into school I have been doing research by day and waiting tables by night. I think small talk with strangers has really loosened me up and I noticed that my interview went much better this time around ( and I got in!).

Additionally, they always ask if you have questions for them, I always feel like such a tool when I don't, I feel like that might be a good thing to have prepared...

Just don't do what this guy did... funniest interview i have ever read!! Haha!!

HAHAHAHAH. I haven't laughed that hard at on online post in a while LMAO. Poor guy...I wonder if he was accepted!

I would say that being properly dressed is very important. Get a suit that fits you well. I think gray or navy in color is your best bet. Black is usually reserved for evening attire and funerals/weddings. In addition, don't get fancy with the tie or shirt. Stick to a conservative look. As for women, I personally believe pants are better than skirts in this case. Wear your hair up, or back in a pony-tail. Don't have your hair covering your face. Conservative earrings/other piercings. Not too overboard with the nail polish, I would even suggest not having any on. Closed toed shoes, maybe a small heel.

For you guys out there who will be wearing your suit for the first time in your life, please read up one some of the basics. We never button all jacket buttons, simply leave the first one buttoned on a two button jacket or the top two for a three button jacket. You unbutton your jacket 100% when you sit down. Your shirt should fit well around the collar and your suit should flatter your shape, don't let it fit too boxy.

During the actual interview, play nice with other interviewees. I have heard from two different adcoms that they do in fact see how your work with others in a high stress situation, simply put-- your interview is a perfect example of how you will compete and work with others in a high stress situation. I would recommend you remain calm and treat the interview as more of a conversation than an interrogation. All it takes is one common interest that you share with an interviewer to turn the stressful interview into a conversation of something you and the interviewer enjoys. They are sitting there all day talking to people, they will jump at the opportunity to converse casually and leave the formal interview stuff for the end. By that point, you are both quite comfortable.

Another point-- it's important that you don't try to tell the interviewer your skills, directly. For example, if someone tells you "I am rich. I am rich. I am rich." You might believe him/her. But, if they say, "I have this house paid off. I drive this car, also paid off. I am putting these children through college. Etc.", you will psychologically convince yourself that this person is rich, and a conclusion that a person makes on their own is much stronger than one that is forced on them.

Remain calm. Look good-- it'll make you feel better. Be nice and friendly to anyone and everyone on interview day. Also, drive well if you're driving to the school. I have heard of a person cutting off one of the interviewers and being recognized during the interview.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that the little label that comes on your left sleeve on a new suit that has the brand on it, is meant to be removed. Don't forget to wear dress socks.

We never button all jacket buttons, simply leave the first one buttoned on a two button jacket or the top two for a three button jacket.

first one buttoned from the bottom right?? likewise, the two buttons from the bottom...

first one buttoned from the bottom right?? likewise, the two buttons from the bottom...

Confusing, I appologize. Button from the top down. Never have the bottom most button buttoned (that's a mouthful and yeah that's what she said). My jacket has two buttons. I only button the top button (closest to my head). If my jacket has three buttons, I would only button the top two, again, closest to my head.

In addition, I would recommend a single breasted suit as they are a bit more trendy for younger people, but if all you have is a double breasted suit, I think it's fine. Just my personal opinion.

Two button jacket with one buttoned-- http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2009/02/09/merona-wool-suit/

Three button jacket with middle button only, acceptable but not preferable-- http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/7889_s.jpg

Three button jacket with top two buttoned-- http://images.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_400/440b_two-button-or-three-button-suit.jpg

Hope that helps.

Confusing, I appologize. Button from the top down. Never have the bottom most button buttoned (that's a mouthful and yeah that's what she said). My jacket has two buttons. I only button the top button (closest to my head). If my jacket has three buttons, I would only button the top two, again, closest to my head.

got it thanks!!

I can't tell since its online, but in case you're not joking, no. Button from the Top.

nope....never really had a chance to wear suits a lot...
got it now tho

got it thanks!!

nope....never really had a chance to wear suits a lot...
got it now tho

Yeah you don't need one too often these days...sorry if I came off as rude, I honestly didn't know if you were joking.

Regardless of how many buttons your suit has, when you are standing, you unbutton only the bottom button. When you are sitting, all of the buttons should be unbuttoned.

Another major thing nobody mentioned is to maintain a good posture throughout the interview. Keep your back straight. When you walk, keep your shoulders back and chest out. Not only does it make you look confident, but it also helps you to breathe more efficiently.

Make good eye contact, but don't forget to look away once in a while so you don't look like a creep.

Make sure you give a firm handshake on your way into their office and another firm handshake on your way out.

If you bring a purse or resume holder, do NOT put it on their desk. Their desk is their personal domain, do not encroach on their domain.

I personally do not sit down, until the interviewer has told me to have a seat.

One time a DS4 interviewed me in her clinical operatory. I had to sit on the dental assistant's chair. If you don't know how to work one of those, you will look foolish, or worse, you fall and look even more foolish.

Do not ever chew gum, use mints during the day, but don't have anything in your mouth during the interview.

When you walk into a 3 person interview, you shake hands with the nearest person to you, then second nearest, then furthest. You don't want to skip over people when you shake hands. When it's time to leave, shake the middle person's hand first, then the person furthest away from the door, then the person closest to the door and walk out. Don't forget to look at their eyes when shaking hands, not at your hands.

Don't forget to smile, not overly cheesey, but always have a pleasant look on your face.

Assume the cameras are rolling as soon as you step foot in the parking lot, and they turn off once you have left campus.

The night before your interview, try to have dinner at a nice/semi-nice restaurant in the city. Even if you are by yourself, it is a great way to reflect on the events that have gotten you to this point. A beer/wine or 2 during dinner won't hurt either. I even jumped in the hot tub at the hotel the night before with a 32oz.

If you bring a purse or resume holder, do NOT put it on their desk. Their desk is their personal domain, do not encroach on their domain.

do we have to bring resumes??? or is that something good to do to stand out

When it's time to leave, shake the middle person's hand first, then the person furthest away from the door, then the person closest to the door and walk out. Don't forget to look at their eyes when shaking hands, not at your hands.

why in this order??? is it the consensus??

do we have to bring resumes??? or is that something good to do to stand out

why in this order??? is it the consensus??

No you don't need to bring resumes. They already have plenty of your personal information. You also do not need to bring a ledger thinking you have copious amounts of notes to pretend to take.

This order because you will look awkward just going down the line. As if the next person is getting a handshake just because they happened to be next in line. If you shake hands to the person in the middle, the person furthest from the door, then the person closest to the door, it makes it seem like you are actively and genuinely seeking their hand.

Also, when speaking to a 3 person panel. Make sure you try and divide your eye contact among all 3 people. Even if the person didn't ask you the question, look at the other 2 in the eye while you answer. The other 2 people are in the room with you, do not alienate them by only focusing on one person. If its a short answer, look at the person who asked you the question. If its a long answer, share the eye contact.

Reactions: 1 user
Great suggestions Houston DAT :) thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your knowledge with us :) :)

Reactions: 1 user
this is from my old job but while you want to try and have a conversation like its your friend something and its not some high pressure situation but drop the slang and/or street lingo. I know it should be obvious but I've seen people who don't realize it.

Personal pet peeve up mine, people who constantly add "you know" to what they said.

Do most interviews take place across a desk or table? Any face-to-face with just two metal chairs in a dimly lit room or two-way mirror action? What about the setup for the MMI/speed-dating interviews?

For schools that bring in a huge batch of interviewees on the same day, how much down time is there? Once all the presentations and tours are done, does it just turn into a pre-dent gab-fest and stat sharing in the lobby while everyone takes his or her turn interviewing?

As for women, I personally believe pants are better than skirts in this case. Wear your hair up, or back in a pony-tail. Don't have your hair covering your face. Conservative earrings/other piercings. Not too overboard with the nail polish, I would even suggest not having any on. Closed toed shoes, maybe a small heel.

Is it alright to wear a professional khaki dress that ends about an inch above my knees with pantyhose or should I stick with a dark brown pant suit?

Last edited:
Are square-toed shoes, a sort of new trend I guess, acceptable for men? Or would you stick to just a normal dress shoe?

I am thinking so too. They are nice Steve Madden shoes. Very comfortable.

Well I mean I am a Tom Ford model, so I will look nothing less than cute for this interview.

Interviewer Do you have any questions for me?

Me Since you're an interviewer Im assuming you like it and like asking people questions. Why? (WHY WOULD I SAY THAT.)

Interviewer I dont understand what you mean?

Me Never mind I messed up can I ask you another question?

Interviewer Shoot

Me What are the dynamics and the fundamentals of being a dentist (Trying to act smart and intelligent after I exposed my stupidity through out the interview)

Interviewer What do you mean by dynamics

Me Well um you know the um I guess you can say um like the intersocial disciplines between the connection of the fundamentals of being a dentist (WTF DID I JUST SAY!!!!!!!)

Interviewer I don't know I just work and go home.

Oh man....I feel guilty about tearing up laughing so hard.

Should we shake hands with the interviewer both before and after ending the interview. Say if there are more than 2-3 then what?

Yes, it was in an above post that you shake hands with people before and after the interview. And, firm handshakes at that!

Best Advice: Before your interview, try to develop a more humble, modest, friendly, helpful individualistic personality.

I know it seems so basic, but it's true! I know many typical arrogant pre-meds/dents that blast their way through undergrad, get their interviews, but blow it from supreme jerky-ness. (Of course they get in somewhere, but I can't help thinking their chances at so-and-so school would be better if they were tad more normal). For those that pretend to become that nicer individual on their specific interview day...its so see-through. You can really tell who is genuine and who isn't.

I'm not one to say change your personality, but the people that are the most well liked in interviews are the normal friendly people. After all, you are going into a profession that demands professionalism, humanism, people skills, and collaboration of work efforts.

Try to work on that personality before Sept!

Do you write thank you notes after your interview? If so, how long after and is it usually via email or mail?

Do you write thank you notes after your interview? If so, how long after and is it usually via email or mail?

I'm not writing anything unless they did something out of the way for me, ie Return my dropped wallet.

I am looking for a new school to call home.
They are looking for a new student to carry on their school legacy.

That's an equivalent exchange in my opinion.

I did mine through Email, although letter is more formal. I guess you have to guage how the interview went. If was a typical run of the mill 30 min interview, then email or perhaps nothing, but if it was a 1-2 hr interview with the interviewer talking about life, then perhaps a letter/email.

Needless to say, the most important people to thank are the committee board/director. The person that read your APP and say hey we should invite him/her. Usually the interviewer is a professor and is assigned to a student interviewee. They don't actually choose your file out of the thousands of students that apply. So make sure to thank the admission committee/head director etc for giving you the chance to interview.

At two schools that I did that, the committee head responded back in a super friendly/happy, if not surprised way, since the usual thank you letter goes to just the interviewer.

Dun do dis

guido-wig.jpg

I was just talking to a school administrator and they said to NOT bring up anything you hear on SDN at the interviews. The school isn't interested in good or bad rumors you have heard. Form a more neutral question from something you saw on here.

Bad: "I saw on SDN that you guys here at NYU cut the bottom % of your class, is that true?"

Good: "What are the procedures for students who are in danger of failing?"

Etc.

Is it alright to wear a professional khaki dress that ends about an inch above my knees with pantyhose or should I stick with a dark brown pant suit?

I think it would be a bit more professional to wear a pant suit. If you would rather go along the lines of a dress, then I would choose a skirt suit. I'm sure the dress is cute and classy, but I would just be afraid that the interviewer(s) would think that you're dressed professionally.

On another note... suggestions on what to bring to take notes? I think I'd feel weird just whipping out a notebook lol, but would it be overkill to bring one of those padfolio things (with a notepad in it)?

Last edited:
Response to thread title:

Sounds like u r willing to be a subservient slave and do whatever your master requests in order to get ahead in the world