Is dental-related volunteering a must?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizzie48

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I’m currently a sophomore in undergrad who is wanting to apply to dental school next summer, but I’m caught up on not having enough dental related activities. I do have a lot of shadowing hours as well as non-dental related extracurriculars (research, volunteering). I feel as though, besides the shadowing, my application isn’t dental focused enough due to lack of work as a dental assistant or volunteering at a dental clinic since there aren’t many opportunities for me to do so where I live (+ I don’t know if I have the time to work as an assistant). I’m worried I won’t have much to talk about in my personal statement as to why i chose dentistry (instead of medicine etc.) because I lack those experiences you get actually working in a dental office instead of just observing. Is dental related volunteering/dental assisting a must? Should I really push to pursue a position doing these things?

Any advice or knowledge is helpful! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I
Hey everyone!

I’m currently a sophomore in undergrad who is wanting to apply to dental school next summer, but I’m caught up on not having enough dental related activities. I do have a lot of shadowing hours as well as non-dental related extracurriculars (research, volunteering). I feel as though, besides the shadowing, my application isn’t dental focused enough due to lack of work as a dental assistant or volunteering at a dental clinic since there aren’t many opportunities for me to do so where I live (+ I don’t know if I have the time to work as an assistant). I’m worried I won’t have much to talk about in my personal statement as to why i chose dentistry (instead of medicine etc.) because I lack those experiences you get actually working in a dental office instead of just observing. Is dental related volunteering/dental assisting a must? Should I really push to pursue a position doing these things?

Any advice or knowledge is helpful! Thanks!
I think it is important to know what it's like to work regularly in a practice. You will be putting yourself through a rigorous education and lots of debt so it's a very small price to pay. Without knowing more, that's my general advice.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't say it's a must, but I think having that experience will help solidify your decision and make writing your PS a little easier, especially when asked "why dentistry" in an interview. I didn't have any dental related experience except for shadowing. I had experience in academic research related to medicine and then had volunteer work with the less fortunate which I think helped me out there. But if you're lacking in something, this would be a way to help make up for it.

Reactions: 1 user