Things You Must Not Do During The Dental School's Interview !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychoboylol123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help and support your fellows by stating "things you must not do during the dental school's interview". Either telling a story or listing wrongdoings out so we can avoid them at all costs. :love:

How would you guys evaluate this situation ? :rolleyes:

The financial aid presentation is 30 minutes and you know you will have an interview right after that without any break. You have been listening for about 20 minutes, but you gotta go to the restroom. The financial aid representative still talks and you can't interrupt the presentation. So you politely walk out and quietly close the door. Then come back right after you finish your "job". Look at the watch, you still have 5 minutes before the interview. Is it considered unprofessional/inappropriate ? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give cliche responses, and be yourself..These people can spot a phony a mile away, its what they do. You got the interview, they like your stats so now they just want to see if you are a good fit.

To the OP: excusing yourself (politely! like you said) is perfectly acceptable. :) I have excused myself during certain presentations and it's not a big deal. Just dont draw a lot of attention to yourself.

PLEASE everyone, just dress appropriately for your interview! I know of someone who dressed casually to an interview because they thought it was more of a tour day for the first half (the interview was the second half of the day). They excused themselves to go change before the interview. Doesnt have to be expensive, but just dress appropriately- it's the easiest way to make a good first impression :)

ALSO! Dont be afraid to pause and think out your answers. They dont expect you to talk the minute the finish their question. Speak clearly, not too fast.

Just do your hw before an interview! Good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Please help and support your fellows by stating "things you must not do during the dental school's interview". Either telling a story or listing wrongdoings out so we can avoid them at all costs. :love:
-if you don't know the answer to something, DON'T try to answer it

-please for your sakes, never say "I am too much of a perfectionist" for the what is your weakness question

-always be "honest" but be smart about. Example: If Money is a big motivator toward the field, DON'T OPENLY ADMIT THAT

-Don't over talk, answer questions with "enough" response and DON'T over elaborate, that never ends well: it causes the interviewer to shoot follow-up questions

-Always ask good questions at the end of the interview, AVOID questions that can be answered by either common sense or internet research... here are some examples:
AVOID THIS: "So what is the passing rate for step 1 in your school"? not a very important question, all dental schools have a pretty high passing rate
AVOID THIS: "So what are my chances"?
BETTER QUESTION: "So, what resources are there for the students to help them with their studies.... Free tutoring? Big brother programs? etc etc"
BETTER QUESTION: "So whats the patient pool like in this area?"

-Eye contact, very important

-If your asked with a question, and its a hard question to answer, its sometimes a good idea to not speak for 3-5 seconds (to elevate your thinking), you'll almost always come up with a better answer than if you just answered right away

-DO NOT TALK ABOUT YOUR BAD-GRADES HISTORY (unless they ask you about them).... you never wanna draw any negative aspect to your self ~ even if it was from 10 years ago

How would you guys evaluate this situation ? :rolleyes:

The financial aid presentation is 30 minutes and you know you will have an interview right after that without any break. You have been listening for about 20 minutes, but you gotta go to the restroom. The financial aid representative still talks and you can't interrupt the presentation. So you politely walk out and quietly close the door. Then come back right after you finish your "job". Look at the watch, you still have 5 minutes before the interview. Is it considered unprofessional/inappropriate ? :cool:

Why would it be unprofessional? when your plumbing calls, you better answer, or.....*insert obvious here*

I mean, obviously, ur going to try to hold it, but if you can't, then you HAVE to go

1. be concise in your responses; don't ramble
2. be genuine - adcom's and interviewers see right through superficial students
3. don't diarrhea in your pants. in the interview or otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
1. be concise in your responses; don't ramble
2. be genuine - adcom's and interviewers see right through superficial students
3. don't diarrhea in your pants. in the interview or otherwise.
What counts as diarrhea?

What counts as diarrhea?

if you have to ask that then i'd just go ahead and recommend the following:

depends.jpg

Yes, please dress professionally. There was one girl who wore a mini skirt that hit mid-thigh and a sweater-like jacket. Girls, if you're going to wear a skirt, no shorter than 1 inch above the knees, please. There was also another girl who wore open toe wooden heels, ones that you would wear with a summer dress. No flashy, colorful nail polish either. I know that we all want to stand out, but these would make you stand out in a bad way to adcoms.

Also, don't yawn or look dazed during the presentations. I know it's long and tedious, but it's important to look like you're interested in the school. If they sense that you're not interested in them, they will be sure to find someone else who is.

Lastly, keep in mind that the interview starts as soon as you step into the school and lasts until you leave the grounds. It goes beyond your 1-on-1/group interview with the faculty. You can be sure that any inappropriate behavior that is observed by the support staff/receptionist during your time there will likely make its way to the adcom. Act professionally at all times.

be honest!
@ one of my interviews, they asked, "what's ur fav movie?"
guess what i said
i said "the hangover"

and I got into that school!

Do not be rude or cold to your fellow interviewees. Yes, they are technically your competition, but adcoms are interested in seeing how you get along with others. By being friendly, you are showing your professionalism and grace under pressure. You are interviewing to obtain a position in a class where you will be exposed to the same people day in and day out for 4 years. Showing that you are easy to get along with will make you a more attractive candidate. Also, keep in mind, that if you get accepted, you might be in a class with other people from your interview group; the last thing you want to do is start your professional school career with burnt bridges. :)

I'll tell you somethings you should do:

Do your homework. talk to current students, find out about the school. you don't wanna look unprepared.

Speak confidently and coherently. Don't ramble.

essentially, you are asking your interviewer for an endorsement. Don't give them any reason to doubt you. be genuine.

All of the above advice is great so I won't repeat it.

My contribution: If you consider yourself funny (confirmed by genuine, audible laughter of others incited by original "off the cuff" content by you!!...just so we are clear :D)then use that to the utmost! Have fun, smile and make others laugh. It's a huge part of what they are looking for. Being too uptight and ultra-professional is a mistake. You're not applying for a job as a CPA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid over-rehearsing responses. Anticipate "the question"-Why do you want to be a dentist? and have a response, but remember you were invited to get to know the school and the school to know you. It's not a film audition.

A suggestion is to make a list of topics/ valid points you may want to incorporate into your responses rather than targeting specific lines of questioning. This will showcase a natural and throughtful reply rather than highlighting your lines.

Most important takeaway from any interview thread..."Be Yourself"

PDizzle said it best. One of my interviewers asked "so how are you doing?" I responded "everything is chicken, but the bill", simultaneously thinking to myself, "what the heck did I just say?" But the interviewer sat there and laughed for a good while. Well to make a long story short, the interview went well, and we had a good time talking. I was just myself, and I think truly think that is all they want the interviewee's to be.

PDizzle said it best. One of my interviewers asked "so how are you doing?" I responded "everything is chicken, but the bill", simultaneously thinking to myself, "what the heck did I just say?" But the interviewer sat there and laughed for a good while. Well to make a long story short, the interview went well, and we had a good time talking. I was just myself, and I think truly think that is all they want the interviewee's to be.

All of the above advice is great so I won't repeat it.

My contribution: If you consider yourself funny (confirmed by genuine, audible laughter of others incited by original "off the cuff" content by you!!...just so we are clear :D)then use that to the utmost! Have fun, smile and make others laugh. It's a huge part of what they are looking for. Being too uptight and ultra-professional is a mistake. You're not applying for a job as a CPA!

Yes and Yes! Great advice. I also agree with being friendly and making friends with the other interviewees there. The adcoms keep an eye on who is migling well with others.

I've always heard that you shouldn't say that you play video games to increase manual dexterity. I do play video games, but I'm not sure if that would be that bad of a thing to say. I, however, chose to stay away from that answer.

Yes and Yes! Great advice. I also agree with being friendly and making friends with the other interviewees there. The adcoms keep an eye on who is migling well with others.

I've always heard that you shouldn't say that you play video games to increase manual dexterity. I do play video games, but I'm not sure if that would be that bad of a thing to say. I, however, chose to stay away from that answer.
I used the video game answer and the interviewer actually brought up robotic surgery and how I might be good at it haha

what does that mean..? thx.

lollerskates.jpg

here is what i have saw some people do: On the interview day

I saw some people being funny with their first joke, then they try really really hard... in one of my interview this guy thought he was the ish... but he never realized that people around him were not laughing at his jokes... some jokes involved balls wtf?... seriously you said that joke in front of adcom's... especially women.

some people just come into the interview room and DO NOT SOCIALIZE, when you ask them a question they answer it in quick pinch... and put their head down... weird people.
I: hey was up?
Dude: nothing much?(puts his head down)
I: so where are you from?
Dude: his state and (puts his head down)
this dude is like 32 years old not a kid either

if you are weird at least try to act normal for 7 hours is that hard?

every interview that i went to people ask you for your stats, I mean it must be similar to them right since we are all their what does it matter just talk normal. If you say i did ok, they will be a pest and say common what did you score seriously? dont look at other people like competition whatever happens happens. do you think trying to step over someone is going to win you favors...

another thing. stepping over people. at the interview room. dont do it, dont try to back stab someone... not going to help in you favor and going to make you look like an as8. What ever happens happens you be prepared for the interview and leave the rest to god... look at everyone around you normally not as a competition.

here is what i have saw some people do: On the interview day

I saw some people being funny with their first joke, then they try really really hard... in one of my interview this guy thought he was the ish... but he never realized that people around him were not laughing at his jokes... some jokes involved balls wtf?... seriously you said that joke in front of adcom's... especially women.

some people just come into the interview room and DO NOT SOCIALIZE, when you ask them a question they answer it in quick pinch... and put their head down... weird people.
I: hey was up?
Dude: nothing much?(puts his head down)
I: so where are you from?
Dude: his state and (puts his head down)
this dude is like 32 years old not a kid either

if you are weird at least try to act normal for 7 hours is that hard?

every interview that i went to people ask you for your stats, I mean it must be similar to them right since we are all their what does it matter just talk normal. If you say i did ok, they will be a pest and say common what did you score seriously? dont look at other people like competition whatever happens happens. do you think trying to step over someone is going to win you favors...

another thing. stepping over people. at the interview room. dont do it, dont try to back stab someone... not going to help in you favor and going to make you look like an as8. What ever happens happens you be prepared for the interview and leave the rest to god... look at everyone around you normally not as a competition.

Well said, I couldn't agree more. One thing I wanted to emphasize is interacting with your fellow interviewees at the start of the interview day, it'll really help loosen you up and feel less stressed. I was pretty lucky to have nice interviewees who were very reciprocating and no one came across as competitive. There were several who asked a particularly uncomfortable question...and that was, "is this your first pick school?" To be honest, a school we believed to be our dream school may not impress us as we initially believed until we experienced the entire interview. Our opinions of schools change with the interview day and it was always uncomfortable for me to answer that question especially when adcoms were around. I would avoid asking your fellow interviewees that question in front of adcoms, it can come across as a little sabotaging lol.

Do not be rude or cold to your fellow interviewees. Yes, they are technically your competition, but adcoms are interested in seeing how you get along with others. By being friendly, you are showing your professionalism and grace under pressure. You are interviewing to obtain a position in a class where you will be exposed to the same people day in and day out for 4 years. Showing that you are easy to get along with will make you a more attractive candidate. Also, keep in mind, that if you get accepted, you might be in a class with other people from your interview group; the last thing you want to do is start your professional school career with burnt bridges. :)
+1 :love:

Last edited:
what does that mean..? thx.

I've just heard the phrase used by older gentlemen in my church all of the time, and it just popped out. It can mean one of two things. One, everything is chicken (or groovy) except for the bill (of payment). Two, everything on the chicken is chicken (edible) except for the bill (or beak). I hope that made sense.

In addition, I was told that if you can put the interviewer at ease, then they'll know you'll be able to put patients at ease, which of course, is important in dentistry. As someone stated above, yes mingle with others (interviewers standing around in the lobby are noticing this), and just be polite.

Last edited:
if your interviews are given after lunch, do NOT eat a lot. your yawning from food coma will just be bad....

You know what's interesting? I just read a study for one of my psych classes about how playing just 10 hours of a video game where you have to use your spatial ability (first person shooter in this study) can actually improve spatial ability and that the results can last for months afterwards even if you stop playing the game.

Wow, what a great thread! Anyone else have any more advice? :D

Do not fall asleep during the financial aid presentation!

Actually, as long as you avoid the carbs you should be fine right?

My reminder is don't chew gum at your interview, and make sure you don't have a case of halitosis (bring a toothbrush in case!). :D

can u tell a joke at the start of the interview ?

I saw this great thing on Yahoo! news about interviewing, instead of at the end asking "What are my chances?" you should ask "After this interview, you have any reservations in accepting me to your school?". It said only to discuss this if you sense the interview goes well.

I agree with this, it is a roundabout way of finding out if you are a good fit for the school or not.

I saw this great thing on Yahoo! news about interviewing, instead of at the end asking "What are my chances?" you should ask "After this interview, you have any reservations in accepting me to your school?". It said only to discuss this if you sense the interview goes well.

I agree with this, it is a roundabout way of finding out if you are a good fit for the school or not.

IMO, and this is coming from someone who used to conduct interviews at old job.... this shows lack of confidence in one's self. You should feel confident about your chances at the school, don't need to ask what your odds are, its kinda of implied since they picked to interview you out of thousands of other applicants.

Besides, the answer to this question is irrelevant... if interviewer indicates you'll get in (or get rejected) its not like thats money-in-the-bank, nothing is written so you can't take their word for it.

After my interviews i just shake hand and say thank you for their time and walk out. I never ask for their contact info or such things like that(i will take it if they just hand it to me). I know for every interview they told as a group when we will hear back if it was after dec 1st.

I never sent a thank you letter either, not necessary.

if you zone out during your f.aid presentation atleast try your best to hear for page turning noise and turn the pages as the people around you do :)

Smile, be funny, polite, interested, honest and POSITIVE. No bashing old employers or co-workers, etc. Listen to crazy loud, upbeat music on the way to the school.
Avoiding negativity and showing that you can make people laugh is what many dentists will say is an important feat throughout your career, express it! If your nervous (which you will be) breath. When you're nervous, you actually can breath slower/differently and it makes you tired and unfocused (higher chance of yawning too, you see this in interviews all the time). Avoid rambling but don't be stubborn and shortworded.
Interning at an HR department for 2 years has taught me a lot about this subject!!!

And as for the video games, mentioning it shouldn't harm you at all, as long as you have other things on your list. If video games is a major part of your life when you like to relax, don't hide that just say it.
Interviewers/adcoms are good at sensing "blank spots" in your answers, or in other words sense that your hiding something. They'd rather see honesty and imperfections, versus a perfect "never did anything in my life" guy who's biggest moment in life was "tending to his pet parrot's clutch of eggs".

Hope i didnt repeat too much!

Smile, be funny, polite, interested, honest and POSITIVE. No bashing old employers or co-workers, etc. Listen to crazy loud, upbeat music on the way to the school.
Avoiding negativity and showing that you can make people laugh is what many dentists will say is an important feat throughout your career, express it! If your nervous (which you will be) breath. When you're nervous, you actually can breath slower/differently and it makes you tired and unfocused (higher chance of yawning too, you see this in interviews all the time). Avoid rambling but don't be stubborn and shortworded.
Interning at an HR department for 2 years has taught me a lot about this subject!!!

And as for the video games, mentioning it shouldn't harm you at all, as long as you have other things on your list. If video games is a major part of your life when you like to relax, don't hide that just say it.
Interviewers/adcoms are good at sensing "blank spots" in your answers, or in other words sense that your hiding something. They'd rather see honesty and imperfections, versus a perfect "never did anything in my life" guy who's biggest moment in life was "tending to his pet parrot's clutch of eggs".

Hope i didnt repeat too much!
This could be catch 22. One of my interview there was this grown guy he was making all the inappropriate jokes. Its like he put other applicants in a situation that by just laughing at his jokes would made them look bad, so everyone just stared at each other and thinking is this really happening in front of adcom's. I suggest that you do not bring up video games you will never know how the other person responds weather if they get too excited and get carried away you dont want that stuff. I say talk about casual stuff and what you do, what are things down there to do etc.. which are short conv. and dont take the you fellow interviews going on a rant.

How about ending with "when do I start?"

Don't do it. All those comments "When do I start", "How did the interview go" "When will I get my acceptance letter" etc. come off wrong. You put the interviewers in a very awkward position and its a little aggressive on your part. Those comments are really overstepping your boundaries and are not cute or funny. Is it something you would say in the middle of the interview? If not, then you need to realize that the interview is not over until you leave the school.

there's a lot of talk about video games going on here and I just wanted to say....that's probably what I am going to miss most when I start dental school in 3 weeks there are so many good games coming out this fall/winter lol

I was chatting with a "professional shopper" the other day and she suggested that I tie my hair back in a low pony tail so I wouldn't be tempted to play with my hair throughout the day and at the interview. I thought this was simple but good advice.

there's a lot of talk about video games going on here and I just wanted to say....that's probably what I am going to miss most when I start dental school in 3 weeks there are so many good games coming out this fall/winter lol

so true

can u tell a joke at the start of the interview?

Don't say this. It will make you sound like a used car salesman.

If you want to ensure an acceptance, I would walk into the interview and in direct eye contact say:
"I saw you from across the hallway, and I felt compelled to tell you..you have an absolutely breathtaking hiney. I wanna be on you"

images

IMO..........Just dont bring your parents. You'll feel like the biggest dork. Feel free to tour the school with them, but I'd keep them out of the adcoms sight.

We had parents asking weird questions in the group presentation, parents cell phones going off, ...

IMO..........Just dont bring your parents. You'll feel like the biggest dork. Feel free to tour the school with them, but I'd keep them out of the adcoms sight.

We had parents asking weird questions in the group presentation, parents cell phones going off, ...

Lol! I think one student from each of my texas interviews brought their parents..When we all had to go around introducing ourselves and what school we went to, the adcoms also gave the parents a chance to introduce themselves, as in "I'm so and so's mother..." I dunno, I feel its neutral about bringing them, even though I probably would not.