Things I Learn from My Patients.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pt: I need to buy some insulin syringes
Me: Ok, do you fill your insulin here? Or do you have your insulin bottle, diabetic card, or some proof of use to show that you're diabetic?
Pt:No, I left my insulin bottle at the house, but I fill my insulin at one of your stores in another town

I look in our listing of stores, find the store, call them and they say they don't even have his name in their computer

Me: Sorry sir, I can't sell you syringes without proof of use
Pt: But I've been drinking and I really need to take my insulin!

He then proceeds to shake his hand, trying to show that his blood sugar was high. Keep in mind, he had been standing perfectly still, looking calm cool and collected, until I said he couldn't buy the syringes.

*Unconvinced* Me: Sorry, but we must have a proof of use before we sell syringes to anybody. We've had problems with drug users coming in to buy syringes.

Pt: Well will the insulin still work if I drink some of it?

I don't know how he was planning to get the insulin out of the vial to drink it, but between me chuckling and facepalming, I think he got the idea and went to walmart across the street

Umm, you're not supposed to ask them if they are diabetic. If they are using syringes to shoot up heroin or w/e, that's fine. There's a reason why there is a government sponsored needle program for intravenous drug users. The whole idea is so that they don't reuse syringes and spread diseases like HIV, hepatitis.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm, you're not supposed to ask them if they are diabetic. If they are using syringes to shoot up heroin or w/e, that's fine. There's a reason why there is a government sponsored needle program for intravenous drug users. The whole idea is so that they don't reuse syringes and spread diseases like HIV, hepatitis.

I agree with you that it is important to have government sponsored needle programs to prevent infection in drug users, but in my state, at least in retail, it is the pharmacists discretion whether or not to sell needles to people without scripts for insulin on file.

It's up to the pharmacist's discretion here as well... we do not sell syringes to people who are not using them for therapeutic purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
We can have all the druggies kill themselves by spreading their diseases to each other. Great solution, isn't it?

I really don't care anymore on who does drugs or not... if they do, they deserve what they get - a meaningless end to a lazy person's life.

On topic however:

- In Houston, the chance of seeing a luxury vehicle increases the likelihood they have Medicaid. (i.e. ghetto Medicaid patients in Benz's - not cool, man, not cool.) (Adding, mostly people who speak English with accents)

- In Houston, the chance of someone having just an ID card (and not a DL with them) increases with the likelihood they have Medicaid. (Adding, in drive-thru)

- Young lovers like to use drive-thru to get Plan B. I tell them to come inside, because we do not sell emergen-BC through the drive-thru (also because I like them walking the walk of shame all the way from the store entrance to the pharmacy counter all the way in the back). They have no problem paying $40-50 in a one-time abort-on-the-go, but they have a problem coming inside... not my problem.

Last edited:
We can have all the druggies kill themselves by spreading their diseases to each other. Great solution, isn't it?

I really don't care anymore on who does drugs or not... if they do, they deserve what they get - a meaningless end to a lazy person's life.

On topic however:

- In Houston, the chance of seeing a luxury vehicle increases the likelihood they have Medicaid. (i.e. ghetto Medicaid patients in Benz's - not cool, man, not cool.)

- In Houston, the chance of someone having just an ID card (and not a DL with them) increases with the likelihood they have Medicaid.

- Young lovers like to use drive-thru to get Plan B. I tell them to come inside, because we do not sell emergen-BC through the drive-thru (also because I like them walking the walk of shame all the way from the store entrance to the pharmacy counter all the way in the back). They have no problem paying $40-50 in a one-time abort-on-the-go, but they have a problem coming inside... not my problem.

See I'm eligible for Medicaid since I file as independent on my taxes, but I live with my parents, I have a car that I pay for but my parents pay insurance. Thus whatever money I make from working, is purely for paying off the car and buying toys(electronics, car upgrades), not to mention any extra money I request from student loans.

Thus, if I go to the pharmacy, I'm likely to be one of those people who roll up in a tuned up Volkswagen CC, dressed well, and talking on an Android while playing with an iPod touch, and present you with a Medicaid card for the prescription.

Reactions: 1 user

On topic however:

- In Houston, the chance of seeing a luxury vehicle increases the likelihood they have Medicaid. (i.e. ghetto Medicaid patients in Benz's - not cool, man, not cool.)

- In Houston, the chance of someone having just an ID card (and not a DL with them) increases with the likelihood they have Medicaid.

Embarrasing patients isn't really doing what is in their best interest. You do not know the story behind their reasons- their birth control method might have failed. They might not even be young lovers either. It could be that the guy is there to support a friend or family member. You should not let your personal beliefs interfere with good patient care.

Futhermore, the ID card = medicaid thing makes sense considering many people below the poverty line cannot afford to have a car so there is no reason to drive.

As for the drug use...it affects us all- in terms of the cost to healthcare (ie to us taxpayers) and an increase the incidence/prevalence of diseases transmitted by sharing needles.

...just some things to think about.

So, if one of these IDU is some hot girl you meet at a party who has been sharing needles, she looks normal like she's not an IDU and you get it on, 5 months later you have HIV. Gonna wish that the government had some needle program right?

I'm not sure about the government sponsored needle program you're referring to, but I did not ask him if he was diabetic, he told me. And to me, it's not fine if they're using syringes to shoot up heroin. I don't see why I should encourage and enable someone someone to do illegal drugs using syringes that I sold them.

If someone came in and said that they wanted to buy some syringes specifically to shoot up heroin, would you really be ok with that? Wouldn't it bother you at all? It bothers me whether they make it obvious or not....

In accordance with the thread topic, I've also learned that $3.30 copay is too much for a 90 day supply of Nexium, especially when you have Medicare and Medicaid. :rolleyes:

Embarrasing patients isn't really doing what is in their best interest. You do not know the story behind their reasons- their birth control method might have failed. They might not even be young lovers either. It could be that the guy is there to support a friend or family member. You should not let your personal beliefs interfere with good patient care.

Futhermore, the ID card = medicaid thing makes sense considering many people below the poverty line cannot afford to have a car so there is no reason to drive.

As for the drug use...it affects us all- in terms of the cost to healthcare (ie to us taxpayers) and an increase the incidence/prevalence of diseases transmitted by sharing needles.

...just some things to think about.

Damn, should have been more clear... they drive in drive-thru and come with just IDs.

Most of the time... it's young lovers. Nothing more.

Even if it's any of the situations you describe... not my own policy, I just enforce it.

Last edited:
See I'm eligible for Medicaid since I file as independent on my taxes, but I live with my parents, I have a car that I pay for but my parents pay insurance. Thus whatever money I make from working, is purely for paying off the car and buying toys(electronics, car upgrades), not to mention any extra money I request from student loans.

Thus, if I go to the pharmacy, I'm likely to be one of those people who roll up in a tuned up Volkswagen CC, dressed well, and talking on an Android while playing with an iPod touch, and present you with a Medicaid card for the prescription.

That's fine and all, but at least (I can assume) you speak English without an accent. Thank you for utilizing your resources and privileges as an American.

So, if one of these IDU is some hot girl you meet at a party who has been sharing needles, she looks normal like she's not an IDU and you get it on, 5 months later you have HIV. Gonna wish that the government had some needle program right?
I'm not stupid enough not to check... anyway, wouldn't do it before marriage... call me old-fashioned, will ya. I got my morals. And I got my chuckles.

Awesome.

I'm not sure about the government sponsored needle program you're referring to, but I did not ask him if he was diabetic, he told me. And to me, it's not fine if they're using syringes to shoot up heroin. I don't see why I should encourage and enable someone someone to do illegal drugs using syringes that I sold them.

If someone came in and said that they wanted to buy some syringes specifically to shoot up heroin, would you really be ok with that? Wouldn't it bother you at all? It bothers me whether they make it obvious or not....

In accordance with the thread topic, I've also learned that $3.30 copay is too much for a 90 day supply of Nexium, especially when you have Medicare and Medicaid. :rolleyes:

I'm perfectly fine with a patient coming in asking to buy syringes for shooting up heroin, steroids, w/e. I don't care, only thing I care about is giving them an opportunity to shoot up without spreading infectious diseases. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't look down on people for using illegal drugs.

You know... I've thought about this a lot, because I would be in a similar situation, but I just don't feel right about it for some reason. I'm going to be filing taxes this year, and I'm almost sure I would be below the poverty line with what I will have made by the time taxes come around. But my parents pay for my car, insurance, phone, etc... and I haven't been renting an apartment for the past couple months so I can save for pharmacy school. I just feel like those government programs should be last resort, almost life or death necessity. If you can afford the insurance, even if it means giving up stuff you DON'T need like cable television, eating out, beer, vacations, etc... then you should not use government funds. Call me crazy, maybe I just don't like tv that much and I know how to cook for myself, but that's just how I feel. Many people actually need the assistance, but I know for a fact that a lot of people abuse it too, and I'd rather not be one of them (not saying you're 'abusing' it, but I would feel weird being on Medicaid since I'm not really living in extreme poverty).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm perfectly fine with a patient coming in asking to buy syringes for shooting up heroin, steroids, w/e. I don't care, only thing I care about is giving them an opportunity to shoot up without spreading infectious diseases. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't look down on people for using illegal drugs.

It's not about looking down on the person or judging them, it's about me not being a part of their habit. If I could, I'd encourage them to get help, not raise my nose at them and get all holier-than-thou. The main thing is just that if I know someone is doing something wrong that I don't agree with, I'm not going to help them in doing it.

We had a carnie storm out of our store after we refused to sell syringes to him. He kept screaming "you're spreading aids! It's your fault!"

It's not about whether or not I look down on it. It's an illegal practice with deadly consequences. We aren't spreading disease by using those needles, they are. By saying we should have sold the syringes to him, you're shifting the blame from the user to the enabler.

From both patients and staff, I've definitely learned there are times you have to put your foot down.

You know... I've thought about this a lot, because I would be in a similar situation, but I just don't feel right about it for some reason. I'm going to be filing taxes this year, and I'm almost sure I would be below the poverty line with what I will have made by the time taxes come around. But my parents pay for my car, insurance, phone, etc... and I haven't been renting an apartment for the past couple months so I can save for pharmacy school. I just feel like those government programs should be last resort, almost life or death necessity. If you can afford the insurance, even if it means giving up stuff you DON'T need like cable television, eating out, beer, vacations, etc... then you should not use government funds. Call me crazy, maybe I just don't like tv that much and I know how to cook for myself, but that's just how I feel. Many people actually need the assistance, but I know for a fact that a lot of people abuse it too, and I'd rather not be one of them (not saying you're 'abusing' it, but I would feel weird being on Medicaid since I'm not really living in extreme poverty).
:thumbup:

I seriously feel like a d-bag saying this because I'm not normally a harsh person, but the more I work and see these things the more my original feelings are confirmed to myself. The thing that really kills me is when people come in screaming about why Medicaid won't pay for their stuff early, or in another state because they're going on a month long vacation to see their non-immediate family graduate from college or something. The pharmacist literally had to explain it like this "If I was Medicaid I would say that if you can afford to take a month long vacation (not working/spending money in another state for 30 days) then you can afford the medicine" And this is coming from a guy who grew up in another country (a communist one) and sort of had to bust *** every day of his life.

I have a dear childhood friend who drives a brand new $75,000 SUV and lives in a $500,000 beach view condo who receives government assistance because her parents bought her all that stuff. So I'm not just biased towards people I don't know... but I just see it so much. I know other people I went to school with who sell drugs and use their food stamps to eat so they can spend all their cash on alcohol and partying. People feel like they are entitled to things like nicer cars, beer, liquor, cable for television, cell phones, faster internet connection, video games, etc. If you can afford all these things... you don't always need government assistance (which they seem to think since no one actually likes purchasing expensive *** private insurance, but we still do it). I say always because I know some people can become medically indigent, or legitimately need these programs to get by.

I don't know if they have a problem coming inside :D

Yes, in all seriousness that does get a bit annoying though....

I don't know if they have a problem coming inside :D

YEEAAAAAAAAHHHH!

caruso.gif

YEEAAAAAAAAHHHH!

caruso.gif

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR3jnW2kcUs[/YOUTUBE]

I usually don't get nervous about going inside if there aren't too many customers and patients around.

It's not about looking down on the person or judging them, it's about me not being a part of their habit. If I could, I'd encourage them to get help, not raise my nose at them and get all holier-than-thou. The main thing is just that if I know someone is doing something wrong that I don't agree with, I'm not going to help them in doing it.

There's nothing wrong with asking them if they wish to seek help to stop substance abuse, however it is a little silly to call health care providers who are providing this service Enablers.

You can't force people to change or to stop abusing drugs unless they are ready and willing to,. What you can do is provide them with a means to decrease the chances of contracting a blood borne disease.

There's nothing wrong with asking them if they wish to seek help to stop substance abuse, however it is a little silly to call health care providers who are providing this service Enablers.

You can't force people to change or to stop abusing drugs unless they are ready and willing to,. What you can do is provide them with a means to decrease the chances of contracting a blood borne disease.

What one person calls "means to decrease the chances of contracting blood-borne disease" another calls "enabling" One exact scenario interpreted completely differently because they are opposite world-views.

"You can't force people to change or to stop abusing drugs unless they are ready and willing to" No offense to you, but this is precisely the attitude which perpetuates the drug abuse. With enough force and public unity on the issue at hand, drug abuse could disappear almost instantly.

We are too bashful, too politically correct to ever effect any useful change. Everyone has got to Ball up, stand united, and demand change. Addicts wont quit on their own, just as An omelet won't make itself. You've got to man up, crack those eggs, and fry them up yourself.

What one person calls "means to decrease the chances of contracting blood-borne disease" another calls "enabling" One exact scenario interpreted completely differently because they are opposite world-views.

"You can't force people to change or to stop abusing drugs unless they are ready and willing to" No offense to you, but this is precisely the attitude which perpetuates the drug abuse. With enough force and public unity on the issue at hand, drug abuse could disappear almost instantly.

We are too bashful, too politically correct to ever effect any useful change. Everyone has got to Ball up, stand united, and demand change. Addicts wont quit on their own, just as An omelet won't make itself. You've got to man up, crack those eggs, and fry them up yourself.

Nope, just legalize and tax the drugs. Why are you so against people using illegal drugs? Got robbed by an addict? Know someone who is an addict?

Yeah, okay buddy.

So, I helped a guy get into trouble with his girlfriend yesterday. He walks (walks!) up to the drive though and asks to pick up prescriptions for 'Lindsey'. After a search didn't turn up anyone by that name, I asked for last name and date of birth... and this clown pulls out his phone and calls her! "Yeah, I KNOW I should know your last name and birthday..."

I got to set and listen to them bitch at each other for almost 5 minutes during the height of rush hour business.

So, I helped a guy get into trouble with his girlfriend yesterday. He walks (walks!) up to the drive though and asks to pick up prescriptions for 'Lindsey'. After a search didn't turn up anyone by that name, I asked for last name and date of birth... and this clown pulls out his phone and calls her! "Yeah, I KNOW I should know your last name and birthday..."

I got to set and listen to them bitch at each other for almost 5 minutes during the height of rush hour business.
This scenario happens to me at least a couple of times a weekend. The angrier they get, the nicer I get (and more redundant) :)

Jacko.gif

That happened to me but I actually knew the couple. The guy comes in to pick up for his pregnant girl friend and I can't find her in the system so I ask for her birthday. He doesn't know her birthday, and they've been together for yearsss and are about the become parents. So I give him a hard time and make him call to ask. lol

That happened to me but I actually knew the couple. The guy comes in to pick up for his pregnant girl friend and I can't find her in the system so I ask for her birthday. He doesn't know her birthday, and they've been together for yearsss and are about to become parents. So I gave him a hard time and made him call to ask. lol

:laugh:

Hail Grammar Nazi. Zing! :laugh:

That's from collegehumor btw. I'd show the video, but it has some inappropriate comments in there (which are funny to some people).

Sometimes you can kinda tell if someone's birthday is coming up if you remember how you were the year before :laugh:

Ok, Sparda, where the eff do you get the time to not only have all of these gif's ready, but know which one is appropriate to use real quickly? XD

He's probably a pro at using Google very quickly :laugh:

Ok, Sparda, where the eff do you get the time to not only have all of these gif's ready, but know which one is appropriate to use real quickly? XD

I have a Photobucket compilation of like 50-60 gifs. I actually get them from another forum called Luelinks. (Invite only forum currently in (No More Invites Status), the administrator/creator of the website is trying to keep the growth of the website down since he's paranoid about the federal government, and he's sick of people leaking the links (movies, music, games, pr0n, software).

yeah i've heard of LL, not a member. sounds crazy.

"What?! My insurance doesn't cover for Trojans?"

^ *sigh*

I once saw Trojans covered by Medicaid. Not sure how, though.

I believe there is a clause somewhere in Medicaid about covering family planning items. At my IPPE last summer, I worked at a community pharmacy specializing in HIV patients, and a lot of the male patients had prescriptions for condoms. So they billed that to Medicaid, it went through, and we just slap a label onto the condom box ("Use as directed as needed").

I once saw Trojans covered by Medicaid. Not sure how, though.

Illinois Medicaid covers Trojans. Honestly, it seems like a better idea to cover the condoms, instead of deny them and then have to cover all the medical associated with having a baby, and then have to cover the baby too after its born.

I believe there is a clause somewhere in Medicaid about covering family planning items. At my IPPE last summer, I worked at a community pharmacy specializing in HIV patients, and a lot of the male patients had prescriptions for condoms. So they billed that to Medicaid, it went through, and we just slap a label onto the condom box ("Use as directed as needed").

Yeah, we just slapped the label on it, too. I didn't know about that clause, though. And, I don't think the average medicaid patient knows about it either so maybe doctors should inform their patients...and then write the script.

Illinois Medicaid covers Trojans. Honestly, it seems like a better idea to cover the condoms, instead of deny them and then have to cover all the medical associated with having a baby, and then have to cover the baby too after its born.

Good point. I would rather pay for a 10 dollar box of condoms than the thousands and thousands of dollars for an unwanted baby, or worse...an abortion just because someone was not careful.

Speaking of babies, what's with all the parents using formula feeding nowadays? I don't know anyone in my family who was fed formula as a baby. They just started us on milk, then Gerber baby food, and then real food. Hell, I still eat the Gerber baby food cans sometimes because it tastes pretty good.

Speaking of babies, what's with all the parents using formula feeding nowadays? I don't know anyone in my family who was fed formula as a baby. They just started us on milk, then Gerber baby food, and then real food. Hell, I still eat the Gerber baby food cans sometimes because it tastes pretty good.

Nothing could replace good ol' fashioned boobie milk. Plus babies get all sorts of good anti-bodies and stuff from mom.

I'm not an expert on this but I know you're not supposed to give babies cows milk for awhile (a year maybe? It's been awhile since my nieces and nephews were that small). So if you can't use breast milk exclusively for a year or however long until babies can tolerate cows milk, you have to use formula.

Now, I won't claim to be a tax expert, but my understanding is that if your parents are providing more than 50% of your living expenses (food/shelter) that you "can be claimed as a dependent" on their tax forms. If they claim you, you can't file as an independent, and thus wouldn't qualify. I believe there's a minimum income component as well, but this sounds more like abuse of the system than necessary use.

Now, I won't claim to be a tax expert, but my understanding is that if your parents are providing more than 50% of your living expenses (food/shelter) that you "can be claimed as a dependent" on their tax forms. If they claim you, you can't file as an independent, and thus wouldn't qualify. I believe there's a minimum income component as well, but this sounds more like abuse of the system than necessary use.

I work for the IRS. Just because his parents provide more than 50% of support (one of the four "tests" of being a dependent) doesn't mean they MUST claim him as a dependent. There is no tax law that states a parent MUST claim their child as a dependent if they provide support. If he works and has federal withholding from his paycheck, he should file his own tax return and get his withholding back if he doesn't owe. The minimum income requirement to file taxes is pretty darn low - and if anyone works and has federal tax withholding, and doesn't owe any taxes because of low income, then they should file taxes to get it back - otherwise you're just letting the government keep your money.

A bigger abuse of the system are the people who claim kids they shouldn't, or better yet, random people they shouldn't, as dependents.

Usually (due to differences in income and thus tax bracket) it is beneficial for parents to claim children as dependents as long as they are legally able to. For a few years when I was younger, due to the amount of financial/living support I got from my parents they were able to claim me as a dependent, but I also made enough that I could have claimed myself instead. My dad would figure out how much he saved in taxes by claiming me and how much extra it cost me in taxes to not be claiming myself and then pay the amount I lost from him claiming me and half the difference.

Yeah, I've told my parents NOT to file me as a dependent. I get more income tax back every year and I'm eligible for more funds for financial aid in school.