Things I Learn from My Patients.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I'm sure that Generation E (Entitled) will definitely work on changing social welfare programs.

:rolleyes:

Yep, gotta love the propagation of the Me-first society

Members don't see this ad.

LOL- you are right...but I thought the me-first generation was generation X? IMO, it's the boomers that have ruined it all :D
Pretty sure it's our technology that's ruining us TBH.

Internet + Faster and faster everything results in impatience which translates into everything.

Then you add on top of that, most of the Me-Generation growing up in a time of relative, if not fabricated, economic prosperity where money seems easy to get and... you have us where we are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure it's our technology that's ruining us TBH.

Internet + Faster and faster everything results in impatience which translates into everything.

Yep, and what compounds it even more is the notion that everyone is 'special'. It was cutesy back in the day when people thought they were special and used that as a motivation to succeed in life. Now people think they're 'special' and think they should have their own damned reality tv show given to them.

Yep, and what compounds it even more is the notion that everyone is 'special'. It was cutesy back in the day when people thought they were special and used that as a motivation to succeed in life. Now people think they're 'special' and think they should have their own damned reality tv show given to them.

Yeah, I saw a lot, lot LOT of this in the Army... It was really disgusting. I was raised really old-fashionedly (IS that even a word? Wife's not around to ask...) where a lot of current mentality would be repudiated instead of encouraged.

Oh well.

Yeah, I saw a lot, lot LOT of this in the Army... It was really disgusting. I was raised really old-fashionedly (IS that even a word? Wife's not around to ask...) where a lot of current mentality would be repudiated instead of encouraged.

Oh well.

I was more or less told when I was younger that I was special and could be whatever I wanted when I grew up which is mostly true.

It's just today someone hears they are special and thinks they are God's gift to everything. It used to be nothing is handed to you in life and you had to work your rear end off to get somewhere. Now all you have to do is make an ass outta yourself on tv or say something controversial and suddenly you're famous.

I work in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Illinois. We are basically personal shoppers. I learn that extremely rich people are not self sufficient at all and need to be fed with a spoon. About to buy some cheap mens cologne from walgreens and charge 10 bucks more than I paid for a lazy customer. Cool huh?

I was more or less told when I was younger that I was special and could be whatever I wanted when I grew up which is mostly true.

It's just today someone hears they are special and thinks they are God's gift to everything. It used to be nothing is handed to you in life and you had to work your rear end off to get somewhere. Now all you have to do is make an ass outta yourself on tv or say something controversial and suddenly you're famous.

An example of everyone being 'special': everyone's kid makes the little league team and everyone's kid is 'gifted' :laugh:

So today I learned that anything can be left on your counter.....even teeth. Yes, I said teeth. Most hilarious thing I have EVER seen in my life.

Couple of quick stories from my friend K, who just recently became a pharm tech after being a paramedic for about 8 years:

This frequent customer always calls in on the doctor's line, and when she's in store always demands immediate and preferential treatment. She insists she's entitled to it, because she's a doctor herself.
Her doctorate is in English literature.

A well dressed woman starts freaking out and screaming when informed her co-pay is $14.00. "You can't charge me for those! My baby needs that medicine! I can't afford that!"
This is right after she had spent the 15 minute wait for the script to be filled by playing $60 of losing scratch tickets. She then threw her Starbucks coffee at the pharmacist when he tried to clam her down.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OH I really want to try this (I am a med. rec. tech. btw)....

No, we will not continue the percocet you've been taking whileyou're here in the hospital because the prescription bottle does not have your name on it.

Also, even though the pharmacist is technically a doctor, it is not necessary for you to bring in your pubic lice in a bag to show her/him what your condition is.

Wow this is fun!

I have one more....

Just because you are a patient at my pharmacy doesn't mean that I know you well enough to go out with you for drinks after work. ESPECIALLY if you are on the Washington's most wanted list. Yes, a wanted fugitive, you heard it correctly. It still makes my skin crawl.:eek:

A well dressed woman starts freaking out and screaming when informed her co-pay is $14.00. "You can't charge me for those! My baby needs that medicine! I can't afford that!"
This is right after she had spent the 15 minute wait for the script to be filled by playing $60 of losing scratch tickets. She then threw her Starbucks coffee at the pharmacist when he tried to clam her down.

I love those customers.

I'm a tech too, one of my personal faves from this summer:

Woman walks in with her kid. This child is infamous for annihilating our shelves in a matter of seconds and her mother is infamous for being totally oblivious.

She wants some sort of homeopathic remedy so I lead her to the relevant aisle and show her some things while waiting for our "master herbalist" to come reccommend something. While I'm talking to her, her mother looks down to find her daughter shredding a box apart at our feet. She tells the child to stop and snatches it away and proceeds to put what remains of the box and it's contents back on the shelf (not even in the right spot) along with the shredded scraps of cardboard--RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I was speechless and ran off as soon as the herbalist came over. Finally I got my voice back and informed everyone behind the pharmacy counter what just happened. One of the pharmacists goes up to her and is like, "Your child destroyed this box, you have to pay for it." The woman says, "Can't you resell it?" Um--NO. Even if we wanted to send the product back to the manufacturer because of damaged packaging, why would we give up on the opportunity to teach the woman a lesson???

In the mean time, half of the staff is basically on baby-sitting duty, following the child around the store and trying to deter her from anything breakable, openable, tearable.... Sigh. They should really make people take a test before they are allowed to become parents.

I love those customers.

Woman walks in with her kid. This child is infamous for annihilating our shelves in a matter of seconds and her mother is infamous for being totally oblivious.

She wants some sort of homeopathic remedy so I lead her to the relevant aisle and show her some things while waiting for our "master herbalist" to come reccommend something. While I'm talking to her, her mother looks down to find her daughter shredding a box apart at our feet. She tells the child to stop and snatches it away and proceeds to put what remains of the box and it's contents back on the shelf (not even in the right spot) along with the shredded scraps of cardboard--RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I was speechless and ran off as soon as the herbalist came over. Finally I got my voice back and informed everyone behind the pharmacy counter what just happened. One of the pharmacists goes up to her and is like, "Your child destroyed this box, you have to pay for it." The woman says, "Can't you resell it?" Um--NO. Even if we wanted to send the product back to the manufacturer because of damaged packaging, why would we give up on the opportunity to teach the woman a lesson???

In the mean time, half of the staff is basically on baby-sitting duty, following the child around the store and trying to deter her from anything breakable, openable, tearable.... Sigh. They should really make people take a test before they are allowed to become parents.
If I ever did something like that I would have had my ass whooped

This one foreign guy (he looked Pakistani, or at least middle eastern) came to the input window one day around closing time and talked to the female tech there. She walked over to me with a smile on her face and told me that I needed to handle the "guy talk." I walked over to the window, and the sheepish little man said, "Do you have anything to make a woman fall in love with you?" When I tried to tell him that there were no pills or pheromone injections that were going to change his misfortune, he asked me if I knew any magic spells. I swear to God. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was hopeless, so I just told him to work his own magic. LOL

This is slightly off topic but takingover's post reminded me.

Way back when, I was taking public speaking. We had a "Demonstration" speech, where the idea was that you'd "demonstrate" something that you're good at, while telling the class how it's done, etc. Common stuff was like, enchiladas, crocheting, etc.

Well one girl decided she wanted to show us how to cast a spell...

Way back when, I was taking public speaking. We had a "Demonstration" speech, where the idea was that you'd "demonstrate" something that you're good at, while telling the class how it's done, etc. Common stuff was like, enchiladas, crocheting, etc.

Were there chickens involved?

A patient calls wanting to fill her lorazepam early. I look at her profile an see a nice big bold "FORGERY" on her profile. I put her on hold and tell the pharmacist.

Pharmacist picks up the phone, "I'm sorry we will not be able to fill your prescription. Why? Because the doctor told us not to fill it because it is a forgery and you have been giving the fake prescriptions to six other pharmacies."

Patient says, "But I'm TRYING to wean myself off of it!"

Oh. Okay. Well if that's the case... Yeah right.

Being in the store 10 minutes (not in line) before the pharmacy closes gives you the right to pick up your rx 10 minutes after the pharmacy closes

Being in the store 10 minutes (not in line) before the pharmacy closes gives you the right to pick up your rx 10 minutes after the pharmacy closes

lol I know what you mean. I call that Sunday nights (especially when the whole day wasn't busy and we were standing around doing nothing) lol...Also, when some people would give us scripts 5 minutes before the pharmacy closes...Spending like 10 minutes to fix the insurance and then the guy realizes the insurance expired and he asks for his script back. I hate it when those types of things happen...

This lady came in demanding her prescriptions and I was unfortunate enough to tell her that here medications have been returned to stock. She then yelled at me to fill them now because she has a flight to catch. I got on my computer and told her that they'll be ready in 15 min. When she left, I started the refill but found that they have no refills left [Oh ****]. I called her back, told her the situation, and instantly she screamed at me and complained how she just came back from other pharmacy, and the people there told her that the prescriptions should be ready at this store [WTF!!! Who told her that!].

Gotta get back to work. ..To be continue.

So today I learned that anything can be left on your counter.....even teeth. Yes, I said teeth. Most hilarious thing I have EVER seen in my life.

I worked at an independent pharmacy where they had a guy who would play with his teeth. While he was waiting for his rx he would take them out of his mouth and toss them from hand to hand. Sometimes he would drop them on the ground, and then just pick them up and continue tossing them. When his rx was ready, he would pop them back into his mouth and come to the register to pay. No one ever saw him wash his hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllix
I love those customers.

Originally Posted by lllix
I love those customers.

If I ever did something like that I would have had my ass whooped

+1

Heard this the other day from a good friend, some guy walks in asking for the recipe for Risperdal. Apparently after looking at Wikipedia and purchasing a chemistry set they have become an expert mixologist.

All I can say is good luck sir, there is a fine line between clever and stupid. :eek:

Heard this the other day from a good friend, some guy walks in asking for the recipe for Risperdal. Apparently after looking at Wikipedia and purchasing a chemistry set they have become an expert mixologist.

All I can say is good luck sir, there is a fine line between clever and stupid. :eek:

The question is WHY would they WANT to make risperdal? Guessing they couldn't afford their refill and since they are most likely either schizophrenic or manic bipolar, I would say it is safe to refer them to the Doc. LOL

This one foreign guy (he looked Pakistani, or at least middle eastern) came to the input window one day around closing time and talked to the female tech there. She walked over to me with a smile on her face and told me that I needed to handle the "guy talk." I walked over to the window, and the sheepish little man said, "Do you have anything to make a woman fall in love with you?" When I tried to tell him that there were no pills or pheromone injections that were going to change his misfortune, he asked me if I knew any magic spells. I swear to God. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was hopeless, so I just told him to work his own magic. LOL

You should have taken him over to the Axe product section of the store and sold him a variety of their products.

I brought in my laptop and demonstrated how to play Counter-Strike.

I brought in my laptop and demonstrated how to play Counter-Strike.

:laugh:

Did you cover things like:

• noobs
  • spawn kills
  • camping
  • headshots
  • screen-watching
  • FPS
  • LAN parties
:laugh:

I wanted to do something like that, Bob, but she said specifically NOTHING where your back would at all be to the audience.

If you could take advantage of one of those nice projector systems they use in pharmacy schools and in huge lecture halls, it would have been fun.

You would stand behind the podium facing your laptop and the audience at the same time, and the audience would see what's on your computer from the huge screen from the projector connected to your laptop. The projector is usually on the ceiling right above the audience and you have a beam of light going towards the huge screen which the audience would watch.

If you could take advantage of one of those nice projector systems they use in pharmacy schools and in huge lecture halls, it would have been fun.

You would stand behind the podium facing your laptop and the audience at the same time, and the audience would see what's on your computer from the huge screen from the projector connected to your laptop. The projector is usually on the ceiling right above the audience and you have a beam of light going towards the huge screen which the audience would watch.

She'd then gig me on "relevancy."

It's not really relevant to a college class to play CSS. In fact, many, many scholars would argue that video games are quite detrimental to academic success.

It amazes me how innocent...or not...people can be. It is not rocket science, just common sense. Women seem to be more sensitive when I ask them for the DOB, I tried my hardest to not let it soung weird but they still get offended.

One pharmacy call
Me: CVS pharmacy may I help you?
Some1: Hey, I decided. Give me 5, I'll pay cash for it. I'll pick it up around 4. Have to have it by 7, you know.
Me: What is...
Some1: Are you sure you have it, check!
Me: What is...
Some1: Ah, never mind, you told me.
Me: Sir, what is...
Some1: Ok, I'll be there and pick it up in a minutes.
Hang up
Me: :eyebrow: ... out loud in the pharmacy-- did anyone talk to someone about something that he'll pay cash for 5 and he needs it before 7 :confused::confused::confused:

Lol guys commonly say that for Cialis or Viagra since they are embarrassed. I even had an older guy apologize for buying it from me. Those drugs are commonly sold in small quantities since insurance companies only cover a few per month or don't cover it at all. :)

Lol guys commonly say that for Cialis or Viagra since they are embarrassed. I even had an older guy apologize for buying it from me. Those drugs are commonly sold in small quantities since insurance companies only cover a few per month or don't cover it at all. :)

I would never judge anyone for what kind of medication they had to take.

Even during patient assessment sessions at school, the people who play patients say embarrassing things, and it might be tempting to laugh, but I never do.

We had to do that in our speech class with the projector. It was rather awkward and I always wondered if we were graded on our speaking ability, or our ability to give an audio/visual presentation. lol

I guess the men I ring out have no shame because none of them ever care. lol Actually it seems like no one is ever embarrassed where I work. Maybe I just have a big sign on my head that says "buy the stuff you might be embarrassed about from me". I've have woman purchase plan B from me with 50 singles. I've had people show me Herpes lesions in the middle of the grocery store. I've seen enough in my life to not care about that stuff... but I know a lot of people who would be immature about it.

We had to do that in our speech class with the projector. It was rather awkward and I always wondered if we were graded on our speaking ability, or our ability to give an audio/visual presentation. lol

Both are important in presentations. People aren't going to be looking at only you the entire time unless you're a celebrity :laugh:

She'd then gig me on "relevancy."

It's not really relevant to a college class to play CSS. In fact, many, many scholars would argue that video games are quite detrimental to academic success.

UC Berkeley offers a course about Starcraft.

This course will go in-depth in the theory of how war is conducted within the confines of the game StarCraft. There will be lecture on various aspects of the game, from the viewpoint of pure theory to the more computational aspects of how exactly battles are conducted. Calculus and Differential Equations are highly recommended for full understanding of the course. Furthermore, the class will take the theoretical into the practical world by analyzing games and replays to reinforce decision-making skills and advanced StarCraft theory.

You can, if you so desire, read the full syllabus via StarCraftWire.net. Homework includes such assignments as picking "one of the following branches of tech trees and reporting on its strengths and weaknesses and special effects." And the final project tasks players... ahem, students with assembling some sort of contribution to the StarCraft collective, be it "an essay detailing new theory or calculations, or an in-depth analysis of a significant game," and presenting it to the StarCraft community "on a public forum for peer criticism." Maybe it's just us, but we got a feeling a public lashing under the harsh, critical eye of the hardcore StarCraft elite will be far more stressful to bear than any test ever could be.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172515

UC Berkeley offers a course about Starcraft.

http://www.berkeley.edu/catalog/pdf/09_courses.pdf

Really? Maybe you can find it in there better than me, but I just could not find it.

I also looked on the referenced "DeCal" site;

http://www.decal.org/courses/index.php

199 courses were approved, but Starcraft was nowhere to be found.

Btw, "DeCal" is not officially sanctioned by Cal (Hence the De-) part. It is run on campus and run by graduate students and some faculty, but that seems like a really weak source for such a bold claim.

I'm not saying I'm right but until I see that in print (Like my wife's Graphic Novels english upper division course, didn't believe it til I saw it) in the catalog then definitely no way that's a real class.

They are pass / no-pass courses, facilitated by students and sponsored by faculty.
You can't even get a grade for it.

So I give a big thumbs down to your attempt to prove me wrong or something.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I've never had anyone act like picking up Viagra/Cialis was a big deal.

Or it could be just that people we see around here don't care too much about what others think, unless they have to worry about being rude or offensive.

Calculus and DE? :laugh:

I guess you could relate some of the scenarios with game theory.

Human Physiology and Anatomy recommended for this one:

soporn0326.jpg

VISUAL AID: Professor Penley screens The Opening of Misty Beethoven in her film-studies class at U.C. Santa Barbara

Once I gave a 20-something lady three different Rx's. Two in one bag and one in a separate bag. Five minutes later I get a call and had the following conversation:

Screaming lady: "I THOUGHT YOU TOLD ME I WAS GETTING THREE PRESCRIPTIONS. I ONLY HAVE TWO BAGS!!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME THE THIRD ONE?"

Me: "What's your last name ma'am?"

She yells it, I look it up and remember.

"Ma'am there were two bags... the one with two prescription labels has two different medications in it. Did you open up the bags?"

Lady: "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THERE WERE TWO IN THE SAME BACK HOW THE F- AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW I NEED TO OPEN UP THE BAGS????"

Sorry?

Pt: I need to buy some insulin syringes
Me: Ok, do you fill your insulin here? Or do you have your insulin bottle, diabetic card, or some proof of use to show that you're diabetic?
Pt:No, I left my insulin bottle at the house, but I fill my insulin at one of your stores in another town

I look in our listing of stores, find the store, call them and they say they don't even have his name in their computer

Me: Sorry sir, I can't sell you syringes without proof of use
Pt: But I've been drinking and I really need to take my insulin!

He then proceeds to shake his hand, trying to show that his blood sugar was high. Keep in mind, he had been standing perfectly still, looking calm cool and collected, until I said he couldn't buy the syringes.

*Unconvinced* Me: Sorry, but we must have a proof of use before we sell syringes to anybody. We've had problems with drug users coming in to buy syringes.

Pt: Well will the insulin still work if I drink some of it?

I don't know how he was planning to get the insulin out of the vial to drink it, but between me chuckling and facepalming, I think he got the idea and went to walmart across the street