There's no purpose to the first 2 years of medical school. Change my mind.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My stepfather grew up in an Asian country. He was a C student over there but interestingly enough, he graduated at the top of his highschool/college here in the US and later went on to study medicine at a school in the north east.

He explained that the way it's set up in Japan is kids are regimented since day one to adhere to very high expectations and are constantly having to undergo high stakes exams that determine which middle school and high school they get into which then determines what type of career and/or higher level education (i.e. med school) is available to them.

Compare this with the American system where you can do poorly on the SAT and graduate from an a lesser funded high school/college and still have a very real chance of going to med school rather than having that door shut at such a young age. I know a guy who was a screw off in high school, graduated with a trash GPA and even came close to getting expelled but now studies at Harvard Law just by being allowed the opportunity to go to a community college, transfer to a prestigious four year University and destroy the LSAT. For what it's worth, my step dad has told me that he prefers the American system because it allows you to have this type of mobility in choosing a career at any point of one's academic journey.

The reason I point this out is not to necessarily change your mind about how sh*tty the status quo is here. FWIW I do agree with a lot of your points but my aim is simply to question the line of thinking that the grass is greener in other countries just because they churn out doctors at a younger age when the reality is that they may have it harder than us in a lot of other ways that may not seem obvious.

Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that having time to discover for yourself some sort of passion for medicine before making the plunge is ultimately to your benefit and the system here in the US allows for this type of exploration. That in and of itself is something you shouldn't take for granted.

Just my two cents.

True, they have more rigorous school system based on people just competing and gunners while they are still in school... Private schools in US are very similar if not better... most of my med school friends were in private schools where competition was fierce....
I do understand that public schools are not great... but I did not have a lot of public school students with me as my colleagues.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the point of preclinical year’s is also about making you into a person who will look respectable walking into a hospital when you finally do get to rotations. Idk about your school but ours requires us to run an endless gauntlet of simulations with standardized patients and our classmates. Much of it is hands on.
If you just studied for step, killed it, and went straight to rotations, you would in all likelihood be a glorified premed with extra trivia knowledge. My attitude and way of conducting myself has completely changed (for the better I think) in terms of knowing how to act professional when I need to, and I credit it mainly to the “useless activities” imposed by my school in years 1-2. My only problem is that sometimes it literally seems like the faculty are activity trying to kill your USMLE score with literally pointless busy work/activities. So it’s def a win-lose but more so a win imo.

Note: I will never be a fan of ANY mandatory lectures and omm labs can piss right on off.

Reactions: 1 users
He explained that the way it's set up in Japan is kids are regimented since day one to adhere to very high expectations and are constantly having to undergo high stakes exams that determine which middle school and high school they get into which then determines what type of career and/or higher level education (i.e. med school) is available to them.

Compare this with the American system where you can do poorly on the SAT and graduate from an a lesser funded high school/college and still have a very real chance of going to med school rather than having that door shut at such a young age. I know a guy who was a screw off in high school, graduated with a trash GPA and even came close to getting expelled but now studies at Harvard Law just by being allowed the opportunity to go to a community college, transfer to a prestigious four year University and destroy the LSAT. For what it's worth, my step dad has told me that he prefers the American system because it allows you to have this type of mobility in choosing a career at any point of one's academic journey.

I was a high school dropout, and now I’m a 3rd year medical student. So I obviously prefer the American system of academic mobility.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If people are worried about maturity or whatever, just make med school longer. We all have curricula with holes in them that we try desperately to fill while studying for boards. It wouldn’t be such a mad dash with more time AND we could actually focus on learning things that are useful like procedural skills, research methods, better focused physical exam skills, etc.

I’m not necessarily for shortening med school per se. I just think it would be cool if it was more worthwhile.

Reactions: 1 user
If people are worried about maturity or whatever, just make med school longer. We all have curricula with holes in them that we try desperately to fill while studying for boards. It wouldn’t be such a mad dash with more time AND we could actually focus on learning things that are useful like procedural skills, research methods, better focused physical exam skills, etc.

I’m not necessarily for shortening med school per se. I just think it would be cool if it was more worthwhile.
Excellent idea!

How about an 8 year curriculum, whereby you have four years to learn how to learn, study something you really are interested in, and prove that you can handle med school...followed by four years of medical education, first preclinical, then clinical.

Oh wait...we already have that.

Reactions: 10 users
I was a high school dropout, and now I’m a 3rd year medical student. So I obviously prefer the American system of academic mobility.

I am also a high school dropout and a board certified anesthesiologist. I dropped out and went directly to college because I felt at the time that senior year of high school would not be a good use of my time. Also finished college in 7 semesters. It could have been 6 but I planned badly and needed one more course for my major. There is a lot of extra time and money built into the system that not everybody needs.

maybe we need to reform high school education???

This is something I think needs to happen regardless of the current discussion. High school really is kind of a joke in most places.
Europeans graduate HS at 17-18 and Germans even had an extra year for some time graduating at 18-19. Practicing without a residency is unheard of in modern Europe. It used to be that you could practice only as a gp without residency, but as far as I know this changed in the 80s. The youngest doctors graduate a few months shy of 24.
Plus some countries have a mandatory internship between med school and residency. In my country it's twelve months in an area of need, for example.

The average incoming medical student in the US is about 24 I think. So US students are generally starting about the same time as students in other countries are finishing.

As to the conversation as a whole, I think the mobility afforded in the US is a massive strength. Having to decide what one's career will be as a high schooler is a really bad thing honestly. That's how you get a bunch of test crushing robots who only know how to do academics and little else.

Reactions: 4 users
This is something I think needs to happen regardless of the current discussion. High school really is kind of a joke in most places.

The average incoming medical student in the US is about 24 I think. So US students are generally starting about the same time as students in other countries are finishing.

As to the conversation as a whole, I think the mobility afforded in the US is a massive strength. Having to decide what one's career will be as a high schooler is a really bad thing honestly. That's how you get a bunch of test crushing robots who only know how to do academics and little else.

Ideally both should he an option. But just have higher thresholds for early starters, when it comes to judging maturity during app process. American high schools are heterogenous. Some can handle going into an abbreviated type of program post high school.

Current system benefit of second chance type applicant should he kept too.

Excellent idea!

How about an 8 year curriculum, whereby you have four years to learn how to learn, study something you really are interested in, and prove that you can handle med school...followed by four years of medical education, first preclinical, then clinical.

Oh wait...we already have that.
I was thinking more like just the pre reqs for med school followed by a longer med school that spent more time on training us for practice. That way we’d be prepared to be generalists straight out of med school like they are in other countries but still take the same ~8 years.

I think the current system of getting a bachelors degree full of more filler than relevance is a colossal waste of time. Also, considering how much crap we do in med school, I think it’s ridiculous that we still a post med school year just to be sure we’re safe enough to probably not kill someone (intern year). Considering that I need a year after med school to learn medicine well enough to then start residency tells me that med school/physician training is terribly inefficient.

I was thinking more like just the pre reqs for med school followed by a longer med school that spent more time on training us for practice. That way we’d be prepared to be generalists straight out of med school like they are in other countries but still take the same ~8 years.

I think the current system of getting a bachelors degree full of more filler than relevance is a colossal waste of time. Also, considering how much crap we do in med school, I think it’s ridiculous that we still a post med school year just to be sure we’re safe enough to probably not kill someone (intern year). Considering that I need a year after med school to learn medicine well enough to then start residency tells me that med school/physician training is terribly inefficient.
It's not a waste of time because most pre-meds never go to med school.

I think the current system of getting a bachelors degree full of more filler than relevance is a colossal waste of time.

It’s unfortunate that you think everything g that doesn’t directly move the football wrt becoming a doctor is a “colossal waste of time.”

• Love
It’s unfortunate that you think everything g that doesn’t directly move the football wrt becoming a doctor is a “colossal waste of time.”
For real... if med school was 6 years and you skipped undergrad, you would 100-% produce a whole lot of reallly young socially awkward doctors lol

For real... if med school was 6 years and you skipped undergrad, you would 100-% produce a whole lot of reallly young socially awkward doctors lol
What's the difference in the long run? Are patients in Europe dying in masses or even just getting suboptimal care because of this? I doubt it. It's really hard to say which way is better. 24 and 26 aren't THAT different.

Members don't see this ad :)

I do not think the rest of the world would agree with you that 100% of their doctors is socially awkward. (The fact is that their doctors are fine).

By what you are saying, there would be no socially akward doctor produced by the current system. Also, the doctors from the time that med schools required only 60-90 college credits for admission would be all socially awkward. Or the doctors who graduated from 6 year accelerated BA/MD programs here in the U.S. would be 100% weirdos :unsure:

Reactions: 3 users
What's the difference in the long run? Are patients in Europe dying in masses or even just getting suboptimal care because of this? I doubt it. It's really hard to say which way is better. 24 and 26 aren't THAT different.
Cultural differences combined with higher expectations from high school graduates.

I do not think the rest of the world would agree with you that 100% of their doctors is socially awkward. (The fact is that their doctors are fine).

By what you are saying, there would be no socially akward doctor produced by the current system. Also, the doctors from the time that med schools required only 60-90 college credits for admission would be all socially awkward. Or the doctors who graduated from 6 year accelerated BA/MD programs here in the U.S. would be 100% weirdos :unsure:
There are some weirdos that come out of the BA/MD program that I am familiar with, but this is just anecdotal. There is gonna be some weirdos regardless, But my real point is that I think there is a lot to be gained developmentally from a traditional 4 year college experience that would be missed in a 6 year medical program. Personally, I matured tremendously and met my social circle during undergrad. I wouldn’t have if I was studying medicine instead.

It’s more like the difference between 24 and 28 tbh. It’s not very common, at least at my school, to be graduating at 26.

There are some weirdos that come out of the BA/MD program that I am familiar with, but this is just anecdotal. There is gonna be some weirdos regardless, But my real point is that I think there is a lot to be gained developmentally from a traditional 4 year college experience that would be missed in a 6 year medical program. Personally, I matured tremendously and met my social circle during undergrad. I wouldn’t have if I was studying medicine instead.

I always heard the pharse "evidence-based medicine". To me, medicine is trying to be as much scientific as possible.

Yet a lot of things in U.S. med school admission, IMHO, is not evidence-based at all.

Anecdote and personal experience aside, I would like to see more peer-reviewed studies and research that support your points. On the other hand, the fact is that the rest of the world has ben doing fine with admitting students straight out of high school, or having a minimum requirements + standardized test scores for med school admission. (Not like any of us is in any position to change anything, but I was just thinking if the process could be more economical (time and money), transparent, and fair to all by looking at the way the rest of the world is doing things).

Last edited:

Why exactly can’t you mature and make friends while studying medicine?

Why exactly can’t you mature and make friends while studying medicine?
You can make freinds and be mature in medical school. But in my opinion, the normal college experience is not attainable studying 8 hours a day, like we do in medical school.

I liked some of the fluff classes. Really enjoyed random stuff like mythology for example. If tuition was free then hey, why not I guess? But I’m footing the bill. Most of us probably spent 10-20k on becoming more “well-rounded” which is silly in and of itself since we’re also supposed to pad our CV’s with tons of crap showing interest in being a doctor. The fact that we all waste A LOT of money on unrelated classes for the purposes of being older by the time we graduate literally means it’s a waste of time.

For the record, I’m a non trad career changer and didn’t grow up or mature or whatever other magical things happen when you pay an undergrad institution tons of money to put letters on your transcript.

I don’t think anyone would stop those if you who want to spend your future earnings on courses I deem pointless. But I don’t see why we should all have to when there’s <10 classes that are even required for admissions.

I liked some of the fluff classes. Really enjoyed random stuff like mythology for example. If tuition was free then hey, why not I guess? But I’m footing the bill. Most of us probably spent 10-20k on becoming more “well-rounded” which is silly in and of itself since we’re also supposed to pad our CV’s with tons of crap showing interest in being a doctor. The fact that we all waste A LOT of money on unrelated classes for the purposes of being older by the time we graduate literally means it’s a waste of time.

For the record, I’m a non trad career changer and didn’t grow up or mature or whatever other magical things happen when you pay an undergrad institution tons of money to put letters on your transcript.

I don’t think anyone would stop those if you who want to spend your future earnings on courses I deem pointless. But I don’t see why we should all have to when there’s <10 classes that are even required for admissions.

I don’t have a particularly strong opinion on this. But I read that entire post in Piccolos voice. So that was fun.

• Haha

I feel like I have to say this every month (for this type of thread and those wanting to shorten med school), but it seems like the easy fix is to do something about tuition rather than overhaul a system that we've used for decades with proven results.

• Love
I feel like I have to say this every month (for this type of thread and those wanting to shorten med school), but it seems like the easy fix is to do something about tuition rather than overhaul a system that we've used for decades with proven results.

Something can be done about tuition. First, you make the process efficient with primarily online education for the preclinical years. Second, you devise the most efficient third and fourth year of school and drive efficient bargains with hospitals and clinical teachers. Third you only charge the medical students for the actual cost of their education and tell every unfunded researcher, every policy dart thrower and every bureaucrat to get their own funding or get lost. That's how you do something about tuition.

Something can be done about tuition. First, you make the process efficient with primarily online education for the preclinical years. Second, you devise the most efficient third and fourth year of school and drive efficient bargains with hospitals and clinical teachers. Third you only charge the medical students for the actual cost of their education and tell every unfunded researcher, every policy dart thrower and every bureaucrat to get their own funding or get lost. That's how you do something about tuition.

I though he was talking about undergrad tuition.

My hot take on that is that there are too many colleges, too many majors and too much easy money.

Yup. These are practical ways to reduce tuition. But unfortunately the opposite is happening in real life. Every few years my school announces tuition hikes. Ridiculous.

No sarcasm- the only drawback to this idea would be the lack of cadavers for anatomy, but I think the recent development of VR/AR/holograms can be an even better option for anatomy and physiology education.
Didnt go to a single anatomy lab last year. Cadaver dissection is a waste of time lol

• Angry
I think I’m an anomaly in this current climate of anti-student loan debt and anti-liberal arts education, but I hate hate hate when anyone says that they should only have to take things that are directly pertinent to their job, or that certain degrees are useless. I am very pro- broad-based, well-rounded, liberal arts education.

I personally graduated with like 220 credit hour single major bachelor degree prior to medical school because I took elective electives in a variety of subjects. Now, I’m not saying that everyone should have to go to that extreme before medical school, but we should definitely keep the requirement of a full, complete bachelor degree.
Agreed in general, hence my username+avatar. We took a similar path with regards to school. That said, I don't think it has to happen in a university classroom these days. In fact, it probably should not. The internet is a great way to learn about the arts, doesn't cost much, and can be done at your own pace. I also believe that this type of stuff is what makes a physician a physician. Histology can be a drag but it's also another thing on the list that justifies our salaries and places in society over a fly-by-night midlevel. Look at the famous historical physicians and tell me that's not the type of person you want to be.

Philosophically, being well-rounded is an ethical obligation to society given an individual has the opportunity to achieve it. The world needs more people who can fix their gutter, change their oil, and talk about literature NOT less.

Last edited:
  • Love
I think the point of preclinical year’s is also about making you into a person who will look respectable walking into a hospital when you finally do get to rotations. Idk about your school but ours requires us to run an endless gauntlet of simulations with standardized patients and our classmates. Much of it is hands on.
If you just studied for step, killed it, and went straight to rotations, you would in all likelihood be a glorified premed with extra trivia knowledge. My attitude and way of conducting myself has completely changed (for the better I think) in terms of knowing how to act professional when I need to, and I credit it mainly to the “useless activities” imposed by my school in years 1-2. My only problem is that sometimes it literally seems like the faculty are activity trying to kill your USMLE score with literally pointless busy work/activities. So it’s def a win-lose but more so a win imo.

Note: I will never be a fan of ANY mandatory lectures and omm labs can piss right on off.
Dude lol dont get me started on required OMM labs. Skipped like 80% of them and almost got murked for it even though I was doing very well on the exams/practicals. Great strategy if you want to spend your time wisely and your school and the entire OMM faculty to hate you in the process-i would never do it again. To any premeds and rising M1s do NOT do this lmao

Agreed in general, hence my username+avatar. We took a similar path with regards to school. That said, I don't think it has to happen in a university classroom these days. In fact, it probably should not. The internet is a great way to learn about the arts, doesn't cost much, and can be done at your own pace.

yup, the power of the internet.

I also believe that this type of stuff is what makes a physician a physician. Histology can be a drag but it's also another thing on the list that justifies our salaries and places in society over a fly-by-night midlevel. Look at the famous historical physicians and tell me that's not the type of person you want to be.

Philosophically, being well-rounded is an ethical obligation to society given an individual has the opportunity to achieve it. The world needs more people who can fix their gutter, change their oil, and talk about literature NOT less.

speaking about midlevel practitioners , I remember reading that one of the main reasons for them is the scarcity of doctors in rural areas and poor neighborhoods.

But I am thinking, are they not suffering from the same maldistribution (i.e., concentrating in affluent metro area) problem like physicians? If they do, producing more of those midlevel practitioners to try to solve the problem of doctor shortage is probably not the way to go.

Maybe the right solution to the doctor shortage problem is just to produce / import more doctors and increase the incentives and recruiting efforts to the needed area instead???

anyway, I did not think much of the term "midlevel" (as even the WHO uses that term, Mid-Level health workers) until I read these,

in the real world, I do not think that I would need my plumber or electrician or car mechanic or even doctor to cite a poem or talk politics or philosophy or literature. I prefer just having my problems fixed, now (and if possible, inexpensive). But I only can speak for myself of course :)

Last edited:

speaking about midlevel practitioners , I remember reading that one of the main reasons for them is the scarcity of doctors in rural areas and poor neighborhoods.

But I am thinking, are they not suffering from the same maldistribution (i.e., concentrating in affluent metro area) problem like physicians? If they do, producing more of those midlevel practitioners to try to solve the problem of doctor shortage is probably not the way to go.

Maybe the right solution to the doctor shortage problem is just to produce / import more doctors and increase the incentives and recruiting efforts to the needed area instead???

anyway, I did not think much of the term "midlevel" (as even the WHO uses that term, Mid-Level health workers) until I read these,

in the real world, I do not think that I would need my plumber or electrician or car mechanic or even doctor to cite a poem or talk politics or philosophy or literature. I prefer just having my problems fixed, now (and if possible, inexpensive). But I only can speak for myself of course :)
One of the biggest lies of mid-level propaganda revolves around this topic. No one goes to undesirable places because they suck. Hence the description. Being a nurse doesn't suddenly make you want to go there but a fake PR moral crusade by NPs would have you believe that they do while they all actually go work for the suburban surgical specialty offices and derm lol.

As to the last point, life and community cannot be reduced down to your professional transactions. Everyone has a better time when the average American isn't as dumb as a box of rocks and gets tricked into thinking being a xyz profession gives them an excuse to stop all other education.

• Love
One of the biggest lies of mid-level propaganda revolves around this topic. No one goes to undesirable places because they suck. Hence the description. Being a nurse doesn't suddenly make you want to go there but a fake PR moral crusade by NPs would have you believe that they do while they all actually go work for the suburban surgical specialty offices and derm lol.

As to the last point, life and community cannot be reduced down to your professional transactions. Everyone has a better time when the average American isn't as dumb as a box of rocks and gets tricked into thinking being a xyz profession gives them an excuse to stop all other education.

Appreciate you for great discussion! I sometimes got sucked into sarcasm and other things so sorry for that last point there.

I understand what you are saying there. But I am just saying that when the rest of the world is doing fine with minimal requirement, we have to ask ourselves that if we do this efficiently? Most of the liberal art requirement of a bachelor's degree could be done for ~ 60-90 credits, the rest of the degree is just classes to fill for the major's requirement.

And so, like someone said above, why stopping at bachelor's degree? Why not master? PhD? I do not see the U.S. MDs of old time or 6 year MD/BA programs having problems with maturity or "well-roundedness". I think those kinds of problems are more personal than having anything to do with not having a bachelor.

Like someone also said above, paying undergrad institutions tons of money does not necessarily translate one into being more mature or "well-rounded". I think they are just taking more classes and spending more time in college. And what does that really do if not making more money for schools?

Enriching oneself is a life long journey. Smart people will do that anyway regardless and even earlier than most people. One does not need to go to school for all that. Like you said, use the internet or something. IMHO, you can do that on your own while studying medicine too :)

• Love

Its the same trash that DO schools use to expand. Ironically, I recall reading somewhere on here that theres more DOs going into underserved/rural areas than NPs.

Appreciate you for great discussion! I sometimes got sucked into sarcasm and other things so sorry for that last point there.

I understand what you are saying there. But I am just saying that when the rest of the world is doing fine with minimal requirement, we have to ask ourselves that if we do this efficiently? Most of the liberal art requirement of a bachelor's degree could be done for ~ 60-90 credits, the rest of the degree is just classes to fill for the major's requirement.

And so, like someone said above, why stopping at bachelor's degree? Why not master? PhD? I do not see the U.S. MDs of old time or 6 year MD/BA programs having problems with maturity or "well-roundedness". I think those kinds of problems are more personal than having anything to do with not having a bachelor.

Like someone also said above, paying undergrad institutions tons of money does not necessarily translate one into being more mature or "well-rounded". I think they are just taking more classes and spending more time in college. And what does that really do if not making more money for schools?

Enriching oneself is a life long journey. Smart people will do that anyway regardless and even earlier than most people. One does not need to go to school for all that. Like you said, use the internet or something. IMHO, you can do that on your own while studying medicine too :)
Briefly, I believe this works in other countries because there is a greater emphasis on pride in education and culture in general. We agree that it definitely doesn't need to happen in an expensive BS college classroom. It needs to happen at home with family. For example, kids are told from a young age "be good at sports and don't worry about this or that" then they unsurprisingly fail to become a professional athlete but have neglected other aspects of their lives because they just knew they were going to make it (lol). We have a lot of versions of that same theme.

Honestly, I think a lot of the talk about medical education would go away if most med schools weren't filled with garbage admin and if high school was stronger here. Most Americans kids need college to be the way it is because they are a product of a system that doesn't encourage becoming an adult in high school where it should be happening. I think talk of shortening med school is because it seems like an easier way to fix the timeline than the real issue. That's not to say it could not be improved as well.

Its the same trash that DO schools use to expand. Ironically, I recall reading somewhere on here that theres more DOs going into underserved/rural areas than NPs.

that is funny, and sad. But at least DO are still physicians / doctors.

Briefly, I believe this works in other countries because there is a greater emphasis on pride in education and culture in general. We agree that it definitely doesn't need to happen in an expensive BS college classroom. It needs to happen at home with family. For example, kids are told from a young age "be good at sports and don't worry about this or that" then they unsurprisingly fail to become a professional athlete but have neglected other aspects of their lives because they just knew they were going to make it (lol). We have a lot of versions of that same theme.

Honestly, I think a lot of the talk about medical education would go away if most med schools weren't filled with garbage admin and if high school was stronger here. Most Americans kids need college to be the way it is because they are a product of a system that doesn't encourage becoming an adult in high school where it should be happening. I think talk of shortening med school is because it seems like an easier way to fix the timeline than the real issue. That's not to say it could not be improved as well.

agreed.

maybe I just went to a decent high school, but what aspects of high school are considered a joke in the US?

Let's keep thread on topic, eh?

I though he was talking about undergrad tuition.

My hot take on that is that there are too many colleges, too many majors and too much easy money.
Undergraduate tuition for most people at in their instate state supported undergraduate school is about $10,000 per year. Throw in room & board etc. and you're talking about $17,000 per year. That's chump change compared to the cost of medical school for most people.

If you are a non resident at a state medical school you will pay up to $90,000 per year at places like South Carolina, Michigan State and Illinois. If you don't get aid at a private school you'll pay up to $65,000 per year. This does not include living expenses. This can not be justified based on the underlying costs. Right now Rocky Vista charges $54,000 per year and it's a for profit institution. Before you scream "inferior education" Here's Rocky Vista's match list:

Please note that all of the transitional spots are military. Those folks are going to be medical officers for their hitch. Then they'll do a real residency.

If Rocky Vista can stay "in business" and satisfy their owners at $54,000 per year of tuition, what is RVU's actual cost per student?

Last edited:
Undergraduate tuition for most people at in their instate state supported undergraduate school is about $10,000 per year. Throw in room & board etc. and you're talking about $17,000 per year. That's chump change compared to the cost of medical school for most people.

If you are a non resident at a state medical school you will pay up to $90,000 per year at places like South Carolina, Michigan State and Illinois. If you don't get aid at a private school you'll pay up to $65,000 per year. This does not include living expenses. This can not be justified based on the underlying costs. Right now Rocky Vista charges $54,000 per year and it's a for profit institution. Before you scream "inferior education" Here's Rocky Vista's match list:

Please note that all of the transitional spots are military. Those folks are going to be medical officers for their hitch. Then they'll do a real residency.

If Rocky Vista can stay "in business" and satisfy their owners at $54,000 per year of tuition, what is RVU's actual cost per student?

This doesn’t have anything to do with what I posted but thanks for the info.