Is it likely for AAMC to push ERAS dates farther out for the 2024 Match compared to previous years given the step 1 change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

Since Step 2 is more important now, I just imagine that students will take more time to study for step 2 and start their auditions a bit later. So it would make sense for AAMC to push the dates a little farther into the future. If I'm not mistaken, the current dates are already 2 weeks farther along than they were a few years ago, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

i mean... call me a jerk but i do not see them doing ANYTHING out of concern for the students. Whatever they decide will be to benefit programs and AAMC itself.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the AAMC's not doing squat for students. Med schools that have sense will adjust to maximize their own schedule for their students.

The date change was due to the pandemic originally

Reactions: 1 users
Since Step 2 is more important now, I just imagine that students will take more time to study for step 2 and start their auditions a bit later.
Students spend all of third year preparing for Step 2. The best course of action is to stay on top of shelf prep throughout the year, and sit for Step 2 within 3-4 weeks after clerkships have ended. This has the dual benefit of optimizing the exam score while providing maximum schedule flexibility later.

That said, moving forward I am certain many students will construct elaborate scheduling schemes to try and milk some additional time for Step 2. And in some cases it will come back to bite them.

Reactions: 4 users