Theatre blown in New Delhi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just heard this on the news that a bomb went off in a New Delhi theatre, that was showing the film: Jo Bole So Nihaal.

CTV News: One dead, dozens hurt in Indian theatre blasts

jbsn.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

O God ..that is so sad...i can never understand what these people are thinking when they decide to put innocent lives in danger..for their own stupid reasons...egomaniacs....now people are going to point fingers at the sikh community..and in return they'll say it was deliberated to facilliate that exact finger pointing....all this hooplah will continue while the hurt are suffering in the hospital...then the schools will ask students to donate some money...and people will talk abt it a little..and soon everyone will forget all abt it...nothing solved....just forgotten...till the next time the same thing happens...we all preach religious tolerance....yet...???i don't know much abt this movie...yeah its controversial...maybe some offensive scenes should hav been cut out...but bombs...thats so unreasonable...

"in return they'll say it was deliberated to facilliate that exact finger pointing"

why the effort to select and attach that picture then? It's not even from the same website, or shown with the news article that's linked.

Members don't see this ad :)
ssingh0 said:
"in return they'll say it was deliberated to facilliate that exact finger pointing"

why the effort to select and attach that picture then? It's not even from the same website, or shown with the news article that's linked.
I typed in the movie title in google image, and that was the first pic that came out... I wanted the poster of the film.

ummm

still5.jpg

that's the first one that comes up, and of all the screenshots that popup, the one you chose looks like a screenshot the least, i thought it was an angry protester at first.

Anyways your personal action either way is really insignificant. black ops to defame Sikhs are well documented and admitted.

ssingh0 said:
ummm

still5.jpg

that's the first one that comes up, and of all the screenshots that popup, the one you chose looks like a screenshot the least, i thought it was an angry protester at first.

Anyways your personal action either way is really insignificant. black ops to defame Sikhs are well documented and admitted.
I got moderate safe search on, plus I'm searching from Canada, trust me this is the first shot that came up (keyword: "Jo Bole So Nihaal"). I can even take a print screen of the image to show you....whatever.

And I'm not trying to defame sikhs as you may believe.

Disturbing

This is the problem in India. Instead of peaceful /civilized resistance people resort to this kind of stupidity.

Aren't they stupid?

oooooh! :wow:
ssingh0 said:
ummm

still5.jpg

ssingh0 said:

No its not insignificant....its a way of spreading awareness.....and a way of starting a discussion on the important subject of intolerance, violence against innocent people, and respecting others' religious belief's.
when the SIkh community reported that some scenes were disrespectful...and i agree the title of the movie is what we usually only use in gurudwara's and was used as a battle cry.... it should not be used without explaining its significance and importance in the sikh culture..because it could be used in discourteous ways then....so they should have removed any offensive scenes .....
either ways...putting people's lives at risk is unreasonable...thats the point here...and in this particular instance...it also produces the danger of riots and finger pointing .... but i think who did it..is not as important as...why??...what did those bombs solve?
ANd all religions and beliefs are questioned/ridiculed/ made fun of...it is not just sikhism...all we can do is...to respect others and where they come from...if they had understood this...the proper changes in the movie would have been made prior to release....(yeah I know abt freedom of press and media--but I haven't seen the movie myself...i can't say if the claims that the movie is offensive to sikhs are true or not...either ways..i think a movie dealing with religious sentiment should deal with it very delicately) ...

IN lots of B grade movies , Hindu religion is mocked like anything - very disturbing,.

But hardly have I seen people go around setting up bombs to disrupt things.

I thought only Muslims were worthy of such actions ( and I don't care about political correctness, it is a fact that Islamic fanaticism is unmatched, Christians aren't far away though)

well, we can not blame it to fasciists or extremists- may be it was a mischief of someone too small to be considered this way. But there were blasts in 2 theatres at the same time actually- the other one was considered to be a AC malfunction, and the next morning there was another blast in Delhi too- this time not in a cinema hall though

"This is the problem in India. Instead of peaceful /civilized resistance people resort to this kind of stupidity."

There have been protests/civilized resistance in the punjab,

"No its not insignificant....its a way of spreading awareness.....and a way of starting a discussion on the important subject of intolerance, "

The action deemed insignificant was specifically the selection of the picture from various sources on the internet, and how that selection entails spreading a certain message.

"I thought only Muslims were worthy of such actions ( and I don't care about political correctness, it is a fact that Islamic fanaticism is unmatched"

you're ignorant revealed: To claim such a question that's debated by scholars as a clearcut Fact reflects the political views of political groups evangelical, hindutva groups, etc. not any academic consensus

ssingh0 said:
ummm

still5.jpg

Bollywood trying to copy Hollywood. I wonder how this one made it past the censor boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Premedtomed said:
IN lots of B grade movies , Hindu religion is mocked like anything - very disturbing,.

I thought only Muslims were worthy of such actions ( and I don't care about political correctness, it is a fact that Islamic fanaticism is unmatched, Christians aren't far away though)
no one names a movie starting with Gayathri Mantra.......and then potray all the obscenity........if people feel its mocked why do not they respond.....what happened to Shiv Sena.........?

DrGarfield said:
well, we can not blame it to fasciists or extremists- may be it was a mischief of someone too small to be considered this way. But there were blasts in 2 theatres at the same time actually- the other one was considered to be a AC malfunction, and the next morning there was another blast in Delhi too- this time not in a cinema hall though
I agree...so may sadists in India...look for such opportunities.......to shift the blame to someone else...for their mischief......

ssman said:
"This is the problem in India. Instead of peaceful /civilized resistance people resort to this kind of stupidity."

"No its not insignificant....its a way of spreading awareness.....and a way of starting a discussion on the important subject of intolerance, "

The action deemed insignificant was specifically the selection of the picture from various sources on the internet, and how that selection entails spreading a certain message.

"I thought only Muslims were worthy of such actions ( and I don't care about political correctness, it is a fact that Islamic fanaticism is unmatched"

you're ignorant revealed: To claim such a question that's debated by scholars as a clearcut Fact reflects the political views of political groups evangelical, hindutva groups, etc. not any academic consensus

Dude, I don't care seriously. I was there when bomb blasts occured in Mumbai. I have seen Muslims ( some of them were in my school ) always saying nonsense about India and Hindus. What do you know??

Live in Mumbai and say Muslims are @#$@#$ and you are bound to get your ass kicked.

Premedtomed said:

I have to agree with this. Muslims are the most fanatical, followed by Christians. In Saudi Arabia, they are still beheading ppl in full public view. One will not find any sort of tolerance for other religions in most Middle Eastern countries.

meetlife said:
no one names a movie starting with Gayathri Mantra.......and then potray all the obscenity........if people feel its mocked why do not they respond.....what happened to Shiv Sena.........?

People do. There are movies in which the Villain is shown as being a pious Hindu - isn't this negative publicity/ propaganda??

Its way tooo sad.BUt
1.Sunny Deol is himself a Sikh......he very well knows the meaning of "´Jo Bole So Nihaal´.So whom to balme?
2.Why did the Govt. or Delhi Cinema walahs did not take any precautions........when they knew there was a tension regarding the movie?
3.It had been withdrawn from theatres in Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh....why not Delhi.......tension was palpable.....what was Delhi Police doing?

ssman said:

How about this writer from Bangladesh who wants citizenship of India? I forgot her name. She wrote a book on the atrocities committed on Hindus in Bangladesh after Babri Masjid demolition?? She knows she's in grave danger.

Salman Rushdie is on death list.
His book was banned in India - talk about that! Now why was this move allowed to be shown is a mystery. Love a religion that had a history of imperialism and injustice more than our own - Sikhs known to be saviours of Hindu women !
Quite a few professors here in the West and in India as well have written crap about Hinduism .
None of them have been even touched. Only letters written.

Oh well, life's like that . I still think it is terrible that such crap is happening in India when people should be focused on progress and development.
Whoever made this movie is also a *****. :thumbdown:

Premedtomed said:
How about this writer from Bangladesh who wants citizenship of India? I forgot her name. She wrote a book on the atrocities committed on Hindus in Bangladesh after Babri Masjid demolition?? She knows she's in grave danger.

Salman Rushdie is on death list.
His book was banned in India - talk about that! Now why was this move allowed to be shown is a mystery. Love a religion that had a history of imperialism and injustice more than our own - Sikhs known to be saviours of Hindu women !
Quite a few professors here in the West and in India as well have written crap about Hinduism .

Oh well, life's like that . I still think it is terrible that such crap is happening in India when people should be focused on progress and development.

Taslima Nasreen

Premedtomed said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

http://www.asianfilm.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=36

They're intolerable idiots in all religions.

Premedtomed said:

That's something to be pround of.

Premedtomed said:
Dude, I don't care seriously. I was there when bomb blasts occured in Mumbai. I have seen Muslims ( some of them were in my school ) always saying nonsense about India and Hindus. What do you know??

Live in Mumbai and say Muslims are @#$@#$ and you are bound to get your ass kicked.
:( :( quite sad but true!!!!!!!!!
Hey whats u r name? (premedtomed is quite long.) have u ever heard firecrackers blown in bhendi bazar whenever pakistan defeats india in any cricket match????? I always heard them as child then i lived on JJ hospital campus next to nagpada and bhendi bazar. U know when u walk thro' these localities u feel like u have wandered into some different world. And to be truthful that feeling is not very delightful!!!!!!!!

meetlife said:

It is called TYPICAL INDIAN HYPOCRACY!!!!!!! so dont worry, however u may deny it but every indian is to the core a hypocrite!!!! i may be exaggerating it but .........

Premedtomed said:

:laugh: :laugh:
thats why i kept away from that movie, u know I am allergic 2 *****s :laugh:

allergic2morons said:
:( :( quite sad but true!!!!!!!!!
Hey whats u r name? (premedtomed is quite long.) have u ever heard firecrackers blown in bhendi bazar whenever pakistan defeats india in any cricket match????? I always heard them as child then i lived on JJ hospital campus next to nagpada and bhendi bazar. U know when u walk thro' these localities u feel like u have wandered into some different world. And to be truthful that feeling is not very delightful!!!!!!!!

Siddharth

allergic2morons said:
It is called TYPICAL INDIAN HYPOCRACY!!!!!!! so dont worry, however u may deny it but every indian is to the core a hypocrite!!!! i may be exaggerating it but .........
nope...Indians are very nice people......need to learn to keep emotions under check.......else we are great..... :thumbup:

"It is called TYPICAL INDIAN HYPOCRACY!!!!!!! so dont worry, however u may deny it but every indian is to the core a hypocrite!!!! i may be UNDERexaggerating it but ........."
second that

I watched that movie in Hyderabad, the day the theatres were bombed in Delhi (good thing my city wasn't the one picked on), and can't understand what is wrong with the film. I watched the film with my friend's Sikh family, and they thoroughly enjoyed the pic. How can people be such pricks about a light hearted movie? Kushwant Singh's joke books make fun of Sikhs ten times more than this movie did.

zing said:
I watched that movie in Hyderabad, the day the theatres were bombed in Delhi (good thing my city wasn't the one picked on), and can't understand what is wrong with the film. I watched the film with my friend's Sikh family, and they thoroughly enjoyed the pic. How can people be such pricks about a light hearted movie? Kushwant Singh's joke books make fun of Sikhs ten times more than this movie did.

i wish i had an answer to this question...... :p

zing said:

Yeah most sikh's would be okay with the movie...but people who are opposed to it are people with some religious standing...they probably understand more abt the religion..value it more...and their belief's are rooted in tradition...but it is their faith...if they feel that certain activities degrade their faith or articulate it incorrectly...then their views must be respected... i think...BTW Khuswant Singh may joke abt sikh people...their mannerisms etc...not abt religion and religious beliefs...that would be a no-no.....when it comes to religion, for some people nothing can be or should be lighthearted abt it....ok..so maybe i don't think naming a movie "bale sonehal......." is that bad...but people out there who consider it sacred [since its only used in gurudwara's (temple's)] don't want a movie to be named that..specially since others who watch the movie may not know what it means....and that its' special to sikhs..part of their prayer..u know....

zing said:
Khushwant Singh is hated by Sikh community.......it is not at all about the jokes.....its just that our religion is strict about certain things.....we do not drag our religious hymns to some cheap clubs........that's it.....moreover after sometime these issues become more of a political thing.....feelings a total non-issue......Its like we feel so proud when someone sings National Anthem.....can we as Indians watch a movie named"JANA GANA MANA" with all the obscenity and naked women........

hopeful05 said:
Yeah most sikh's would be okay with the movie...but people who are opposed to it are people with some religious standing...they probably understand more abt the religion..value it more...and their belief's are rooted in tradition...but it is their faith...if they feel that certain activities degrade their faith or articulate it incorrectly...then their views must be respected... i think...BTW Khuswant Singh may joke abt sikh people...their mannerisms etc...not abt religion and religious beliefs...that would be a no-no.....when it comes to religion, for some people nothing can be or should be lighthearted abt it....ok..so maybe i don't think naming a movie "bale sonehal......." is that bad...but people out there who consider it sacred [since its only used in gurudwara's (temple's)] don't want a movie to be named that..specially since others who watch the movie may not know what it means....and that its' special to sikhs..part of their prayer..u know....
Nope...I am not okay with the movie.....my family is not okay with the movie......no true sikh can be okay with it........its like an insult to 500 years of our existence.....the title of the movie is what we pray everyday.....its offensive.......sad part sunny deol himself is a sikh......I guess money corrupts it all....

I actually haven't seen it...so i didn't want to judje the content...i just didn't think the title was appropriate...

meetlife said:
Nope...I am not okay with the movie.....my family is not okay with the movie......no true sikh can be okay with it........its like an insult to 500 years of our existence.....the title of the movie is what we pray everyday.....its offensive.......sad part sunny deol himself is a sikh......I guess money corrupts it all....

I agree with you. Additionally, this movie is a violation of some movie law passed back in the day

meetlife said:
Khushwant Singh is hated by Sikh community.......it is not at all about the jokes.....its just that our religion is strict about certain things.....we do not drag our religious hymns to some cheap clubs........that's it.....moreover after sometime these issues become more of a political thing.....feelings a total non-issue......Its like we feel so proud when someone sings National Anthem.....can we as Indians watch a movie named"JANA GANA MANA" with all the obscenity and naked women........

Kushwant Singh is hated by the sikh community? I've never heard that. My dad has his books and he wouldn't if he was hated. I've read a couple of his comuns and and part of one book on sikh histroy and was impressed. He should be an important Sikh.

Saying that, I think it's ridiculous how much protest they've done. It's just a waste of time. One hand we complain since we're stereotyped in movies and giving meager roles, and now we;re given a "Sikh centered" movie and everyone complains. And most of the complaints just are so innane. We have so many greater problems.

ANd the religious hyms are written for music. They're poetry with rhthym and beat. It's not surprising they're used in music. The hymns also use many analogies and metaphors which are natural to music as well. I remember reading one hymn which used a woman coming home or such as the different months and possible seasons. I haven't heard it, but why should the hyms be written for prayer only? Surely there are conscious songs. Why can't they're be a fusion?

singh02 said:
Kushwant Singh is hated by the sikh community? I've never heard that. My dad has his books and he wouldn't if he was hated. I've read a couple of his comuns and and part of one book on sikh histroy and was impressed. He should be an important Sikh.

Saying that, I think it's ridiculous how much protest they've done. It's just a waste of time. One hand we complain since we're stereotyped in movies and giving meager roles, and now we;re given a "Sikh centered" movie and everyone complains. And most of the complaints just are so innane. We have so many greater problems.

ANd the religious hyms are written for music. They're poetry with rhthym and beat. It's not surprising they're used in music. The hymns also use many analogies and metaphors which are natural to music as well. I remember reading one hymn which used a woman coming home or such as the different months and possible seasons. I haven't heard it, but why should the hyms be written for prayer only? Surely there are conscious songs. Why can't they're be a fusion?
I enjoyed reading "Train to Pakistan", an excellent read.

sunny123 said:
I enjoyed reading "Train to Pakistan", an excellent read.
2nd that ..very good

singh02 said:

Fusion of vulgarity and spirtuality??
You and your dad do not represent the whole of sikh community..........
What is sikh-centered about the movie?????There have been much better punjabi and sikh centered movies......
For us "Guru Granth Sahib is the ultimate" and is there any problem bigger than the prayer of your religion being draggged in muck????
Music is music......there is always a difference....I am sure you cover ur head when u listen to gurbani...why do you do so.....if its all about music.....why do people give respect to National Anthem if its all about rythm and music....

data said:
2nd that ..very good
I loved..
The Mark of Vishnu and Other Stories
Delhi: A Novel

i think u r JAMming a lot these days shardul!!!!! :p

meetlife said:
I loved..
The Mark of Vishnu and Other Stories
Delhi: A Novel

hi
i totally agree with u
btw which movie are u talking about?
i actually had no idea about that
u are right in saying khushwant singh goes out of the limits n says nonsense
well
there's one very cool punjabi movie
u guys must watch its "mahol theek hei"
by jaspal bhatti

allergic2morons said:
i think u r JAMming a lot these days shardul!!!!! :p
:laugh:

I recently read Khushawant Singh's "The Company Of Women", has anyone read it?

When it comes to "the most fanatical [sic]" religious group in India, it has to be the Hindus. To quote a previous poster, "I know it's not politically correct to say so." Look at the atrocities Hindus have committed against Sikhs, Muslims, and even Christians. No other religious group in India has parties of mass murderers like the Shiv Sena, VHP, and their ilk. Let's not forget Gujrat '02, Bombay '92, anti-Christian riots of '98, and Delhi '84. Roughly every ten years Hindus in India have to go on a murderous rampage against a non-Hindu group.

Now then, one can say, "Yeah, but that's 'cause Hindus are in the majority and the majority always tends to abuse its power." And then one would be absolutely right. In the same way, the dominant religious groups in Saudi Arabia and Iran (Wahhabis and Shias, respectively) abuse their power over the minority religious groups.

This is common sense, people. The same simple observations apply to people everywhere; people are not programmed different genetically according to their religion. As soon as you leap to label one people or one religion your own smallminded biases become apparent.

And I find it hilarious that a poster would argue that "Middle Eastern countries" are not tolerant of religions other than Islam. Which Middle Eastern country are you talking about? There are dozens. Egypt and Jordan have active, sizeable Christian minority groups. Jordan has dozens of historic churches and Christian religious sites that have never been harmed. In the United Arab Emirates, which borders Saudi Arabia, Hindu temples stand side by side with Christian churches.

These vague overgeneralisations about "Muslims" and "the Middle East" simply reveal a grossly reductive way of thinking that is neither academic nor humanistic.

Full disclosure: I come from a Hindu family, but I don't subscribe to any religion.

Posters that talk about "only Muslims being capable..." need to take a history course on India. The people you are speaking of indirectly (Sikhs) volunteered their lives to help a FOREIGN PEOPLE, whom they did not share a religion, language, culture, or any sizeable ties with, from being oppressed by the Mughal raiders. After centuries of bloodshed and warfare, how exactly did the Hindu majority repay the Sikhs? Simple respect and equal rights would have been nice, but history speaks for itself. When the British offered to carve Punjab out of India as a Sikh state, the leaders said no because they did not believe in racial/caste/religious divisions. Where would India be today had they agreed?

The majority DOES NOT have any right to oppress the minority, regardless of the situation. Now posters will respond that no one is saying it is right for the majority to do so, only inevitable. Maharaja Ranjit Singh ruled over Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus. He gave everyone equal rights. The man had morals and stuck to them. Oppression IS NOT INEVITABLE.

Now I'm a peaceful person that respects all religions as one (as per Sikh teachings), but if you want to start labelling groups, explain to me how the peaceful Hindus of India wiped out Buddhism from the subcontinent? Better yet, people point to two bombs going off as anarchy, how about the attack on the Golden Temple and murder of as many as 600 innocent pilgrims in 1984, followed by an attempt at state-sponsored genocide against the Sikhs for the actions of 2 individuals who killed Indira Gandhi in revenge for 1984? How about the attempt at state-sponsored genocide (at least at the Gujarat state level) against Muslims for what India's own internal investigation found was an ACCIDENTAL train crash?

It's all to easy to see the "big, strong, dumb, and hairy Sikh" (as the great Nehru put it) as a menace simply because he doesn't look like you. Take a close look at the history of the Sikhs and your head will get pulled out of your ass. Explain to me one last thing. Are the Irish called Catholic terrorists or Irish terrorists? Is Timothy McVeigh called a Christian terrorist or a right-wing terrorist? Is Al-Qaeda called Muslim terrorists or radical Islamic terrorists? Why are a small minority of Punjabi terrorists called Sikh terrorists? Why is there always effort put at separating the actions of a small minority of separatists from their religion in every case EXCEPT FOR THE SIKHS? Hell, before India decided to attack the holiest Sikh temple, another 40 or so temples in Punjab, declare martial law in Punjab and proceed to round up all Sikh youths of fighting age and terrorizing them (anywhere from 10000 to 60000 INNOCENT youths are still unaccounted for), and then trying to wipe out Sikhs from New Delhi by killing them and raping the girls and women before doing the same to them, an incredibly small number of Punjabis and Sikhs were separatists. Now in their hearts, most Punjabis (including many Hindus that I know) are separatists but still do not subscribe to killing innocents, and they never did.

Lastly, Sikhs have NEVER IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY justified the killing of civilians. There is not one other major religion or group of people in the world that can claim this. From Christianity to Confucianism, every religion in the world attacked entire groups of innocent people as morally grounded acts. Sikhs NEVER did so once. The killing of so called leaders like Indira Gandhi is best case scenario justice, and worst case scenario the consequence of war. You have to recognize this distinction before you start labelling every separatist movement as terrorist movement (America was founded this way as well).