The Werner H. Kirsten Student Internship Program (WHK SIP)

FantasyVesperia

Always pushing forward...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a Sophomore, I can only apply during my Junior year, but I really want to do something like this. I looked on the website for information on this internship and I believe I can do it. This is something that seems very time consuming, challenging and very independent. I afraid that I'm going to mess up something in the lab, because I always mess up my labs in Chemistry lol, and I don't want to mess up something big like this.

If anyone have heard of this, or have done this, what's it like?

Is this internship really competitive?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only a Sophomore, I can only apply during my Junior year, but I really want to do something like this. I looked on the website for information on this internship and I believe I can do it. This is something that seems very time consuming, challenging and very independent. I afraid that I'm going to mess up something in the lab, because I always mess up my labs in Chemistry lol, and I don't want to mess up something big like this.

If anyone have heard of this, or have done this, what's it like?

Is this internship really competitive?

Thanks.

Hey, I guess not many people are familiar with this program. I did it back in 2001-2002, and came back for a few subsequent summers. I highly recommend it, both for the experience and for how good it'll look on your resume for college applications.

I assume it's fairly competitive these days, but I'm not sure to what degree -- I think everyone at my school who applied ended up in a lab (about 8 of us).

It's time-consuming at times, but not overly so. It's basically full-time in the summer, but you can cut out early if things are done and your PI doesn't mind. During the school year, you only take half a day of classes so that you can be at Detrick for the other half of the day.

They won't expect you to work independently from the very start. Even in college/medschool labs, they'll generally assume you know nothing unless you say otherwise, and they'll make sure you get up to speed. It's a great crash-course in molecular biology techniques, and it'll make college lab courses a lot easier. You'll be working under pretty close supervision at first, but most people ended up working more-or-less independently by the time the school year started.

Oh okay. Thanks for the information. It really helped!