THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! i just wanted to know what my chances are getting accepted.
here are my stats:
graduated in 2006 with BSc in Microbiology
cGPA: 2.95
post-bacc GPA: 4.0
PCAT: 82
i have 2 good LORs and have volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for over 100 hours.
-i am also planning to get certified as a tech and gain more volunteer experience.
thanks for the help

Where are you applying? What is your grade trend? A 2.95 is significantly different from your post bac 4.0. What happened there? Your PCAT and volunteering is solid.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA Overall 2.9
Science GPA: above a 2.5 below 2.9.
BS in Biology by May 2011 before Pharm school.
Finished Pre reqs:
Worked in Retail Pharmacy, Compounding Pharmacy, Long term Care = 7+ years experience. and other work experience. CPhT. 10/10 in Pharmcas application(Max. allotted space for entering diff jobs.)
Extra curriculars are very strong. Filled the 10/10 for Pharmcas application
220+ hrs of community service (Max. allotted space for entering extra curriculars .)

I have NOT taken PCAT yet, Aug 21 2010 is the date of my PCAT.
I want to apply for Fall 11 Matriculation.

-Do I send Pharmcas before I get PCAT scores?
- Where do I have the best chances for getting in?
- I want to apply to UF, LECOM ,NOVA and Midwestern.
- Should I apply after PCAT scores are in>??

What do you think? What are my chances?:xf:

Your experience and ECs are exceptional. But, sometimes it is the GPA and PCAT that gets you in the door. Does you GPA meet the min. requirement for your schools? Make sure you check PharmCAS. If it doesn't, then you need to consider other schools. If you at least get offered an interview and nail it, you've got a great chance because of your extensive experience. Sometimes experience says more than a GPA and adcoms know that....especially if you were working full-time during school. Let us know what your PCAT score is because it will probably make a big difference, too.

Alright guys so I’m currently in the process of completing my pharmcas app and I keep doubting my chances of getting in and keep getting depressed. I just really wanna get in. Here are my stats:

Applying to UCSF, UOP, Touro, Pacific University, LECOM, Thomas Jefferson, Midwestern-Glendale, Nova, University Florida, Palm Beach Atlantic, Massachusetts-Worcester, Creighton and maybe more because I really need to get in this year!

BS in Biology at UC Davis
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Prereq GPA: 3.27
Science GPA: 2.8
Math GPA: 3.9

Pharmacy Experience: 100hrs of volunteering at a community pharmacy. No tech license

Volunteer Work: Two years on the tennis team. Won the female athlete of the year award and the Arthur Ashe sportsmanship of the year award. Tutor for 1st-5th graders at the local library for 2 years.
60 hrs cardiac rehab volunteer at hospital.
Pharmacy club member 1 year which involved various volunteer events
50 hrs in teaching exchange students with their English skills for Partners in Acquiring Language program.

PCAT: Plan to take in August...at the moment I am feeling very confident.

3 LORS: Tennis coach, science professor, pharmacist

I went to community college for two years and then transferred to University of California Davis. In CC my gpa was 3.9 after taking all my electives, math courses (up to calc II), bio, and gen chem I & II…..At UC Davis everything went downhill. I got a D in ochemI and received a C after retaking it and also received a C in ochem II. I love chem but just had to deal with unfortunate circumstances during my time at UC Davis (major family problems), and overall just felt lost when I transferred because I didn’t really know what I specifically wanted to do after graduating but eventually figured it out. I’ve also received one F in a course that is NOT a prereq for pharm. I also have 4 Ws on my university transcript which happened because I dropped the courses a few days past the drop deadline but thought I had the deadline right (I know I know). After graduation I enrolled in some courses at a CC to boost my gpa and got all As.

What do you guys think my chances are? Any tips or suggestions!

At "face value", it seems like you couldn't handle the Uni. But, it seems like you have a legitimate reason for your poor grades during that time. As long as the bad grades were not a trend and ONLY an isolated incident (ie one semester), then I think you might be OK provided your PCAT is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I'm hoping to apply to Pharmacy school but am super nervous about whether or not I'll get accepted due to my low GPA. I currently have a BS in Biology. Here are my stats:

Cum GPA: 3.15
PharmCAS GPA: 2.9
PCAT: 85 composite

I was doing well during my first 2 years of college, but my grades fell drastically when my personal life took a bad turn. My parent's home got foreclosed and faced bankruptcy (I took on more work hours than I should have to try and help them out) and my mom passed a year or so afterwards.

I was a member of the college's pharmacy club and volunteered at the hospital pharmacy for a few months (but this stopped when my circumstances arised). It's been a year and a half since graduation and all I've been doing is working for 50 hours/week to support myself, my sibling, and unemployed father. SO, I haven't had any exposure to the pharmacy field recently.

Can anyone give me any advice in terms of bettering my chances in getting into a pharmacy school? Should I retake the PCAT??

There's a sticky up top called WAMC (What Are My Chances?)

This will probably be moved up there. You might want to look up there for some more advice.

Hi All,

I'm hoping to apply to Pharmacy school but am super nervous about whether or not I'll get accepted due to my low GPA. I currently have a BS in Biology. Here are my stats:

Cum GPA: 3.15
PharmCAS GPA: 2.9
PCAT: 85 composite

I was doing well during my first 2 years of college, but my grades fell drastically when my personal life took a bad turn. My parent's home got foreclosed and faced bankruptcy (I took on more work hours than I should have to try and help them out) and my mom passed a year or so afterwards.

I was a member of the college's pharmacy club and volunteered at the hospital pharmacy for a few months (but this stopped when my circumstances arised). It's been a year and a half since graduation and all I've been doing is working for 50 hours/week to support myself, my sibling, and unemployed father. SO, I haven't had any exposure to the pharmacy field recently.

Can anyone give me any advice in terms of bettering my chances in getting into a pharmacy school? Should I retake the PCAT??

Sorry to hear about your mother...Re-taking those classes you didn't do well in is probably not an option b/c you work 50 hrs week and it would be hard to get any E.C's in there too...You have a really good PCAT score but since your GPA is on the low side I would try to aim for a 90% or higher if you can...I would apply to mostly private schools since all they want is your money anyway...private schools will take you as long as you have a good PCAT score a decent GPA...I would also make sure your personal statement is excellent and you have great letters of Rec from a Pharmacist and Professors...I think your personal statement is the most important part of your application...it's a way of them getting to know you before they even meet you...just talk about your struggle to succeed and even though you went through a lot your still pushing to better and you want to make pharmacy your life...hope this helps

Agreed with the above post.If you make note of your circumstances in your application I think you would have a great shot at an interview with soemone.

Oops, sorry! This newbie should have looked at the stickies first. ;)

Hey everybody sorry to post again but I was hoping someone could give me recommendations/outlook

Here are my stats:

a. Schools you are applying to
University of Illinois-Chicago (4th choice)

University of North Carolina (T-3rd choice)

UC San Francisco (1st choice)

University of texas (2nd choice)

University of houston
SUNY-buffalo (T-3rd choice)

university of maryland
Albany College of Pharmacy
University of Southern Nevada
Glendale College of Pharmacy
University of Hawaii-Hilo
Nova Pharmacy school

b. Overall GPA
3.78 (but its from 6 different schools and I still have a about 30 semester units work left
2 Ws 3 years ago (both non pre-pharmacy requirements)
1 B in general chemistry and the rest As in the other pre-pharmacy requirements
plan to take 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 2 semester of physics this fall and spring

I will have a BS in Liberal Studies in the Summer of 2010
my lowest GPA in any one semester has been my first semester (3.47)

c. Math/Science GPA
3.72 (all from 6 different schools)

d. GPA in last one or two school years
about 3.8-3.85

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Taking it in August and retaking it in October if its not good enough, aiming for a 80 composite, and no less than 70 on each section

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
Worked as Pharmacy cashier for CVS for almost 2 years

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
aiming to submit primary by end of August, secondary apps also ASAP

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
3 LORS- I think they should all be pretty good, known professors since 2006
Humanities Professor, Statistics Professor, trying to reach Chemistry professor

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
volunteered for 4 years for trash clean up in my local neighborhood program

j. Self-perception of interview skills
I think my interview skills will be ok, Im generally good with people. Still want to do those mock interview sometime though

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
not sure yet

Anything else: I really want to go to UCSF (its my first choice). But here's the problem, I have taken classes from 6 different colleges in 4 states and even though I did well I am worried that the pharmacy schools think I cannot make up my mind on where to stay. This happened because my parents had to constantly move around to look for jobs (repeated laid-offs). Also because of this movement and financial trouble, I had to work a lot during the fall terms and spring terms, leaving me only summer terms and part-time spring terms for college classes. My question is:

even though I have only 1 B in a prepharmacy requirement and the rest As, will taking classes in the summer and part-time in the last 2 years be looked down upon. I took full 30 semester units my first year and then worked and then went to summer school and then worked. However, this fall and spring semester I saved enough money to go to full 30 semester units of classes to get my 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 2 semester of physics done. How bad will the inconsistent schedule look even though I explained my scenario, good GPA, and assuming good PCAT scores on my application

My father is a cardiologist and promised to help me get a job at a hospital pharmacy. I plan on stating to work on some volunteer hours. Any other ideas on how to make me look better i really want to get into pharmacy school by Fall

My advice is get as much pharmacy experience as you can and do some volunteer work. Join some clubs and try to get yourself involved with extracurricular activities. They know you're a good student, judging by your high GPA. The admissions committee just need to know if your a well-rounded individual. You got this. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Delano, I am just curious. Did you apply only to non-PCAT schools ?

Well I haven't applied yet. I tried last year but ended up having an issue with my Biology credits because the school I looked at said I took the wrong sequence. So I didn't bother to apply elsewhere, plus I wanted some experience and to volunteer. There are a couple of non-PCAT schools that I will be applying to this cycle but I will also be applying to PCAT schools. Check my list out.

Well I haven't applied yet. I tried last year but ended up having an issue with my Biology credits because the school I looked at said I took the wrong sequence. So I didn't bother to apply elsewhere, plus I wanted some experience and to volunteer. There are a couple of non-PCAT schools that I will be applying to this cycle but I will also be applying to PCAT schools. Check my list out.

I am not sure what you mean when you said you took the wrong sequence. Does it matter which courses you take first? I thought as long as you complete all of them then everything will be fine.

I am not sure what you mean when you said you took the wrong sequence. Does it matter which courses you take first? I thought as long as you complete all of them then everything will be fine.

Not sequence as in how you take the courses. I took the sequence for non-science majors instead. So, for clarification, I took Biology for non-science majors. This was a school error but the responsibility (as I was told), was still mine. All my other courses were fine but since this was a year long course, I was not gonna have enough time to retake it.

Not sequence as in how you take the courses. I took the sequence for non-science majors instead. So, for clarification, I took Biology for non-science majors. This was a school error but the responsibility (as I was told), was still mine. All my other courses were fine but since this was a year long course, I was not gonna have enough time to retake it.

Gotcha.

My advice is get as much pharmacy experience as you can and do some volunteer work. Join some clubs and try to get yourself involved with extracurricular activities. They know you're a good student, judging by your high GPA. The admissions committee just need to know if your a well-rounded individual. You got this. :thumbup:

Thanks for the help

Notice how he hunted you down in a random thread lol

Last edited:
I am always curious as to why there is such a big difference between your actual GPA and the one PharmCAS calculates.:confused:
Im giving 2 options.(Disclaimer, I am more then likely 100% wrong.)
1. People are looking at their institutional GPA, as opposed as combining two or more institutions.
2. Pharmcas rounds. A+ = 4.0 as opposed to 4.33. B+= 3.3 as opposed to 3.33.

Hello,

I have currently a 3.2 cGPA, and a sGPA for 3.1. Currently my math is HORRIBLE, because I have only taken one class, which I happened to get an F in; however, I have transferred schools for this fall, and I believe I will take that same course and earn at least a B-C range. The [honest] only reason I failed it was because my prof did not know a word of fluent English, and it was the first college course I'd taken.

I've done lots of ECs and have hundreds of community service hours logged, however, currently I have no pharmacy experience whatsoever.

I am extremely worried about taking Calculus. Math is undoubtedly my weakness, and I'm scared Calc is going to kill me. Any advice on this?

I am somewhat confident, although I have 2 years left to go before I graduate, that I will end my undergraduate with at least a 3.3 minimum. I have not yet taken the PCAT, and so my main worries are if my bad grades in math is going to be really frowned upon by Pharmacy schools?

When I first started my freshman year, I was looking at going into Pharmacy. After looking over the required courses, I kinda said no way I can do all this.... Calculus, physics, etc. But, I've learned after taking some courses it's not as bad as it all seems, so I am just going for it and going to see what happens..

Thanks

Hey everybody sorry to post again but I was hoping someone could give me recommendations/outlook

Here are my stats:

a. Schools you are applying to
University of Illinois-Chicago (4th choice)

University of North Carolina (T-3rd choice)

UC San Francisco (1st choice)

University of texas (2nd choice)

University of houston
SUNY-buffalo (T-3rd choice)

university of maryland
Albany College of Pharmacy
University of Southern Nevada
Glendale College of Pharmacy
University of Hawaii-Hilo
Nova Pharmacy school

b. Overall GPA
3.78 (but its from 6 different schools and I still have a about 30 semester units work left
2 Ws 3 years ago (both non pre-pharmacy requirements)
1 B in general chemistry and the rest As in the other pre-pharmacy requirements
plan to take 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 2 semester of physics this fall and spring

I will have a BS in Liberal Studies in the Summer of 2010
my lowest GPA in any one semester has been my first semester (3.47)

c. Math/Science GPA
3.72 (all from 6 different schools)

about 3.8-3.85

Taking it in August and retaking it in October if its not good enough, aiming for a 80 composite, and no less than 70 on each section

Worked as Pharmacy cashier for CVS for almost 2 years

aiming to submit primary by end of August, secondary apps also ASAP

3 LORS- I think they should all be pretty good, known professors since 2006
Humanities Professor, Statistics Professor, trying to reach Chemistry professor

volunteered for 4 years for trash clean up in my local neighborhood program

I think my interview skills will be ok, Im generally good with people. Still want to do those mock interview sometime though

not sure yet

Anything else: I really want to go to UCSF (its my first choice). But here's the problem, I have taken classes from 6 different colleges in 4 states and even though I did well I am worried that the pharmacy schools think I cannot make up my mind on where to stay. This happened because my parents had to constantly move around to look for jobs (repeated laid-offs). Also because of this movement and financial trouble, I had to work a lot during the fall terms and spring terms, leaving me only summer terms and part-time spring terms for college classes. My question is:

even though I have only 1 B in a prepharmacy requirement and the rest As, will taking classes in the summer and part-time in the last 2 years be looked down upon. I took full 30 semester units my first year and then worked and then went to summer school and then worked. However, this fall and spring semester I saved enough money to go to full 30 semester units of classes to get my 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 2 semester of physics done. How bad will the inconsistent schedule look even though I explained my scenario, good GPA, and assuming good PCAT scores on my application

When you say part-time, how many classes do you mean? How many hours are you working a week?

Your GPA is great and I don't think the W's are really going to make a difference. The reason for the different schools can easily be explained. A brief mention of it in a PS should suffice as long you as you say you gained some strength from it. The fact that you haven't taken organic is something to consider. UCSF's apps are due before you will be finished with Fall. I am sure they will look at your Fall transcript once it is received, though. The fact that you have a BS is a good thing and will make you more competitive.

The only thing is the lack of EC's. You should try to get into volunteering in a pharmacy. Are you a certified tech? This also helps. You are going to be competing with people who have a lot more experience/EC's under their belt and even people who have done research and/or are published. You need a STRONG personal statement and STRONG letters of recommendation. You WILL need one from a science prof. Provided your PCAT score is really competitive and considering your very competitive GPA, you can probably get an interview at most of the schools on your list. So, you will have to make the interview count.

Hello,

I have currently a 3.2 cGPA, and a sGPA for 3.1. Currently my math is HORRIBLE, because I have only taken one class, which I happened to get an F in; however, I have transferred schools for this fall, and I believe I will take that same course and earn at least a B-C range. The [honest] only reason I failed it was because my prof did not know a word of fluent English, and it was the first college course I'd taken.

I've done lots of ECs and have hundreds of community service hours logged, however, currently I have no pharmacy experience whatsoever.

I am extremely worried about taking Calculus. Math is undoubtedly my weakness, and I'm scared Calc is going to kill me. Any advice on this?

I am somewhat confident, although I have 2 years left to go before I graduate, that I will end my undergraduate with at least a 3.3 minimum. I have not yet taken the PCAT, and so my main worries are if my bad grades in math is going to be really frowned upon by Pharmacy schools?

When I first started my freshman year, I was looking at going into Pharmacy. After looking over the required courses, I kinda said no way I can do all this.... Calculus, physics, etc. But, I've learned after taking some courses it's not as bad as it all seems, so I am just going for it and going to see what happens..

Thanks

What is your issue with math? What kind of problem are you having? If you have/are consistently having difficulty in math, you might consider getting tutoring and, if that doesn't help, you might want to get it checked out (it could be that you have some sort of disability). Lots of people have a weakness in one area...mine was math as well. I did horribly in the math section of the PCAT, but it was mostly related to that fact that I didn't study much math and that I took my last math class back in 2005.

I am concerned that you are blaming your teacher for your poor performance because of his/her accent. There are many resources outside the classroom to help you with math. You need to take advantage of these. Resourcefulness and personal responsibility is something adcoms look for.

Hello,

Thanks

There's no way you can fail a class because of a professor. Maybe get a C or a D. But complete failing means YOU completely failed on your part. It's called the textbook. TAs. Office hours. The internet! There's SO many resources, and it's MATH. In a subjective subject like English, you can play the teacher card, but when it comes to Math, there's only ONE answer for 2+2. If you don't know the answer, and you failed the class, it's YOUR fault. Fix your attitude before going to school.

One failing grade won't kill you. But if you're asked why you failed that class, be sure NOT to give the explanation you just gave. THAT will be frowned upon.

Hey everyone! I was just hoping I could get all of your advice. I have been reading this forum for around two years but this is my first time posting.

I am currently getting my Bachelors of Pharmaceutical Science at Ohio State. I apply for pharmacy school next year for 2012. I was just wondering if you could take a peek at my stats as of now and give me some pointers of what to get done in the next year to make me a competitive application. Currently, these are my stats.

a. Schools you are applying to: Most likely every school in Ohio and other close schools.
b. 3.1
c. Math/Science GPA: Not sure, around the same since basically all I have taken as of now is math and science classes.
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.5 this last year.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): I have not taken it yet but I have been studying this whole month around three hours a day and plan to continue until for the rest of the summer... and review until the test in October.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None as of now, but have applied for several pharmacy tech jobs.
g. Date of application submission: Summer 2011. I plan to submit early on.

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Right now, one from a pharmacy professor and one from my employer.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 2 years at the Ohio State University Center for Continuing Medical Education. I helped with the seminars that they put on for doctors.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Decent.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I believe it will be good.

Anyway I literally toss and turn all night thinking that I have no possibility to obtain my dream. Can you guys give me any pointers? I really appreciate it! Thank you tons!

Hey guys so i've been on this site for a while and I wanted to post my stats and get some opinions. I am taking the Pcat in August and applying for Fall 2011.

I am graduating with a Bachelors in Forensic Science in December from Virginia Commonwealth University. My transcript is pretty ugly , lots of W's. It took me some time to take college seriously and also figure out where I was headed as far as my career. Switched majors a few times and also left school to live at home for a year until I finally buckled down and got my gpa up to what it is now. I have taken all my pre-recs except for anatomy which i'm taking next semester along with 3 other classes for my major. I have been making dean's list for the past 3 semesters, 4.0 last semester and have done well in all my upper level courses. I am confidant that I will do well on the pcat, since it will probably make me or break me when it comes to getting into pharmacy school, as well as writing a good personal statement.

gpa - 3.0, forensic science bachelors
Working at a Genetics lab at vcu for a year now.
just started volunteering at the hospital pharmacy this month.
getting my pharmacy tech certification around october

My top choice is VCU since I'm already here and it is a great school, but I am not confidant that they will accept me into their program.

I am also considering Howard, since I am originally from Northern Virginia.

My biggest dilemma here is if I should do early decision into howard or vcu, or if i should do early decision at all. Does early decision better your chances at getting into a school that you may not get into as a regular applicant?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

There's no way you can fail a class because of a professor. Maybe get a C or a D. But complete failing means YOU completely failed on your part. It's called the textbook. TAs. Office hours. The internet! There's SO many resources, and it's MATH. In a subjective subject like English, you can play the teacher card, but when it comes to Math, there's only ONE answer for 2+2. If you don't know the answer, and you failed the class, it's YOUR fault. Fix your attitude before going to school.

One failing grade won't kill you. But if you're asked why you failed that class, be sure NOT to give the explanation you just gave. THAT will be frowned upon.

Well thank you for your opinion, but you have a few facts mixed up.. My math course did NOT have a math textbook. In fact, I don't believe any math course has a text book at my school. It's all online, there is not examples, rather online coursework. So sure, I probably could have taken extra hours to pull a D or so, but even then it would have had to be retaken.

I require extra learning to do well in math, it's that simple. And my course also had no TAs. The math program was horrible.

Sure I take full personal responsibility for it, because before choosing this school, I should have looked into it more closely. But that's why I transferred.

No textbooks + No English speaking prof + Poor math student = Setting up students for failure.

Schools applying to:
UCSF,USC,UOP,Western,UCSD, Touro

GPA:
B.S. in Biology, University of California, Irvine-3.1 GPA :(
Took more pre-reqs at a CC for a full year-3.8 GPA

ECs:
Research for two years at UCI, Research fellow with UCI undergrad research program, involved with Red Cross on campus, pre-health honor fraternity, volunteer at food bank and local clinic (100+ hours)

Pharmacy Experience:
Pharmacy Tech licensed in CA
Cpht
Volunteer in hospital pharmacy (300+) hours
Might start working in retail pharmacy next week

PCAT-nop, just applying to cali schools

LORs-4
Pharmacist, 2 science professors and research mentor

Note***I have a few C's, not in the pre-reqs though. I also got three C- in biochemsitry, molecular bio and o'chem. I repeated those courses and got 2Bs and a B+ in o'chem.

So what are my chances??? Any help/feedback is appreciated

Thanks!

Hey Guys! I just registered, although I have looked through the threads previously. Just wanted some opinions on my chances!

Applying to:
LECOM, SUNY-Buffalo, St. John Fisher, D'youville, Albany College of Pharmacy

Grades:
GPA:3.66
Prereqs- A's in gen chem, B+ and A- in ochem, As in every bio class taken. My only worry is i got a C+ in ochem II lab. Bull**** professor, I got a 0 on a 1 question quiz that brought my grade from a B to a C+.

I'm going into my junior year of college at St John Fisher as a Chemistry major with a concentration in biochem. I have all my prereqs done, I'm only taking classes for my chem major this year, and I'm nervous about calc 3 and pchem lowering my gpa and killing my chances. Should I worry about that?

Experience: I've worked at CVS as a tech since I was 16 (so 4 years), my mom and my grandfather are pharmacists. She works for express scripts (mail order) and he works at a hospital in buffalo. So I've pretty much been around pharmacy my entire life.

Volunteer/Extracurriculars: Animal/Environmental Events coordinator of SWAV (a volunteer club on campus), Chem Club, Bio Club. I don't have tons of volunteer work. I didn't have a car on campus the last 2 years and I work about 40 hours a week at CVS during the summer.

PCAT: I took it last octoder '09. I didn't study and got a 75 percentile in bio and a 93 in chem and quant was in the 80s. I sucked at writing, RC and the other section cause at the time I knew I wasn't going to be applying that year and took a nap instead during the test. oops.

My top choice is UB and that's where both my mom and grandfather attended. I'm also a NYS resident.

Let me know what you think! Thanks

Posting again, since I didn't receive any responses. Just trying to see what range I should aim for in the PCAT with my current stats. I will be applying for the '10-'11 cycle!

a. Schools you are applying to: So far, I have UNC, VCU, Howard, Hampton, Mercer, UMD, and possibly Temple on my list. I'm open to more suggestions, preferably on the East Coast.

b. Overall GPA: 3.8.

c. Math/Science GPA: ~3.5.

d. GPA in last one or two school years: Hasn't fallen below a 3.75 for any semester.

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Registered for August 21st, have taken two practice PCATs with Kaplan, FYI.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Interned at Duke Outpatient Pharmacy in the summer of 2009.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Starting on June 4th, and finishing by the end of July/early August, hopefully!

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: So far, planning on getting one from a Biology professor/lab preceptor, one from academic advisor/professor, and one from the post-doc I am working with this summer at UNC. I have one completed by a pharmacist I worked with last summer for over 400 hours.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I am a Varsity Cheerleader (going on 4 years) and a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. I am also a member of various honor societies and health career-related organizations. I performed research in a neuroscience lab in summer '07, and enrolled in 4 classes (Anatomy, Biostats, Physics, and Organic Chemistry) and shadowed in the SEP (Science Enrichment Program at UNC) in summer '08. The summer before my junior year, I participated in the Clinical Health Summer Program - a collaboration with my university and Duke University, and I worked as an intern in the Outpatient Pharmacy. Currently, I am conducting neurobiology research at UNC.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I've been told I am a good interviewer, but I just need to slow down while talking (I speed up when nervous! Haha)

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I've been commended on my personal statement, it's been overlooked by the Honors Program and my school, as well as Career Services. I also won a small competition based on the statement in 2008, and was a student blogger for the program.

Just thought I would repost since I didn't get a response the first time. Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks

a) Schools: Oregon State University, Pacific University, University of Southern Nevada, Washington State University

b)Total GPA: 3.53
c)Science GPA: 3.53
d)Last two years GPA:3.47-3.66
e)PCAT scores: N/A
f)I dont have any pharmacy experience
g)Apply for Fall 2011
h)3 LOR: From upper division biology teachers and one from Spanish prof
i)I volunteer at the soup kitchen and a alzehimer care facility. In high school I coordinated 7 blood drives, but I don't know if they look at what you did in high school. I was assistant manager at a store for about 3 months before they had to close due to the recession. I have a tough time participating in a lot of extra curricular activities due to obligations to my siblings and the rest of my family.
j)For my interview skills I know I get nervous, but I have always been complemented on my communications skills after school interviews in the past so I think I should do fine as long as I prepare.
k) My personal statement should be no problem I am decent at writing papers and I have several a people that I trust to give their honest opinion.

I just wanted to get someones opinion on my chances, my advisor I have right now is not very helpful and they just retired so I will get a new advisor that probably won't be much help until they have more experience with pharmacy school stuff.
Any advice would be greatful,
Thanks​

a. Schools you are applying to: UConn, MCPHS worscter, ACPHS, and d'youville college
b. Overall GPA: 3.2
c. Math/Science GPA: dunno
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 53 composite :(
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: volunteering at hospital and shadowing a pharmacist
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): i wanna submit my app early so around november or december of 2010.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: hopefully 4. A&P professor, volunteer organizer at hospital, orgo professor, soup kitchen coordinator.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: volunteer at soup kitchen, work at target and worked at mcdonalds.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: fair
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: ok. i gotta keep working on it

Hey Guys! I just registered, although I have looked through the threads previously. Just wanted some opinions on my chances!

Applying to:
LECOM, SUNY-Buffalo, St. John Fisher, D'youville, Albany College of Pharmacy

Grades:
GPA:3.66
Prereqs- A's in gen chem, B+ and A- in ochem, As in every bio class taken. My only worry is i got a C+ in ochem II lab. Bull**** professor, I got a 0 on a 1 question quiz that brought my grade from a B to a C+.

I'm going into my junior year of college at St John Fisher as a Chemistry major with a concentration in biochem. I have all my prereqs done, I'm only taking classes for my chem major this year, and I'm nervous about calc 3 and pchem lowering my gpa and killing my chances. Should I worry about that?

Experience: I've worked at CVS as a tech since I was 16 (so 4 years), my mom and my grandfather are pharmacists. She works for express scripts (mail order) and he works at a hospital in buffalo. So I've pretty much been around pharmacy my entire life.

Volunteer/Extracurriculars: Animal/Environmental Events coordinator of SWAV (a volunteer club on campus), Chem Club, Bio Club. I don't have tons of volunteer work. I didn't have a car on campus the last 2 years and I work about 40 hours a week at CVS during the summer.

PCAT: I took it last octoder '09. I didn't study and got a 75 percentile in bio and a 93 in chem and quant was in the 80s. I sucked at writing, RC and the other section cause at the time I knew I wasn't going to be applying that year and took a nap instead during the test. oops.

My top choice is UB and that's where both my mom and grandfather attended. I'm also a NYS resident.

Let me know what you think! Thanks

You have a solid application. I would be willing to bet money that you will get an interview (most likely because of your GPA and extensive experience). Why did you pick the schools on your list? But, how bad is bad when you're talking about writing and RC?

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I was just hoping I could get all of your advice. I have been reading this forum for around two years but this is my first time posting.

I am currently getting my Bachelors of Pharmaceutical Science at Ohio State. I apply for pharmacy school next year for 2012. I was just wondering if you could take a peek at my stats as of now and give me some pointers of what to get done in the next year to make me a competitive application. Currently, these are my stats.

a. Schools you are applying to: Most likely every school in Ohio and other close schools.
b. 3.1
c. Math/Science GPA: Not sure, around the same since basically all I have taken as of now is math and science classes.
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.5 this last year.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): I have not taken it yet but I have been studying this whole month around three hours a day and plan to continue until for the rest of the summer... and review until the test in October.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None as of now, but have applied for several pharmacy tech jobs.
g. Date of application submission: Summer 2011. I plan to submit early on.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Right now, one from a pharmacy professor and one from my employer.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 2 years at the Ohio State University Center for Continuing Medical Education. I helped with the seminars that they put on for doctors.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Decent.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I believe it will be good.

Anyway I literally toss and turn all night thinking that I have no possibility to obtain my dream. Can you guys give me any pointers? I really appreciate it! Thank you tons!

The only advice I have for you is to get pharmacy experience, which I realize is easier said than done. That should be your focus this year. Keep your grades up (obviously). How strong are your LORs? How well do your recommenders know you? I think we can better gauge your chances once you take the PCAT, also.

Hey guys so i've been on this site for a while and I wanted to post my stats and get some opinions. I am taking the Pcat in August and applying for Fall 2011.

I am graduating with a Bachelors in Forensic Science in December from Virginia Commonwealth University. My transcript is pretty ugly , lots of W's. It took me some time to take college seriously and also figure out where I was headed as far as my career. Switched majors a few times and also left school to live at home for a year until I finally buckled down and got my gpa up to what it is now. I have taken all my pre-recs except for anatomy which i'm taking next semester along with 3 other classes for my major. I have been making dean's list for the past 3 semesters, 4.0 last semester and have done well in all my upper level courses. I am confidant that I will do well on the pcat, since it will probably make me or break me when it comes to getting into pharmacy school, as well as writing a good personal statement.

gpa - 3.0, forensic science bachelors
Working at a Genetics lab at vcu for a year now.
just started volunteering at the hospital pharmacy this month.
getting my pharmacy tech certification around october

My top choice is VCU since I'm already here and it is a great school, but I am not confidant that they will accept me into their program.

I am also considering Howard, since I am originally from Northern Virginia.

My biggest dilemma here is if I should do early decision into howard or vcu, or if i should do early decision at all. Does early decision better your chances at getting into a school that you may not get into as a regular applicant?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Your upward grade trend is good. Just keep it that way. Although you have minimal tech experience, the fact that you are getting certified (and I am assuming looking for a tech job?) shows initiative. You are going to have to address your early academic transcripts (which you say is littered with W's) either in your personal statement (a brief mention) or in the supplemental application (where they typically ask you to address it). Once you take the PCAT, we can probably tell you more about your chances. The PCAT says a lot about how much you have retained over the course of taking your pre-reqs and is the gauge (in addition to GPA) many adcoms use to determine who gets an interview and who doesn't. It is imperitive that you perform well on this test - no pressure or anything, haha. But, seriously, make it your focus and then keep up the volunteering and try to get a tech job. You might want to consider casting a wider net as far as schools go. Not that you wouldn't get in...but who knows how competitive the applicant pool will be. You should have some "backups", IMO.

Schools applying to:
UCSF,USC,UOP,Western,UCSD, Touro

GPA:
B.S. in Biology, University of California, Irvine-3.1 GPA :(
Took more pre-reqs at a CC for a full year-3.8 GPA

ECs:
Research for two years at UCI, Research fellow with UCI undergrad research program, involved with Red Cross on campus, pre-health honor fraternity, volunteer at food bank and local clinic (100+ hours)

Pharmacy Experience:
Pharmacy Tech licensed in CA
Cpht
Volunteer in hospital pharmacy (300+) hours
Might start working in retail pharmacy next week

PCAT-nop, just applying to cali schools

LORs-4
Pharmacist, 2 science professors and research mentor

Note***I have a few C's, not in the pre-reqs though. I also got three C- in biochemsitry, molecular bio and o'chem. I repeated those courses and got 2Bs and a B+ in o'chem.

So what are my chances??? Any help/feedback is appreciated

Thanks!

Not sure how Cali views CCs...but other than that, IMO, you have a solid app. Your BS degree is going to go a long way when it comes to applying to Cali schools and your research and EC's are excellent. Hopefully you'll get that tech job which would round out your app even more. Upward grade trends are great and having a few Cs here and there isn't usually a problem. I hope someone from Cali can better answer your question, though. Maybe ask busyizzy.

Posting again, since I didn't receive any responses. Just trying to see what range I should aim for in the PCAT with my current stats. I will be applying for the '10-'11 cycle!

a. Schools you are applying to: So far, I have UNC, VCU, Howard, Hampton, Mercer, UMD, and possibly Temple on my list. I'm open to more suggestions, preferably on the East Coast.

b. Overall GPA: 3.8.

c. Math/Science GPA: ~3.5.

d. GPA in last one or two school years: Hasn't fallen below a 3.75 for any semester.

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Registered for August 21st, have taken two practice PCATs with Kaplan, FYI.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Interned at Duke Outpatient Pharmacy in the summer of 2009.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Starting on June 4th, and finishing by the end of July/early August, hopefully!

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: So far, planning on getting one from a Biology professor/lab preceptor, one from academic advisor/professor, and one from the post-doc I am working with this summer at UNC. I have one completed by a pharmacist I worked with last summer for over 400 hours.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I am a Varsity Cheerleader (going on 4 years) and a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. I am also a member of various honor societies and health career-related organizations. I performed research in a neuroscience lab in summer '07, and enrolled in 4 classes (Anatomy, Biostats, Physics, and Organic Chemistry) and shadowed in the SEP (Science Enrichment Program at UNC) in summer '08. The summer before my junior year, I participated in the Clinical Health Summer Program - a collaboration with my university and Duke University, and I worked as an intern in the Outpatient Pharmacy. Currently, I am conducting neurobiology research at UNC.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I've been told I am a good interviewer, but I just need to slow down while talking (I speed up when nervous! Haha)

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I've been commended on my personal statement, it's been overlooked by the Honors Program and my school, as well as Career Services. I also won a small competition based on the statement in 2008, and was a student blogger for the program.

You have a great application. I suggest doing some mock interviews to get yourself acquainted with being under pressure (which tends to make people talk faster or ramble :)) Probably all of the schools on your list are going to take your application seriously. Wait and see how you do on the PCAT. If you score in the competitive range (>80), you probably have your foot in the door at most schools. It will most likely come down to the interview so be ready for it.

Just thought I would repost since I didn't get a response the first time. Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks​

a) Schools: Oregon State University, Pacific University, University of Southern Nevada, Washington State University​

b)Total GPA: 3.53
c)Science GPA: 3.53
d)Last two years GPA:3.47-3.66
e)PCAT scores: N/A
f)I dont have any pharmacy experience
g)Apply for Fall 2011
h)3 LOR: From upper division biology teachers and one from Spanish prof
i)I volunteer at the soup kitchen and a alzehimer care facility. In high school I coordinated 7 blood drives, but I don't know if they look at what you did in high school. I was assistant manager at a store for about 3 months before they had to close due to the recession. I have a tough time participating in a lot of extra curricular activities due to obligations to my siblings and the rest of my family.
j)For my interview skills I know I get nervous, but I have always been complemented on my communications skills after school interviews in the past so I think I should do fine as long as I prepare.
k) My personal statement should be no problem I am decent at writing papers and I have several a people that I trust to give their honest opinion.​

I just wanted to get someones opinion on my chances, my advisor I have right now is not very helpful and they just retired so I will get a new advisor that probably won't be much help until they have more experience with pharmacy school stuff.
Any advice would be greatful,

Thanks​

They do not look at your high school involvement unless you are applying to a 0-6 schools (which you are not). When are you taking the PCAT? How strong are your LORs?

-you need pharmacy experience. if you can't find a tech job, then you need to volunteer
-do mock interviews. USN gives you a score for your interview portion so you need to do well. Your GPA is edging on the competitive range so just keep it up and try to bump it up with as many A's as possible. A downward grade trend at this time will hurt your chances.

Not sure how Cali views CCs...but other than that, IMO, you have a solid app. Your BS degree is going to go a long way when it comes to applying to Cali schools and your research and EC's are excellent. Hopefully you'll get that tech job which would round out your app even more. Upward grade trends are great and having a few Cs here and there isn't usually a problem. I hope someone from Cali can better answer your question, though. Maybe ask busyizzy.

I believe the overall position of California CoP/SoPs is that CC courses are neutral at best and a negative at worst depending on the situation (i.e., case-by-case basis).

CC courses will be considered neutral if they are consistent with or better than (as expected) the University GPA. In other words, it appears that they were taken at a CC for logistical/financial reasons, not because one would have otherwise done poorly at the university level. In that case, it would be a negative.

Now however, because it is only neutral, when compared to another applicant that completed all courses at the university with all else equal, the CC applicant will be disfavored more often than not.

just incase i was missed:

a. Schools you are applying to: UConn, MCPHS worscter, ACPHS, and d'youville college
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: volunteering at hospital and shadowing a pharmacist
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): i wanna submit my app early so around october or november of 2010.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: hopefully 4. A&P professor, volunteer organizer at hospital, orgo professor, soup kitchen coordinator.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: volunteer at soup kitchen, work at target and worked at mcdonalds.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: ok. i gotta keep working on it

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): i wanna submit my app early so around october or november of 2010.

I think your chances are ok, but I don't know much about ACP or D'Youville. I do know of students who have been rejected from UConn with better stats than that, but they may have interviewed poorly. Your math-science or prereq GPA could help too. You may want to retake the PCAT. I'm not sure if some of the schools will consider an applicant with a score that low.

Are you getting a BS or are you just completing your pharmacy prereqs? MCP-Worcester primarily takes applicants who already have degrees. Do you have any other extra-curricular activities? These can help make an average application stand out. How long have you been volunteering? Do you have any pharmacy experience?

From UConn SOP's website:
Admission to the School of Pharmacy Pharm.D. Program is competitive and based upon the following elements: 1] cumulative grade point average in the math and science prerequisites, 2] overall academic performance, 3] PCAT score, 4] pharmacy-related experience, 5] recommendations, 5] personal statement and 6] interview."
Good luck!

I think your chances are ok, but I don't know much about ACP or D'Youville. I do know of students who have been rejected from UConn with better stats than that, but they may have interviewed poorly. Your math-science or prereq GPA could help too. You may want to retake the PCAT. I'm not sure if some of the schools will consider an applicant with a score that low.

Are you getting a BS or are you just completing your pharmacy prereqs? MCP-Worcester primarily takes applicants who already have degrees. Do you have any other extra-curricular activities? These can help make an average application stand out. How long have you been volunteering? Do you have any pharmacy experience?

From UConn SOP's website: Good luck!

i've been volunteering at the hospital for about 2 yrs. my math/science gpa is 3.31. i'll be graduating with a bs in bio in december of 2010 and my cumulative gpa could increase to a 3.3. i don't have any other extra curriculars. i don't have any pharm experience but i was told by dr. hubbard the dean of uconn's pharm school that if i volunteered at a hospital that would suffice for pharm experience.

How bad does NOT having tech experience hurt your chances?

Hi! I wanted to post this again since I didn't receive any feedback on my stats :\
Thanks for your help!

a. Schools you are applying to:
1. Western University
2. UOP
3. UCSD
4. UCSF
5. Pacific University
6. Oregon State University
7. USC

b. Overall GPA: 3.287

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.153 (ergh, my GPA is weak... that is what I am most afraid of)

d. GPA in last one or two school years: For this last year, my GPA was a 3.94

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): no PCAT

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I have three different types of pharmacy experience:
1. Nuclear Pharmacy - worked as an intern in a lab that produced a drug that was used for the localization of cancerous tissue in a PET scan for 3-4 months. I learned a lot of QC techniques and got to see a lot of drug compounding
2. Inpatient Pharmacy - currently volunteering in the Pharmacy at Western Medical Center, I have accumulated at least 150 hours (I've been there for about 11 months). I'm also a trainer in the pharmacy and I work with the pharmacy coordinator to train new volunteers.
3. Outpatient Pharmacy (Retail) - currently working at Rite Aid as a clerk/technician. I do everything a technician does and everything a clerk does. I have been there since February.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I want to make it into the early admission category so I'll be submitting before August. This is my first time applying.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
Four LORs
1. One strong LOR from a graduate student at UCI that I used to research under while I was at that school.
2. One from the nuclear pharmacist I interned under. This should be a strong LOR since he knows me well and we're close.
3. One LOR from the director of volunteer services at Western Medical Center
4. One LOR from my manager at California Stem Cell

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
I don't have anything very noteworthy here, unfortunately. I was a part of a club at UCI for one year that organized medical missions to Vietnam but I didn't play a major role in that club, nor did I go on the mission. I also was an intern for CalPIRG (one quarter) and helped to organize events such as food and clothing drives for homeless people. I also did some various health fairs...

I also volunteer as an intern at California Stem Cell, a company in Irvine, CA that produces pure stem cell cultures for research and development. At CA Stem Cell, I check cell cultures to make sure that they are not contaminated, count cells, and do a lot of QA and materials management.

So-so. Sometimes I do well, sometimes I don't do well, but overall I do alright in interviews. I get kind of nervous which may lead me to say something wrong, but all in all I don't come off as a weirdo or anything~~

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality.
From those who have read my personal statement, I've heard that it is honest, I have good examples of my experiences in the field of pharmacy, and that I demonstrate what I can bring to the field of pharmacy well. I myself think that I'm a good writer so I'm not too worried about the quality of my personal statement. (sorry, that last statement sounded sooo arrogant ~___~)

Other information: I've already graduated with a BS in Biological Sciences at UC Irvine and I took a year to finish up my prereqs at CCs (I was a transfer student to UC Irvine so I was able to bypass a lot of GEs I would've been forced to take at UCI with AP credits.... thus I was missing a lot of my prereqs). I also have my technician license (if that helps at all~)

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Where are you applying? What is your grade trend? A 2.95 is significantly different from your post bac 4.0. What happened there? Your PCAT and volunteering is solid.

Thanks for the reply rxlea.
well my first two years of college, i was an engineering major and that is where my gpa went downhill. i changed my major after that and got all As and Bs in my classes. finally earned my bachelors in microbiology. i just hope schools would look at that and not just the final number.

Schools you are applying to
Midwestern University Glendale
Pacific University
University of Wyoming
LECOM Bradenton & Erie
Lipscomb
Mercer
KU

b. Overall GPA
3.64 with 11 hrs to be completed this summer & going to finish with around 88 spring 11

c. Math/Science GPA
havent calculated yet but 9hrs of b's & 11hrs of a's
taking in August
1 & 1/2 yrs retail pharmacy work: clerk, delivery, tech, stocking, ordering etc certified pharmacy technician as of last july
mid August
3 so far my two bosses both pharmacists, a biology teacher who i also did work study for and getting a retired pharmacist also who i worked with

donated to food drives, did work study, played softball while working while doing work study and 16 hrs of school for my college

am very passionate about becoming a pharmacist so I am sure I will be fine and I know alot about the retail pharmacy side as we all worked together and close with pharmacists and asked lots of questions about different things from insurance to effects and etc

my personal statement is going to explain a story that has inspired me to know for sure that the field of pharmacy is what I want to do.

Hey everyone..just looking for some expertise in regards to my chances at PCOM, Midwestern, and D'Youville.

cGPA 3.22 (strong upward trend)
Pre-req GPA 3.00
PCAT: 90

Other things to be included:
B.S Biology
CPhT certification
2 academic LOR's
some undergrad research
Personal statement

That's about it. Thanks for good OR bad news lol

Hey everyone..just looking for some expertise in regards to my chances at PCOM, Midwestern, and D'Youville.

cGPA 3.22 (strong upward trend)
Pre-req GPA 3.00
PCAT: 90

Other things to be included:
B.S Biology
CPhT certification
2 academic LOR's
some undergrad research
Personal statement

That's about it. Thanks for good OR bad news lol

anyone? :(

i've been volunteering at the hospital for about 2 yrs. my math/science gpa is 3.31. i'll be graduating with a bs in bio in december of 2010 and my cumulative gpa could increase to a 3.3. i don't have any other extra curriculars. i don't have any pharm experience but i was told by dr. hubbard the dean of uconn's pharm school that if i volunteered at a hospital that would suffice for pharm experience.

anymore input?

Status
Not open for further replies.