THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I will be applying this summer for the fall 2011 term. What are my chances of getting in? Here are my stats:

B.S in Biology:
Science GPA: 2.71
Nonscience: 3.08
Overall GPA 2.88

This year I took extra science classes because I had a low GPA:
Fall 2010 GPA: 3.1
Spring 2010 GPA: 3.7

I worked at pharmacy as Pharmacy tech for a year. Volunteered at a hospital for a year. Currently, I'm volunteering at the American Red Cross. I have pretty good letters of recommendation. I will also be taking the PCAT this June.

What are my chances of getting in?
My hopes are to get into UOP or Touro (in vallejo). Do You have any suggestions for out of states schools that i might have a good chance of getting into?

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I will be applying this summer for the fall 2011 term. What are my chances of getting in? Here are my stats:

B.S in Biology:
Science GPA: 2.71
Nonscience: 3.08
Overall GPA 2.88

This year I took extra science classes because I had a low GPA:
Fall 2010 GPA: 3.1
Spring 2010 GPA: 3.7

I worked at pharmacy as Pharmacy tech for a year. Volunteered at a hospital for a year. Currently, I'm volunteering at the American Red Cross. I have pretty good letters of recommendation. I will also be taking the PCAT this June.

What are my chances of getting in?
My hopes are to get into UOP or Touro (in vallejo). Do You have any suggestions for out of states schools that i might have a good chance of getting into?

Thank you so much

Apply to some of the newer programs. They will take you assuming you pull a decent PCAT score. Good luck in your endeavors.

Get as many A's and B's that you can. The upward trend is extremely important. If you can get above 3.0, you at least meet the minimum requirement for many schools. Pick your schools wisely.

Not if most of the pre-req's are in the lower trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to some of the newer programs. They will take you assuming you pull a decent PCAT score. Good luck in your endeavors.

And exactly how are you so sure that they would take this student? This student is interested in Cali schools (UoP and Touro).

a. UT Austin, Texas Tech, UI Chicago, Wyoming, Oregon, UW Seattle.
b. overall GPA 3.29
c. math/science I can't really determine, I have a BS in Medical Technology, so my last year was a clinical internship where I got 67 credit hours in a variety of classes that are all 4000 level science classes. But its not entered into my cumulative GPA according to my final graduation transcript. If they don't include it then its 3.0, if they do include it then its around 3.8.
d. Again final 2 years are hard to determine, without the internship its about 3.5, with it is about 3.8.
e. Haven't taken PCAT yet, I'm registered for August 21st.
f. No pharmacy experience
g. I'm going to start applying in August after the PCAT. I've been out of school for a year and want to spend most of the summer studying. So August 22nd it begins.

h. I can get one from the CLS director of my internship at scott and white, pretty much as many as I need from anyone involved with the lab there. Here I can get one from the chemistry, micro, or bloodbank supervisors without a big hassle. No pharmacists. Possibly my old microbiology professor from college. Or the biology chair if he hasn't retired yet.
i. I have never had time to volunteer. I grew up kind of poor and had to work through college. I worked at Dell the summer before, Cabela's the summer after. Then I moved to an apartment and worked at Albertsons, then Kroger. Then I got a much better job for a year working as a lab assistant in the microbiology lab at my university. Then nothing during my clinical internship. Now I've been working as a medical technologist for almost a year, upon beginning pharmacy school it'll be 2 years. I work in a medium sized hospital.
j. I've always been told I interview well.
k. I imagine my personal statement would be average.

Mostly I'm worried about my lack of the pre-pharmacy classes I didn't have to take for my degree. I plan on trying to knock most of them out over the year I'll be applying at the austin community college. At worst I have to take 3 classes, at most 6. It depends on whether or not they take my organic chemistry as for med techs its a combined course thats 3000 level as opposed to the 2 2000 level classes everyone else takes. If they don't accept it I'll have to retake it. Also calculus and physics and genetics, possibly human anatomy as well.

Also theres my lack of extracurricular and volunteer stuff. I've pretty much always had to work. With all the overtime I get stuck doing now I pretty much just wake up and get ready for work for an hour, and then spend 8.5-12.5 hours at work, then go home and usually sleep to begin again the next day. I'm supposed to be 40 hours a week but I generally do around 50-60. But it should taper off soon and I can study at work and take online classes.

So what you reckon?

a. UT Austin, Texas Tech, UI Chicago, Wyoming, Oregon, UW Seattle.
b. overall GPA 3.29
c. math/science I can't really determine, I have a BS in Medical Technology, so my last year was a clinical internship where I got 67 credit hours in a variety of classes that are all 4000 level science classes. But its not entered into my cumulative GPA according to my final graduation transcript. If they don't include it then its 3.0, if they do include it then its around 3.8.
d. Again final 2 years are hard to determine, without the internship its about 3.5, with it is about 3.8.
e. Haven't taken PCAT yet, I'm registered for August 21st.
f. No pharmacy experience
g. I'm going to start applying in August after the PCAT. I've been out of school for a year and want to spend most of the summer studying. So August 22nd it begins.

h. I can get one from the CLS director of my internship at scott and white, pretty much as many as I need from anyone involved with the lab there. Here I can get one from the chemistry, micro, or bloodbank supervisors without a big hassle. No pharmacists. Possibly my old microbiology professor from college. Or the biology chair if he hasn't retired yet.
i. I have never had time to volunteer. I grew up kind of poor and had to work through college. I worked at Dell the summer before, Cabela's the summer after. Then I moved to an apartment and worked at Albertsons, then Kroger. Then I got a much better job for a year working as a lab assistant in the microbiology lab at my university. Then nothing during my clinical internship. Now I've been working as a medical technologist for almost a year, upon beginning pharmacy school it'll be 2 years. I work in a medium sized hospital.
j. I've always been told I interview well.
k. I imagine my personal statement would be average.

Mostly I'm worried about my lack of the pre-pharmacy classes I didn't have to take for my degree. I plan on trying to knock most of them out over the year I'll be applying at the austin community college. At worst I have to take 3 classes, at most 6. It depends on whether or not they take my organic chemistry as for med techs its a combined course thats 3000 level as opposed to the 2 2000 level classes everyone else takes. If they don't accept it I'll have to retake it. Also calculus and physics and genetics, possibly human anatomy as well.

Also theres my lack of extracurricular and volunteer stuff. I've pretty much always had to work. With all the overtime I get stuck doing now I pretty much just wake up and get ready for work for an hour, and then spend 8.5-12.5 hours at work, then go home and usually sleep to begin again the next day. I'm supposed to be 40 hours a week but I generally do around 50-60. But it should taper off soon and I can study at work and take online classes.

So what you reckon?

Assuming you do decent on the PCAT and can write a decent PS you should be competitive.

I would suggest making an effort to talk about how your non-pharmacy medical experience helped/helps you make a decision to go into pharmacy.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having many college EC's and volunteer experience - just explain how you had to work hard (many hours of paid work while going to school) to be able to support yourself while going to school. If you can get in some (quality) volunteer time or EC's great, but I personally would not suggest trying to get some just to pad your application - doing so could actually backfire.

Assuming you do decent on the PCAT and can write a decent PS you should be competitive.

I would suggest making an effort to talk about how your non-pharmacy medical experience helped/helps you make a decision to go into pharmacy.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having many college EC's and volunteer experience - just explain how you had to work hard (many hours of paid work while going to school) to be able to support yourself while going to school. If you can get in some (quality) volunteer time or EC's great, but I personally would not suggest trying to get some just to pad your application - doing so could actually backfire.

Well I imagine I can get at least a 90 on the PCAT. I'm going to spend all summer studying for it regardless.

I worked about 20-30 hours a week at my various jobs and went to school full time. I considered volunteering at the pharmacy at the hospital I'm already at but I need the time this summer to study and then by the time I've taken the test I'm going to be taking 2 or 3 classes this fall to take care of the pre-requisites that I didn't have to take for my degree and possibly another 2 or 3 in the spring as well. I'm really hoping my organic chem that I took counts because I really don't want to take it again. All in all I'm pretty busy between about 9am to 11pm, I usually just eat dinner and read a little and go to bed around 1am.

Definitely planning to quit my job if I get into pharmacy school. I'd rather focus on that and rack up debt than be a mediocre student. I feel like I have a decent chance of getting into at least one of the schools I'm applying for, but it worries me that I won't for some reason. I hated the waiting period before I found out what clinical school I got into. Just months of worrying.

Hi Everyone! I am planning to apply to pharmacy schools for year 2011. The schools that I am planning to apply are Univ of Maryland, Howard, UACP, and Univ of VA. Now, the problem is that my GPA is pretty low i.e. 2.92. I am done with all the classes (sciences, electives etc ~ 67 credits) and only have Microbiology and Speech left to take . I have B's in all my Gen Chem and Gen Bio classes and have a C in Orgo 1 and Anatomy and Physiology 1, and a B in Orgo 2 and A&P 2.

I have taken PCAT thrice already. My best score was 42 composite. Honestly, I did not study for more than a week for any of the tests, which I know is a very damaging mistake which I regret extensively about. I am planning to take PCAT this August.

Now, my question is that do you think I should retake Organic Chem 1 (in which I got a C) and hopefully I will get an A. This is raise my GPA and also it will look nice on my transcript that I retook the class and got an A. But that will leave me with less time to study for PCAT. Do you think it is a good idea to retake Orgo 1 this summer? ...Or do you think I should just focus on PCAT? If I just focus on the PCAT then my GPA will remain 2.92 and I will need to apply with that, but if I take the class than I will have less time to study for PCAT...

I will greatly appreciate all your help.

Thanks in advance :)

Shehzad

I'll be reapplying in this cycle. I applied in the 08-09 cycle, but didn't get in. what are my chances?

1.. .a. Ucsf
2.. .Ucsd
3.. .Usc
4.. .Uop
5.. .Ca northsate
6.. .Touro
7.. .Pacific Oregon University
8.. .University of Midwestern-glendale, Arizona
9.. .University of Hawaii
10.. .Appalachian College of Pharmacy
11.. .University of Southern Nevada
12.. .Thomas Jefferson
13.. .Lecom-erie

b. overall: 3.38
c. math: 2.9 science: 3.01
d. I graduated from UC Merced in 09 with an overall 3.38. I’m retaking calc 2 at a jc and hopefully I get a B. I’m also taking other classes at the jc for the heck of it
e. Pcat: Verbal: 50
Biology: 98
clip_image001.gif

reading 15
clip_image002.gif

Quantitative 88
Chemistry 88
Composite 80. This is my third time taking the pcat. I didn’t prep myself too much when I took it the first two times and improved from a 40 to 80
f. Volunteered in a hospital for 4 years, but spent 2 yrs in the pharmacy. I also did research and administered ketamine to mice. I’m currently working as a clerk/tech at Rite Aid
g. Date of application submission: Will be reapplying and hopefully everything is sent within a month
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: From my research, Anatomy, and Writing professors, and pharmacist
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Volunteered in the Emergency Room and Mother baby unit. Currently volunteering with STandUp for Kids
j. I got an interview with Touro and Northstate, but messed up. Touro was my first interview and I got too nervous. I thought that I got into Northstate, but didn’t
k. My personal statement is average. Still working on it

Hello! I'm applying for this coming term and I'm super nervous so any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

a. Schools you are applying to:
1. Western University
2. UOP
3. UCSD
4. UCSF
5. Purdue
6. Washington State University
7. Pacific University
8. Oregon State University
9. Touro (California)
10. USC

b. Overall GPA: This is kind of tricky because my classes are split up between two schools (one community college and one UC), but my UC cumulative GPA is 3.111.
As for my CC GPA, I'm not sure. It ended as about a 3.12 before I transferred, however, I went back to school recently to finish up some of my prereqs and got straight A's (anatomy, stats, econ, some pharmacy technician classes (3), speech) so I'm not sure how much that will increase my GPA. Does anyone know how they weigh semester system grades with quarter system grades? :\

c. Math/Science GPA: not sure :\ I'll calculate it and then edit my post.

d. GPA in last one or two school years: For this last year, my GPA was a 3.90, and the year before it was about a 3.40

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): no PCAT

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I have three different types of pharmacy experience:
1. Nuclear Pharmacy - worked as an intern in a lab that produced a drug that was used for the localization of cancerous tissue in a PET scan for 3-4 months.
2. Inpatient Pharmacy - currently volunteering in the Pharmacy at Western Medical Center, I'll have accumulated at least 150 hours by the time I apply (I've been there for about 10 months now).
3. Outpatient Pharmacy (Retail) - currently working at Rite Aid as a clerk/technician. I've been there for about half a year.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I want to make it into the early admission category so I'll be submitting before August. This is my first time applying.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
I'll have three or four. I'm trying to decide who would be the best people to ask.
1. One perspective LOR from a professor at UCI that I used to research under while I was at that school.
2. One from the nuclear pharmacist I interned under. This should be a strong LOR since he knows me well and we're close.
3. One LOR from the director of volunteer services at Western Medical Center OR from the head pharmacist at Western Med.
4. I'm considering asking the Pharmacy Manager at Rite Aid since he knows me well too and I think he could write me a strong LOR but I'm not sure yet.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
I don't have anything very noteworthy here, unfortunately. I was a part of a club at UCI for one year that organized medical missions to Vietnam but I didn't play a major role in that club, nor did I go on the mission. I also was an intern for CalPIRG (one quarter) and helped to organize events such as food and clothing drives for homeless people. I also did some various health fairs...

Oh, and I volunteer as an intern at a stem cell lab near UCI. I don't do very much there though :\ mostly QA and some cell counting and evaluating cells to see if they're contaminated or anything. I'll have been there for about 8 months this June.

j. Self-perception of interview skills
So-so. Sometimes I do well, sometimes I don't do well, but overall I do alright in interviews. I get kind of nervous which may lead me to say something wrong, but all in all I don't come off as a weirdo or anything :D hahaha

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality.
I've only just started writing my personal statement, but I'm confident in my skills as a writer so I'm going to say that it will be above average (sorry for the arrogance, ahahhaha~)

Last edited:
Hi I am applying for fall of 2011. Currently my overall gpa is around 2.9, math and sciences prob around 2.75 .I have been actively retaking classes in the last couple of year to bring up my gpa, but I have so many units that it is difficult to do. I've have some setbacks, family issues. My composite pcat score is a 50, but I have 10 years of retail pharmacy experience. I am interested in 3 year programs, but I have been told that since by stats are so low that i should apply for pre-candidate or new schools. Any suggestions on where I have greater chances of getting accepted???? Anything would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Hello! I'm applying for this coming term and I'm super nervous so any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

1. Western University
2. UOP
3. UCSD
4. UCSF
5. Purdue
6. Washington State University
7. Pacific University
8. Oregon State University
9. Touro (California)
10. USC

b. Overall GPA: This is kind of tricky because my classes are split up between two schools (one community college and one UC), but my UC cumulative GPA is 3.111.
As for my CC GPA, I'm not sure. It ended as about a 3.12 before I transferred, however, I went back to school recently to finish up some of my prereqs and got straight A's (anatomy, stats, econ, some pharmacy technician classes (3), speech) so I'm not sure how much that will increase my GPA. Does anyone know how they weigh semester system grades with quarter system grades? :\

c. Math/Science GPA: not sure :\ I'll calculate it and then edit my post.

d. GPA in last one or two school years: For this last year, my GPA was a 3.90, and the year before it was about a 3.40

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): no PCAT

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I have three different types of pharmacy experience:
1. Nuclear Pharmacy - worked as an intern in a lab that produced a drug that was used for the localization of cancerous tissue in a PET scan for 3-4 months.
2. Inpatient Pharmacy - currently volunteering in the Pharmacy at Western Medical Center, I'll have accumulated at least 150 hours by the time I apply (I've been there for about 10 months now).
3. Outpatient Pharmacy (Retail) - currently working at Rite Aid as a clerk/technician. I've been there for about half a year.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I want to make it into the early admission category so I'll be submitting before August. This is my first time applying.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
I'll have three or four. I'm trying to decide who would be the best people to ask.
1. One perspective LOR from a professor at UCI that I used to research under while I was at that school.
2. One from the nuclear pharmacist I interned under. This should be a strong LOR since he knows me well and we're close.
3. One LOR from the director of volunteer services at Western Medical Center OR from the head pharmacist at Western Med.
4. I'm considering asking the Pharmacy Manager at Rite Aid since he knows me well too and I think he could write me a strong LOR but I'm not sure yet.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
I don't have anything very noteworthy here, unfortunately. I was a part of a club at UCI for one year that organized medical missions to Vietnam but I didn't play a major role in that club, nor did I go on the mission. I also was an intern for CalPIRG (one quarter) and helped to organize events such as food and clothing drives for homeless people. I also did some various health fairs...

Oh, and I volunteer as an intern at a stem cell lab near UCI. I don't do very much there though :\ mostly QA and some cell counting and evaluating cells to see if they're contaminated or anything. I'll have been there for about 8 months this June.

So-so. Sometimes I do well, sometimes I don't do well, but overall I do alright in interviews. I get kind of nervous which may lead me to say something wrong, but all in all I don't come off as a weirdo or anything :D hahaha

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality.
I've only just started writing my personal statement, but I'm confident in my skills as a writer so I'm going to say that it will be above average (sorry for the arrogance, ahahhaha~)

Be careful of applying to Washington State. I heard they started to require PCAT scores. Check the website just in case though.

a. Schools you are applying to
UCSF
b. Overall GPA
~3.4 currently, but probably lower when i apply this coming november.:( im hoping at least 3.2
c. Math/Science GPA
~3.3
d. GPA in last one or two school years
~3.2
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
not taking it
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
-pharm tech (certified) at cvs -april 2010
-volunteer at hospital in pharmacy- november 2009
-member of pre-pharm club on campus
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
sometime in october hopefully

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
im hoping for 4.
2 pharmacist, 1 professor,1 employer
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
-tutoring math for a native american community
-internship at a nutrition center on campus
-i feel okay about my skills but i'll def need to practice more
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF
b. Overall GPA
~3.4 currently, but probably lower when i apply this coming november.:( im hoping at least 3.2
c. Math/Science GPA
~3.3
~3.2
not taking it
-pharm tech (certified) at cvs -april 2010
-volunteer at hospital in pharmacy- november 2009
-member of pre-pharm club on campus
sometime in october hopefully

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
im hoping for 4.
2 pharmacist, 1 professor,1 employer
-tutoring math for a native american community
-internship at a nutrition center on campus
-i feel okay about my skills but i'll def need to practice more

Are you an URM? You DEFINITELY need to cast a wider net. Why put all your eggs in one basket? Your GPA is good but isn't stellar. Your ECs/work experience are average. To get into a school like UCSF, you need to have some really good ECs, which you lack. What other schools would you consider and what are you going to do over the summer to add to your application? What are the quality of your LORs? Do they know you exceptionally well? How about your personal statement? Are you going to get it proofread?

a. Schools you are applying to: All CA schools, SUCOP, MCPHS, Purdue
b. Overall GPA: 3.94
c. Math/Science GPA: ~3.9-4.0
d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~3.9-4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): N/A
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I'm a CPhT, certified since August 2009. I shadowed for 2 months on a weekly basis over the summer of 2009. I volunteered as a pharmacy tech to help out at a clinic in El Hongo, Mexico (went three times).
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Hopefully around July 2010.
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from bio/research lab professor (strong), 1 from pharmacist, and 1 from general chem professor.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I'm an active member in the Student Health Professions Association and was recently elected as the pharmacy chairperson. Also, I'm fairly active in my biology club. I've done a handful of volunteer work with these clubs such as the helping the Red Cross, MS Walk, and some charity events. I'm also very active with my DJ team (I'm the co-founder and executive director. We've helped fund-raise for charity before). The visit to the clinic in Mexico is also one of my volunteer experience.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: People say I'm very approachable but I feel like I may get nervous at times when it comes to interviews.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I've been told I'm a good writer, though I don't really agree on this. I have difficulty writing about myself!

These are the prerequisites that I've completed so far, along with my grades. I will be missing anatomy/physiology, biochemistry, microbio, physics II, and public speaking at the time of applying. I'm planning to take ochem II this summer.

I'm really hoping to get into UOP. I'll be missing just 2 prerequisites when applying to this school.

Science:
General Bio 1 w/lab- A
General Bio 2 w/lab- A
General Chem 1 w/lab- A+
General Chem 2 w/ lab- A+
Molecular Bio w/lab- A
Ochem 1- A+
Phys 1 w/lab- A

Math:
Calculus (1 sem)- A+
Statistics- A

English/humanities/econ:
English 1- A
English 2- A-
Interpersonal Comm- A-
Psychology- A
Microeconomics- A

Additional information: I'm graduating in Spring 2011 with a B.S in Bio from CSUF.

Just trying to get a general idea of where I stand at this point...thanks.

a. Schools you are applying to - USN (and that is it - I have to live in Las Vegas so I don't have a choice)
b. Overall GPA 3.74
c. Math/Science GPA about 3.55 (currently (re)taking Organic 1 (WPed lecture the first go-round - got an A in Lab) and expect a B and still need Org 2 but everything else has been taken)
d. GPA in last one or two school years not sure probably between 3.5 and 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - taking in June - what do you think would be the lowest that would still leave me hopeful? I did a practice PCAT 2 wks ago and got almost all correct on RC and verbal, 36/40 on bio, 28/40 Chem ad 29/40 quant - obviously need to bone up on Chem and quant)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained - will be volunteering on base at the MTF pharmacy this fall after we move to Vegas. should be about 4 hrs/wk.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) Will apply this fall

j. Self-perception of interview skills - a little nervous but people tell me I come across as articulate.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality - I know how to write well, I just don't have a lot of practical experience to expound upon.

More info: My degree is in general studies with an emphasis in Community Health Education. I am very non-traditional - almost middle-aged with a family and my degree is from 1997. My higher grades are in Bio, A&P, Patho, Health Ed and some pre-professional Nursing courses (I was pre-BSN before going for Health Education) and my Chem and Math grades are Bs. When asked 'why Pharmacy' one of my main reasons (and I plan on refining how I phrase this - this is just a very rough draft) is that I am really interested in physiology/pathophysiology and I think the study of Pharmacy is a good way to take that knowledge to a much deeper level in a particular area.

I honestly think my GPA puts me in the middle of the pack for USN for being selected for an interview and that if I can put a good spin on my background/age of my degree and the fact that it is on the softer side of Health Science during the interview it is reasonable for me to have a bit of hope as long as I have a good PCAT.

My main questions are: 1. What is the lowest PCAT (approx) at which I can consider these reasonable stats for USN?

2. Am I on track thinking my grades and everything else (I know my experience will be limited to 4 hrs/wk for about 16 wks by the time January interviews roll around, so maybe 60-70 hrs total experience in a Pharmacy) will be enough to be considered a serious candidate and not get laughed out (metaphorically) of the process?

USN seems to have different criteria (fewer courses, no LORs, etc) than many of the other schools so I am a little lost on what is important to them - do they consider the interview the most important factor?

Thanks for your time!

Hi! I will be applying for the '10-'11 cycle!

a. Schools you are applying to: So far, I have UNC, VCU, Howard, Hampton, Mercer, and U of Southern Cal on my list. I'm open to more suggestions, preferably on the East Coast.

b. Overall GPA: 3.8.

c. Math/Science GPA: J~3.5.

d. GPA in last one or two school years: Hasn't fallen below a 3.75 for any semester.

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Registered for August 21st, have taken two practice PCATs with Kaplan, FYI.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Interned at Duke Outpatient Pharmacy in the summer of 2009.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Starting on June 4th, and finishing by the end of August/early October, hopefully!

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: So far, planning on getting one from a Biology professor/lab preceptor, one from academic advisor/professor, and one from the post-doc I am working with this summer at UNC. I have tried to keep in contact with the pharmacist I shadowed last summer, but he hasn't returned any emails.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I am a Varsity Cheerleader (going on 4 years) and a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. I am also a member of various honor societies and health career-related organizations. I performed research in a neuroscience lab in summer '07, and enrolled in 4 classes (Anatomy, Biostats, Physics, and Organic Chemistry) and shadowed in the SEP (Science Enrichment Program at UNC) in summer '08. The summer before my junior year, I participated in the Clinical Health Summer Program - a collaboration with my university and Duke University, and I worked as an intern in the Outpatient Pharmacy. Currently, I am conducting neurobiology research at UNC.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I've been told I am a good interviewer, but I just need to slow down while talking (I speed up when nervous! Haha)

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I've been commended on my personal statement, it's been overlooked by the Honors Program and my school, as well as Career Services. I also won a small competition based on the statement in 2008, and was a student blogger for the program.

PS: My main focus is doing well on the PCAT; I have talked with faculty at my first choice (UNC) who have said I am a competitive candidate, but I know they look highly upon the PCAT. Any study tips would be great, as well as other schools on the east coast that I should consider!

Hi! I will be applying for the '10-'11 cycle!

a. Schools you are applying to: So far, I have UNC, VCU, Howard, Hampton, Mercer, and U of Southern Cal on my list. I'm open to more suggestions, preferably on the East Coast.

b. Overall GPA: 3.8.

c. Math/Science GPA: J~3.5.

d. GPA in last one or two school years: Hasn't fallen below a 3.75 for any semester.

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Registered for August 21st, have taken two practice PCATs with Kaplan, FYI.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Interned at Duke Outpatient Pharmacy in the summer of 2009.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Starting on June 4th, and finishing by the end of August/early October, hopefully!

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: So far, planning on getting one from a Biology professor/lab preceptor, one from academic advisor/professor, and one from the post-doc I am working with this summer at UNC. I have tried to keep in contact with the pharmacist I shadowed last summer, but he hasn't returned any emails.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I am a Varsity Cheerleader (going on 4 years) and a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. I am also a member of various honor societies and health career-related organizations. I performed research in a neuroscience lab in summer '07, and enrolled in 4 classes (Anatomy, Biostats, Physics, and Organic Chemistry) and shadowed in the SEP (Science Enrichment Program at UNC) in summer '08. The summer before my junior year, I participated in the Clinical Health Summer Program - a collaboration with my university and Duke University, and I worked as an intern in the Outpatient Pharmacy. Currently, I am conducting neurobiology research at UNC.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I've been told I am a good interviewer, but I just need to slow down while talking (I speed up when nervous! Haha)

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I've been commended on my personal statement, it's been overlooked by the Honors Program and my school, as well as Career Services. I also won a small competition based on the statement in 2008, and was a student blogger for the program.

PS: My main focus is doing well on the PCAT; I have talked with faculty at my first choice (UNC) who have said I am a competitive candidate, but I know they look highly upon the PCAT. Any study tips would be great, as well as other schools on the east coast that I should consider!

Wow, UNC with that high of a GPA? You'll totally rock the PCATs :) Gluck!:luck:

Wow, UNC with that high of a GPA? You'll totally rock the PCATs :) Gluck!:luck:

Oh, no! I don't attend UNC - even though my university is about 20 minutes down the road. I have done two programs here, and participated in events hosted by the pharmacy school here, as well.

do newer schools, or not yet accredited schools have lower standards? along with credited schools i'm also trying to apply for notre dame, appalachian, and easternshore (maryland)

do u think the newer programs will consider in state more?

do newer schools, or not yet accredited schools have lower standards?
Normally, they except students with lower stats then more established programs. Programs will only consider in state applicants more if they are a state funded school.

do newer schools, or not yet accredited schools have lower standards? along with credited schools i'm also trying to apply for notre dame, appalachian, and easternshore (maryland)

Sort of... Newer schools do not necessarily have lower standards, but often do not attract nearly as many of the "top" applicants as more established schools. So while new schools may have the same requirements and minimum requirements as a more established schools - the applicant pools will usually not be as strong so they end up accepting students that probably would not get accepted at many other schools.

Schools normally state somewhere if they give preference to state residents. Many public schools do while most (if not all) private schools do not.

Normally, they except students with lower stats then more established programs. Programs will only consider in state applicants more if they are a state funded school.

well on the sites they say they have an out of state tuition and in state tuition...so does that mean they are state funded?

well on the sites they say they have an out of state tuition and in state tuition...so does that mean they are state funded?

Yes, not all public schools give preference for in state applicants though.

Hello all! I am a long time reader and a first time blogger. For starters, I took majority of my classes at a community college and transferred to U.C Berkeley to get my BS. So as the 2010-2011 cycle opens, I am somewhat anxious and curious on my chances of getting into Pharmacy School. Since I am a California native, I am only applying to 4 Pharmacy schools in California: UCSD, UCSF, UOP, and Touro. With that said, I am not planning on taking PCATS but somewhat worried on the difference of my GPA from a community college to UC Berkeley. But anyways, here's what I can show you guys. Some input would be nice, thanks!

A.) Schools applying: UCSD, UCSF, UOP, and Touro
B.) Overall GPA: UCB GPA: 3.1; CC GPA: 3.8
C.) Math/Science GPA: UCB~ 3.1; CC GPA~3.6
D.) GPA in the last two school years: ~3.1
E.) PCAT: N/A
F.) Pharmacy Experience obtained: Volunteer 4 hrs/week at an inpatient pharmacy
G.) Date of application submission: Early-Mid September

H.) Number of LORs and source of LORs:
I'm thinking one from a pharmacist that I worked with, 1 chemistry professor that I kept in touch with, and 1 professor that I worked with on my undergraduate research.

I.) Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
I was a student tutor and a peer adviser at UCB. Mainly worked with fellow students on academic counseling, participating on schools events, and most importantly to reach out to under privileged and misrepresented students at community colleges.

J.) Self-perception of interview skills: It is decent but needs to improve on clarity and speed. I tend to get nervous and lose my train of thought.

K.) Overall impression of personal statement quality: I am not the best writer so this area is probably my weakest.

Additionally, I received my BS in Toxicology. I am thinking of getting certified as a technician, but I am not sure. I appreciate any feedback on my chances of getting into one of the schools I mentioned, thanks!

What is you cgpa and sgpa with the two schools averaged? Also you state 4 hrs a week at a pharmacy. Is that for 2 weeks or for 2 years?

What is you cgpa and sgpa with the two schools averaged? Also you state 4 hrs a week at a pharmacy. Is that for 2 weeks or for 2 years?
You meant average of the two GPAs right? If it is then, it's about 3.45. To be specific, I've only been volunteering for 5 months with roughly about 170 total hours. There are weeks where I spent 4 hrs a week and there are others where I spent 16 + hours.

Applying to MCP Worcester, St Johns, Rutgers, still not sure where else.

Overall GPA - 3.1
BS in Biochemistry
Northeastern University

Major GPA - 3.0

Last 2 yrs GPA - 3.43 in Spring 10, 3.3 in Fall 09, 2.6 in Spring 09, 2.9 in Fall 08

Have not taken the PCAT; plan to apply to schools that don't require it. Working 40 hours a week and taking school courses, just don't have the time as of this app cycle to study and take this exam.

2 yrs of Pharmacy Tech experience at an independent pharmacy.

Have 1 LOR from a freshman Bio professor, and 1 LOR from a compounding pharmacist that used to teach at MCP. Owner of the Pharmacy I work at is on the board of directors at MCP, but in case he can't put in a good word for me I'd like to see what you guys think of my chances at any other non PCAT school in the Northeast US.

Newer programs do not I believe...I am from ohio and applied to places in wisconsin and colorado which were new and easily got interviews with only a 3.5 and 51 on the PCAT...they are usually begging for people...the risk is that you really want to apply to a school with full accreditation because money wise your loans may accrue interest from day 1 and you could be stuck with debt if they don't eventually get full accreditation...

Hello,
I’m a senior in High school and I want to apply to 0-6 schools instead of 2-4. Gpa: 3.2 unweighted & 4.3 weighted, Over 80 volunteer hours @ hospital & elementary school. NHS, Volleyball, small groups @ high school, Honors society @ college, top 5% in HS, & AA degree out of HS.
Should I apply to 2-4 or 0-6?
Thanks a bunch! [=

Alright guys so I’m currently in the process of completing my pharmcas app and I keep doubting my chances of getting in and keep getting depressed. I just really wanna get in. Here are my stats:

Applying to UCSF, UOP, Touro, Pacific University, LECOM, Thomas Jefferson, Midwestern-Glendale, Nova, University Florida, Palm Beach Atlantic, Massachusetts-Worcester, Creighton and maybe more because I really need to get in this year!

BS in Biology at UC Davis
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Prereq GPA: 3.27
Science GPA: 2.8
Math GPA: 3.9

Pharmacy Experience: 100hrs of volunteering at a community pharmacy. No tech license

Volunteer Work: Two years on the tennis team. Won the female athlete of the year award and the Arthur Ashe sportsmanship of the year award. Tutor for 1st-5th graders at the local library for 2 years.
60 hrs cardiac rehab volunteer at hospital.
Pharmacy club member 1 year which involved various volunteer events
50 hrs in teaching exchange students with their English skills for Partners in Acquiring Language program.

PCAT: Plan to take in August...at the moment I am feeling very confident.

3 LORS: Tennis coach, science professor, pharmacist

I went to community college for two years and then transferred to University of California Davis. In CC my gpa was 3.9 after taking all my electives, math courses (up to calc II), bio, and gen chem I & II…..At UC Davis everything went downhill. I got a D in ochemI and received a C after retaking it and also received a C in ochem II. I love chem but just had to deal with unfortunate circumstances during my time at UC Davis (major family problems), and overall just felt lost when I transferred because I didn’t really know what I specifically wanted to do after graduating but eventually figured it out. I’ve also received one F in a course that is NOT a prereq for pharm. I also have 4 Ws on my university transcript which happened because I dropped the courses a few days past the drop deadline but thought I had the deadline right (I know I know). After graduation I enrolled in some courses at a CC to boost my gpa and got all As.

What do you guys think my chances are? Any tips or suggestions!

#1 University of Southern Nevada
#2 University of the Pacific
#3 Midwestern University
These three schools have been my top choices for 2 years now. Recently, I've added more schools to apply to to increase my chances of getting in... (in no particular order)
Wingate, Campbell, Purdue, Mercer, Roosevelt, Ferris State, Kansas, and Sullivan.

b. Overall GPA: 3.43
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.6
d. GPA since 2008: 3.82
e. PCAT: I have not taken the PCAT yet, but I feel confident about it. I am taking it in August and possibly October.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 days of job shadowing at two different pharmacies
g. Date of application submission: I haven't applied because I have not taken the PCAT

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: I have 2 LORs from science teachers, and I am pretty sure one pharmacist I have job shadowed is going to write me an LOR.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I've worked several jobs since the age of 14 (I'm 24 now), but none particularly in pharmacy, and I have no volunteer work...

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I have always been able to do great in job interviews

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I have been working on this since PharmCAS opened application for 2011 enrollment. So far I feel like my personal statement is good, but it's not fantastic.

Additional Information: I have 92 units completed at 3 separate community colleges. A classmate of mine already had his bachelors in chemistry, but he was retaking classes to obtain a higher GPA (he was also interested in pharmacy school). He said that the CC we attended was equally as difficult as the university he attended.

I feel like my weak points are: no bachelors degree, limited pharmacy experience, and no volunteer work.

To explain my GPA... I started going to college in 2004 and had no idea what I wanted to do in terms of my career. I worked full time, my grades suffered, and I stopped going to college after only 2 semesters. I continued to work full time for the next 3.5 years, and I would eventually go back to school in 2008. One of the reasons my top choice is USN is because of the "academic forgiveness" policy; my poor early grades won't effect my GPA.

Any help/suggestions/comments is appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: My reason for 3 different schools is this: When I first graduated high school I moved out with friends and attended a school far away from my hometown. It didn't work out with them, so I moved back in with my parents. Here I go to 2 schools. There is a nearby school that offers only some of the classes I need, but it is close. I take whatever I can here because of the distance. The other school is far away (1.25 hour drive) and I take the rest of the classes there.

Edit #2: Just called up the hospital nearby. I'll be volunteering as much as I can until I apply (shortly after I take the PCAT in August)

Also, feel free to give any feedback/tips/etc by PM'ing me. Thanks again.

Last edited:
#1 University of Southern Nevada
#2 University of the Pacific
#3 Midwestern University
These three schools have been my top choices for 2 years now. Recently, I've added more schools to apply to to increase my chances of getting in... (in no particular order)
Wingate, Campbell, Purdue, Mercer, Roosevelt, Ferris State, Kansas, and Sullivan.

b. Overall GPA: 3.43
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.6
d. GPA since 2008: 3.82
e. PCAT: I have not taken the PCAT yet, but I feel confident about it. I am taking it in August and possibly October.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 days of job shadowing at two different pharmacies
g. Date of application submission: I haven't applied because I have not taken the PCAT

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: I have 2 LORs from science teachers, and I am pretty sure one pharmacist I have job shadowed is going to write me an LOR.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I've worked several jobs since the age of 14 (I'm 24 now), but none particularly in pharmacy, and I have no volunteer work...

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I have always been able to do great in job interviews

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I have been working on this since PharmCAS opened application for 2011 enrollment. So far I feel like my personal statement is good, but it's not fantastic.

Additional Information: I have 92 units completed at 3 separate community colleges. A classmate of mine already had his bachelors in chemistry, but he was retaking classes to obtain a higher GPA (he was also interested in pharmacy school). He said that the CC we attended was equally as difficult as the university he attended.

I feel like my weak points are: no bachelors degree, limited pharmacy experience, and no volunteer work.

To explain my GPA... I started going to college in 2004 and had no idea what I wanted to do in terms of my career. I worked full time, my grades suffered, and I stopped going to college after only 2 semesters. I continued to work full time for the next 3.5 years, and I would eventually go back to school in 2008. One of the reasons my top choice is USN is because of the "academic forgiveness" policy; my poor early grades won't effect my GPA.

Any help/suggestions/comments is appreciated. Thank you.

I would say your chances at getting in are fairly low, but it is possible.
The trend has become that while a bachelor's degree is not required, to be accepted without one you must really stand out from the crowd. Your GPA is competitive, and you have an upward trend, which is good, but some schools will look down upon attending 3 or 4 different schools for someone your age unless you have a compelling reason for changing schools so often. Even schools that don't have "academic forgiveness" (almost all) take into consideration when you took courses.

The biggest thing against you is the combination of no degree, no volunteer work, and very limited pharmacy/medical experience. In my opinion, without knowing more, right now you have a chance but not a very good one. I would say if you address the issues I mentioned you would be competitive at most schools.

I'm not certain about this, but I think Kansas is not accepting applications for 2011. If I remember right they're in the process of changing from a 1-5 to a 2-4 program.

I plan to apply (in 2012) to:
UF
USF

b. Overall GPA

After my 19-current community college credits: 3.31
Realistic estimation after 60-community college credits: 3.4

c. Math/Science GPA

After my 19-current community college credits: 3.85
Realistic estimation after 60-community college credits: 3.70

Community College(19-credits): 3.31
High School(Senior Year): Approximately 3.45

N/A (planning to take it in January).

N/A.

N/A.

Numerous community-college professors willing to give LOR when needed.

1/2 year of gift-shop experience at hospital.
1/2 year of tutoring experience at my college (albeit, for a class).

Average.

Above-average.

So far, how do I look? What should someone in my position look to get on a PCAT? Am I out of my league? If you don't believe I could get into those schools, what schools do you believe I would have a better chance at(does not have to be in Florida, but I prefer public)?

There are three pharmacists in my family. I'd be 21 when applying to pharmacy schools, and I would have my associates.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! This is my first post on here so here goes!
I would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on my current situation because Im submitting for fall 2011 and becoming worried about my pharm app...thanks!

Midwestern-Chicago, Chicago State, UIC, Ohio State, Butler, Campbell, UNC, Wingate, Maryland, Notre Dame of Maryland, U of Tenn, East Tenn, Lipscomb, Belmont, Virginia Commonwealth

b. Overall GPA
3.35 (GPA was a 3.5 before my health problems started)
I will have a BS in Pharmacy

c. Math/Science GPA

(This is part of the situation i'll explain below)

Taking it in August

Worked as Pharm tech for CVS for almost 2 years

aiming to submit primary by end of June, secondary apps also ASAP

4 LORS- I think they should all be pretty good
O Chem Prof, Pre-Pharm advisor, non-science prof, Pharmacist

I've worked for 3 years as a gen chem TA
volunteered for 4 years at James Hospital
volunteered in fundraising activities for St. Jude
Also was President of my Sorority

I think my interview skills will be ok, Im generally good with people

okk Im trying to make this as good as possible but im having trouble in trying to fit explaing my extenuating circumstances with the rest of my statement explaining why I chose pharmacy

ok so basically what happened was at the start of this year, I had a 3.5 GPA. However, midway through fall quarter my docs found a mole that was stage 2 melanoma. I didnt have to go through chemo for treatment, so I decided to finish out the quarter rather than withdrawing. I have dealt with a seizure disorder my whole life, and the stress of melanoma triggered this so I also started having seizures again. Because of all this I became pretty depressed and was kind of a mess. I did absolutely horrible that quarter and it dropped my GPA to a 3.4. I didnt take any classes in the winter, came back to school this spring and got a B+ in ochem lab but a D in my physics which I will need to retake (physics is def my worst subject) and now my GPA is a 3.35. Im just hoping my app doesnt get thrown out initially because of a lower GPA before considering my circumstances.....

any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone! This is my first post on here so here goes!
I would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on my current situation because Im submitting for fall 2011 and becoming worried about my pharm app...thanks!

Midwestern-Chicago, Chicago State, UIC, Ohio State, Butler, Campbell, UNC, Wingate, Maryland, Notre Dame of Maryland, U of Tenn, East Tenn, Lipscomb, Belmont, Virginia Commonwealth

b. Overall GPA
3.35 (GPA was a 3.5 before my health problems started)
I will have a BS in Pharmacy

c. Math/Science GPA

(This is part of the situation i'll explain below)

Taking it in August

Worked as Pharm tech for CVS for almost 2 years

aiming to submit primary by end of June, secondary apps also ASAP

4 LORS- I think they should all be pretty good
O Chem Prof, Pre-Pharm advisor, non-science prof, Pharmacist

I've worked for 3 years as a gen chem TA
volunteered for 4 years at James Hospital
volunteered in fundraising activities for St. Jude
Also was President of my Sorority

I think my interview skills will be ok, Im generally good with people

okk Im trying to make this as good as possible but im having trouble in trying to fit explaing my extenuating circumstances with the rest of my statement explaining why I chose pharmacy

ok so basically what happened was at the start of this year, I had a 3.5 GPA. However, midway through fall quarter my docs found a mole that was stage 2 melanoma. I didnt have to go through chemo for treatment, so I decided to finish out the quarter rather than withdrawing. I have dealt with a seizure disorder my whole life, and the stress of melanoma triggered this so I also started having seizures again. Because of all this I became pretty depressed and was kind of a mess. I did absolutely horrible that quarter and it dropped my GPA to a 3.4. I didnt take any classes in the winter, came back to school this spring and got a B+ in ochem lab but a D in my physics which I will need to retake (physics is def my worst subject) and now my GPA is a 3.35. Im just hoping my app doesnt get thrown out initially because of a lower GPA before considering my circumstances.....

any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

There really isn't that much difference between a 3.35 and a 3.5 GPA...

Extenuating circumstances can possibly be talked about in the additional information section instead of the PS.

I would say as long as you score decent on the PCAT and can adequately explain why you had recent difficulties in school you will be fine.

GPA Overall 2.9
Science GPA: above a 2.5 below 2.9.
BS in Biology by May 2011 before Pharm school.
Finished Pre reqs:
Worked in Retail Pharmacy, Compounding Pharmacy, Long term Care = 7+ years experience. and other work experience. CPhT. 10/10 in Pharmcas application(Max. allotted space for entering diff jobs.)
Extra curriculars are very strong. Filled the 10/10 for Pharmcas application
220+ hrs of community service (Max. allotted space for entering extra curriculars .)

I have NOT taken PCAT yet, Aug 21 2010 is the date of my PCAT.
I want to apply for Fall 11 Matriculation.

-Do I send Pharmcas before I get PCAT scores?
- Where do I have the best chances for getting in?
- I want to apply to UF, LECOM ,NOVA and Midwestern.
- How long until PCAT scores are available?

What do you think? :xf:

Hey everybody,

Here are my stats:

University of Illinois-Chicago (4th choice)

University of North Carolina (T-3rd choice)

UC San Francisco (1st choice)

University of texas (2nd choice)

University of houston
SUNY-buffalo (T-3rd choice)

university of maryland
Albany College of Pharmacy
University of Southern Nevada
Glendale College of Pharmacy
University of Hawaii-Hilo
Nova Pharmacy school

b. Overall GPA
3.78 (but its from 6 different schools and I still have a about 30 semester units work left
2 Ws 3 years ago (both non pre-pharmacy requirements)
1 B in general chemistry and the rest As in the other pre-pharmacy requirements
plan to take 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 2 semester of physics this fall and spring

I will have a BS in Liberal Studies in the Summer of 2010
my lowest GPA in any one semester has been my first semester (3.47)

c. Math/Science GPA
3.72 (all from 6 different schools)

about 3.8-3.85

Taking it in August and retaking it in October if its not good enough, aiming for a 80 composite, and no less than 70 on each section

Worked as Pharmacy cashier for CVS for almost 2 years

aiming to submit primary by end of August, secondary apps also ASAP

3 LORS- I think they should all be pretty good, known professors since 2006
Humanities Professor, Statistics Professor, trying to reach Chemistry professor

volunteered for 4 years for trash clean up in my local neighborhood program

I think my interview skills will be ok, Im generally good with people. Still want to do those mock interview sometime though

not sure yet

Anything else: I really want to go to UCSF (its my first choice). But here's the problem, I have taken classes from 6 different colleges in 4 states and even though I did well I am worried that the pharmacy schools think I cannot make up my mind on where to stay. This happened because my parents had to constantly move around to look for jobs (repeated laid-offs). Also because of this movement and financial trouble, I had to work a lot during the fall terms and spring terms, leaving me only summer terms and part-time spring terms for college classes. My question is:

even though I have only 1 B in a prepharmacy requirement and the rest As, will taking classes in the summer and part-time in the last 2 years be looked down upon. I took full 30 semester units my first year and then worked and then went to summer school and then worked. However, this fall and spring semester I saved enough money to go to full 30 semester units of classes to get my 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 2 semester of physics done. How bad will the inconsistent schedule look even though I explained my scenario, good GPA, and assuming good PCAT scores on my application

a) Schools: Oregon State University, Pacific University, University of Southern Nevada, Washington State University​

b)Total GPA: 3.53
c)Science GPA: 3.53
d)Last two years GPA:3.47-3.66
e)PCAT scores: N/A
f)I dont have any pharmacy experience
g)Apply for Fall 2011
h)3 LOR: From upper division biology teachers and one from Spanish prof
i)I volunteer at the soup kitchen and a alzehimer care facility. In high school I coordinated 7 blood drives, but I don't know if they look at what you did in high school. I was assistant manager at a store for about 3 months before they had to close due to the recession. I have a tough time participating in a lot of extra curricular activities due to obligations to my siblings and the rest of my family.
j)For my interview skills I know I get nervous, but I have always been complemented on my communications skills after school interviews in the past so I think I should do fine as long as I prepare.
k) My personal statement should be no problem I am decent at writing papers and I have several a people that I trust to give their honest opinion.​

I just wanted to get someones opinion on my chances, my advisor I have right now is not very helpful and they just retired so I will get a new advisor that probably won't be much help until they have more experience with pharmacy school stuff.
Any advice would be greatful,
Thanks​

GPA Overall 2.9
Science GPA: above a 2.5 below 2.9.
BS in Biology by May 2011 before Pharm school.
Finished Pre reqs:
Worked in Retail Pharmacy, Compounding Pharmacy, Long term Care = 7+ years experience. and other work experience. CPhT. 10/10 in Pharmcas application(Max. allotted space for entering diff jobs.)
Extra curriculars are very strong. Filled the 10/10 for Pharmcas application
220+ hrs of community service (Max. allotted space for entering extra curriculars .)

I have NOT taken PCAT yet, Aug 21 2010 is the date of my PCAT.
I want to apply for Fall 11 Matriculation.

-Do I send Pharmcas before I get PCAT scores?
- Where do I have the best chances for getting in?
- I want to apply to UF, LECOM ,NOVA and Midwestern.
- Should I apply after PCAT scores are in>??

What do you think? What are my chances?:xf:

I plan to apply (in 2012) to:
UF
USF

b. Overall GPA

After my 19-current community college credits: 3.31
Realistic estimation after 60-community college credits: 3.4

c. Math/Science GPA

After my 19-current community college credits: 3.85
Realistic estimation after 60-community college credits: 3.70

Community College(19-credits): 3.31
High School(Senior Year): Approximately 3.45

N/A (planning to take it in January).

N/A.

N/A.

Numerous community-college professors willing to give LOR when needed.

1/2 year of gift-shop experience at hospital.
1/2 year of tutoring experience at my college (albeit, for a class).

Average.

Above-average.

So far, how do I look? What should someone in my position look to get on a PCAT? Am I out of my league? If you don't believe I could get into those schools, what schools do you believe I would have a better chance at(does not have to be in Florida, but I prefer public)?

There are three pharmacists in my family. I'd be 21 when applying to pharmacy schools, and I would have my associates.
I say get through more school.

was your orgo class 2 semesters? i am not sure if UIC will take your orgo class since it was designed for techs

Hi! i just wanted to know what my chances are getting accepted.
here are my stats:
graduated in 2006 with BSc in Microbiology
cGPA: 2.95
post-bacc GPA: 4.0
PCAT: 82
i have 2 good LORs and have volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for over 100 hours.
-i am also planning to get certified as a tech and gain more volunteer experience.
thanks for the help

Applying to Touro, UOP, and UCSF.

Overall GPA
: 3.80-3.85
Science GPA: 3.85-3.95
Math GPA: 4.0
Experience/Clubs: Pharm Clerk at CVS. Many honors clubs. Vice President of Chem Club... etc. Have a great number of volunteer hours and hoping to become a PharmTech before Fall '11.

Background: I'm only at a Community College completing all my pre-reqs and some extra classes here and there in case I decide to go to UCLA and get my BS in Biochemistry. I started CC a while ago, but I took time off from school when I was failing my classes. I turned around, took a year off, and lost 160 pounds. I've been back to school since and brought my GPA from a 2.3 back to a 3.8 and steadily improving it every semester.

I know my chances are low because I'm applying without a degree, but is it possible I will have a good chance at getting in somewhere? Are these the only 3 schools in CA that accept applicants without a bachelors? I'm hoping with a strong personal essay I have a shot. My LOR's are really strong also.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Im currently a cc student i wanted to know if anyone can help me by telling me more or less what are my chances in getting into a pharmD school i have a 3.85 overall gpa and a 3.9 science gpa i still havent taken my pcat but im scheduled to take it in October. I bought the Dr Collins books to study and will start studying once it comes in hopefully this week. I just want to know what you guys could recommend and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be done with all my prereq by the end of the spring 2011. should i apply now or wait till the 2012 process. Please help

Im currently a cc student i wanted to know if anyone can help me by telling me more or less what are my chances in getting into a pharmD school i have a 3.85 overall gpa and a 3.9 science gpa i still havent taken my pcat but im scheduled to take it in October. I bought the Dr Collins books to study and will start studying once it comes in hopefully this week. I just want to know what you guys could recommend and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be done with all my prereq by the end of the spring 2011. should i apply now or wait till the 2012 process. Please help

I don't see why not. You have a great GPA and will be done with all of your prereqs by spring 2011. Do you have pharmacy experience and volunteer hours?

I don't see why not. You have a great GPA and will be done with all of your prereqs by spring 2011. Do you have pharmacy experience and volunteer hours?
My father is a cardiologist and promised to help me get a job at a hospital pharmacy. I plan on stating to work on some volunteer hours. Any other ideas on how to make me look better i really want to get into pharmacy school by Fall

Hi all! What do you think?

BA in Biology with Chemistry minor from UNC Chapel Hill

3.45 overall GPA -- probably similar or a bit higher science GPA

87 on PCAT -- thinking of retaking soon. I took it before organic chem and upper level biology courses.

Volunteer for 2 summers in hospital pharmacy -- about 25 hours/week

Have been a pharmacy technician in a community setting for the past 6 months.

I'm hoping to get into UNC School of Pharmacy.

Thanks for your help!

Hi all! What do you think?

BA in Biology with Chemistry minor from UNC Chapel Hill

3.45 overall GPA -- probably similar or a bit higher science GPA

87 on PCAT -- thinking of retaking soon. I took it before organic chem and upper level biology courses.

Volunteer for 2 summers in hospital pharmacy -- about 25 hours/week

Have been a pharmacy technician in a community setting for the past 6 months.

I'm hoping to get into UNC School of Pharmacy.

Thanks for your help!

You have a pretty solid application. UNC is a top notch pharmacy school so the competition will be fierce. You probably have a great shot but you should also look at casting a wider net just in case the applicant pool is extremely competitive. Consider other schools in the area if your limited to the region. Otherwise, you should look at some more research/clinically oriented programs that are similar to UNC.

Applying to Touro, UOP, and UCSF.

Overall GPA
: 3.80-3.85
Science GPA: 3.85-3.95
Math GPA: 4.0
Experience/Clubs: Pharm Clerk at CVS. Many honors clubs. Vice President of Chem Club... etc. Have a great number of volunteer hours and hoping to become a PharmTech before Fall '11.

Background: I'm only at a Community College completing all my pre-reqs and some extra classes here and there in case I decide to go to UCLA and get my BS in Biochemistry. I started CC a while ago, but I took time off from school when I was failing my classes. I turned around, took a year off, and lost 160 pounds. I've been back to school since and brought my GPA from a 2.3 back to a 3.8 and steadily improving it every semester.

I know my chances are low because I'm applying without a degree, but is it possible I will have a good chance at getting in somewhere? Are these the only 3 schools in CA that accept applicants without a bachelors? I'm hoping with a strong personal essay I have a shot. My LOR's are really strong also.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Well, the upward trend is certainly significant and a good thing but I think it is safe to say that pretty much all Cali schools "require" a degree whether officially or not...meaning, most of the applicants you will be up against will probably have degrees. Your pharmacy experience definitely helps to balance out your application and I do know that UCSF likes to look at "softs" (ie the whole package). You really need to make your PS count and if you get an interview, you HAVE to nail it because of your somewhat checkered past (grade wise- 2.3 is abysmal). What I have heard though is that the CC in Cali are pretty good and that the universities honor them as such. I say go for it, but you probably want to consider some OOS schools as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.