THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Schools you are applying to: USC, UCSF, UCSD, Touro, Western, UoP, Loma Linda
Overall GPA: around 3.8
Math/Science gpa: 3.9
Complete PCAT courses: have not given yet, prob around 80
Pharmacy experience: none, planning to before appplying.

havent applied yet, will apply the coming summer for class of 2011
Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:hoping to get good ones.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: club memberships in 3 of the clubs
j. Self-perception of interview skills: good if i practice well

the down side is that i do NOT have a bachelors degree. i am planning to take license as a tech, and working on all other things, but will not having a bachelors degree still make a huge difference? :(

what are my chances to get admission in any of the above schools?

URGENT HELP NEEDED! Thanks a lot!
Im waiting :)
I really wouldn't even waste the money applying to USC if you don't have a bachelors since they imply on their website "A bachelor's degree is required prior to entrance." http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/requirements.html

Why waste the app fee if it clearly says it? ya know?

Idk about your stats for the other schools, but you for sure better get your tech license. You'll be going up against candidates who probably have higher degrees.. may even some PhD candidates.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
Schools you are applying to: USC, UCSF, UCSD, Touro, Western, UoP, Loma Linda
Overall GPA: around 3.8
Math/Science gpa: 3.9
Complete PCAT courses: have not given yet, prob around 80
Pharmacy experience: none, planning to before appplying.

havent applied yet, will apply the coming summer for class of 2011
Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:hoping to get good ones.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: club memberships in 3 of the clubs
j. Self-perception of interview skills: good if i practice well

the down side is that i do NOT have a bachelors degree. i am planning to take license as a tech, and working on all other things, but will not having a bachelors degree still make a huge difference? :(

what are my chances to get admission in any of the above schools?

URGENT HELP NEEDED! Thanks a lot!
Im waiting :)

Bachelor degree will make a difference for certain schools. I think USC requires it and statistically speaking ( strictly statistics wise) there seems to be only 1-2 students each year accepted w/out a BS degree to UCSF. I'm not sure about Touro, but based my own experience and my friends experiences - everyone that I know of that got invited for an interview had a BS as well.

You have a really good overall application though, so I wouldn't feel down if I was you.

Thanks you two for ur anwers :) I really appreciate this forum, and i have learned a LOT of pharmacy stuff from here!

@cheburashka, thanks for ur appreciation :) but the thing is that if you were in my place, would you continue with the pre- reqs, or would you also try doing bachelors?
What if I complete pre pharm courses, do all the extra- curriculars and have a good pcat score, but still dont get admsiion in any uni.. as u said that the chances for people without a BS is very small.
I donot want to waste my time. wat do u think is best route for me? continue with completing pre reqs, taking a BS degree in chem or bio along with completing the pre-reqs?
I know the second option sounds more sensible, but what i have less is time..i have to graduate from pharm school in 6 years from now, because of some reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i've already applied to my school but now i just want to get a decent read on WAMC - before just due to my GPA i would have thought i had no chance but then i got waitlisted at maryland and accepted at colorado when i wasn't even expecting interviews, so i just wanted to know what my chances are for UT austin....

a. Schools you are applying t
o: UT Austin, but I've already been accepted to U Colorado
b. Overall GPA: 3.0 ish - but i got a bioengineering degree from an Ivy League
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.72
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.34
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): composite 97% taken summer 2008
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none, although i plan on getting a tech license soon
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): just submitted
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from a professor I worked with for 2 summers at UT southwestern, one from a professor at my school
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: volunteer tutoring for 2-3 years, research for 2 summers at UT southwestern in biochemistry, 1 summer in Taiwan, officer position in a women's biomedical society
j. Personal statement: decent - i don't think it's particularly good or bad, i'd say average

so how do you think my chances are?

thanks in advance for the help!!

Hello,

Some background:

I will be graduating in Spring 2010 with a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. My official PharmCAS GPA is a 2.98. My PCAT score, which I took in January 08, was an 84% composite. I have done a semester of undergraduate research in one of the molecular biology labs on campus. I also have been a Certified Pharmacy Technician at Walgreen's for over a year. I also have done job shadowing/ working experience in a hospital pharmacy twice.

Unfortunately, I did not get my PharmCAS applications out in a very timely matter due to some transcript difficulties. I have applied to Midwestern University in Downers Grove, Butler University, University of Tennesse, and Chicago State University.

I sent my PharmCAS applications to Midwestern and Chicago State on January 4th 2010. I sent out the other two by January 15th 2010.

I realize that you guys aren't admissions officers or anything, but do I stand any chance of getting an interview at any of these schools? I do not mind brutal honesty.

Thanks,

Picard

Hello,

Some background:

I will be graduating in Spring 2010 with a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. My official PharmCAS GPA is a 2.98. My PCAT score, which I took in January 08, was an 84% composite. I have done a semester of undergraduate research in one of the molecular biology labs on campus. I also have been a Certified Pharmacy Technician at Walgreen's for over a year. I also have done job shadowing/ working experience in a hospital pharmacy twice.

Unfortunately, I did not get my PharmCAS applications out in a very timely matter due to some transcript difficulties. I have applied to Midwestern University in Downers Grove, Butler University, University of Tennesse, and Chicago State University.

I sent my PharmCAS applications to Midwestern and Chicago State on January 4th 2010. I sent out the other two by January 15th 2010.

I realize that you guys aren't admissions officers or anything, but do I stand any chance of getting an interview at any of these schools? I do not mind brutal honesty.

Thanks,

Picard

You need to post in the WAMC thread at the top of the forum. You are going to have a hard time getting an interview this late in the game, but it is still possible. You need to get more experience and try to get your GPA up.

Hello,

Some background:

Thanks,

Picard

I was accepted to MWU and I have similar stats as you. I think you stand a good chance. Make sure to nail your interviews. That will be the deciding factor.

"I was accepted to MWU and I have similar stats as you. I think you stand a good chance. Make sure to nail your interviews. That will be the deciding factor."

Yeah, my late application is the only thing worrying me right now. I got my application submitted to PharmCAS on time, but I'm not sure if their deadline of 1-5-10 is when you must have it submitted to PharmCAS or when they want to receive it from PharmCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I was accepted to MWU and I have similar stats as you. I think you stand a good chance. Make sure to nail your interviews. That will be the deciding factor."

Yeah, my late application is the only thing worrying me right now. I got my application submitted to PharmCAS on time, but I'm not sure if their deadline of 1-5-10 is when you must have it submitted to PharmCAS or when they want to receive it from PharmCAS.

The deadline is when you must submit to pharmcas. They will send you the supplemental. I believe MWU has a supp deadline of 2-15 and if it is the Glendale one, be ready to write an essay and have a CV. Since you have already forked over the 150 bucks or whatever, you might as well pay the extra 50 and see what happens...you never know!

The deadline is when you must submit to pharmcas. They will send you the supplemental. I believe MWU has a supp deadline of 2-15 and if it is the Glendale one, be ready to write an essay and have a CV. Since you have already forked over the 150 bucks or whatever, you might as well pay the extra 50 and see what happens...you never know!

Whats a CV? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob.

Whats a CV? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob.

Im getting really nervous because I read about how many people have already been accepted and I dont think im in a good position. I applied to Wayne and Ferris state back in November and have a Interview at Wayne next week, but I have not heard from Ferris State at all...has anyone else?
Also, I applied to both Midwestern and LECOM branches and just submited my supplemental applications this past monday, which was the 18th...what are my chances of still getting a interview. I have a 3.2 gpa and a 67th PCAT. I have taken many courses that are not required like high end bio courses and have worked in retail pharmacy for a year and 3 months and have great Rec. letters

Im getting really nervous because I read about how many people have already been accepted and I dont think im in a good position. I applied to Wayne and Ferris state back in November and have a Interview at Wayne next week, but I have not heard from Ferris State at all...has anyone else?
Also, I applied to both Midwestern and LECOM branches and just submited my supplemental applications this past monday, which was the 18th...what are my chances of still getting a interview. I have a 3.2 gpa and a 67th PCAT. I have taken many courses that are not required like high end bio courses and have worked in retail pharmacy for a year and 3 months and have great Rec. letters

Don't give up becuase you never know what might happen. I have had interview invites from 6 out of the 7 schools I applied to and I have actually declined 4 of them. The one school I haven't heard from is Ferris, so I have no idea what it up with them. After I got my PCAT results back, I didn't think I was going to get any interviews and I was accepted to the first school I interviewed at. January 14 was the first day of interviews at Wayne and no one has heard anything back from there, so you are fine with them. The other schools I don't know much about.
Are you getting a B.S. in biology or have you just mostly taken pre reqs? Also, are you currently at a university or a cc? Everything else sounds good.

I took 1 year at a cc then said it was worthless so I went to a university. I'm not getting a degree, i'm just taking the prereqs plus a lot of other classes that will give me a better chance. Yeah i'm not sure what is going on with Ferris but thats my number 1 place to go and know one is hearing back from them. But i'm constantly reading of people getting accepted to the other schools I have applied to and its really scaring me

Schools you are applying to: U of Toronto, UBC, U of Saskatchewan, U of Alberta, U of Waterloo
Overall GPA: 2.8 presently, but Science gpa is around 3.25ish (I took 2 business courses just to see what that field is lyk and I got C+ in them :eek:)
GPA in last one or two school years: 2nd year student...last year was 3.25 and this year, just took 1 semester yet, so my cgpa including it is 2.8
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite):
VA 24
RC 52
Bio 94
Chem 88
Quan 79
composite 76
Essays 3/2.5

Pharmacy experience obtained: None
Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Does the date make a difference in Canadian schools as well? :confused:

Number of LORs and source of LORs:
a nurse, and 1 professor (i work as a research assistant in his lab)
Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: work in a research lab and volunteer with city of Surrey (events etc.)
Self-perception of interview skills: I haven't had a chance yet with an interview.
Overall impression of personal statement quality: Haven't written yet :(

A resume and CV are actually not the same at all. A resume is generally one, maybe two pages. A CV can be many, many pages long.

I know they're not the same thing, but for most of us pre-pharmers, we have not yet developed a long enough academic repertoire for their to be much of a difference between our CV and resume.

Hey guys, I just found this forum a few days ago... I have no idea how competitive pharmacy school so I figure I'd ask here

I'm a Junior at Penn State, majoring in chemistry. I plan to apply late summer this year

I won't have completed a couple of the biology pre reqs by the time I apply... Is this going to be a problem?

a. Schools you are applying to: USC, UCSF, UNC, UWashinton, UT Austin,
b. Overall GPA: 3.83
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.87
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): have not taken them yet, but I expect to score in the 95-99 percentile
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none, but I plan on volunteering at the local hospital or working as a pharm tech this summer
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I'm going to apply super early
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from my research adviser, 1 from a microbiology professor. I expect both to be pretty solid.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 1.5 years of organic chemistry research (most likely a publication too), maybe an REU in chemistry, pharmacology or biochemistry, worked as a manager at a teeth whitening company over the summer, I also have a skateboarding product on the internet that generates me a good amount of income
j. Personal statement: I think I'll be able to write a solid essay

Thanks!

Hi,

If i have a GPA of about 3.2-3.4,

and I have 1 1/2 years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician

1 year of Undergrad research at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy

im gonna add a few hours of non-pharmacy volunteering...(100+ hours?)

which schools should i apply to, because of my low GPA...

I guess now it comes down to me doing really really well on my PCAT...so if i get 85 percentile...

what schools should i apply to?

would it be a good idea to apply to all the low rating schools?

edit: im gonna be applying my sophmore year..

What are my chances at a top 20 school?

3.7 cumulative GPA
3.8 science GPA

95 composite PCAT
73 verbal
88 biology
85 reading
95 quant
97 chem

3.5/3.5 writing

I graduated in 2005 with a BS in mathematics and a BS in chemistry. I went on to work full time as a professional medicinal chemist (3 years >6000+ hrs in the lab I'd estimate, lol can't believe I didn't get a 99 on the chem). That's how I actually gained a lot of interest in pharmacology. I am co-author on 5 different papers that our group came out with on novel CB2 receptor agonists for the treatment of various types of pain. Last I heard some of our compounds made it into phase I. Does my work experience and publications help a lot with my app? The only glaring hole that I can think of is the fact that I have never worked behind the pharm counter or shadowed a pharmacist. Where should I apply as a non traditional student? I know I have no shadowing experience with a pharmacist, but I really really really became interested in pharmacology through my job. I got hooked on the subject when I began researching allosteric modulators of GPCRs for a presentation that I had to do. I think being a pharmacist is right up my alley. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
What are my chances at a top 20 school?

3.7 cumulative GPA
3.8 science GPA

95 composite PCAT
73 verbal
88 biology
85 reading
95 quant
97 chem

3.5/3.5 writing

I graduated in 2005 with a BS in mathematics and a BS in chemistry. I went on to work full time as a professional medicinal chemist (3 years >6000+ hrs in the lab I'd estimate, lol can't believe I didn't get a 99 on the chem). That's how I actually gained a lot of interest in pharmacology. I am co-author on 5 different papers that our group came out with on novel CB2 receptor agonists for the treatment of various types of pain. Last I heard some of our compounds made it into phase I. Does my work experience and publications help a lot with my app? The only glaring hole that I can think of is the fact that I have never worked behind the pharm counter or shadowed a pharmacist. Where should I apply as a non traditional student? I know I have no shadowing experience with a pharmacist, but I really really really became interested in pharmacology through my job. I got hooked on the subject when I began researching allosteric modulators of GPCRs for a presentation that I had to do. I think being a pharmacist is right up my alley. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I think you have an EXCELLENT chance at almost any school. I wouldn't apply to more than 2 or 3. You should have no problem getting in unless you have seriously bad interviewing skills...and even then you're probably okay.

Hey everyone,

I need some advice from some people who know a lot about pharmacy admissions. I graduated summer 2009 with a B.S in Biology and minors in chemistry and writing. My overall GPA is a 2.83, however I have a strong upward trend. I have to postbacc some classes I didn’t take in undergrad like econ and some other easy classes next term so I’m hoping to raise it to a 2.9. I took the Pcat this January and am applying for a job as a technician soon. I am also a EMT, this is how I became interested in pharmacy. I guess what I’m asking is do I have a chance? I was going to apply for the following year Fall 2011 to a lot of the new schools that opened up but I wonder if I have a chance. I’ve done well in a lot of my upper division science, however my first years in college were not as good “sub 3.0”. Do I have a shot or should I consider some kind of masters, or can I get in as is. I looked online at saw the Mean GPA of the schools

http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/PSAR1011_Table8.pdf

and noticed that some schools have an average GPA sub 3.0, are there schools that I may have more of a shot at? I know you probably get these threads all the time but I really could appreciate some honest advice regarding this. I just need direction in knowing where to go.

Thanks

3.1 GPA at current university, will graduate with BS in Bio in May
3.89 from 2 yrs at Community college--associate's degree earned
Waiting on PCAT scores from Jan exam
Science and Math Grades:
Genetics-B
Cell & molec-B-
Integrative I Bio-B+
Integrative II Bio-A
Ecology-A
A&P I&II-A
Gen Chem-A
Organic I-B
Organic II-A-
Biochem-B+
Calc I-F
CalcI repeat-B
Calc II-B+
statistics-A
General Bio- A

I am a CPhT but due to financial reasons I have to work at a job where I can make more money. I should have good lors: bio prof, a pharmacist (my mentor), and manager of my work. I want to go to VCU. I have a little volunteering experience at drug rehab center. I also have had management positions in two jobs where I have worked for many years. Any insight will be great!

I'm kind of worried if I'll get into any pharmacy schools. I'm going to be applying to all the Texas schools since I'm a Texas resident. I'll be graduating this December and my GPAs right now are:

cGPA: 3.341 (I can get this to atleast 3.5 by the time I graduate)
sGPA: 3.18 (Too many Bs :(, but I can get this a little up as well)

Haven't taken the PCAT, but am aiming for > or = 90 definitely.
I have some extracurriculars and volunteering in various places that aren't pharmacy related. I'm in Pharmacy association, maybe I'll run for a position and see if it helps. I'll try to get some pharmacy related volunteering this semester. From all the amazing stats of students I've read on here....I'm scared. :scared:

Hi! I've just applied to these Pharmacy schools due to last minute change of post-graduation plans. I'm now wondering how would I fare since I submitted my application so late and prepared my application in such a hurry. Any feedback would be really appreciated!

a. Schools you are applying to: SUNY Buffalo, University of Minnesota, University of Tennessee, University of Florida, University of Hawai'i-Hilo
b. Overall GPA: 3.51
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.47 (working on bumping it up before I graduate this summer)
d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~3.20 (overloaded heavily)
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 93 composite
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: pharmacy volunteer
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): primary on Feb 1st, some secondary on Feb 1st as well otherwise, not yet submitted
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LORs. 2 from science professors and 1 from work supervisor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I work at my college's undergraduate admissions office and volunteer at a nursing home pharmacy
j. Self-perception of interview skills: needs a lot of practice with body language and stumbling over words
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: pre-health advisor said the writing is good and I got my message across

Thanks in advance!

i applied to Pitt, LECOM, TJU, and DUQ. i also applied to Cincinnati and maryland-but i messed up my application and missed the deadline. :thumbdown:

Overall GPA:3.5

Math/Science: 3.4, but if you could only my prereqs i have a 3.6-3.7 (I got a B- in genetics and a C in analytical chem)

PCAT Scores: 415-ish (don't remember exactly) 63 percentile

Pharmacy experience: shadowing

Date of application submission: 11/18/09(pharmcas)-12/30/09 (supplementary)

Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3- pharmacist, boss, o-chem professor

I know there are a good number of things wrong here, but honest opinions are always appreciated =)

A. UF (first choice), LECOM (FL), Mercer, Nova, Samford, South
B. Overall GPA: 3.05
C. Math/Science GPA: Somewhere around 2.84, could rise as high as 3.02 if medical withdrawals are all approved (this was mentioned in apps)
D. Unknown (weird division of classes for the past few semesters
E. Composite PCAT: 94% (I'm hoping to ride on this, honestly)
F. 2 years as a pharmacy tech at CVS, FL tech license (not national)
G. 1/30/10 through 2/1/10
H. 3 LoRs, 2 pharmacists (2 year boss and 1 year coworker), 1 MD (several shadowings)
I. 4 years work as a computer repair tech, 4 years community volunteering with MicroBio club, 4 years volunteer work with Fencing Club
J. I'm very confident about my face-to-face interview skills, it's very hard to catch me off guard, and I'm very good at pulling off the "warm and confident" persona
K. I think it was pretty good, but it will appeal more to reviewers who like a narrative.

Will apply in next cycle

a. Schools you are applying to: Maryland Baltimore, VCU (and I need some help adding some more school to my list)
b. Overall GPA: 3.76
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.8
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.7
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) PCAT not taken yet
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Just joining CVS as PSA
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) earliest

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: two Chemistry prof from CC, but knows me well, and one microbio prof
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: microbio TA, organic chem tutor, Clinical Lab assistant
j. Self-perception of interview skills:
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I still have to write ...

hi there,

Cumulative GPA 3.56

Math & Science GPA 3.70 :)

Jan PCAT score expected 60 percentile

Work experience: Pharmacy Technician in a retail pharmacy for one year....

What are my chances for fall 2010 admission??

Applied to:
Thomas Jefferson U
Temple U
LECOM Erie
St. Johns Fisher (N.Y.)

Hello, all. I'm planning to apply this July for enrollment in Fall 2011 since my planned graduation date is in spring 2011. Still deciding whether to do it or not because I haven't completed all my prereqs and I'm afraid this might hurt my application. Please let me know what you guys think!

a. Schools you are applying to: All CA schools.
b. Overall GPA: 3.95
c. Math/Science GPA: 4.0
d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): N/A
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I'm a CPhT, certified since August. I've had pharmacy experience over the summer on a weekly basis for 2 months. I'm also still volunteering monthly as a tech to help out at a clinic in El Hongo, Mexico.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Planning to apply this July for enrollment in Fall 2011.
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from bio/research lab professor (strong), 1 from pharmacist, and 1 from general chem professor (strong).
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I have a few, but not that many compared to others. I'm active in my student health professions association, fairly active in my biology club, and very active in my DJ team (I'm the co-founder and executive director. We've helped fund-raise for charity before). The monthly visit to the clinic in Mexico is also one of my volunteer experience.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: People say I'm very approachable but I feel like I may get nervous at times when it comes to interviews.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I've been told I'm a good writer, though I don't really agree on this. I have difficulty writing about myself!

These are the prerequisites that I've completed so far, along with my grades. I will be missing anatomy/physiology, biochemistry, ochem2, physics2, and public speaking at the time of applying. I'm planning to take microbiology this summer.

I'm really hoping to get into UOP. I'll be missing just 2 prerequisites when applying to this school.

Science:
General Bio 1 w/lab- A
General Bio 2 w/lab- A
General Chem 1 w/lab- A+
General Chem 2 w/ lab- A+
Molecular Bio w/lab- A
Ochem 1- In Progress
Phys 1 w/lab- In Progess

Math:
Calculus (1 sem)- A+
Statistics- A

English/humanities/econ:
English 1- A
English 2- A-
Interpersonal Comm- A-
Psychology- A
Microeconomics- A

Thanks for taking your time!!! It means a lot to me!

EDIT: I'm also a student at a Cal State. Do you think that affects my application at all as well?

Last edited:
dnguyen401: Other than the missing pre-reqs, you look solid to me. Is it possible for you to finish off some of those pre-reqs this summer?

dnguyen401: Other than the missing pre-reqs, you look solid to me. Is it possible for you to finish off some of those pre-reqs this summer?

I can try. Which prereqs do you think I should take together over the summer?

I can try. Which prereqs do you think I should take together over the summer?

It looks like you might be missing 5-6 classes while applying. Are you planning on completing most of your pre-reqs in the Fall quarter/semester? I think someone else mentioned in another thread that a school was waiting for his/her O-chem 2 grades (from Winter quarter Jan-Mar) before consideration for an interview. I think, from what I've read around SDN, you're in very good shape for the 2010-2011 application cycle. I'm still new to this application-bit too, my first interview is next week! haha

Personally, I was missing 4 pre-reqs when I applied (I'm finishing all of them this semester/quarter) and still received an invitation... though the situations may be slightly different. I only have humanities/social science electives to fill up; all my core science classes were complete.

I think you mentioned somewhere else that you're a math person... just go with Physics 2 over the summer. That class is a piece of cake for math orientated people.

It looks like you might be missing 5-6 classes while applying. Are you planning on completing most of your pre-reqs in the Fall quarter/semester? I think someone else mentioned in another thread that a school was waiting for his/her O-chem 2 grades (from Winter quarter Jan-Mar) before consideration for an interview. I think, from what I've read around SDN, you're in very good shape for the 2010-2011 application cycle. I'm still new to this application-bit too, my first interview is next week! haha

Personally, I was missing 4 pre-reqs when I applied (I'm finishing all of them this semester/quarter) and still received an invitation... though the situations may be slightly different. I only have humanities/social science electives to fill up; all my core science classes were complete.

I think you mentioned somewhere else that you're a math person... just go with Physics 2 over the summer. That class is a piece of cake for math orientated people.

Thanks. I will seriously consider taking that course over the summer. So Microbio + physics 2 will be alright?

Thanks. I will seriously consider taking that course over the summer. So Microbio + physics 2 will be alright?

Um, if you think you can handle it. Are both lecture+lab classes at your school?

I know there are a good number of things wrong here, but honest opinions are always appreciated =)

A. UF (first choice), LECOM (FL), Mercer, Nova, Samford, South
B. Overall GPA: 3.05
C. Math/Science GPA: Somewhere around 2.84, could rise as high as 3.02 if medical withdrawals are all approved (this was mentioned in apps)
D. Unknown (weird division of classes for the past few semesters
E. Composite PCAT: 94% (I'm hoping to ride on this, honestly)
F. 2 years as a pharmacy tech at CVS, FL tech license (not national)
G. 1/30/10 through 2/1/10
H. 3 LoRs, 2 pharmacists (2 year boss and 1 year coworker), 1 MD (several shadowings)
I. 4 years work as a computer repair tech, 4 years community volunteering with MicroBio club, 4 years volunteer work with Fencing Club
J. I'm very confident about my face-to-face interview skills, it's very hard to catch me off guard, and I'm very good at pulling off the "warm and confident" persona
K. I think it was pretty good, but it will appeal more to reviewers who like a narrative.

I just wanted to reply to you because my stats are pretty similar to yours except my PCAT is way lower. I applied to all of the schools you have applied to, and have gotten flat out rejections from LECOM and Samford (Samford as of yesterday, actually!) But that said, you have the minimum GPA most schools look for and your PCAT could be the thing that carries you through this application! I wish you the best of luck and I just wanted to chime in because we applied to the same schools. :)

Hi guys, :)

Due to some family issues, I decide to get an insight of pharmacy school and see if I can get in it. I am majoring in Biotechnology at UC Davis, and will be graduating next Winter 2011. But I am planning to apply this cycle.

a. Schools you are applying to: all California schools
b. Overall GPA: 3.86
c. Math/Science GPA: above 3.90
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.85
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): not yet.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none :(
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): plan to apply this year (2010)

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: good ones
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I have done research in plant biology for over 500 hours starting from the summer of last year to now. I am working on two research projects. My own project which I study on transcription factor of the meristem gene. The other project is Tomato Genome Sequencing in which I am a team member.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I believe that if I practiced long enough, I would do well.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: good

To be honest, I do not have any pharmacy experience at this point. I plan to volunteer at a local hospital, but even so, it will be just 3 months of experience. Is there any chance for me at all?

Hi guys, :)

Due to some family issues, I decide to get an insight of pharmacy school and see if I can get in it. I am majoring in Biotechnology at UC Davis, and will be graduating next Winter 2011. But I am planning to apply this cycle.

a. Schools you are applying to: all California schools
b. Overall GPA: 3.86
c. Math/Science GPA: above 3.90
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.85
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): not yet.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none :(
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): plan to apply this year (2010)

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: good ones
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I have done research in plant biology for over 500 hours starting from the summer of last year to now. I am working on two research projects. My own project which I study on transcription factor of the meristem gene. The other project is Tomato Genome Sequencing in which I am a team member.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I believe that if I practiced long enough, I would do well.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: good

To be honest, I do not have any pharmacy experience at this point. I plan to volunteer at a local hospital, but even so, it will be just 3 months of experience. Is there any chance for me at all?

By this cycle you mean for the fall of 2011 right? The just 3 months of experience bit threw me off.

You have a good GPA and CA doesn't require the PCAT, so you're fine there. Who are you getting LORs from?

I think you have a good chance for most pharmacy schools in CA, do you have an ECs? If you are applying for fall 2011 you will have more than 3 months experience. If I'm mistaken and you're applying for this fall... the deadline passed like 4 months ago.

Be sure to have a friend (more 2 or 3...with good writing skills) to proof your personal statement.

By this cycle you mean for the fall of 2011 right? The just 3 months of experience bit threw me off.

You have a good GPA and CA doesn't require the PCAT, so you're fine there. Who are you getting LORs from?

I think you have a good chance for most pharmacy schools in CA, do you have an ECs? If you are applying for fall 2011 you will have more than 3 months experience. If I'm mistaken and you're applying for this fall... the deadline passed like 4 months ago.

Be sure to have a friend (more 2 or 3...with good writing skills) to proof your personal statement.

Thank you so much for your reply :oops:

Sorry, I confused you. Yes, I meant next fall.
But since I am planing to apply this summer, would it mean I only have 3 months of exp prior to applying? Would they consider anything afterward?

I am getting my LoRs from a math professor, a biotech professor, my PI, and another one from a pharmacist. To be honest, only the letter from my PI will be a strong one because she has worked with me for a long time. The other three only kno me through my academic performance, but not my personality.

Regarding the EC, I am currently a web designer for both research projects at UCD. Also, I am in a pre-health club. However, I don't really participate much. I just helped them to make videos for a homeless organization to promote their activities, and gain some insight of health care careers in general.

Hi, I'm from Canada and I've only applied to UW School of Pharmacy... don't want to move out of Ontario and UofT requires a certain math that I did not do and I have not written the PCAT.
a. Schools you are applying to: UW School of pharmacy (Waterloo)
b. Overall GPA: 7.70/9.0 or 3.42/4.0 aiming for 8.1/9.0 or 3.6/4.0 by the end of this year.
c. Math/Science GPA: 8.0/9.0 or 3.56/4.0
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 8.0/9.0 or 3.56/4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Did not write PCAT since it is not required for UW School of Pharmacy.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: in-patient hospital pharmacy for 3 years, and Shoppers Drug Mart Pharmacy since September 2009.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I don't think this matters in Canada.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: UW School of Pharmacy sent me one form to be filled out by one referee, who was a Pharmacist in my case.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Many. Volunteer at Sick Kids Hospital, Heart & Stroke Foundation, past jobs in daycares (YMCA, etc), secretary, tutor/assitant teacher in private school. educational social coordinator for chem society at YorkU, Event's coordinator for TMA at YorkU, Belly dance lessons, Volunteer at local community centre, TA/tutor during last years of highschool. recieved many awards.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: excellent
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I'm very confident about my AP (Application Profile).

I'm kind of new to this, but I hope I can get some good feedback from all of you. I'm in my second year, and I was on the Dean's list for my first year. I'm really hoping to get into UW since I love their coop program and the pharmacist I work with now said I can do my coop work terms with her, which is great. The only downfall is that I'm missing two required courses, which I will be completing before the school years starts for Pharmacy 2011.

Last edited:
a. Schools you are applying to: Sent apps to UT Austin, TX Tech, UIW, UHouston, TX A&M Kingsville, and SWOSU
b. Overall GPA: 3.4
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.5
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): composit 79
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: cert. pharmacy tech-worked in CVS and in hospital. overall 6 months of experience thus far
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Late november for pharmcas, early deadline for Tech, Jan for all rest
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4, my boss/pharmacist-in-charge from CVS, my employer/professor for 2 years, my band director for 2 years, and english professor/extracurricular coach for 4 years
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: worked for 2 years in biology lab department at CC i was attending, volunteer at american cancer society, local zoo, big brothers/big sisters, and with local high school band, president of Phi Theta Kappa honor society, vice-prez of student government, captain of colorguard, member of Lion's Club, Service Club, and Chem Club
j. Personal statement: i feel like its pretty strong. i decided upon pharmacy because my grandpa got cancer and i wanted to go into oncology research and work with cancer drugs, so it centers on that mostly plus the activities i have done.

I graduated from a CC with my Associate's, but don't plan on getting my B.S. I'm mostly worried about my grades, theyre not terrible, i know, but they aren't as high as I would like. I'm a very talkative and outgoing person, so I feel like I do well in interviews, because I can connect well with people.

I've been agonizing over this for the last 6 months of my life :confused:, so I just wanted to see what anyone else thought. Thanks in advance!:D

a. Schools you are applying to: FAMU
b. Overall GPA: 3.2
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.1
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.4
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): n/a
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: pharm tech for 4 years
g. Date of application submission: 1/21
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3...from a graduated pharmD from FAMU my current manager....a UF PharmD graduate my ex-manager, and a dean of the college i previously attended.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: some, but not too much..mainly VA medical hospital, etc...i plan to do some more volunteering.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: adequate..
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: i liked it...i hope its good...

....im praying.

hey everyone,
I am planning to apply to pharmacy schools Jun 2010 (enter pharmacy school Fall of 2011).
anyhow, I DO NOT have my BS yet and will declare as a nonBS applicant. Therefore, I doubt my chances of getting in. However, i have completed all the prerequisite courses after this spring of 2010. i am currently attending a community college and all my prerequ classes are from a community college. I have completed about 100 semester units within 2 years at the community college.

I am just hoping to get into at least one school..please let me know my chances based on your experience

here are my stat

a. Schools you are applying to: planning to apply to schools that do not require BS
b. Overall GPA: 3.87
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.8
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.7
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): planning to take in August of 2010 (aiming for 80%tile)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none. but plan on volunteer from June 2010. also i am planning on getting my pharmtech license..does it helps?
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Planning to apply this June for fall 2010 enrollment
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from ochem professor, 1 from chem professor, and one from pharmacist and one from a clergy
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I teach kids at church for about 5 years and in many volunteer experience for the past 5-7 years
j. Self-perception of interview skills: As of right now, i am aiming for getting an invite to an interview because I do not have a good background of education (from a community college instead of a 4 year)

Status
Not open for further replies.