THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is your GPA as low as it is?

And, from what I've gathered, when you take smaller class loads it doesn't look very good especially if you have a lower GPA.

My old major was electronics engineering. It hurt my grades since I went 2 years into the program and ended up not liking it. I jumped into it right after I graduated high school.

If I knew back then what I was doing now, I would have pulled out long before 2 years.

As for why my class load was light, My old major covered a majority of my electives.

I was stuck with all sequential sciences like biology and chemistry left to do that I simply couldn't take them all at the same time.

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances?
I will graduate with a BS in Biochemistry spring 2010.
I had most of my general requirements at CC, organic chem and microbio (next sem) at uni
GPA: 4.0 both at CC and Uni up to now, but I know it will go down a bit after this sem and the next >__<, senior biochem courses you know ( I got 2 As in biochem 1 and 2 :D)
PCAT: 69%, definitely retake it, probably June 2010, I did poorly in the Verbal (17%) and Reading, but good at Maths and Chemistry. well, I'm sucked at verbal, its not my first language and I live in the US just more than 4 years.
Im doing research in a biochem lab.
I think I can get a good LOR from my research professor, a few other professors also know me
The problem is I dont have any EC or volunteer or working experience.

If a uni require an LOR from a pharmacist and I dont have it, how much will it hold me back?
Btw, I hope to get some school in Texas

What are my chances?
I will graduate with a BS in Biochemistry spring 2010.
I had most of my general requirements at CC, organic chem and microbio (next sem) at uni
GPA: 4.0 both at CC and Uni up to now, but I know it will go down a bit after this sem and the next >__<, senior biochem courses you know ( I got 2 As in biochem 1 and 2 :D)
PCAT: 69%, definitely retake it, probably June 2010, I did poorly in the Verbal (17%) and Reading, but good at Maths and Chemistry. well, I'm sucked at verbal, its not my first language and I live in the US just more than 4 years.
Im doing research in a biochem lab.
I think I can get a good LOR from my research professor, a few other professors also know me
The problem is I dont have any EC or volunteer or working experience.

If a uni require an LOR from a pharmacist and I dont have it, how much will it hold me back?
Btw, I hope to get some school in Texas

Get it above 75% and you'll have a great shot at it, and if verbal is still messing you up when u get interview tell them its not your first language but u should definitely improve on it. Also you shouldn't be so hardheaded to only stay in Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to know what my chances are for the most of schools.
I am an international student, and did so poorly in the earlier years at the university. Since my third year at the universty, I made a change.
So I really want to know if I can go to any of the pharmacy schools listed in the post and what the chances are

I really want to know what my chances are for the most of schools.
I am an international student, and did so poorly in the earlier years at the university. Since my third year at the universty, I made a change.
So I really want to know if I can go to any of the pharmacy schools listed in the post and what the chances are

I think you might get interviewed at a school depending on how the rest of your application looks, but your RC and VA scores are low and I can tell English is a non-native language for you. I bet they would look at how well you can communicate, so I would work on that and take the PCAT again in Jan. That's just my two cents.

a. Schools you are applying to: Univ. Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, Howard, Mercer
b. Overall GPA: 3.95
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.95
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 49,58, taking in january
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS): 11/27/09

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 : all science professors and academic advisor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: mostly tutoring at local high schools and at my school..this takes up most of my free time..a total of 20 hrs a week
j. Self-perception of interview skills: pretty good..i stay calm, im very poise, and i just act like myself
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: i think it was pretty good..my personality is definitely in there

a. Schools you are applying to: Univ. Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, Howard, Mercer
b. Overall GPA: 3.95
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.95
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 49,58, taking in january
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS): 11/27/09

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 : all science professors and academic advisor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: mostly tutoring at local high schools and at my school..this takes up most of my free time..a total of 20 hrs a week
j. Self-perception of interview skills: pretty good..i stay calm, im very poise, and i just act like myself
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: i think it was pretty good..my personality is definitely in there

I was under the impression that Maryland had a minimum PCAT requirement, on that note... you're gpa is obviously impeccable. What sections are bringing down your composite score? I'm always surprised at how people earn such high GPAs and struggle with this test.

edit: i see you are taking it in january. good luck! get that 80+

GPA: 3.27, cumulative

B.S. Degree in Biology from UCI, 2008
**I finished my degree in 3 years only. I had no AP or community college classes to start with. Does that help???

GPA in last year: 3.8 from community college

Pharmacy experience: none yet, but I am certified pharm tech, still looking for a job.

ECs: volunteer at local clinic 100 hours, Undergrad researcher for 2 years and got a summer research fellowship in 2007.

LORs: 1 from research professor, 1 from science professor and 1 from pharmacist (hopefully).

I also speak fluent Arabic and Spanish (dont know if that helps)

Schools I'm applying to: All CA schools: UCSF, USC, UCSD, UOP, Touro, Northstate, Western U

I am considering taking the PCAT. Should I apply out of California to increase my chances?

Sooo, WHAT ARE MY CHANCES????

I was under the impression that Maryland had a minimum PCAT requirement, on that note... you're gpa is obviously impeccable. What sections are bringing down your composite score? I'm always surprised at how people earn such high GPAs and struggle with this test.

Maryland doesn't accept the Jan exam.

i didnt see anything about a minimum from maryland about PCAT scores on their website, but ppl on here say they do....and even if they do i dont care..i still applied b.c u never know what may happen...my first choice is VCU though and then Mercer

i have a 81 in chem on pcat and 76 on bio
the math (34) is really bringing me down :-( i am not quick with numbers and i hate that we dont get scratch paper during the exam b.c i have no room to write everything out
verbal is also killing me (43) and reading (53)
i think i can get the math up of i study till january and im hopin i can get my chem and bio up in the 90's to overshadow verbal and reading

I am a Baylor graduated for premed and have been accepted into an internation medical school but have recently decided to apply for Pharmacy school. I have a 3.56 GPA with the plus grade system and I believe a 3.35 without plus system. I took the PCAT and scored a 96%. I have three recommendation letters, 2 professor and 1 pharmacist. I lack experience, I only worked in a pharmacy as a drug associate for a little over a year during my senior year of high school. What are my odds of getting accepted into a pharmacy school in Texas? I'm hoping to have my applications done by late December or early January. Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA isn't horrible and you have a good PCAT. I'm assuming that you would have gotten good volunteer experience being that you were pre-med before switching to pharmacy, but if you didn't get any you should as soon as you can. The only other thing you have any real control over is your personal statement and any interviews you get. You don't have to have experience in a pharmacy, but it does help with some of the classes and learning the drug names and all.

I am a Baylor graduated for premed and have been accepted into an internation medical school but have recently decided to apply for Pharmacy school. I have a 3.56 GPA with the plus grade system and I believe a 3.35 without plus system. I took the PCAT and scored a 96%. I have three recommendation letters, 2 professor and 1 pharmacist. I lack experience, I only worked in a pharmacy as a drug associate for a little over a year during my senior year of high school. What are my odds of getting accepted into a pharmacy school in Texas? I'm hoping to have my applications done by late December or early January. Thank you

Hi guys,

So I am a second year student at community college...just sent in my application for UCLA and will hopefully be attending next year.

I have taken Biology 21 at Santa Monica College and received a C. I am currently taking General Chemistry 1 and am expecting to receive an A or B. I plan on taking Biology 22 at SMC in the winter and completing my bio series at UCLA. Considering I received a C in Biology 21 does anyone recommend not taking Biology 22 at SMC and restarting the bio series all together at UCLA? I have already withdrawn from a chemistry class in the past and I am expecting to receive yet another C in my pre-calculus class even though this is not a pre-req for pharmacy I am worried these Cs will greatly harm me in addition to a C I recieved in my English 1 class at SMC.

I really want to be able to attend a Pharmacy School in the Los Angeles area and feel as if I am on the wrong path already and am looking for guidance on how to turn things arround and not have these grades harm me significantly.

I am in desperate need of guidance and advice on how to start on the right path to being accepted to Pharmacy school in Los Angeles.

If anyone has any advice for me please let me know. I would really appreciate it because this has been causing me a great amount of stress.

Thank you.:confused:

What are my chances?

Degree: I'll be getting my Biology B.S. in Dec 09

GPA: 2.92

PCAT: 67
High scores in Biology and Chemistry

Pharmacy experience: 3+ years working at a pharmacy

LORs: pharmacist, molecular biology/biochem lab professor, general biology professor, research professor
I'm confident in getting a great LORs from my pharmacist and the professor I'm doing my research for.

Extracurricular activities:
research in a pharmaceutical lab for 6+ months
tutor for general and orgo chem for 2+ years
teach at church for 6+ years
also involve in other church organization, volunteer at the hospital and an active member in a pre-professional club at school

I'm applying to all schools in Texas, Midwestern-Glendale and Howard.

Any other schools you guys would recommend just in case I don't get in this year?

Last edited:
Hi, im a senior in high school and i am planning to apply to 0-6 pharmacy programs. my stats are:
GPA: 3.67
Class rank: 7/600
ACT: 24
A ton of IB and AP classes
No pharmacy experience
PCATs not required
Extracurricular activities: varsity math team, science club, recycling club, asian culture club
Schools applied to: St. John's University, STLCOP, MCPHS, Northeastern University (Boston), University of Pacific

I am really anxious to know which schools i have a chance for and also which of the schools i applied to is the best one to go to.

I applied to UNC in mid-October. I am a Sophomore at UNC.
My PharmCAS GPA is 3.24
My Math/Science GPA is 2.65 (oops.)
I took the PCAT twice: first time/second time
Verbal: 92/86
Biology: 80/90
Reading: 79/90
Quantitative: 77/85
Chemistry: 64/81
Composite: 84/91
Conventions of Language: 2.5/3.0
Problem Solving: 2.5/3.0

I got an interview, and I interviewed on Dec. 2nd.
So...what are my chances? And how long do you think it'll be before I hear back from them?

WAMC?
a. Schools you are applying to
UF, LECOM (Florida), PBA, NOVA

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
Math/Science= 3.32
Science= 3.12

d. GPA in last one or two school years

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Comp-58 :scared:
VA-40
Bio-66
RC-68
QA-39
Chem-68

I will be taking the January PCAT. I did not study for this one and managed to pull off a 58 comp so I think I will up my score by quite a bit.:xf:

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
2 years of retail pharmacy

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
12/09

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
4- 1 from my Organic lab professor, 1 from my math professor of 2 classes, 2 from pharmacists

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Not very much :oops: Just some volunteer work at my church but if HS isnt considered my distant past (graduated in 2007) then I have a bunch I can list from then

j. Self-perception of interview skills
I will be fine once I get use to the setting of the room. :p

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
It explains me and my goals very well

^^^^^
do you have yoru degree yet? your gpa is on the low side. the last two years gpa is critical because it most likely pertains to upper division courses and how you are currently doiong.

I have an AA just in general studies. Im about a year away from my BS in Chemistry

I see alot of people posting their stats, but only a few get responses.

I'll try anyways.

I am a bit far from actually entering a PHARMACY PROGRAM. I am trying to transfer to SFSU to obtain a chemistry degree to apply to a pharmacy program in SF or UOP.

However, I haven't attempted any science courses, and I am currently at a 2.5 GPA overall with about 17 W's on my transcript, BECAUSE i was put in a program in highschool where I could take college courses at the same time as high school, and I was just a kid, not knowledgeable of what I was doing.

But anyways. with these 17 W's and my overall 2.5 GPA, and hypothetically if I started uphill from this point, will I potentially have a good shot in the future?

I have a nephrologist who I can potentially shadow at the hospital in the city I live at, for Volunteer.

But basically I am just trying to transfer to SFSU to get the Chemistry Degree so I can be considered competitive at UCSF/USF/UOP, maybe Hawaii too.

Appreciate it, thanks.

I see alot of people posting their stats, but only a few get responses.

I'll try anyways.

I am a bit far from actually entering a PHARMACY PROGRAM. I am trying to transfer to SFSU to obtain a chemistry degree to apply to a pharmacy program in SF or UOP.

However, I haven't attempted any science courses, and I am currently at a 2.5 GPA overall with about 17 W's on my transcript, BECAUSE i was put in a program in highschool where I could take college courses at the same time as high school, and I was just a kid, not knowledgeable of what I was doing.

But anyways. with these 17 W's and my overall 2.5 GPA, and hypothetically if I started uphill from this point, will I potentially have a good shot in the future?

I have a nephrologist who I can potentially shadow at the hospital in the city I live at, for Volunteer.

But basically I am just trying to transfer to SFSU to get the Chemistry Degree so I can be considered competitive at UCSF/USF/UOP, maybe Hawaii too.

Appreciate it, thanks.

Well, I am SFSU graduate both from their chemistry and biology department and I worked for the school as well, so I can potentially answer any SFSU - related questions that you have. I majored in biochemistry, not in chemistry, but I am pretty familiar with their chemistry track, since it's nearly identical to the biochem pathway with few exceptions.

As for the shot, it's too early to speak at this point, you probably have to work for a few years and see where you stand and how you do in the science courses. 17 W's are going to be challenging to explain and you really need to focus on your studies to bring up your GPA as much as possible.

Major in Biochemistry at UCSD
a. Schools you are applying to: Touro, Howard, Mercer, CSU etc
b. Overall GPA: 2.9
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.52
d. GPA in last one or two school years:
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 83% June 09 (85 Verbal, 90 Biology, 73 Reading, 77 Quant, 64 Chem)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none (working in startup)
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS): 10/30/09 (They sent application out 12/14/09)

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 : Public speaking professor, Micriobiology professor, and supervisor at work
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: work 40 hour week, more hours if I need to do purification of antibodies

Last edited:
Major in Biochemistry at UCSD
a. Schools you are applying to: Touro, Howard, Mercer, CSU etc
b. Overall GPA: 2.9
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.52
d. GPA in last one or two school years:
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 83% June 09 (85 Verbal, 90 Biology, 73 Reading, 77 Quant, 64 Chem)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none (working in startup)
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS): 10/30/09 (they are still processing and haven't sent application out)

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 : Public speaking professor, Micriobiology professor, and supervisor at work
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: work 40 hour week, more hours if I need to do purification of antibodies

dude i got almost the exact same stats except im a pharm tech. take the PTCB, itll help ALOT. lol thats not saying much since im not in school yet but just trying give me 0.1 cents to u about being a tech.

Hey guys! Please help me out by judging my chance. Western is my favorite school that I am looking at. I'm worried that I won't get into pharmacy school and that I should change my major. I would appreciate your advice!

I'm in my second year at Penn State, 50 credits so far. I don't plan on getting my BS if I get into pharmacy school, only 3 years hopefully.

GPA: 3.5

PCATs: Haven't taken yet

EC: I volunteer at a food bank 2 hours a week and I am a member of a co-ed prefessional business fraternity. I was the secretary for my pledge class but I have no position now. I worked at a hotel my first year of college. I don't have pharm experience yet! I hope to become certified this year and work in a pharmacy in the summer.

Thanks for the help :love: let me know if I should change my major because I have to know by January. I loooove Western though and I really want to be a pharmacist.

Hi,

I have about a 3.2 science GPA and 3.5 blended GPA. I have a BS in Biochemistry (Genetics,Cell Bio, Physical Chem, Analytical Chem, Biochem, etc). I should be okay on references and have some volunteer (pharmacy shadow, other extracurriculars). I haven't worked as a tech or even in science industry.

Here's the problem, I have my PCAT scheduled for January 2010, and some other pre-reqs (such as speech/microbio I). Would an admissions committee even look at me with these deficiencies? Since I'm applying late, would there even be any openings for me? Should I just save the ~500-1000 of applying to several schools because everyone's been telling me Jan pcat aren't even considered.

Hi,

I have about a 3.2 science GPA and 3.5 blended GPA. I have a BS in Biochemistry (Genetics,Cell Bio, Physical Chem, Analytical Chem, Biochem, etc). I should be okay on references and have some volunteer (pharmacy shadow, other extracurriculars). I haven't worked as a tech or even in science industry.

Here's the problem, I have my PCAT scheduled for January 2010, and some other pre-reqs (such as speech/microbio I). Would an admissions committee even look at me with these deficiencies? Since I'm applying late, would there even be any openings for me? Should I just save the ~500-1000 of applying to several schools because everyone's been telling me Jan pcat aren't even considered.

If you have checked with the schools and they accept your January PCAT, you still have a chance, even though they'll be looking at only one PCAT score. As long as you'll be done with the pre-requisites by the end of the spring semester of the first summer term, you can still get in.

Hi,

You should apply NOW. I applied on Jan 09 and took the pcat on Jan 09 took my speech class Jan 09 to May 09, and still got accepted into two schools! You still have a chance! good luck!

Thanks for replies

Did a little of research, should still be able to apply to 14 schools this year, I should have just done this months ago instead of listen to EVERY PERSON I ASKED ABOUT IT, Jackasses!

Will try to close thread

As long as the deadline has not passed and you can get the pre-reqs done by the time required (the end of spring or the end of summer) then go for it.

Thanks for replies

Did a little of research, should still be able to apply to 14 schools this year, I should have just done this months ago instead of listen to EVERY PERSON I ASKED ABOUT IT, Jackasses!

Will try to close thread

you should listen to your own decision. seems like you really wanted to apply. you didn't listen to the negs and jumped at the positives. if you wanted to apply you should've.

good luck! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_b5WHLX0

Figure I'll give this a go.

I'm in my junior year and will be finishing pre-reqs for all my schools by Spring 2010. I'm actually done with pre-reqs for my main pharmacy school (Rutgers) as of this semester. To start, I did quite poorly at the beginning of my college career; I took very heavy course loads and thought I could get by studying the night before (freshman folly). Anyway, that ended up with me getting a 2.5 my first semester. Since then, I've been pulling my grades up and by the end of Fall 09, I will be at around a 2.93-2.97. By end of Spring 2010, I hope to finally crest 3.0, and maybe be sitting at 3.1.

My PCAT composite was 74 as I recall (I seem to have misplaced my report somewhere :bang:).

Where my grades are not stellar, my work experience is. I've been working in pharmacies for over 6 years, and nearly 3 years now at my latest job at Walgreens where I am a CPhT. As for references, I got one from my orgo professor (where I got a B), one from a pharmacist I work with, and another from my pharmacy manager. Finally, my volunteer experience is about 160 hours working at a public library back in 2004.

I've applied to 8 PharmCAS schools and will be applying to Rutgers in February. Given all this and what I think is a pretty kickass personal statement, what do you gauge my chances are?

Last edited:
BS in Mathematics, 2007

a. Schools you are applying to: Mercer, Samford, PBU, NOVA, UGA, and a couple others that are escaping me
b. Overall GPA: 2.7
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.05
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.4
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 60%, retaking in January with more background from the classes I've just finished
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 years in retail, 2 years in hospital and 1 year in clinical trials
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS): 12/18/09

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4- 1 prof, 3 pharms
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: full-time job in an actuarial firm

I am a senior currently attending Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville (SIUE)

Cumulative GPA: 3.68 (PharmCAS says it is 3.5 though... this will probably go up with the newly finished semester transcript sent in)

Pre-pharmacy courses GPA: 3.65

Pre-pharmacy math/sci GPA: 3.47

GPA in last year: Spring'09=3.7 Fall'09=4.0

PCAT: 80th percentile

Pharmacy experience: Volunteer work in the pharmacy, 10+ shadowing hours

ECs: Volunteer at hospital (over 100 hours), chemistry research with my old organic professor, pre-pharmacy club

LORs: 1 from physics professor who I am pretty close with and 1 from volunteer coordinator/supervisor

Schools I'm applying to: SIUE, UIC

What are my chances?

This is my first post on SDN forums, I am a hopeful pre-pharmacy student that is really confused and does not know where to go from here. I just finished my first semester at the University of Georgia. Needless to say, it has been pretty tough. I got very ill 5 times throughout the semester due to the dormitory situations. Grades just came out, and I am devastated. I knew I had a rocky start, but I tried picking up my act fast. I am not sure what it is when I try to take test, I freeze up. Of course when I practice these problems in homework I do it with ease. I am planning on doing 2 years undergrad at University of Georgia and then hopefully being accepted into UGA's pharmacy school. However these recent grades may completely destroy any of my chances.

This past semester my grade outcomes were:
English I: B
English II:B
Spanish I: A
Speech Com: B :( I should have just taken public speaking not the studies of communicating
Gen Chem: C :(
Gen Chem Lab: C
Precalc: C

I am not really too sure what to do. I graduated from high school taking all kinds of honors and AP classes with a 3.777 GPA and now I am making C's left and right? But the point is, do I even have a chance or do I need to start choosing a new future? I know if I somehow manage to make all A's from here on out I can raise it up to 3.5 or 3.6... As many of you will say that seems highly unlikely from the grades I made in basic science courses. I was faced in this similar situation during my years in highschool. I made a D in Algebra II during my freshman year and ended up with a 3.222 at the end of 9th grade, but I managed to bring it up all the way up to a 3.777. It took me a while to adjust to college coursework, considering back in highschool I was able to easily make As on any tests without hardly studying for any of them. Talk about a blow to my ego... Any advices, tips, or concerns. Please help folks. Thank you.

I have a couple of Cs but I had many more As later.
and it was ok
I even have one F that I had to repeat. - and I got an A.
don't worry and just ace all chem classes later.
good luck! :laugh:

This should be in the WAMC thread. You need to not freak out. Your GPA is still fine. You have identified the problem of making C's. If you eliminate your frequency of being sick (since that what you blamed it on), then you should have no excuse to get better grades from now on right? On that note, keep your head up and dont despair. I have had quite a few C's on my transcripts, but I didnt let that bring me down. You will find this site has tons of encouragement so keep posting and reading, and absolutely do not give up. :thumbup:

College has kicked the ass of many BS'ers who, like myself, got through high school studying the night before. You've still got time to get your act together. Colleges look at improving trends anyway, so use this as a chance to improve.

I would just like a little insight as to what people think my chances are for getting into pharmacy school. I currently hold a bachelors and a master's degree in psychology. My GPA in my bachelor's is not too great...(mainly a C average)...but my GPA in graduate school is a 3.6. I've taken the following classes so far: Org Chem 1 and 2 (A in both) Biology 1 and 2 (A in both) Gen Chem 1 and 2 (C in both)
Statistics (A) Calculus (B)...and i plan on taking Microbiology and physics (physics over again because i got a C-). I am also a certified pharmacy technician and have been working in a Walgreens pharmacy as a tech for over a year now...I'm also a member of my schools pharmacy club.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I'm also taking the PCAT in January...

Thank you!!

Hey guys, this is my first post on here. I am really worried because I have had only Bs from Chem 1 to Org I, and just got a C in Org II. I don't know what to do at this point. What are my chances?

GPA: 3.50
PCAT Scores
86 Verbal
76 Biology
75 Reading Comprehension
50 Quantitative
91 Chemistry
83 Composite

Pharmacy Experience: Yes, I am a Pharmacy Tech
Volunteer: Yes, but not much

That C is the only one I have on my transcript. When I sent in my application, my GPA was 3.61. Am I in good shape? Should I give up? I don't know. My GPA is very low and I have a C.

Hey guys, this is my first post on here. I am really worried because I have had only Bs from Chem 1 to Org I, and just got a C in Org II. I don't know what to do at this point. What are my chances?

GPA: 3.50
PCAT Scores
86 Verbal
76 Biology
75 Reading Comprehension
50 Quantitative
91 Chemistry
83 Composite

Pharmacy Experience: Yes, I am a Pharmacy Tech
Volunteer: Yes, but not much

That C is the only one I have on my transcript. When I sent in my application, my GPA was 3.61. Am I in good shape? Should I give up? I don't know. My GPA is very low and I have a C.

You have experience, a solid PCAT, and a competitive GPA. What's up with these posts today?

Hi,
So I am very nervous about applying to school and have no idea what my chances may be. I have my Vet Tech Certification, but decided that wasn't for me. I enjoyed the pharmacy portion of it, so I decided a couple of years ago to go for a PharmD (YAY!). I worked my butt off, took the PCAT before doing upper level pre-reqs such as A&P and O-chem and got bad scores, but was still trying. I had ended up slowing things down and took the pharmacy tech program locally and got my certification earlier this month. Now I still have to do some internship hours before I can get a paying job, but here is where I am at and where I am headed:

a.Schools applying to: Colorado University, Regis, WY, KS, U of New Mex.
b. Overall GPA: 3.23 (will prob. Stay the same even though I have a few more pre-reqs to finish)
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.56 (but I have to retake Micro and Bio 1 bc they will be older than 7 yrs and should improve my math and science GPA to a 3.8)
d. GPA in last one or two school years: F09: 4.0, S09: 3.0, F08: 2.5 :eek:
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 35 and 47 (retaking either in Jan or June 2010)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 6 months as a vet tech helping do pharm calculations and drug dispensing and will hopefully have a few months as a pharm tech under my belt before July.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) I will apply in June or July for entering 2011
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Will get one from Director of Pharm tech school, pharmacist, and Organic prof.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: mainly childcare work (nanny) and Vet Tech work as well as admin. Not much volunteer work, if any.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think I fair well, but will practice to perfect them

I am super nervous and really want to get in for 2011. Any ideas on what my chances are, or advice? :confused:

Hi,
So I am very nervous about applying to school and have no idea what my chances may be. I have my Vet Tech Certification, but decided that wasn't for me. I enjoyed the pharmacy portion of it, so I decided a couple of years ago to go for a PharmD (YAY!). I worked my butt off, took the PCAT before doing upper level pre-reqs such as A&P and O-chem and got bad scores, but was still trying. I had ended up slowing things down and took the pharmacy tech program locally and got my certification earlier this month. Now I still have to do some internship hours before I can get a paying job, but here is where I am at and where I am headed:

a.Schools applying to: Colorado University, Regis, WY, KS, U of New Mex.
b. Overall GPA: 3.23 (will prob. Stay the same even though I have a few more pre-reqs to finish)
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.56 (but I have to retake Micro and Bio 1 bc they will be older than 7 yrs and should improve my math and science GPA to a 3.8)
d. GPA in last one or two school years: F09: 4.0, S09: 3.0, F08: 2.5 :eek:
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 35 and 47 (retaking either in Jan or June 2010)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 6 months as a vet tech helping do pharm calculations and drug dispensing and will hopefully have a few months as a pharm tech under my belt before July.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) I will apply in June or July for entering 2011
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Will get one from Director of Pharm tech school, pharmacist, and Organic prof.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: mainly childcare work (nanny) and Vet Tech work as well as admin. Not much volunteer work, if any.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think I fair well, but will practice to perfect them

I am super nervous and really want to get in for 2011. Any ideas on what my chances are, or advice? :confused:

About your LORs, my counselor told me that it is not a good idea to get letters from two similar sources (Pharmacist and Director of Pharm School and Org prof sound like similar sources imo). Your letters should be well rounded and each of them should offer a different viewpoint on who you are. My final letters were from a Pharmacist, a Counselor, and Volunteer Coordinator.

You have experience, a solid PCAT, and a competitive GPA. What's up with these posts today?
The reason I am so worried is because my GPA is so low compared to all my friends. They all have like 3.7s and 3.8s. And also, I really really did not want a C on my transcript especially since I have all Bs in Chemistry. Hopefully me having a 91% PCAT score in Chemistry shows them that I can retain material or something.

a. Schools you are applying to: *All in California* UOP, Touro, North State, UCSD, and a few other.

b. Overall GPA: 2.853
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.66
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 2.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Did not take
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: volunteering in hospital pharmacy
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Will submit summer 2010

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs *not sure what this is*
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
j. Self-perception of interview skills: okay, needs more work
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Have not done

Hello everyone,

I just found this forum online and found it to be very interesting. I wanted to know what can I do to improve my chances to get in to any pharmacy school in California. I will be graduating this May 2010 and will be doing my apps during the summer. I plan to retake some classes while I am in the waiting period in order to raise my science GPA. I was thinking about retaking Ochem, physics, and some biology classes. I will also be trying to get my pharmtech license so that I can do more at the hospital since the work I do there is very limited. As for leadership skill I have founded 2 clubs at UC Merced. I started the UCM tennis team and the UCM pre-pharmacy club.

Right now I don't really know how apply and everything will work out because my school advisor do not give me the info I need, and I am learning little by little as I go along. So any pass experience would be nice.

Another question is what if you don't get in and you graduate already? What can you do besides going back to school and getting a master?

Anyways thank you for any info that you may provide me. I will be doing a lot of reading on this forum during my winter break.

Dude I'm from ucmerced graduating in may of 2010 as well. I already applied. I'll be glad to help u out! PM me!

UCSF, USC (guaranteed)

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

3.7/3.8, I had an average GPA first semester of freshman year and have been pulling it up slowly :thumbup:

Composite: 99
For my subscores, all sciences were 99. Reading comprehension and another non-science section were 89.

Passed PTCE, CPhT in CA. I had trouble finding a tech job over the summer but ended up getting a volunteer position at a hospital (4 hrs/week for the past semester and continuing).

October

1 from professor/PI that I'm doing research with
1 from another PI that I did research with
1 from pharmacist at the hospital I'm volunteering at
1 from a supervisor/facilitator of a non-pharmacy internship

-National community service fraternity, 4 years. 1 year of leadership (I organized community service events)
-Pre-pharmacy club, 4 years. 0.5 years of leadership, but continuing in the spring
-National honors society, 2 years. 1 year of leadership
(I organized community service events)
-Another national honors society. Will be a founding member with a leadership position
-Many other honors societies that I didn't list on my apps
-Pre-health club, 1 year
-CALPIRG, 1 year (working on health care reform)

-Research internship designing new models of breast tumors for pharmaceutical treatment, 1 summer (in the process of getting published)
-Research analyzing marine microbial biodiversity, 2 years and continuing
-Internship with environmental organization on carbon footprint reduction, 1 semester and continuing

I get nervous. I tend to look upwards while thinking, but with practice I think I can fix it. Yeah, it's weird. :D Otherwise, I think I'm pretty good; I haven't been turned away from anything that I had to interview for.

I put a lot of effort into it. I was honest and tied together all of my various/scattered interests, so my PS gives an overall picture of who I am and why I want to be a pharmacist. I'm a bit worried about parts of it sounding a bit contrived/cheesy, but my supplemental should cast me in a more humble light (I had an earlier PharmCAS deadline sprung on me without prior notice by USC).

l. Miscellaneous
I am a Biology and Political Science double-major, and will be receiving two bachelors degrees in the spring.

I'm in TAP, which is why I'm guaranteed into USC.

On another note, is there any way to notify schools of more recent achievements? I was awarded a fellowship, found out I was going to be published, and will be founding a new organization...

Thanks! :love:

Hi,

If i have a GPA of about 3.2-3.4,

and I have 1 1/2 years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician

1 year of Undergrad research at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy

im gonna add a few hours of non-pharmacy volunteering...(100+ hours?)

which schools should i apply to, because of my low GPA...

I guess now it comes down to me doing really really well on my PCAT...so if i get 85 percentile...

what schools should i apply to?

would it be a good idea to apply to all the low rating schools?

edit: im gonna be applying my sophmore year..

UCSF, USC (guaranteed)

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

3.7/3.8, I had an average GPA first semester of freshman year and have been pulling it up slowly :thumbup:

Composite: 99
For my subscores, all sciences were 99. Reading comprehension and another non-science section were 89.

Passed PTCE, CPhT in CA. I had trouble finding a tech job over the summer but ended up getting a volunteer position at a hospital (4 hrs/week for the past semester and continuing).

October

1 from professor/PI that I'm doing research with
1 from another PI that I did research with
1 from pharmacist at the hospital I'm volunteering at
1 from a supervisor/facilitator of a non-pharmacy internship

-National community service fraternity, 4 years. 1 year of leadership (I organized community service events)
-Pre-pharmacy club, 4 years. 0.5 years of leadership, but continuing in the spring
-National honors society, 2 years. 1 year of leadership (I organized community service events)
-Another national honors society. Will be a founding member with a leadership position
-Many other honors societies that I didn't list on my apps
-Pre-health club, 1 year
-CALPIRG, 1 year (working on health care reform)

-Research internship designing new models of breast tumors for pharmaceutical treatment, 1 summer (in the process of getting published)
-Research analyzing marine microbial biodiversity, 2 years and continuing
-Internship with environmental organization on carbon footprint reduction, 1 semester and continuing

I get nervous. I tend to look upwards while thinking, but with practice I think I can fix it. Yeah, it's weird. :D Otherwise, I think I'm pretty good; I haven't been turned away from anything that I had to interview for.

I put a lot of effort into it. I was honest and tied together all of my various/scattered interests, so my PS gives an overall picture of who I am and why I want to be a pharmacist. I'm a bit worried about parts of it sounding a bit contrived/cheesy, but my supplemental should cast me in a more humble light (I had an earlier PharmCAS deadline sprung on me without prior notice by USC).

l. Miscellaneous
I am a Biology and Political Science double-major, and will be receiving two bachelors degrees in the spring.

I'm in TAP, which is why I'm guaranteed into USC.

On another note, is there any way to notify schools of more recent achievements? I was awarded a fellowship, found out I was going to be published, and will be founding a new organization...

Thanks! :love:

Looks like you are already scored an interview with UCSF, so congrats ! :)

You sound like a great well-rounded applicant both academically prepared and also with some amazing EC's under your belt, so you definitely have a great shot.

As for talking about recent achievements, definitely don't be shy and make sure to bring it up during the interview. I was a little hesistant to talk about mine during my interview, but then some people went as far as to actually bring things to the interview to show interviewers, so if you have something to account for your latest achievements, make sure to demonstrate them ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.