The Suit Thread (for women)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh! and what brand were those low rise hose that were mentioned in an earlier post? i went to target - and there were ROWS of hose (hehe); it was intimidating!!!
(links would be appreciated:))
and what color goes with a grey pinstripe suit? (medium-dark grey with very fine cream colored pinstripes)

They are Hanes. At my Target they only carry Hanes and Leggs now, and all the Hanes are low rise with no waist band (there are still ones with more control or no control, but they are all low rise). I would wear nude hose with a gray suit but then again, I rarely wear hose and when I do I only wear nude. HTH.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just make sure that the heel on the boots aren't too high, I would also probably avoid a super-pointy toe. Very stylish, but potentially very distracting. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

example of too high and too pointy:

00078499.jpg

Agreed. :laugh: You don't want the PD to remember you as the "pretty woman" of your interview cohort.

As for the poster who attached all the Nine West links-- those shoes and boots are cute, very appropriate I think.

Hi all,

I saw this red bag in the store and fell in love with it. I'm wearing a brown wool suit with a subtle cream pinstripe with matching brown leather heels. I've tried finding a brown bag but its practically impossible to match the shoes / bag... plus i just haven't liked any of the bags that much.

So, fashionistas, help me... (by the way I have been lurking on this thread for awhile but never posted, I love it!). Can I make the red bag work??? I was thinking it may be ok if I have a cream colored top keeping the outfit fairly conservative but bringing a bit of color into it with my bag. Or should I wear a bright red shirt ;)
176604_AE06_M1_XWN

31934_med.jpg

Thanks ladies!

i'm rotating at my top choice now and i'm getting to see and meet all the interviewees... all the girls so far are all plain plain plain - meaning plain black skirt suits and boring (like white/cream) shirts. i thought i would be fine with my pinstriped pants suit with a pink shirt, but now i'm beginning to wonder. it's definitely not a stuck-up place, and it's peds, so i would think they would want to see someone in something not so plain. and i happen to like (and feel confident) in my outfit. :D

what do you think? :confused:

i'm rotating at my top choice now and i'm getting to see and meet all the interviewees... all the girls so far are all plain plain plain - meaning plain black skirt suits and boring (like white/cream) shirts. i thought i would be fine with my pinstriped pants suit with a pink shirt, but now i'm beginning to wonder. it's definitely not a stuck-up place, and it's peds, so i would think they would want to see someone in something not so plain. and i happen to like (and feel confident) in my outfit. :D

I don't know...on Family, I'm seeing brown suits, pinstripes (lots of pinstripes), black suits with bright colored blouses. I've only seen a couple black/white snoozers... :sleep:

Don't be freaked out by what you are seeing others in. Unless you have a beige or purple suit (I did hear a comment from a faculty member who was still talking about someone who had worn a beige suit several YEARS ago! Didn't go over well with the older faculty), you will be fine.

I think your outfit sounds fine. Now that I have been on a few interviews I can tell you I am pleasantly surprised at the variety I have been seeing. Honestly, I have only seen maybe 3 women wearing a plain black suit and I have seen zero skirt suits (mine is pants and I was initially a little concerned after several people had said women should wear skirts). I too have seen lots of pin stripes, even (gasp!) colored pinstripes, and even a tweed or two. This is def. a welcome change from med school interviews when I think literally every interviewee, male or female, wore black.

Just to add in one more voice, I have seen all different suits and very few black ones. The girls wearing black suits that I have seen have been wearing colored shirts. I think you outfit will be just fine. Getting away from plain is a definite plus.

It's funny, you used to stand out in a pant suit, now you stand out in a skirt suit! I wear a very well-tailored black skirt suit with a pink silk blouse, and I never see anyone dressed like me on interviews.

I think the skirt suit is really striking when done well. Slightly higher heels make it even more so--mine are 3 inches.

With three ob/gyn interviews under my belt now - I've seen mainly black pinstriped suits, some with colored shirts - like pink, most with white or cream. Some plain black suits, couple of navy suits. I don't think a pink shirt would be a problem. Mostly pantsuits, a few skirts. I haven't gotten brave enough to wear my plum suit though - it's pretty, but I feel like I'd really stick out.

Every applicant I have seen so far has worn boring black suits with cream blouses. I have a black and white tweed skirt suit and have had nothing but compliments. I think it is great to stand out but still be classically attired.

Are you guys talking about med school interviews.. or something else interviews. Are there really interviews after med school =\

Are you guys talking about med school interviews.. or something else interviews. Are there really interviews after med school =\

We are talking about residency interviews. After med school, the vast majority of people do a residency, this is how you are trained in a specific field and this is required if you want to practice medicine (I realize there may be a few exceptions, that is discussed on several other threads so let's not bring that up here). Then after residency there will be more interviews for either fellowships or jobs. And then if you ever want to switch jobs, yes, more interviewing. So yes, there are lots of interviews after med school.

Here's are 2 suit questions for men:

1) are 2 button jackets are no-no?

2) what about slip-on shoes (no laces)

-peace:)

We are talking about residency interviews. After med school, the vast majority of people do a residency, this is how you are trained in a specific field and this is required if you want to practice medicine (I realize there may be a few exceptions, that is discussed on several other threads so let's not bring that up here). Then after residency there will be more interviews for either fellowships or jobs. And then if you ever want to switch jobs, yes, more interviewing. So yes, there are lots of interviews after med school.

Crap.