The Suit Thread (for women)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BIG fan of heels. I'm not going diva (I have those...you know, the croco, pointy, four inchers) obviously, but I'm just plain short and live in denial about it, cheating with heels. It depends, though. Of course there's nothing wrong with people going the opposite way with comfy flats---I think it's a personal taste thing and a question of who actually like the sacrifice of a little pain at the end of the day. That would be me. Better add some aleve to my new cute bag. Actually, I went for Furla because it's nice without being a flashy name IMHO (Prada, etc) and their bags are all a simple design (---didn't want a lot of hardware). Good luck hunting, everybody. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Pedialyte, I love Furla and agree with you completely. Any secrets as to where you got your steal???? ;)

I am wearing a black suit, blue or gray shirt underneath, black shoes (kittenheals--I just learned what those are!), nude hose.
I have a light brown with dark brown trim leather briefcase. I like it. How big a no-no is it to have a bag that does not match the suit?
Thanks for your help!

Ultra7,
Let me first say that I am a big ol' snob when it comes to fashion, and I would personally not carry a brown bag with a black or gray suit.

That being said, if a program loses interest in you because you aren't perfectly color coordinated, their priorities are clearly in the wrong place. I can't imagine it would ever enter into their consideration of you as an applicant, so if you feel comfortable with it and don't feel like spending $$$ for another bag then you go for it. Just my opinion!

Hey Ultra7, good job with the kitten heels! I also wear mine with jeans. For interviews, I'll be 2-inching it, due to my firmly-rooted Napolean complex. I completely agree with Superspec on both points: go with what makes you happy.

Superspec-
As for your question about the secret deal on Furla....
I decided if I could find a good deal on a Furla or Longchamp (because I love them both), then I'd go for it--mostly because I absolutely love their bags (and it will cheer me up while interviewing) and because I think most faculty aren't really going to know the brands. I found LOTS of options on ebay for both. Essentially, there are new bags in those two categories added every other day or so. Ebay lets you "watch" multiple items at the same time, and if something I bidded on got too pricey, I just moved down my list, adding new stuff to my watch list, periodically. You can also email the sellers and ask the dimensions (to fit interview papers, etc). My bag arrived exactly in the condition it was promised, and I absolutely love it. That's (was) my secret! Hope that helps.

For someone with longer hair, one inch past the shoulders...is it appropriate to wear my hair down...I just feel that it is a bit unprofessional? What are everyone's thought's on wearing it back in a ponytail with a clip? I like to keep my hair pulled back...but I also don't want to look like a little girl with a ponytail?

Anyone have any advice?

Ok, let's get super picky and detailed here. I have a beautiful navy blue Anne Klein suit with very faint light green pinstripes... and I have a question about pant length, since you all seem to be fashion divas here. ;) I had been under the impression that the bottom of the pant should be straight at the bottom -- but my roommate informed me that the recent trend is to have one "bend" at the bottom. You know, with the pant length just that extra 1/2 inch longer so it ever so slightly bends. Currently, my pant length is just that -- slightly longer with 1 slight bend at the bottom. Is this ok??? Or should I cut it tailored for that measly 1/2 inch so its straight down? I'm ok with getting it tailored, but I am slightly worried that it would be such a small adjustment that they would screw it up. :(

Also, I just got these adorable navy Bandolino shoes -- but now you all have me scared about navy on navy. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/7623253/c/492.html

I was originally thinking of getting them in Bronze, but thought that would be too risque. Could also go Natural Leather: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/7623253/c/478.html
(just click on this link and change the choice to Bronze to see it)

Thoughts on Pant Length and Shoe Color for me? :) It's just Zappos, I guess I could just return my Navy. :p

Gosprout24,
Lyte happens to be extremely short and has been having things tailored since she was 8, so she is an expert on the pant length issue. (Her mom also made her buy her first suit when she was 15...so weird!) You should have a small break at the bottom of your pants...1/2 inch sounds fine. We also really like your shoes and think you should go with the navy. This is not royal blue plus purple, this is navy plus navy, right? Given your suit description, we think the navy shoes would look more formal and tailored. Sorry for the rant, but Nip/Tuck is over, so what else are we supposed to be doing?!?!:D

P.S. We love bronze shoes in general, and we think you should buy them anyway and wear them with jeans! :)

Gosprout24,

I have always been taught that the classiest way to wear a pair of slacks is to have them tailored so that there is a slight break; when you walk, the backs of the pants legs should slightly cover the heel of your shoe. They should not drag on the ground, nor should they be straight and break at such a point that basically they allow you to see too much air between the ground and the hem of your pants.

As for the person who was questioning hair down when it is about 1 inch past her shoulders yet was hesitant for a ponytail, one of my favorite ways to wear my hair is to tease it a little at the crown, make a side part, and pull it into a very low ponytail at the nape of your neck. Then, take another elastic and pull that ponytail halfway through it and kind of twist it around so that it looks messy and with lots of little pieces doing whatever. Use some bobby pins and bring the pieces under control. At the end, you get a very sleek yet modern result.

I would LOVE for some of the sexist old men surgeons at my university to see this thread...I think they might have a MI.

There is great discussion about bags, but what do we put in the bag? I decided to start a list, but please add to it!
1) Copies of CV
2) Copies of Research paper
3) Planner
4) Tic-tacs
5) Pens
6) extra pantyhose
7) clear fingernail polish (for annoying panty hose snags)
8) Calling cards (I have these little calling cards that are like business cards, but are great for giving to people you meet along the interview trail, instead of writing your info over and over)
9) Notepad

What else? I'm scared I'll get to the interview and forget something important!:scared:

DENTAL FLOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are served a lunch that has black pepper, you could be screwed otherwise.

And just to further disgust any men on here, I always think it is a smart thing to carry a tampon or two. As we all know, stress can DEFINITELY disrupt the ol menstrual cycle and you would hate to be caught unprepared. Plus, if some other girl needs one you will be her hero.

I just ordered this great leather tote bag from ebags: http://www.ebags.com/liz_claiborne_...o_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=81270

I got it in taupe bc I thought it would go with my navy suit better, but I love the brandywine one too.

AND, it was super cheap. $49.99. Plus, if you buy it through their "google buy" link, it takes another $10 off! YES!

Um, maybe I should study for Step 2 now? It's in 2 days. :p

oo i love that brandywine color! i already have a bag...but still, that's so cute!

Very cute bag!

i have a charcoal grey suit. what color options do i have aside from a white shirt?

i have a charcoal grey suit. what color options do i have aside from a white shirt?

I wore a charcoal gray suit when I interviewed for med school and I wore a deep plum button down under it....it looked great.

GoSprout-
that is the bag i have... i have it in black, got it at marshall's or a store like that for maybe $35? i love it... it has nice functional pockets and it is well made, goes with everything, and i will probably use it for my interviews as well. good choice :D

light green, light blue, cream, grey, pink. . . virtually anything will look nice with it

jd star -- i just noticed that we both have Anne Klein pinstripe suits AND the same bag! separated at birth! :laugh:

I now log onto SDN solely for this thread. I have a charcoal gray suit from the Limited (still searching for a blouse to wear under it) to wear with black pumps. I bought two bags at burlington coat factory (no shame!) - one is a standard leather bag with comfy straps, not too many obnoxious buckles and bows on the outside. The other is a shiny black, faux snakeskin but not really type print (I don't know what to call it) which is very cute. I don't have a picture but the material is similar looking to GoSprout's purse, to which she posted a link and is below. :) What do we think about this type of material for a purse being acceptable vs. standard black leather? Also, what's everyone doing for jewelry? I will probably wear my standard diamond studs that I wear everyday - would a necklace also be too much?

I just ordered this great leather tote bag from ebags: http://www.ebags.com/liz_claiborne_...o_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=81270

I got it in taupe bc I thought it would go with my navy suit better, but I love the brandywine one too.

AND, it was super cheap. $49.99. Plus, if you buy it through their "google buy" link, it takes another $10 off! YES!

Um, maybe I should study for Step 2 now? It's in 2 days. :p

Rachana -- Girl, I say go for the phat purse. (Is it monotone or multicolor? I think as long as it's one solid color, the texture of it doesn't matter -- but black and gold snake stripes might be a bit much. ;) ) And go for a necklace, if you want. Seriously, while we love to overanalyze this, I think as long as we look classy and clean, nobody is going to say a word. Let's just leave the fishnet at home. :)

So, ladies...

I am amazed at this thread. It must appear kind of trivial, I'm sure, to the outside observer, but I think it's great to have a sort of girl's room thing going on on SDN. It's great to have a place to support one another and share information, because even though we have come a long way, medicine is in many ways still a boy's club, and I think we do have to work harder (and apparently look better!) to prove ourselves in medicine.

I'm a newly minted Advisor, and have a bit more pull now, so I was wondering what you all would think about a Women in Medicine forum on SDN? Do you think it's something that would benefit the SDN community? Would you support it?

Lemme know!

Also, what's everyone doing for jewelry? I will probably wear my standard diamond studs that I wear everyday - would a necklace also be too much?

I'm going with a freshwater pearl necklace. It's not fancy, but it makes me feel a little more put-together, and I think it helps soften the look.

After all my ranting about black suits, I've got one myself now--a skirt suit. I'm wearing a pink blouse with softer lines and collar than your typical suit shirt.

Taking my little ensemble on it's maiden voyage tomorrow on my first interview~wish me luck!

:)

Good luck SJ :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I like the idea of a women in medicine forum, and congrats on the advisor role.

As to the necklaces - my mother in law is making one to go with each of my suits. It's hard to find something to go with a deep plum! I'm definately wearing one, but I don't have pierced ears, so it's really my only jewelry other than wedding rings/watch.

SJ- I'll be interviewing your way on Nov4th - will you be on an Ob rot around then?

To the poster above who was wondering about heel height...I HAVE to wear 3 inch heels, even with a petite suit. I feel much more comfortable in high heels and think if you are comfortable and can walk appropriately in them, go for it! I am not saying to wear crazy skinny heels, but a nice, conservative 3 inch heel is fine in my opinion. Hope this helps!

It seems that everyone who has been commenting on heels has been on the short side, so I thought I would throw in a tall girl's point on view. I am 5'9" and I have no problem rocking 4 inches of heel when I am going out. I'm toning it down a little for interviews and wearing 2 inch heels. However, I see no problem with wearing higher heels as long as you are able to walk in them for a day, especially if they give you a sense of strength and confidence!

P.S. Sophiejane, based on the response rate of this thread, I think a women in medicine forum would go over quite well!

GoSprout--i loved that bag as well, but thought it lucked a bit on the huge side on the on-line model. did it seem alright to you?

FYI, i'll be sporting brown textured tights under my tweed suit pants or skirt (depending on my mood). they are way too cute to stick in a drawer during interview season.

Any thoughts on sling backs vs. pumps? Although I thought sling backs were a little inappropriate...they are way more comfortable.....

this thread is amazing. i would love a women in medicine forum.

one of my friends is interviewing ENT (read: very conservative attire) and she said its acceptable for either the back or front to be open on the shoe, but not both... and since with the proper length of pants the backs of your shoes will only be visible when you are sitting, it would be okay to wear slingbacks.

Okay - dumb question from the Texas girl... what if it's snowing when I go to some of these interviews? What sort of stuff do I need? The only time I've seen snow on the ground was on vacation so I obviously wasn't trying to dress up in it. Thanks!

I was going to wear sling backs with a skirt...still ok?

one of my friends is interviewing ENT (read: very conservative attire) and she said its acceptable for either the back or front to be open on the shoe, but not both... and since with the proper length of pants the backs of your shoes will only be visible when you are sitting, it would be okay to wear slingbacks.

Okay - dumb question from the Texas girl... what if it's snowing when I go to some of these interviews? What sort of stuff do I need? The only time I've seen snow on the ground was on vacation so I obviously wasn't trying to dress up in it. Thanks!

Just dont forget to dress warmly! nice coat/scarf/hat/gloves/etc.
i have a couple coats that look like this:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=205160&CategoryID=6403

when i interviewed for med school you cant imagine how stupid people looked in their columbia or north face jackets. after this 5 page thread being so detailed about jewelry/hose/bags/heels/etc, dont ruin the whole look with a stupid ski jacket!! (sorry, pet peeve of mine)

and i plan on carrying extra hose in my bag, walking in snow in pumps is probably going to result in wet feet...

if you're not used to the cold, i'd def go with a hat to keep warm... and bring a hairbrush in the bag:) that's probably what i will do, even though I am used to the cold. hats are the best:)

check out this link:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/index...1*96*-1*-1&kw=Cold Weather&LinkType=EverGreen

the earmuffs are cute:)

okee, good luck!:)

I was going to wear sling backs with a skirt...still ok?
slingbacks are ok. they are a little on the "edgy" side- not the traditional black heels. but go for it, i say! especially if they are cute. are you interviewing any place where it snows? you may want a closed heel for that.

gunit07--I like the black wool coats, too!

I have one, but it is a bit shorter than the one pictured. I think it is just a tiny bit shorter than my knee-length suit skirt, but pretty close to the same length. So you made me think of another question for you fashionistas out there...

Is the jacket supposed to be longer than or shorter than the skirt, or doesn't matter?

BTW, I can't believe some of you can wear FOUR INCH HEELS! I am impressed. I feel too wobbly in 2 inch.

Thanks so much. Just for clarification - you wear the wool coat over the suit jacket, or take off the suit jacket and replace it with the coat when going outside? Sorry if it's silly, but in San Antonio - I usually just put on a scarf with whatever I'm wearing and it keeps me warm enough.

Just dont forget to dress warmly! nice coat/scarf/hat/gloves/etc.
i have a couple coats that look like this:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=205160&CategoryID=6403

when i interviewed for med school you cant imagine how stupid people looked in their columbia or north face jackets. after this 5 page thread being so detailed about jewelry/hose/bags/heels/etc, dont ruin the whole look with a stupid ski jacket!! (sorry, pet peeve of mine)

and i plan on carrying extra hose in my bag, walking in snow in pumps is probably going to result in wet feet...

if you're not used to the cold, i'd def go with a hat to keep warm... and bring a hairbrush in the bag:) that's probably what i will do, even though I am used to the cold. hats are the best:)

check out this link:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/index...1*96*-1*-1&kw=Cold Weather&LinkType=EverGreen

the earmuffs are cute:)

okee, good luck!:)

Just remember that if you get snowed on, once you are indoors and it starts to melt, you basically got rained on. Unless you are sure there is a bathroom nearby, have something in your bag to dry your face, glasses, shoes, bag, etc. If you dab your hair lightly upon entering, then the snow won't melt on your hair and make it all wet and frizzy.

If you want to be cheap (and I know nothing about fashion so if this is wrong tell me!), you could wear one of those wool p-coats with a hat/gloves/scarf set. This is what I am planning on doing (unless further commentary makes me realize that I will look like an idiot!)

Also - if you are driving, you need a snowbrush/scraper in your car. Don't be caught doing this with your hands the morning of your interview! Not all rental car places put one in the car.

Y'all are awesome help. I definately don't want to look like I can't handle it - some of my top choices are places where snow is common. I was told by one of our faculty that one of his buddies in arizona has said they've never matched anyone from certain states because on the tour, they constantly complain about how hot it is... in NOVEMBER/DECEMBER!

10% off jcrew if you are a student! i had no idea! all you have to do is flash you med school ID. I am not sure how it works with online or catalog, but its worth checking into.

i was going to buy a suit and while $330 is a tough pill to swallow, this is . . .well. .. almost. .kind of.. . like. . a justification. maybe. and the cashmere shells are beautiful, a nice fabric in contrast to the suit.

gunit07--I like the black wool coats, too!

I have one, but it is a bit shorter than the one pictured. I think it is just a tiny bit shorter than my knee-length suit skirt, but pretty close to the same length. So you made me think of another question for you fashionistas out there...

Is the jacket supposed to be longer than or shorter than the skirt, or doesn't matter?

BTW, I can't believe some of you can wear FOUR INCH HEELS! I am impressed. I feel too wobbly in 2 inch.

i actually was wondering this myself, becuase i wore pants a lot when i interviewed for med school. but i asked my sister, who's super chic, and she said that it's ok if it's longer than the skirt.

also, i made sure the coat fit over my suit jacket too... that's what we do here in the arctic tundra at least ;)

Well, just a little update on my suit's maiden voyage...

Ditched the pearls per hubby's advice. Just wore pearl drop earrings and that was enough. Shoes were 2.5 inch heels--and I'm 5'8". Didn't feel awkward at all, and the lower heels I brought just in case just looked dowdy and lame. Although my feet hurt a bit after the hospital tour, I spent the rest of the day sitting down, so it wasn't bad.

I did have to sit on a low couch in one of the faculty members' office, which was slightly awkward in my skirt, but fortunately she was female and I only had to adjust my position once to do a stealth pull-down of the skirt! ;)

Got my hair cut the day before the interview--gutsy, I know--but it was my old tried and true hairdresser and he did an awesome job. No pull-backs or chignons for me--it's a layered bob. Skirts the edge of trendy, but still looked pulled together and professional, I think.

Anyway, it's family medicine for me, and we tend to be a bit more laid back.

Best of luck on the trail, girls! Watch for the new forum--I will lobby for it!

http://www.anntaylor.com/IWCatProdu...Flow=t&Section_Id=8827&Product_Id=841965#null

Please I want to hear your thoughts. I was aiming for gray but ended up with this. Yes, I was at the store but it seemed that at the end my choice was between this and a black suit. I thought that since I will be shelling out that much, might as well go with the nicer fabric and less generic look. But did I go too far? Help...

There is great discussion about bags, but what do we put in the bag? I decided to start a list, but please add to it!
1) Copies of CV
2) Copies of Research paper
3) Planner
4) Tic-tacs
5) Pens
6) extra pantyhose
7) clear fingernail polish (for annoying panty hose snags)
8) Calling cards (I have these little calling cards that are like business cards, but are great for giving to people you meet along the interview trail, instead of writing your info over and over)
9) Notepad

What else? I'm scared I'll get to the interview and forget something important!:scared:
Just in case, I would pack a tiny umbrella in your suitcase, and if there is bad weather you can always bring it with you in your bag. I saw interviewees at my school today, walking from one hospital to another, caught in a sudden downpour. Most of them didn't have umbrellas and were getting soaked!

http://www.anntaylor.com/IWCatProdu...Flow=t&Section_Id=8827&Product_Id=841965#null

Please I want to hear your thoughts. I was aiming for gray but ended up with this. Yes, I was at the store but it seemed that at the end my choice was between this and a black suit. I thought that since I will be shelling out that much, might as well go with the nicer fabric and less generic look. But did I go too far? Help...

This is a perfectly appropriate suit. I wish I'd seen it on the AT website...it wasn't there a few weeks ago--the suits all had these flounces and bows and were not really appropriate.

It will look great!

Thanks so much. Just for clarification - you wear the wool coat over the suit jacket, or take off the suit jacket and replace it with the coat when going outside? Sorry if it's silly, but in San Antonio - I usually just put on a scarf with whatever I'm wearing and it keeps me warm enough.

coat on top of the suit jacket. so get it a little bigger than you would otherwise. otherwise, you would have to carry around a garment bag with your suit jacket in it, in the middle of the snowstorm. just wear it underneath.

another cold weather comment- don't forget gloves and a scarf!

i actually was wondering this myself, becuase i wore pants a lot when i interviewed for med school. but i asked my sister, who's super chic, and she said that it's ok if it's longer than the skirt.

also, i made sure the coat fit over my suit jacket too... that's what we do here in the arctic tundra at least ;)

Actually, I've always heard that your coat should be longer than your skirt, and if it's shorter I think technically it should be at least 3-4 inches shorter. Basically you don't want just a little bit peeking out. However, that said, I would never be this anal and I doubt most other people would either and probably nobody would notice or care one way or another.