SOAP 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My daughter did not match, she did not got any offer in soap either. She was going for psych and got 10 interviews. Her red flags are repeat and 212 on step 1&2. Although she cleared in first attempt including CS. What should she do? Should she ask for 5th year or graduate and do research. She will be applying for internal and fm next year. Does Prelim Surgery helps more than research just in case she gets it. She is in MD program and AMG.

I am shocked that Psych has gotten so competitive. What gives?

Members don't see this ad.

I am shocked that Psych has gotten so competitive. What gives?
Her program also did not tell her that she should apply for fm or less competitive field. What should she do? This is a nightmare, already she has taken loan for five year.

Reactions: 1 user
Her program also did not tell her that she should apply for fm or less competitive field. What should she do? This is a nightmare, already she has taken loan for five year.

It's hard to know without knowing her full profile. 10 interviews seems like enough, so it would be needed to look at what her whole profile is. I don't know if having another year is really that helpful.

It's hard to know without knowing her full profile. 10 interviews seems like enough, so it would be needed to look at what her whole profile is. I don't know if having another year is really that helpful.
Thanks for responding. She had very strong LOR, one international research project.

Hey guys. This is going to be long but hopefully it makes someone who did not match or soap this year feel better. I did not match last year. My husband is 2 years ahead of me and was a resident in a city in Florida. I was limited by geographic location so i only interviewed at 3 places and ranked all 3. I rotated at 2 of them and had a great feeling about matching. We also had a baby and i did not want our baby to be away from her father. That Monday was one of the worst of my life. My entire medical career had been for nothing, or so i thought. There was only one pre-lim spot for soap left in the city in his hospital. I did not get a call during soap and they filled the position. I was devastated. That was my last chance to stay. The week after i was offered a position in south florida which is where we are from but 5 hours away from my husband. I thought about it for a very long time but i knew i couldn't take it.

After graduation i emailed every single residency here telling me that i was available to start July 1st if anyone couldn't start for whatever reason. I applied to many random jobs but no one called. I was overqualified for so many things but under qualified to be a physician. I also went through the academic hospitals in the area and looked at all the research projects. I emailed about 300 people or so. I knew i couldn't give up and do nothing for an entire year. Most emails went unanswered, the ones i got back mostly said sorry that there was nothing available, but i did get 3 interviews in renowned hospitals. I took an unpaid research position and thankfully my husband was very supportive.

I have had a few published papers and a few poster presentations. I did 11 interviews including residencies not in this city. This year i got an email on Monday saying that i did match. Today Friday i got an email that i matched into my number 1 position in this city and in the number 1 hospital in the U.S. last year i was not given an interview in this hospital. I still can't believe it, I get to keep my family together, do my specialty of choice (neurology) and in an incredible place.

For those of you who feel torn, broken, devastated, know that it gets better. After you wallow, and cry , and question everything pick yourself up and look forward. Think of what is next. How can you improve yourself and how can you become a better candidate for next year. This is not the end. Although it doesn't feel like it now, you will get through it. You've gone through so much schooling already, one little bump on the road won't stop you. Good luck and keep your head up high.

Reactions: 12 users
Finally got a hold of someone at the program with 3 neuro spots. I was told that they have been filled. Wish they’d take the listing down then!

Jobs for International Medical Graduate (IMG/FMG)/US Medical Graduate

I am posting this in hopes that perhaps it can help some of you who are looking into what to do this year for those of you maybe who will apply next year.

Moderators, if in any way this violates policy, my apologies, please remove. I'm just trying to be helpful and came across this and thought it might be useful to some people here.

Might want to google Prem Reddy before answering a craigslist ad from Prime

Reactions: 1 users
Went to my school yesterday and it looks like they have a few people in my situation and 4th years who did not match.

Going to chase a connect on a prelim that hopefully doesn't fill up. They "say" they will continue to call for me as well. Otherwise going to have to pump out papers, take COMLEX 3 ( negotiated with school to get sponsored).

If I cant get a spot before June, I will drop applying to IM/FM programs that are out of my league and apply to the absolutely least competitive ones.Then focus on connects in other fields/FM as well.

Is FMG a good way to get externships for hands on ? Does anyone know about a good resource to find a good place?
I did not matched this year and I want to improve my application for september fast.

Thanks for responding. She had very strong LOR, one international research project.

With her CV might have a chance in some low tier programs, and these programs don'e really care about research. you only look for an applicant who can serve as a safe doctor.
She should also consider non-clinical pathways, maybe doing a PhD

With her CV might have a chance in some low tier programs, and these programs don'e really care about research. you only look for an applicant who can serve as a safe doctor.
A phd would would be a terrible choice. not only is it years of wasted time, but there is no guarantee and takes you away from clinical time.

What would be some low tier program. Thanks.

Is there a way to see unfilled positions if you weren't in the match... anyone? anyone?

Is it worth going to a surgery prelim if my interests are IM/FM before I reapply next year?

Is it worth going to a surgery prelim if my interests are IM/FM before I reapply next year?

What are your other options? If there’s an IM prelim spot you can get, that might be more relevant. But a surgery prelim year seems likely to be better than non-clinical options. We’ve matched an interested prelim or two to FM, and one to IM a year or two ago.

What are your other options? If there’s an IM prelim spot you can get, that might be more relevant. But a surgery prelim year seems likely to be better than non-clinical options. We’ve matched an interested prelim or two to FM, and one to IM a year or two ago.

As of right now, I'm trying to use connections to get one of the open surgery or medicine preliminary spots. There doesn't seem to be many open preliminary spots and some of them advertised are already filled. It will be constant calling/emailing TRI's and other places and hope someone drops out of residency for the next 2 months.

My other options are to continue doing the research that I do with the institution I am at now(get some papers published ASAP), get the school to sponsor me to take Comlex Level 3(destroy it hopefully ) and get another job(dont know what yet) to stay clinically relevant.

Ideally I would want to snag a categorical position but that seems incredibly unlikely, just painful that some who started med school after me have already matched and have pushed ahead of me :oops:

As of right now, I'm trying to use connections to get one of the open surgery or medicine preliminary spots. There doesn't seem to be many open preliminary spots and some of them advertised are already filled. It will be constant calling/emailing TRI's and other places and hope someone drops out of residency for the next 2 months.

My other options are to continue doing the research that I do with the institution I am at now(get some papers published ASAP), get the school to sponsor me to take Comlex Level 3(destroy it hopefully ) and get another job(dont know what yet) to stay clinically relevant.

Ideally I would want to snag a categorical position but that seems incredibly unlikely, just painful that some who started med school after me have already matched and have pushed ahead of me :oops:

Hey man, really saddens me to hear stories like yours. Keep your head up, continue grinding, get into a prelim spot in ANYTHING. Once youre in, impress the powers that be, and you may slide right into a second year spot at the same institution or have a good chance at matching another place.

Do you have family nearby? You need a support system. Are you already graduated or are you pending graduation?

Can you talk to your school?

Yeah I went to the school on Match Day and they still had some staff there. Talked about what I can do..they said they will contact programs and sell my credentials to them and try to secure a position as well.

Unfortunately, this week the school is on spring break and probably won't respond to emails/calls

Yeah I went to the school on Match Day and they still had some staff there. Talked about what I can do..they said they will contact programs and sell my credentials to them and try to secure a position as well.

Unfortunately, this week the school is on spring break and probably won't respond to emails/calls

I am so sorry man. Can you apply to more place next time? like most progarms in the nation that are fm/im, etc? i would be shocked if you can't find anything. has anyone looked at your letters, statement, etc?

maybe you need some coaching.

I am so sorry man. Can you apply to more place next time? like most progarms in the nation that are fm/im, etc? i would be shocked if you can't find anything. has anyone looked at your letters, statement, etc?

maybe you need some coaching.

I applied to a lot and didnt get that many interviews. I guesd the logical progression is I apply to only community programs next year. I was even told at the interview with the best of programs I interviewed at my letters were strong.

I can also try to prematch into programs if thats still legal by next year. I have a few doctors in the family that promised me they would follow leads on a place that opens up a spot.

No one has looked at my statement but it is pretty generic and not "out there".

Hey guys,

Hang in there. I went through the SOAP and didn't get a spot initially in 2015, but everything will be ok. Luckily I was able to get a spot at the next at the next match. PM if you have any questions about what to do next, because it feels like there is no guidance after you are outside the match process.

Hey guys,

Hang in there. I went through the SOAP and didn't get a spot initially in 2015, but everything will be ok. Luckily I was able to get a spot at the next at the next match. PM if you have any questions about what to do next, because it feels like there is no guidance after you are outside the match process.
What did you do after you didn't match?
I didn't get it...did you match the following year in the match or the SOAP?

What did you do after you didn't match?
I didn't get it...did you match the following year in the match or the SOAP?
There seems to be a typo—correct me if I'm wrong—I believe he says he matched the following match cycle.

Just wondering, how do you guys email your letter of recommendations and MSPE to programs? I don't have access to my letters or MSPE.

From my limited understanding, it should already be finished in the original application, back in September. They just download the application to review it from ERAS again, during the SOAP process.

Just wondering, how do you guys email your letter of recommendations and MSPE to programs? I don't have access to my letters or MSPE.

Apply to the program through ERAS (unfortunately you may have to pay again) and submit all supporting documents that you don't have access to, then email the program with any documents you may have (for example, you may have access to 1 LOR), and inform them that you have submitted the additional documents via ERAS. If you don't have any documents, which you stated, then just email your interest and in your signature, include your full name, AAMC ID # (so they can easily pull up your ERAS file), contact phone number and email address.

Apply to the program through ERAS (unfortunately you may have to pay again) and submit all supporting documents that you don't have access to, then email the program with any documents you may have (for example, you may have access to 1 LOR), and inform them that you have submitted the additional documents via ERAS. If you don't have any documents, which you stated, then just email your interest and in your signature, include your full name, AAMC ID # (so they can easily pull up your ERAS file), contact phone number and email address.

Thank You.

Do I not need to pay again for programs that I applied to previously during regular match season? Hopefully, they still have access to my files.

Thank You.

Do I not need to pay again for programs that I applied to previously during regular match season? Hopefully, they still have access to my files.

If you've already applied, either in the main match or SOAP, they will have your application and there's no way to "apply again"

I found this program that offers 6-months (graduate diploma in medical studies) and 12-month (professional master of medical sciences) degrees. It's designed for IMGs that are interested in research and helps with their integration into the North American system. It basically involves taking a graduate research course as well as a clinical skills course + observerships. It's at a Canadian university. Will obtaining such a graduate diploma or professional master of medical sciences degree help my application for the coming year?

Would this be better than doing observerships in States cause I will actually earn an additional degree?

Any help is appreciated!

I found this program that offers 6-months (graduate diploma in medical studies) and 12-month (professional master of medical sciences) degrees. It's designed for IMGs that are interested in research and helps with their integration into the North American system. It basically involves taking a graduate research course as well as a clinical skills course + observerships. It's at a Canadian university. Will obtaining such a graduate diploma or professional master of medical sciences degree help my application for the coming year?

Would this be better than doing observerships in States cause I will actually earn an additional degree?

Any help is appreciated!

I think rotations in the states would be more productive since it would involve not only facetime in the training hospital but also the possibility for establishing future connections. Maybe someone with PD experience can shine some light on this?

I might be in the worst possible position in the country regarding matching. I should have just not even gone to med school because I have a useless degree now.

I hope that you are getting support from mentors and your school. And from people in your personal life. Reach out if you need help and especially if you're feeling hopeless.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope that you are getting support from mentors and your school. And from people in your personal life. Reach out if you need help and especially if you're feeling hopeless.

Thank you.

But my school only responds if I contact them and have no "extra" pull that I don't have myself in calling programs. I can't even challenge them without burning that bridge. Useless as they are. None of my mentors/family/friends can help with the fact that its 8 years ~ a decade down the drain with 200k in loans.. and zero job prospects. Plus the thought of pushing to strengthen the app again only to inevitably be disappointed again makes it one extra year. The merger next year is probably already going to sink me.

Working in research now and having to work in close proximity to residents is basically torture at this point.