The right IM residency for matching GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drLexus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am currently a 3rd year student and will be applying for IM this fall. I know it is important to pick the right IM program to increase your chance of matching into GI, however statistics are hard to come by. Many IM residencies list how many people matched in "recent years" on their website, however they don't list the number of applicants, etc. There is probably no way of finding out other than directly speaking to people at the program.

1) Do most wait for interview day to ask ?
The reason I ask this is because I'm in the middle of applying for away rotations and would like to get a better sense of the programs now rather than wait.

2) Is it reasonable to contact programs right now and ask such a question? (I'm assuming it might rub them the wrong way)

3) Also, I feel that GI fellows at my home institution may help answer some of my questions. I was thinking about reaching out to one of them and possibly asking to "shadow" them for an afternoon. Any advice on how to do this and not make a fool of myself !?!!
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.