**The Republic of Texas XXX: You have been matched to Chuck Norris-HSC**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Travel here in DFW got better in the afternoon, I think. Sun came out, majority of the snow/ice turned to slush. It got bad again tonight when the melted snow froze over again. Since tomorrow is going to be warmer, if anyone is traveling to/out of DFW, do it in the afternoon! And it's best to do it tomorrow since there might be some snow on sunday.

Members don't see this ad.

i built an igloo today big eenough for 3 people pics or didnt happen?

Yikes, no I didn't hear about that! And no, I actually had to google that forum to see what it was for! :laugh: It doesn't surprise me that someone might have the same name as me from there, since it's completely reasonable that someone into Vibram Fivefingers might enjoy beets as much as I do. :p
Beets are supposed to be good for endurance athletes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Travel here in DFW got better in the afternoon, I think. Sun came out, majority of the snow/ice turned to slush. It got bad again tonight when the melted snow froze over again. Since tomorrow is going to be warmer, if anyone is traveling to/out of DFW, do it in the afternoon! And it's best to do it tomorrow since there might be some snow on sunday.

Snow during the superbowl, in Dallas?? thats nuts

What a stupid discussion.

You might stop and think why students at a high-ranked school are arguing that rankings are NOT important instead of defending why they are important.

Clearly rankings are fairly worthless.

I mean look at what the rankings even measure. How in the world do they impact the quality of your education? Is some residency program director going to sit there and choose between two equally qualified applicants based on which one's school receives more research dollars? Does that somehow make them a better doctor?

Dumb.

Would it be better to take several undergrad science courses? My science GPA is low(3.3) and I have a 32(10,11,11) MCAT. If I spend a year taking just those, maybe I could up it a bit. I mean, if I bust my ass and pull a 4.0 of 24-30 science classes, that should help a lot and show a positive swing.

I'll give you my opinion but it would be better for you to contact an ADCOM at a school that you're interested in attending to steer you in a better direction. UT-H usually has a re-applicant workshop and Filo at A&M is quite helpful as well. I personally opted for a grad degree over post bac classes because I wanted to progress in the interim just in case med school didn't work out for me. Having a grad degree put me in a better place as far as job opportunities. Also, it took 36 credit hours of science courses to get my grad degree which took 1.5 years to complete. Taking post bac classes for 2 years wasn't a flattering enough option for me. Like I said, that's just my personal opinion based on my circumstances.

I'll give you my opinion but it would be better for you to contact an ADCOM at a school that you're interested in attending to steer you in a better direction. UT-H usually has a re-applicant workshop and Filo at A&M is quite helpful as well. I personally opted for a grad degree over post bac classes because I wanted to progress in the interim just in case med school didn't work out for me. Having a grad degree put me in a better place as far as job opportunities. Also, it took 36 credit hours of science courses to get my grad degree which took 1.5 years to complete. Taking post bac classes for 2 years wasn't a flattering enough option for me. Like I said, that's just my personal opinion based on my circumstances.
This is exactly what I did and for the same reasons.

Turns out my masters included some 4000 level courses which went toward my undergrad GPA on TMDSAS anyway.

Turns out my masters included some 4000 level courses which went toward my undergrad GPA on TMDSAS anyway.
So taking a course after your get your bachelors counts towards your undergrad GPA as long as it isn't graduate level?

So taking a course after your get your bachelors counts towards your undergrad GPA as long as it isn't graduate level?

Yes, like armybound, I took about 3 4000 level courses during my grad degree and these 3 courses were calculated into my undergrad gpa for TMDSAS. In my grad degree program, we were actually limited to 3.

Hey guys, I have a quick question:

I got matched to a med school in Feb (Woop woop), but since it's not one of the top ones in my rankings I was told I am still eligible to be on those other schools' wait list. My question is this: I received my acceptance letter in the mail and it has a deadline to accept or decline. If I sign this letter, would I still be on the wait lists of other schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have a quick question:

I got matched to a med school in Feb (Woop woop), but since it's not one of the top ones in my rankings I was told I am still eligible to be on those other schools' wait list. My question is this: I received my acceptance letter in the mail and it has a deadline to accept or decline. If I sign this letter, would I still be on the wait lists of other schools?

Thanks.

Yes, you are still eligible.

I will take the advice to heart but are there any tertiary opinions on this(I did read further)?
Maybe a MS in Biology with a 3.8+ GPA(provided I get it)? Would that help my chances?

I hope med schools don't care about master's gpa. Cause I totally screwed up my first semester getting my MPH and got 2 c's and an A. I never got a C in undergrad. Now I have to reapply with those two stinkers staring at me.

For those who just finished the process can you tell me something that you learned that you feel like you did not know before? I mean I feel like I am pretty informed about the process because of SDN, but perhaps there are some details I am missing.

For those who just finished the process can you tell me something that you learned that you feel like you did not know before? I mean I feel like I am pretty informed about the process because of SDN, but perhaps there are some details I am missing.

I didn't know people could show up to interviews wearing khakis and workboots.

That patience really is a virtue.

number of interviews is not indicative of chances of getting in.

If you are a medium to strong candidate, don't even bother applying via AMCAS. I wish I hadn't. It is a huge waste of money because even if you get into those schools alongside any TX ones, the cost differential will make them very unattractive. If you don't get in via TMDSAS, you can apply AMCAS the next year.

Statistically, more interviews increases your chances. There will always be anecdotes that don't fit.

I'm sorry for anyone who has it turn out like that. Really, I am. My application cycle was... tumultuous at best. But:

I had four with zero acceptances. and 5 out of the 8 interviews I had went really well. Two were ok, and one was a stress one I think I handled well enough.
Every time I try and ask the admissions offices what I need to do, they defer me to something else. Like a workshop or something. What's wrong with telling me what kept me from getting in so I can WORK on it?
Is the UTH workshop worth going to or are they going to tell me the obvious?

Don't have many expectations. if you do, chances are you'll be disappointed, if you don't, you can only be pleasantly surprised when something does come around...

I had four with zero acceptances. and 5 out of the 8 interviews I had went really well. Two were ok, and one was a stress one I think I handled well enough.
Every time I try and ask the admissions offices what I need to do, they defer me to something else. Like a workshop or something. What's wrong with telling me what kept me from getting in so I can WORK on it?

Nothing's wrong with that. I was just saying that more interviews = better odds, is all.

Nothing's wrong with that. I was just saying that more interviews = better odds, is all.

I don't think that's what he meant. It was a rhetorical question, bro.

I think at the moment they're still sorting through matches and stuff. I wish they'd tell me as well what I need to do, but I think I'll have to wait a few weeks before asking again. And if UTH does do the workshop, I'll probably be there with you.

The Tech Lubbock workshop seems more like a self-esteem booster based off the schedule they posted, so I'm hoping UTH isn't gonna be like that.

If you are a medium to strong candidate, don't even bother applying via AMCAS. I wish I hadn't. It is a huge waste of money because even if you get into those schools alongside any TX ones, the cost differential will make them very unattractive. If you don't get in via TMDSAS, you can apply AMCAS the next year.

I dont know about this advice, you want to get in the first time and applying broadly is a good strategy, which means using AMCAS. Looking back I wish I could be refunded about $3000 in AMCAS, OOS secondary app fees and traveling expenses. I also got into my first choice hometown school that I really wanted to get into in the first place, so total app costs could have been $75. But I wasnt going to take any chances, and risk taking another year of being a doctor off. I got accepted into my first OOS school about 3 weeks before pre-match and that took a huge load off. If I hadnt prematched, the wait to Feb would have been excruciating, had not not matched the wait to see if I got off a waitlist would have been worse, and had I not gotten off waitlists I would be back in square one. All that stress, work, anxiety and nothing to show for it. Get in your first time around, apply smart, early, and broadly.

Last edited:

I'm right there with you. I email these schools and none give out specifics to you. They just give you general tips, which I don't need. Tell me what I did wrong, not what most people do wrong.

I'm right there with you. I email these schools and none give out specifics to you. They just give you general tips, which I don't need. Tell me what I did wrong, not what most people do wrong.

TCOM has 5 pages of suggestions and if you want specifics on your application
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/admissions/Reapplicants5.cfm
you have to traditional-mail them a form (does not accept email) and what you think your application is lacking. if you really want them to tell you what was lacking in your application there

I didn't apply there, but good on TCOM. More schools should do this.

+1 :thumbup:

After the long and arduous process of applying to med school and not getting in, it would be nice to have ready access to feedback from the med schools to go with their oh-so-nice rejection letters.

Alright, so since folks here in this thread have in some way or other been dealing with TX med schools I would like some input please. I am up for applying this cycle (2011) and I am scheduled for the 4/29 MCAT but I am just about to push it later to May 26 and I am a little worried my app won't be in as "early" as need it to be. So, most of the people posting here have at least had 1 interview in TX and maybe more than 1 app cycle under their belt; in your experience, what's your take on taking 4/29 MCAT vs 5/26 and then applying?

Alright, so since folks here in this thread have in some way or other been dealing with TX med schools I would like some input please. I am up for applying this cycle (2011) and I am scheduled for the 4/29 MCAT but I am just about to push it later to May 26 and I am a little worried my app won't be in as "early" as need it to be. So, most of the people posting here have at least had 1 interview in TX and maybe more than 1 app cycle under their belt; in your experience, what's your take on taking 4/29 MCAT vs 5/26 and then applying?

Not that big of a difference if you are an above average applicant. If you are a lower than average it could be a big deal...depends

In my opinion it shouldnt make too much of a difference. I decided to take it in may so I'd have some study time here I didn't have classes/finals distracting. If you take in may you'll have you're score back in June, just work on your app while youre waiting on you're score. Submitting in June is still early.

I actually took my MCAT June 18 for this cycle. You can actually submit before you get your scores back because it takes a couple of weeks to process and just add your scores once you get them. You will be fine with an end of May date.

You can take the MCAT as late as June and still be "on time". If you get your app. completely finished and submitted by July you will be way ahead of the game.

You can take the MCAT as late as June and still be "on time". If you get your app. completely finished and submitted by July you will be way ahead of the game.

Thanks to all of you responding! along these lines solo75 i have emailed almost all tx med schools and most are sooo vague in their reponses, ie. "Thank you for your interest in X SOM, we start receiving applications in May and we encourage all applicants to submit as early as possible. Last day to sublmit is X day in Nov"... that there tells me nothing. However, Dr J. was the exception at a UTHSC, and he personally and promptly emailed me with a concise response. So what you say seems to be fair ...

Last edited:
I actually took my MCAT June 18 for this cycle. You can actually submit before you get your scores back because it takes a couple of weeks to process and just add your scores once you get them. You will be fine with an end of May date.

yeah i thought about that...do you happen to know if your application even gets looked at before an MCAT score? I guess they put them in a different "pile"?

yeah i thought about that...do you happen to know if your application even gets looked at before an MCAT score? I guess they put them in a different "pile"?

The thing is TMDSAS takes 4 weeks to process them. They dont care about your mcat, they check to make sure all your classes match up ect.

Submit 3 weeks before your mcat scores come out and the timing will work out in your favor. Just send the mcat score when you get it.

The thing is TMDSAS takes 4 weeks to process them. They dont care about your mcat, they check to make sure all your classes match up ect.

Submit 3 weeks before your mcat scores come out and the timing will work out in your favor. Just send the mcat score when you get it.

:thumbup: good advise there

Any word on A&M?

A buddy of mine said that they are allowing students to "plead their cases" to not be forced to defer for a year. How generous...Here's hoping everything works out.

Any word on A&M?

A buddy of mine said that they are allowing students to "plead their cases" to not be forced to defer for a year. How generous...Here's hoping everything works out.
Ya, if you dont want to defer you can submit a letter/paragraph saying why you think you should not be deferred and they will take that into consideration if you are "randomly" chosen to defer

I'm doing the TCOM reapplication bit.
I'm thinking of trying to up my science GPA(3.3), which I think is the weakest part of my application. I guess just a bunch of undergrad level science classes for a year should do the trick. I do have a lot of credits, so it will take at least a year's worth of classes to do it. Maybe get into a good research program as well. Anyone know of any that I could get into in the Houston area?
In the meantime, I'm working in a forensics lab, which I hope will look good on an application.

Also, I took two college classes in high school back in 2002. Isn't there some sort of rule where you can not report classes that are at least a decade old?