**The Republic of Texas XXX: You have been matched to Chuck Norris-HSC**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They should not only give out less pre matches than the number of seats available, but also set a percentage somewhere in between 50 and 75% for prematches. That way there arent empty hopes for match day, and people actually match. I also think pre match and match days could be pulled back a bit, especially match day. I didnt have to wait to feb, but i bet the wait would be grueling, only to come to find out there were only few match spots available at each school.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not prematch anywhere and I only found out on match day that I'm going to El Paso (1st choice!). So all hope is not lost to too many prematches, at least if you applied to Texas Tech.

I did not prematch anywhere and I only found out on match day that I'm going to El Paso (1st choice!). So all hope is not lost to too many prematches, at least if you applied to Texas Tech.

I love the name chadbrochill. I am a big fan of derrick comedy and their skit "Bro Rape"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still at a loss of what to do. My GPA and Science GPA (3.4 and 3.3) respectively, I believe is what is bringing down my competitiveness. I have a 32 MCAT(10,11,11) and great EC's that are fairly extensive.
Should I just spend a year taking undergrad science classes trying to boost the GPA(s)? I intend to get into a research program(btw, anyone know of a way to get in a good one around Houston?)

I'm still at a loss of what to do. My GPA and Science GPA (3.4 and 3.3) respectively, I believe is what is bringing down my competitiveness. I have a 32 MCAT(10,11,11) and great EC's that are fairly extensive.
Should I just spend a year taking undergrad science classes trying to boost the GPA(s)? I intend to get into a research program(btw, anyone know of a way to get in a good one around Houston?)
yeah, I'd work on your GPA, do some research, and keep getting clinical experience. Consider doing a reapp workshop, getting new letters, and revamping your personal statement.

You could try emailing plenty of folks in the med center. I'm sure someone needs a researcher.

TCOM has a one year masters in science program that could help your GPA. I know a few people that that took that route and are currently in medical school.

TCOM has a one year masters in science program that could help your GPA. I know a few people that that took that route and are currently in medical school.

this :thumbup: since it's a good option if the only thing that needs work is your GPA. It also has workshops and faculty that will help you with your PS and whatnot over the summer. Have you tried contacting the schools to get their opinion of what needs to be worked on?

this :thumbup: since it's a good option if the only thing that needs work is your GPA. It also has workshops and faculty that will help you with your PS and whatnot over the summer. Have you tried contacting the schools to get their opinion of what needs to be worked on?
How much is tuition and fees and all that?

Summer $1863
Fall $2554
Spring $2030
Total $6447

This is just a guess based on the listed tuition/fees from the hsc.unt.edu website.
Tuition in the summer may be cheaper if you are not retaking the MCAT since that is included in your tuition. If you don't take the MCAT its about $1000 cheaper. Overall, its around $9000 and some people get grants from the government ($1500) to use for the year as well

Last edited:
Tuition in the summer may be cheaper if you are not retaking the MCAT since that is included in your tuition. If you don't take the MCAT its about $1000 cheaper. Overall, its around $9000 and some people get grants from the government ($1500) to use use for the year as well

And to add on to this: You have to take the MCAT class unless you
1) have taken the MCAT already and scored a 28 or higher
2) taken the princeton course within the past 6 months

I'm not sure about #2, but I think that's right.

Hm....is this something that TCOM will look at specifically on my performance as a metric? In other words, do they not "look down" upon it like a lot of grad GPAs? Is it like an SMP?

Hm....is this something that TCOM will look at specifically on my performance as a metric? In other words, do they not "look down" upon it like a lot of grad GPAs? Is it like an SMP?

Yes, it's an SMP. They reserve about 25 seats for the med scis. If your undergrad GPA isn't good enough and/or if you didn't take enough upper division science classes, doing well in this program proves to them that you can handle medical school courses

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's an SMP. They reserve about 25 seats for the med scis. If your undergrad GPA isn't good enough and/or if you didn't take enough upper division science classes, doing well in this program proves to them that you can handle medical school courses

I'll ask them about it; though I sent the application review request to them already, so they might bring it up anyways.

Anyone got any good leads on research in the Houston area?

So I got to have a fun conversation today with TMDSAS about why they say I'm missing my 8 hours of physics. Apparently because my school calls the physics series "principles of mechanics and materials" they Didn't count it as physics despite the fact it's labeled with a physics department number. I have to submit an appeal to a supervisor which is an annoying hassle and hopefully is approved because retaking physics 1 and 2 over what is supposed to be my relaxing summer sounds awful.
:mad:

So I got to have a fun conversation today with TMDSAS about why they say I'm missing my 8 hours of physics. Apparently because my school calls the physics series "principles of mechanics and materials" they Didn't count it as physics despite the fact it's labeled with a physics department number. I have to submit an appeal to a supervisor which is an annoying hassle and hopefully is approved because retaking physics 1 and 2 over what is supposed to be my relaxing summer sounds awful.
that sucks!! I hope you get it approved. Taking physics the summer before medical school would be awful

I'll ask them about it; though I sent the application review request to them already, so they might bring it up anyways.

Anyone got any good leads on research in the Houston area?

I do. I'm leaving so that means open spot. Not sure if it's filled yet but u can always volunteer

How/when did they inform you of this?

UTH sent me an email letting me know and I contacted TMDSAS.

what exactly causes the waitlist to start moving for TMDSAS schools?

anyone here applied or is going to apply with less than 90 hours but would present a bachelors before matriculation?

If you get a waitlist offer, how long do you have to choose?

In other words, do I need to be thinking through potential choices now so that I can give a < 24 h turnaround, or can I focus on being happy with my present school and worry about those things if they come up?

If you get a waitlist offer, how long do you have to choose?

In other words, do I need to be thinking through potential choices now so that I can give a < 24 h turnaround, or can I focus on being happy with my present school and worry about those things if they come up?
You've got to figure it out before May 15th. So assuming they offered tomorrow, you'd technically have till then. After that, I think they may give you a deadline because they've only got till June 15th to offer spots to someone holding an acceptance at another school.

You've got to figure it out before May 15th. So assuming they offered tomorrow, you'd technically have till then. After that, I think they may give you a deadline because they've only got till June 15th to offer spots to someone holding an acceptance at another school.

I believe most give you 2 weeks to send back letter of intent.

anyone here applied or is going to apply with less than 90 hours but would present a bachelors before matriculation?

NO!!!! Why in the world would you do that. Do you not understand the AWESOMENESS that is college. I never wanted to leave Austin.

But is it doable?

There are several people in my class that finished college in 3 years and many of them just turned 21 this past fall.

But listen to slammer922... don't do it! College is awesome! Lots of bad ideas are "doable"... doesn't change the fact that they are bad ideas :p

There are several people in my class that finished college in 3 years and many of them just turned 21 this past fall.

But listen to slammer922... don't do it! College is awesome! Lots of bad ideas are "doable"... doesn't change the fact that they are bad ideas :p
but it wouldn't hurt if i try it out and it certainly wouldn't help either, but if it doesn't work out, then i have next year:)

NO!!!! Why in the world would you do that. Do you not understand the AWESOMENESS that is college. I never wanted to leave Austin.

If Austin had a med school, my #1 choice would have been an easy one

Last edited:
but it wouldn't hurt if i try it out and it certainly wouldn't help either, but if it doesn't work out, then i have next year:)

Actually, it could definitely hurt. You don't want to hurry and take the MCAT and send a rushed application this year when you don't have to do so. Reapplicants often face an uphill battle (check out the reapplicant forum if you don't believe me). So it's better to use this year to prime your application for next year. If you're going to apply, do it 100% right the first time. If you want more opinions, why don't you post your plan in WAMC.

Actually, it could definitely hurt. You don't want to hurry and take the MCAT and send a rushed application this year when you don't have to do so. Reapplicants often face an uphill battle (check out the reapplicant forum if you don't believe me). So it's better to use this year to prime your application for next year. If you're going to apply, do it 100% right the first time. If you want more opinions, why don't you post your plan in WAMC.
Not to mention that it is getting increasingly competitive every year. And it often helps to take your time to pad your resume with extra curricular activities and experiences that you can put in your application and draw on for your personal statements and interviews.

I was looking at the TMDSAS site and it said the application opens may 2nd. I was always under the impression that you couldn't submit until the 2nd but you could fill it out before hand. I just wanted to make sure I'm following the site right and that you can't fill anything out until the 2nd?

Hook 'em! :horns:

+1 I think it would be immensely popular :)

Damn right! Hook em!

I was looking at the TMDSAS site and it said the application opens may 2nd. I was always under the impression that you couldn't submit until the 2nd but you could fill it out before hand. I just wanted to make sure I'm following the site right and that you can't fill anything out until the 2nd?

The application will open in May and the first date you can submit is June 1st. So you can't fill out the app before May, but you have a whole month to start filling that baby out before you even have a chance to submit it

The application will open in May and the first date you can submit is June 1st. So you can't fill out the app before May, but you have a whole month to start filling that baby out before you even have a chance to submit it

This is actually not how it worked this year. You could submit the first day the application was open, but if you took spring coursework, you had to wait until your spring grades were in. But even if you take until June 1 to perfect it, you'd still be way ahead of the game.

This is actually not how it worked this year. You could submit the first day the application was open, but if you took spring coursework, you had to wait until your spring grades were in. But even if you take until June 1 to perfect it, you'd still be way ahead of the game.

Yeah... I submitted on May 12th... It was processed and sent out on June 1st though.

Wow really? I had no clue lol. It wasn't like I was going to get mine in that early anyway :(

Hey guys! This is a little off the normal topics y'all talk about on here, but I'm pre-PT and right now UTEP is my number one choice. They told us at my interview there on 2/25 that we get to collaborate with the TTU Foster med students on some of their rotations (I think ortho and peds), and I thought that was a great opportunity to get to see not only different types of patients but what y'all do as well. Has anybody who matched in El Paso heard anything more about this? I think it's pretty new. Looking forward to working with y'all (if I get in! :) ).

I do. I'm leaving so that means open spot. Not sure if it's filled yet but u can always volunteer

How do I get into a volunteer research program? In other words, do you know any places that would let me go into one?

Last edited:
How do I get into a volunteer research program? In other words, do you know any places that would let me go into one?
You could try contacting some researchers and telling them you'd like to do research in their lab, and you're willing to do it for the experience.