The Republic of Texas XVII: We HAD oil, Now We Run On AWESOME!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats cyclingmo and BabyJ!

Members don't see this ad.

k it's been a while, and i don't mean to conjure up more paranoia..but has anyone's LMFU been changed recently? mine did, but i'm thinking it's related to the fact that i created my 2009 application..

Members don't see this ad :)
k it's been a while, and i don't mean to conjure up more paranoia..but has anyone's LMFU been changed recently? mine did, but i'm thinking it's related to the fact that i created my 2009 application..

Let's not go down that dark, dark road.

Mine changed after NOT matching. I'm on a waitlist, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats BabyJ!!! Did you know what your position was on the waitlist?
I'm hoping for A&M to accept me so I can live close to my family :oops:

Filo told me I was in the top 10. It seems there has been more waitlist movement this year (he said they typically accept 5-6 peeps off the waitlist, but there has already been at least 3 or 4 just on this message board and this is before the real surge in movement). However, he could have met that 5 to 6 waitlisters matriculate (which would be some fraction of how many actual acceptances are sent to the waitlist).

Haha, I missed you guys too! It was hard to break the addiction ....... and now i'm falling off the wagon again. :p

I had gone out of the country to UAE and a few neighbouring countries to visit family and friends. But during my trip I received the great news of my acceptance into the Texas Tech MD/PhD Program. I'm still in shock and can't really believe that it's finally happening. In about 2 weeks i'll be packing my bags to move from Houston to Lubbock.

On a separate note, I need you guys' help once again. I'm really confused and lost as far as picking a department for my PhD goes. I have no idea how to start. I wanted to start by looking at all the projects the facultry are involved in, and seeing which ones interest me the most, but I can't find that list on Tech's website. Any suggestions?

Holy crap! Congrats dude! Mud Phud!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats Ashley!

Does anyone know how to get to the secondary application for TCOM? Do you have to wait until they recieve your application to recieve a EUID or Application locator ID and pin? The med school site said to login as a guest but it keeps bringing me to pages that ask for login information. Thanks in advance!

Congratulations to everyone for getting into their schools!!!:)

On a side note, is it just me or is the anticipation getting to anyone else on waitlist

seeing everyone get accepted off the waitlist is both encouraging and discouraging.

hang in there army. the movement's rolling along and it's not even may 15 yet.

plus, you have a lot of people pulling for you all around the state of Texas! :D

seeing everyone get accepted off the waitlist is both encouraging and discouraging.

Don't worry man. Someone with your stats ....... it's not a matter of if, but when. And I sense it's soon .......... ;)

who was it that had ill parents around college station and was accepted at TCOM but waitlisted at A&M?

any word if she got off the waitlist?

That's me Jolie and no word yet :( Last time I talked to Filo, I was in top 20% or something.

CONGRATS J, MO, and Ashley!!!! I'm so excited for you...and a little jealous;)

Army...we'll keep trucking along and hoplefully the end of the week will bring us some good news too!

Congrats BabyJ, CyclingMo, and Ashley! :hardy:

I finally got my MCAT over with. Now I get to wait anxiously for scores. So much fun.

Yeah the whole process for me has just been waiting. My three interviews were all in august. So that was almost 5 months waiting for the match. I'm trying to think I won't get in off the waitlist and just try my best again for next year.

HerrTex, any updates on Tech's waitlist? I called yesterday, but they didn't seem eager to give me any info other than they haven't selected anyone from it yet.

Thanks.

HerrTex, any updates on Tech's waitlist? I called yesterday, but they didn't seem eager to give me any info other than they haven't selected anyone from it yet.

Thanks.

Nope, nothing , nada, zilch but will update if i hear anything

Ashley...we are going to be classmates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT INTO A&M!!!!!!!!!

Ashley...we are going to be classmates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT INTO A&M!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!! Welcome!:clap: You gonna do Temple or CS? Or do you know??

I am writing part two of the Special Experiences essay. Here is what I have down so far(opinions desired):

"Having a father that was a heart patient has brought challenges to my life I had
never anticipated. His unexpected death shortly after Christmas left me in
emotional and financial turmoil. I had been on many codes over the past three
years, but never expected one to be for my father. Caring for him ever since
his heart surgery in 2003 has been a gratifying experience, even though it
sometimes created problems for my academic schedule.
Each new hurdle that I had to face has tempered my resolve. By chance, I lost
two loved ones at the end of 2007 and almost two others. Regardless, I have
kept my focus on school, volunteering and a research program."

I still have more to add; I am putting it here since it is TMDSAS specific.
One thing I am trying to get across is the following-
Last part of 2007, the following evens occurred:
-Late Oct, my twin tried to kill herself by OD'ing on Tylenol
-Late Nov, my grandmother(father's mother) is diagnosed with esophageal cancer
-Right after Christmas, my father dies
-Two weeks later, one of his aunts is hospitalized
-Two weeks later, another one of his aunts is hospitalized
-Early Feb, the second Aunt dies
-Since the first of the year, I've had my finances and schedule congested with matters regarding the estate(he left a will he was very close to having signed/notarized).

Any opinions on the best way to convey this? Is this suited more for the first essay?

I'm touching on a little bit of this for my PS, but that's sort of for another thread.

cpa2md ... I haven't had a chance to talk with Filo yet, but my e-mail says 2+2 C.S.+Temple.

Vanguard... whoa! I'm so sorry you have had to go through all of that. I think that your essay is going to be compelling as long as you can point out how you have learned/grown/gained insight from those experiences. Good luck!

Congrats BabyJ, CyclingMo, and Ashley! :hardy:

I finally got my MCAT over with. Now I get to wait anxiously for scores. So much fun.

Thanks, isn't waiting fun?! Haha, don't worry though. Once you get accepted then all these tortures will disappear (and get replaced by the horrors of medical school :D).

NICE! Sweet lilmuck, or should I say, Dr. Lilmuck. ;)

I am writing part two of the Special Experiences essay. Here is what I have down so far(opinions desired):

"Having a father that was a heart patient has brought challenges to my life I had
never anticipated. His unexpected death shortly after Christmas left me in
emotional and financial turmoil. I had been on many codes over the past three
years, but never expected one to be for my father. Caring for him ever since
his heart surgery in 2003 has been a gratifying experience, even though it
sometimes created problems for my academic schedule.
Each new hurdle that I had to face has tempered my resolve. By chance, I lost
two loved ones at the end of 2007 and almost two others. Regardless, I have
kept my focus on school, volunteering and a research program."

I still have more to add; I am putting it here since it is TMDSAS specific.
One thing I am trying to get across is the following-
Last part of 2007, the following evens occurred:
-Late Oct, my twin tried to kill herself by OD'ing on Tylenol
-Late Nov, my grandmother(father's mother) is diagnosed with esophageal cancer
-Right after Christmas, my father dies
-Two weeks later, one of his aunts is hospitalized
-Two weeks later, another one of his aunts is hospitalized
-Early Feb, the second Aunt dies
-Since the first of the year, I've had my finances and schedule congested with matters regarding the estate(he left a will he was very close to having signed/notarized).

Any opinions on the best way to convey this? Is this suited more for the first essay?

I'm touching on a little bit of this for my PS, but that's sort of for another thread.

Man, that is tough to go through, I can't even begin to imagine. In my opinion though, the wording can be whatever, depending on the message you are trying to get across. What are you trying to tell Adcoms with all that you have been through? That you can handle a tough load? That you know how it hurts to lose loved ones and therefore you want to try to save as many people as possible? It depends on what you want to tell the Adcoms, and so you have to word it in a manner to convey that message.

Just my $0.02, hope it helps. :luck:

another one on the wait list bites the dust! congrats and welcome to the fold, doc! i know you'll love A&M. it's an absolutely transcendent place.

and i re-emphasize my previous point - MAY 15 STILL HAS YET TO COME! here's the crap ton of WL movement i know is on it's way!!!! :D

hey guys I have a question. I just got done shadowing an emergency medicine doctor and want to send an update to Filo. Should I include the name of the doctor or no? and are you guys mailing the updates or emailing?

hey guys I have a question. I just got done shadowing an emergency medicine doctor and want to send an update to Filo. Should I include the name of the doctor or no? and are you guys mailing the updates or emailing?
I don't think it's important to include the doctor's name, but it wouldn't hurt anything either.

Email is probably the fastest way to send updates, but you do run the risk that he just deletes it and moves on. Not likely, but possible.

I don't think it's important to include the doctor's name, but it wouldn't hurt anything either.

Email is probably the fastest way to send updates, but you do run the risk that he just deletes it and moves on. Not likely, but possible.

Thanks army, I guess I'll leave the name out, I feel weird putting names in letters for some reason. I will email Filo and then mail a copy to him too? What do ya say?

I say that's a good plan. In the email you might want to say something like "Letter to follow" or something, so they don't think they're 2 different updates. Or you could just email Filo saying you've completed some shadowing and you have mailed in a letter to be added to your file.