The Republic of Texas XVII: We HAD oil, Now We Run On AWESOME!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsagat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I changed the name a little, but I think it has more ring to it without the "NESS." Welcome to a new home.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you people broke the other thread. I know we went over 1000 posts.

Yay - I finally got to contribute to the greatness of the Republic!

Everyone raise your six shooters to the sky and start popping off shots! Time to raise the flag!!!

cometakeit.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay - I finally got to contribute to the greatness of the Republic!

Everyone raise your six shooters to the sky and start popping off shots! Time to raise the flag!!!

cometakeit.jpg

Da da da, di ri ri di di dad da dan! ::Salutes the flag::

Hmm...new Texas thread...

/clicks 5 star rating

:thumbup:

excellent final choice on the thread title.

love the thread title.

fly high fellow texans... fly high :cry: (those are tears of joy!)

OK, I dunno if this has already happened yet or not, but I say we try and make it through all 1,000 posts without letting the thread fall to page 2. I'll try to do my part, but Imma need some help here. :D

:laugh: Excellent title!

For my UTH peers, go check out our class thread for info about dinner on Saturday if you happen to be in the Houston area. :D

OK, I dunno if this has already happened yet or not, but I say we try and make it through all 1,000 posts without letting the thread fall to page 2. I'll try to do my part, but Imma need some help here. :D

count me in...

I got y'all's backs, besides, it's about time I hit the 1000 mark, right? :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the new blood should be able to help with not letting the thread fall to page 2. I am sure that people who are applying for next year will start to pop up.

Baylor doesn't have a gym?

not that I'm aware of.

BCM Athletic Facility
- The Baylor Athletic Facility, located on the top level of Garage 6, is a well-equipped facility that includes a weight room (free weights and machines), aerobics room, basketball and racquetball court, and a cardiovascular fitness room. Contact the Office of Student Affairs located in Room M108 for membership and key card distribution.

Recreational Facilities and Programs

Baylor College of Medicine sponsors recreational programs for its students, faculty, and staff. The Fitness Center (located on the roof of Garage # 6) contains a basketball court, a racquetball court, a weight room, and a dance/aerobics room with cardiovascular fitness equipment (exercycles, treadmills, rowing machine and stair climbers).​

Hours:
Monday - Friday - 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday - 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.​

Access is by College issued proximity card. Memberships for students cost $130 per year (July-June) and may be purchased in the Office of Student Affairs. In addition, students, faculty, and staff have active softball, football, volleyball, and basketball leagues. More information regarding recreational activities can be obtained from the Office of Student Affairs, or from an officer of the BCM Student Association.

BCM Athletic Facility
- The Baylor Athletic Facility, located on the top level of Garage 6, is a well-equipped facility that includes a weight room (free weights and machines), aerobics room, basketball and racquetball court, and a cardiovascular fitness room. Contact the Office of Student Affairs located in Room M108 for membership and key card distribution.

Recreational Facilities and Programs

Baylor College of Medicine sponsors recreational programs for its students, faculty, and staff. The Fitness Center (located on the roof of Garage # 6) contains a basketball court, a racquetball court, a weight room, and a dance/aerobics room with cardiovascular fitness equipment (exercycles, treadmills, rowing machine and stair climbers).​

Hours:
Monday - Friday - 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday - 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.​

Access is by College issued proximity card. Memberships for students cost $130 per year (July-June) and may be purchased in the Office of Student Affairs. In addition, students, faculty, and staff have active softball, football, volleyball, and basketball leagues. More information regarding recreational activities can be obtained from the Office of Student Affairs, or from an officer of the BCM Student Association.​

I'm ******ed. I swear I heard of Baylor peeps mentioning that they used the UT center. strange.

In any case, there's no pool at Baylor, so that'll be a consideration.

I'm ******ed. I swear I heard of Baylor peeps mentioning that they used the UT center. strange.

UT's rec center is $25/month and $64/quarter for TMC students. I don't know how high or low that is for you. Also, UT has yoga in the mornings (6:15-7:15) for $15 monthly or on semester basis for unlimited classes(Fall $30 / Spring $45 / Summer $20).

Hope this helps!

UT's rec center is $25/month and $64/quarter for TMC students. I don't know how high or low that is for you. Also, UT has yoga in the mornings (6:15-7:15) for $15 monthly or on semester basis for unlimited classes(Fall $30 / Spring $45 / Summer $20).

Hope this helps!

yea, i saw that. thanks!

maybe, i'll make do without the pool since Baylor is so much cheaper for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolie South

Maybe the UTH one was nicer?

I haven't seen either one yet.

yea, i saw that. thanks!

maybe, i'll make do without the pool since Baylor is so much cheaper for me.

Most apartment complexes here have multiple pools on site. So using the rec center at Baylor and swimming at your apartment might be an option. Depending on where you live, there might even be a fitness center in your apartment complex.

So has anyone heated up a protein shake? The scientist in me realizes that depending on which proteins are present in the mix, essential bonds might be broken and proteins effectively denatured when heated.

I've been having protein shakes in the morning because they are so much easier, but lately I've been wanting something warm - especially when it's cold outside. Any ideas??

Sorry to deviate from the normal med school related stuff.

You a big swimming fan? I go to the 24 since I work and we don't have an office gym. I got the special deal where I pay $24/mo, it's not too bad.

Hope this helps!

Wow, thats pretty cheap. Good deal for the quarterly rates.

So has anyone heated up a protein shake? The scientist in me realizes that depending on which proteins are present in the mix, essential bonds might be broken and proteins effectively denatured when heated.

I've been having protein shakes in the morning because they are so much easier, but lately I've been wanting something warm - especially when it's cold outside. Any ideas??

Well, when it cools back down in your tummy it'll re-nature, right? ;) Haha, if only I retook the MCAT now. :smuggrin:

My husband puts GNC vanilla protein powder in his coffee in the morning and it tastes alright. I am assuming that you are worried about the taste and not about consuming denatured protein.

:thumbup: great thread name!

someone from California apparently gave us only one star, such that we have 4 stars on our fabulous thread.:( Be sure you give us a "5" or we'll look bad. Then, after you've marked ours, go mark theirs accordingly.:p

My husband puts GNC vanilla protein powder in his coffee in the morning and it tastes alright. I am assuming that you are worried about the taste and not about consuming denatured protein.

what's wrong with denatured protein?

your body is going to break down the proteins into amino acids for its own use, right?

Most apartment complexes here have multiple pools on site. So using the rec center at Baylor and swimming at your apartment might be an option. Depending on where you live, there might even be a fitness center in your apartment complex.

apartment complex pools are usually a no go. they're tiny and practically useless for laps.

the 24 hour fitness i used to frequent had a puny 25 m pool. i feel like all i'm doing in one of those is constantly turning around.

UTH actually has an olympic size (50 m), according to their website.

apartment complex pools are usually a no go. they're tiny and practically useless for laps.

the 24 hour fitness i used to frequent had a puny 25 m pool. i feel like all i'm doing in one of those is constantly turning around.

Have you decided on where you're going to live yet? I don't think I've ask that yet..

no, but i'm going down next weekend to check it out. any personal recommendations for places i should see?

I can't make any recommendations either. I'm going down there the week of March 10th.

I dunno if anyone answered you (I kinda just skimmed through the thread really quickly :oops:), but yea, Baylor kids definitely use the UTH gym. Practically all of my friends that go to Baylor use it.

There used to be discounts offered on the 3-month memberships (and maybe others as well) once every three months. Like, if you bought a 3 month membership during the month of the discount, then you'd get 15% off the fee (or something like that). It worked out well, because when your membership expires, you'd be up for renewal during the discount month. I dunno if they still do that though, I haven't renewed my membership in a very long time.

your body is going to break down the proteins into amino acids for its own use, right?

Every time I think of denatured proteins I think of scrambled eggs.

haha I think we have a winner.

Use Muscle Milk. Stuff is delicious.

UTH Rec apparently is better than Baylor's place. A lot of Baylor med kids use our gym.

They don't normally play bball with us...guess they don't like getting dominated. :)

Forget the shakes. This the the Republic of Texas man. You should be starting your day with a glass of 4 raw eggs, 3 oz of tabasco sauce, and 2 shots of whiskey. THAT will put hair on your chest!

But in all seriousness, I don't think you need to worry about denaturing protein. The biggest thing is the free branched chain amino acids. And those sh*ts should be fine under heat!

The thought of warm protein shakes makes is nauseating.

How about mixing in some soy protein powder or something with grits or oatmeal?

I'd think so, but does your digestive tract not have the ability to absorb common proteins present in most living matter for your own use?

I've never taken any class that goes in-depth on the biochemistry of nutrient absorption, but I would think this is the whole reason prions are actually dangerous. You ingest food with them and your body absorbs them. I mean, maybe it just takes a couple instances of the protein to get into your cells to start a chain reaction, but if there are proteins in the food that are useful to us it would be evolutionarily advantageous to absorb them as-is, right?

Someone who knows about this help us out...

I'd think so, but does your digestive tract not have the ability to absorb common proteins present in most living matter for your own use?

I've never taken any class that goes in-depth on the biochemistry of nutrient absorption, but I would think this is the whole reason prions are actually dangerous. You ingest food with them and your body absorbs them. I mean, maybe it just takes a couple instances of the protein to get into your cells to start a chain reaction, but if there are proteins in the food that are useful to us it would be evolutionarily advantageous to absorb them as-is, right?

Someone who knows about this help us out...

i think some enzymatic degradation/polypeptide breakdown (via pepsin, trypsin, and other enzymes that i now forgot) actually occurs in the stomach and small intestine IIRC from the MCAT. that would mean that proteins aren't absorbed in their fully native state.

i think most are also too large to participate in any transport as is.

EDIT: what i was just talking about was digestion. denaturation is a whole different animal. i just remembered that it has nothing to do with primary protein structure (i.e. peptide bonded amino acid chain), only secondary/tertiary/maybe quaternary structure. the chain remains intact while the interactions (hydrophilic/hydrophobic/alpha helix/B sheets) between different parts of the chain are disrupted.

carry on. excuse the dork out.

Provided your husband gets into Rice, you can get membership to the facilities there (Autry Court). They kinda suck, but it's better than nothing...

Umm...there is no longer a 1,000 post limit to a thread. I.e., you guys don't need to create new Texas threads every time you go over 1,000.....

EDIT: Ah, I see you already knew that. Heh.

Yessiree Bob! In Texas we have a lil' thing called... TRADITION! :D

haha I think we have a winner.

Use Muscle Milk. Stuff is delicious.

UTH Rec apparently is better than Baylor's place. A lot of Baylor med kids use our gym.

They don't normally play bball with us...guess they don't like getting dominated. :)

What's Muscle Milk?

Umm...there is no longer a 1,000 post limit to a thread. I.e., you guys don't need to create new Texas threads every time you go over 1,000.....

EDIT: Ah, I see you already knew that. Heh.

Well, the thing is that apparently some posts disappeared after we hit 1,000. The forum doesn't like more than 1,000 posts.

Well, the thing is that apparently some posts disappeared after we hit 1,000. The forum doesn't like more than 1,000 posts.

Is that what happened? I remember seeing the new thread pop up when there were only like 993 in the other one and I was wondering what was up with that.