The Republic of Texas XVII: We HAD oil, Now We Run On AWESOME!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what's wrong with denatured protein?

your body is going to break down the proteins into amino acids for its own use, right?

That is why I said CalicoCat must be worried about the taste and not denatured protein. I assumed she/he knows that denatured protein is ok to consume, but is worried about preservatives added to protein powders and how they will react to heat.

Members don't see this ad.

i think some enzymatic degradation/polypeptide breakdown (via pepsin, trypsin, and other enzymes that i now forgot) actually occurs in the stomach and small intestine IIRC from the MCAT. that would mean that proteins aren't absorbed in their fully native state.

i think most are also too large to participate in any transport as is.

EDIT: what i was just talking about was digestion. denaturation is a whole different animal. i just remembered that it has nothing to do with primary protein structure (i.e. peptide bonded amino acid chain), only secondary/tertiary/maybe quaternary structure. the chain remains intact while the interactions (hydrophilic/hydrophobic/alpha helix/B sheets) between different parts of the chain are disrupted.

carry on. excuse the dork out.

Yep, in stomach first of all hydrochloric acid denatures proteins so enzymes are able to attack peptide bonds. Hydrochloric acid also converts pepsinogen into pepsin which then starts cleaving. aaahh reminds me of good old biochem days :love:

Yep, in stomach first of all hydrochloric acid denatures proteins so enzymes are able to attack peptide bonds. Hydrochloric acid also converts pepsinogen into pepsin which then starts cleaving. aaahh reminds me of good old biochem days :love:

I'm actually surprised i remembered all that crap considering that i took the mcat like a year ago and have been out of school for 3+ years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually surprised i remembered all that crap considering that i took the mcat like a year ago and have been out of school for 3+ years.

I know riiight! I can't remember a thing about Orgo (and I'm made quite aware of it during discussions with my husband :p) but for some reason I still remember some biochem stuff. I had a great biochem teacher though.

Thanks for all the posts related to the warm protein shakes. I tried adding the Gensoy stuff to warm milk and it got a bit clumpy. Other than that, it tasted alright. Will have to experiment more on the weekend. I'll also look into Muscle Milk. Sounds intriguing!

Thanks for all the posts related to the warm protein shakes. I tried adding the Gensoy stuff to warm milk and it got a bit clumpy. Other than that, it tasted alright. Will have to experiment more on the weekend. I'll also look into Muscle Milk. Sounds intriguing!

oh and you can put 100% whey protein into any hot drink. I once ate muffins baked with whey and they tasted great.

we like coming up with new names.

I do so enjoy seeing the new names. :D

Well, the thing is that apparently some posts disappeared after we hit 1,000. The forum doesn't like more than 1,000 posts.

Odd. I remember reading those posts last night and I didn't see any problem. Perhaps it was a momentary glitch? Cause there are several 1,000+ post threads that are doing fine. *shrug*

haha I think we have a winner.

Use Muscle Milk. Stuff is delicious.

UTH Rec apparently is better than Baylor's place. A lot of Baylor med kids use our gym.

They don't normally play bball with us...guess they don't like getting dominated. :)

Where do you get muscle milk? I'd love to try some to see if it truly does taste better than those powder mixes.

THAT will put hair on your chest!

I don't think any of the ladies here (includi cat who originally asked about this) would be interested in chest hair. Which reminds me, did you guys see that antiperspirent commercial about the "manly" products that as soon as the guys rubs on his chest induces super-fast hair growth? :laugh:

Umm...there is no longer a 1,000 post limit to a thread. I.e., you guys don't need to create new Texas threads every time you go over 1,000.....

EDIT: Ah, I see you already knew that. Heh.

we like coming up with new names.

We sure do!

Where do you get muscle milk? I'd love to try some to see if it truly does taste better than those powder mixes.

I don't think any of the ladies here (includi cat who originally asked about this) would be interested in chest hair. Which reminds me, did you guys see that antiperspirent commercial about the "manly" products that as soon as the guys rubs on his chest induces super-fast hair growth? :laugh:

Yeah old spice! I have to get some of that!!! :p I wonder if it works on your back too???

You can get the muscle milk stuff at gnc and other health and vitamin shop type places. Not to discourage you or anything but the one and only time I tired it, I was sick for close to a week right after. Could be coincidence. Either way I can't even sip the stuff without a gag reflex being induced :barf:

Yeah old spice! I have to get some of that!!! :p I wonder if it works on your back too???

You can get the muscle milk stuff at gnc and other health and vitamin shop type places. Not to discourage you or anything but the one and only time I tired it, I was sick for close to a week right after. Could be coincidence. Either way I can't even sip the stuff without a gag reflex being induced :barf:

muscle milk is pretty high in fat if I remember correctly so depending on what you are looking for it is not usually a replacement for whey powder fyi...I prefer the whey personally

So I found out one of my LOR only filled out the TMDSAS evaluation form without sending his own letter. Apparently he put positive things. How bad is it if he didn't add a letter? I have known him for over a year and a half and we are on good terms. Anybody know important it is to have a seperate letter?

muscle milk is pretty high in fat if I remember correctly so depending on what you are looking for it is not usually a replacement for whey powder fyi...I prefer the whey personally

So seems like for now i'll be sticking to Tuna and Whey. I haven't used any When in like 2 years, but I might get back into it for justa bit. Dunno.

So I found out one of my LOR only filled out the TMDSAS evaluation form without sending his own letter. Apparently he put positive things. How bad is it if he didn't add a letter? I have known him for over a year and a half and we are on good terms. Anybody know important it is to have a seperate letter?

Uhhh ... I would call each school directly and ask if they care one way of another. I don't think it'd be a big deal tho. In fact, the form might be better for them because it gives them direct numbers as opposed to statements.

On a separate note, is it harmful in any way to comsume raw eggs? Both the yolk and the whites.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a separate note, is it harmful in any way to comsume raw eggs? Both the yolk and the whites.

only if they have salmonella, which is a rare but real possibility. There's also the serious gag factor!:barf:

All i have heard is that you have to watch out for salmonella with raw eggs

There are pros and cons. The only real thing I guess you have to watch out for is a chance of getting salmonella, though it's quite rare. I think even if you do get it, healthy digestive tracts usually take care of themselves. Supposedly cooking eggs you lose some of the nutrients and stuff, so eating them raw you get more bang for your buck :)

do you mean for the 2009 cycle? Mine filled out both. If he put a bunch of comments in the space at the bottom, what you have it probably fine. You have plenty of time before you can even submit anything so go ahead and ask if you want.

Salmonella might be a concern, but healthy digestive system takes care of it.
Only consuimg too many raw egg whites might cause biotin deficiency.
Cooking the egg aids in oxidation of cholesterol thus causing atherosclerosis.

Can you tell high cholesterol runs in my family? hehehe

no, the 2008 cycle.

Shoot, I can't count the number of times I've had raw eggs...dough, brownie mix (mmm), egg nog... have yet to get Salmonella. :p

If you eat a lot of raw eggs, you can get a biotin deficiency.

ETA: Whoops, feline already mentioned that.

Tech, utsahsc, tcom

This Texas weather needs to make up its damn mind :mad:

This Texas weather needs to make up its damn mind :mad:

agreed. rain/sun/rain/sun...i can't take it anymore!! +pissed+ i don't mind full blown thunderstorms, now those are cool, but this drizzly gloomy crap is so not ok. how's that for description? :laugh:

I started taking one raw egg each morning with my glass of milk, then stopped when I ready about the biotin deficiency. I guess one a day can't hurt, right?

As for the weather, yeah, it sucks as$. It was a beautiful morning H-town, and now you cant even get to your car without getting wet, either from rain or puddles.

All i have heard is that you have to watch out for salmonella with raw eggs

If anyone is curious :)

Salmonella enteritidis

INFECTIOUS DOSE: 100,000 organisms - ingestion; variable with gastric acidity and size of inoculum

i guess I shouldn't have ate that raw eggs with tums

I started taking one raw egg each morning with my glass of milk, then stopped when I ready about the biotin deficiency. I guess one a day can't hurt, right?

As for the weather, yeah, it sucks as$. It was a beautiful morning H-town, and now you cant even get to your car without getting wet, either from rain or puddles.

If you consume whole egg (white and yolk) then you are fine. Yolk is rich in biotin while white contains avidin.

So much for not letting the thread fall to page 2, haha :rolleyes: Bumping up anyway!

If you consume whole egg (white and yolk) then you are fine. Yolk is rich in biotin while white contains avidin.

Awesome, so my week-old tradition lives on!

Now why do I do it, I have no clue! Maybe because it seems hardcore and badass and makes me feel good about my fat flaps. :D

Awesome, so my week-old tradition lives on!

Now why do I do it, I have no clue! Maybe because it seems hardcore and badass and makes me feel good about my fat flaps. :D

You should eat the eggs while playing the rocky music in the background, followed by a brisk run up some steps and some meat punching in a local slaughter house :thumbup:

that's gross, mo

Gross ......... or HARDCORE ....... hmmm. Well, see, the trick is to get the whole egg in your mouth at once, and then swallow it whole. If you try to bite it or swirl it around in there then you can't really fight the gag reflex. Besides, once you do it 2-3 times, then it become easy to ignore the gaging feeling, the disgusting smell, and the coldness of the slimy stuff slowly rolling down your throat. :laugh:

You should eat the eggs while playing the rocky music in the background, followed by a brisk run up some steps and some meat punching in a local slaughter house :thumbup:
:lol:

See, I was gonna do that, but there were no slaughter houses around here, so my plan fell through.

I spoke to my health care advisor about not matching this year, and at the end of our conversation she mentioned to me about looking into offshore schools like Ross or St. Georges and I was kind of taken back by it because I would not of even thought of considering that as a option and now I am just confused. I did a little research and it seems that people can be licensed in the states after education down there. Does anyone have any imput about this subject?

so, my best friend from college lives in houston about 5 min away from the medical center. she and her husband have been great friends to my husband and i since we came back to the states. they bought this awesome 1920s house and fixed it up.

anyways, they were thinking about buying another similar house as an investment (they live in midtown / midcity / something mid). apparently, people are snapping these houses up like nobody's business and this neighborhood is undergoing a "renaissance" of sorts i guess. in any case, they want to rent us the house at cost.

i mentioned going down to check out apartments next weekend *just in case*. they became even more enthusiastic about the house, specifically us renting it.

i don't have all the details yet, but what would be the downside, if any, to the house?

thoughts?

:lol:

See, I was gonna do that, but there were no slaughter houses around here, so my plan fell through.

hmmmmm, yeah that could be a problem. I suppose some roadkill and a hanger could suffice :p

hmmmmm, yeah that could be a problem. I suppose some roadkill and a hanger could suffice :p

Somehow I don't think you get the same effect punching a pancaked squirrel as you do punching a 300-pound mass of frozen flesh and bone.

so, my best friend from college lives in houston about 5 min away from the medical center. she and her husband have been great friends to my husband and i since we came back to the states. they bought this awesome 1920s house and fixed it up.

anyways, they were thinking about buying another similar house as an investment (they live in midtown / midcity / something mid). apparently, people are snapping these houses up like nobody's business and this neighborhood is undergoing a "renaissance" of sorts i guess. in any case, they want to rent us the house at cost.

i mentioned going down to check out apartments next weekend *just in case*. they became even more enthusiastic about the house, specifically us renting it.

i don't have all the details yet, but what would be the downside, if any, to the house?

thoughts?
there's no service crew like at apartment complexes, but you also don't have upstairs neighbors stomping and keeping you awake.

i can't think of any real downsides to the house, unless something bad happens and you end up losing friends.

there's no service crew like at apartment complexes, but you also don't have upstairs neighbors stomping and keeping you awake.

i can't think of any real downsides to the house, unless something bad happens and you end up losing friends.

this is kinda what i was thinking, but these people are super understanding and generous. i can't imagine what would happen for us to not be friends anymore.

i actually would prefer a house, especially if i can get it monthly for a similar price.

this is kinda what i was thinking, but these people are super understanding and generous. i can't imagine what would happen for us to not be friends anymore.

i actually would prefer a house, especially if i can get it monthly for a similar price.
yeah, i think something major would have to happen for there to be an issue.

I think as long as you guys are both clear on expectations and put it all in writing (lease) and are open to communication, there shouldn't be a problem. My roommate in college was a good friend of mine from HS, whose parents bought the condo we shared. I signed a lease, paid them each month, and never had any problems with him or his parents.

Somehow I don't think you get the same effect punching a pancaked squirrel as you do punching a 300-pound mass of frozen flesh and bone.

Yeah, I guess unless someone runs over a buffalo or something similar I'm $hit outta luck. :laugh:

thoughts?

I think as long as you guys are both clear on expectations and put it all in writing (lease) and are open to communication, there shouldn't be a problem. My roommate in college was a good friend of mine from HS, whose parents bought the condo we shared. I signed a lease, paid them each month, and never had any problems with him or his parents.

Like Army said, the downfall our having a house, and an old one at that, would be no service and a bunch of fixing all over the place. But then again, it's a frikkin' HOUSE, and it's in midtown, which is a great area to be in.

But even if they give it to you at cost (what ever that may be, sounds like it's the minimum payment or something), wouldn't it still be way more than an apartment? But yeah, like UTBME said, make sure you don't do anything without signing a written contract. Sometimes you realize a friendship wasn't as solid as you though, especially when it comes to business. :(

if you work it out clearly with your friends, i think it is a great idea! midtown is one of my fav parts of houston. it has really transformed in the last 5 or so years. the nightlife around there is awesome--good bars, restaurnts, music scene, etc. plus, it is only about 10 min away from the med center! go for it!:thumbup:

thoughts?

if it's midtown, go for it. i grew up in midtown (in the houston heights), and it's AMAZING these days. definitely the premier place to live for young professionals these days. do you know where exactly the house is?

as long as you can stay away from driving on the 610 look on a regular basis during peak hours, you're money.

if you work it out clearly with your friends, i think it is a great idea! midtown is one of my fav parts of houston. it has really transformed in the last 5 or so years. the nightlife around there is awesome--good bars, restaurnts, music scene, etc. plus, it is only about 10 min away from the med center! go for it!:thumbup:

if it's midtown, go for it. i grew up in midtown (in the houston heights), and it's AMAZING these days. definitely the premier place to live for young professionals these days. do you know where exactly the house is?

as long as you can stay away from driving on the 610 look on a regular basis during peak hours, you're money.

Great point about the awesome lifestyle up there, however, I don't know how much time you'll have to party while going to medschool.

Also, like MD2B said, try to avoid 610 as much as possible. The only thing bad about midtown is the traffic ALL around it. But then again, if you want to live in the heart of the city, you gotta pay the price.

Okay, so apparently shortly after Dr. Callendar became president of UTMB last year he had a meeting with the Chair of the Board of Regents and the UT System leadership. They asked him if he wanted to help fund and be part of an Austin medical school. He ran the numbers and decided that the ROI was much higher if UTMB spent the money expanding instead in Galveston and the surrounding area, so he told them no. So...

1. There will be no major investments made by UTMB in Austin.
2. UTMB may or may not continue running their residency programs there.
3. No matter what happens, medical students will still be sent to Austin.