The Rearview Mirror: Match Day Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught a second virus since match day. Been battling a fever/sore throat all day. Called in sick from subi. It was actually legit, plus I'm taking care of a neutropenic patient and would feel like crap if she got sick. Only 3 more days of subi left.

Got a great email from my school today. I guess I'm a few days late in sending in the names and email addys of my evaluators. I've been threatened with an F for my subi for "professionalism" reasons if I don't turn it in by tomorrow afternoon. That sounds professional to me, threaten to fail someone who shows up and does all his work b/c you haven't turned in evaluator names. Not like we don't have other things to deal with right now, either.

If there was one word I could drop from the medical education process...

We get busted with it if we skip a lecture. Apparently "professionalism" is measured by the ability to listen to boring stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

I am completely technicologically handicapped, so I figured I would ask you guys. What is the cheapest but still useable way to own a pda? I guess I'm asking how much would I have to expect to spend per month to have internet access or something similar? Thanks all!
You don't need internet access on the pda per se, you just need it on your pc so you can update any of the programs on it. Dialup will work, but it takes a long time.

Thoughts and prayers to those affected at VT.

We greatly appreciate everyone's warm wishes during this very difficult time. Please continue to think of us as we try to move forward and put the pieces of our lives back to some semblance of order.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 more days of medical school left. Too bad I spend one of them on call. :mad:

So I just had a deep thought...if a dr is walking worse than the pt who is in pain, can the dr laugh at them in the pt's room? A recent flare-up of the plantar fasciitis has been the reason for this odd thought. Oh, and I decided it was bad enough this morning that I shouldn't walk to class.

damn. 1/2 way done with trauma. Its amazing how quickly you can get to a decent level of comfort. Sadly we had 2 die yesterday. nutty world and while there are basic MVCs its the assaults and such that are really depressing.

My throat has been killing me for the last 3 days. I'm popping advil q6 hour to control it. I was worried at first since I treated someone with strep last week, but I don't think I have it. I have a cough, my neck is far from tender, and there are no exudates. But regardless, my throat is killing me. I much rather have congestion than this pain everytime I swallow and cough. I also think I'm a new asthmatic since everytime I get sick these days, I cough more than ever before...and have chest tightening. No wheezing. Ugghh...I hate illnesses. :laugh:

So I think I have officially lost it. I was sitting in my so's apt and said "24" for some reason, and I have no clue where the thought came from nor what it was leading to. Oh, and he now knows I'm crazy.

Yesterday was the last day I had to wear that short white coat, and today is the last day of medical school! Graduation is just 12 days away! Horray! :banana: :banana:

Yesterday was the last day I had to wear that short white coat, and today is the last day of medical school! Graduation is just 12 days away! Horray! :banana: :banana:

Congrats! Today is my last day of medical school and my last day to wear a short coat. But, graduation is still about 50 days away. I am aching to sign out my patients today! :D :thumbup:

All of this just in time to fill out all those liscensing papers Lisa sent us. :laugh:

Oh...and realizing that this morning was the last morning I had to drive to work as a medstudent was pretty sweet. I had this huge wave of excitement come over me knowing that residency feels more like a reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys!! Now have a cold one. :hardy:

I have to ditto the today being the last day of med studentness. We graduate in 14 days.

And should we stop at one cold beverage? I thought EM was about excesses. :D

I have to ditto the today being the last day of med studentness. We graduate in 14 days.

And should we stop at one cold beverage? I thought EM was about excesses. :D

Isn't it about the patient's excesses? Unless you're so dedicated to your craft that you want to experience the ER from the patient's perspective...
If that is the case, more than one cold beverage is authorized, nay, expected!

I had this huge wave of excitement come over me knowing that residency feels more like a reality.

Must be nice.

Now, I know that I'll have better luck next year, etc, etc, but it still doesn't make this looming July look any better. It could be worse, though, so I'm going to keep going, but I just won't be ecstatic about it.

Still having some beers for graduation though. And then going to the Keys to piss off and scuba.

Must be nice.

Now, I know that I'll have better luck next year, etc, etc, but it still doesn't make this looming July look any better. It could be worse, though, so I'm going to keep going, but I just won't be ecstatic about it.

Still having some beers for graduation though. And then going to the Keys to piss off and scuba.

*pets*

McNinja, we're gonna be okay. It'll be a long year, but we're going to be okay.

Speaking of cookies, please pass on to your wife that hot, fresh cookies are available every day at 2:45pm in the PCMH cafeteria. You can get 3 for $1. They are tasty.

mmmmmm....can I come too?

So I just had a deep thought...if a dr is walking worse than the pt who is in pain, can the dr laugh at them in the pt's room? A recent flare-up of the plantar fasciitis has been the reason for this odd thought. Oh, and I decided it was bad enough this morning that I shouldn't walk to class.

Unfortunately, not. I worked last weekend (Friday/Sat/Sunday) sick like a dog - two of the three days I vomited at least three times before each shift, once during the shift, and then commenced having 8+ diarrheal stools per shift. And guess what kind of pediatric patient I was seeing? Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea/fever. "Oh, my kid puked twice last night, but held down breakfast this morning... can I have some amoxicillin?"

F*ck off honey, I'm way sicker than your kid! But nooo... since I'm an attending I can't say those wonderful things.

Speaking of cookies, please pass on to your wife that hot, fresh cookies are available every day at 2:45pm in the PCMH cafeteria. You can get 3 for $1. They are tasty.

Done and done.

Did I mention that at my prelim, I get 3 meals paid for each day. As in, Mon-Sun, so I can go in on my off days and still eat. You should believe what Panda says, community programs rule.

Unfortunately, not. I worked last weekend (Friday/Sat/Sunday) sick like a dog - two of the three days I vomited at least three times before each shift, once during the shift, and then commenced having 8+ diarrheal stools per shift. And guess what kind of pediatric patient I was seeing? Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea/fever. "Oh, my kid puked twice last night, but held down breakfast this morning... can I have some amoxicillin?"

F*ck off honey, I'm way sicker than your kid! But nooo... since I'm an attending I can't say those wonderful things.

Aww...hope things are better for you now!!! I am kind of concerned about those days I may feel like crawling on the ground or borrowing a wheelchair. Would someone look down on me for borrowing one? (and no, I don't mean looking down literally...)

It is a beautiful day in Chicago on this first day of my vacation! Man...it's sweet to think that I never have to wear that ugly short coat again! GF just left for the gym...and I want to go but I still feel crappy. Throat feels better, but I just need to rid my body of my nasty cough and congestion.

There's a party tonight for mine and a friends birthday. Don't think I'll be drinking. :(

Hoping to check out body worlds in the next couple of days.

Your birthday too?

Yup...my bday is Monday. My friend's bday is on Tuesday. His GF won a free party for tonight so she's using it to celebrate both our bdays. :thumbup:

Well, happy early birthday and drink some for me. :hardy:

As for me, I will be studying all night :(

Happy early birthday Dr. Will! Now I know there is at least one person older than me in our class at Cinci. Are you heading over there to look for a place soon now that you are done with med school?

We are heading up there right after my graduation.

Happy early birthday Dr. Will! Now I know there is at least one person older than me in our class at Cinci. Are you heading over there to look for a place soon now that you are done with med school?

We are heading up there right after my graduation.

I'm heading there late next week (thurs-fri). I should find a place pretty easily since I'm pretty particular about what I want after living in Chicago budget style for the last two years. I've been doing my research, so hopefully it'll go smoothly.

And thanks for bday wishes!

I'm heading there late next week (thurs-fri). I should find a place pretty easily since I'm pretty particular about what I want after living in Chicago budget style for the last two years. I've been doing my research, so hopefully it'll go smoothly.

And thanks for bday wishes!

Happy BDay Dr. Will! I'll probably need some recommendations from you after your housing search since I'll only have a week or so to find a place call home after I return from China before our graduation and my next trip abroad.

So far, I've managed to stay alive despite the crazy drivers throughout China. (These people do not think lane markers or headlights mean anything, but somehow they can drive with their hands on the steering wheel, horn, gear shift, and cell phone all at the same time) But I did get sick twice and thus have really come to appreciate how difficult oral rehydration can be :( 2 more weeks before I return to civilization!

P.S. I'm the 3rd from the right on the top

So, thought I had made it through medical school without any problems, when an encumberance shows up 2 weeks before graduation. I ask them why I wasn't notified before, and got the BS answer "we are not obligated to alert you of an encumberance". To which I reply "so, everyone is just supposed to query the system every semester just to see if you all have decided we owe you more money."
Longer story short, since they couldn't be bothered to give the parking ticket my wife got TO HER, they put it on my account. She never saw the ticket, and it happened last November. The fine is paid, but it still pisses me off that they waited 6 months to tell me about this (and then, of course, to give the ticket to me even though it is my wife's car, and she is a student as well).

Alright, chiba monkeys, anybody got a list of things to do in the Keys?

Sunset festival at mallory square. Hemingway house. Audoban society. Aquarium.

oral boards, finals, conferences, workshops... close to death.

sorry ive been missing. it is amazing how much you can work. Working on Trauma can really leave little free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.