The REAL deal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

irishguy

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to try give a neutral perspective on all this RCSI Vs. UCD Vs. Going to Ireland for medical school at all.

I'm a current RCSI student, in my second year here. I've also done a year of medicine in UCD, after which I transferred to RCSI.

I'm irish, so fees weren't on my list of worries when choosing medical school, and thinking about it i didn't really mind which medical school i went to. This is because education is excellent in all five medical schools no matter what anyone says. My two brothers went to Trinity and my sister went to UCC, all doing medicine. We don't bicker about which college is the best because there is virtually no difference. With regards facilities, all are basically the same. There is no underhanded sly business going on in RCSI as some people have suggested, and all should be aware that RCSI, UCD and Galway medical school are all under the jurisdiction of the National University of Ireland, which ensures standardised education.

The point I'd like to make is, that is doesn't really matter where you go to college in ireland, you'll be well educated everywhere. However, with the large amount of american students in RCSI, they do put more time into preparing for USMLEs and helping those intending to go to the USA after the course. Take a look at the irish students, we don't really care where we go to college, hence the entry requirements for all 5 medical schools are practically the same. I simply chose UCD to begin with because it was closest to where I lived. My parents moved to north dublin after my year in UCD (and i with them) and i changed over to RCSI because it was eaasier to travel to every day, it's as simple as that!

Best wishes :luck: :luck: :luck: to you all coming to Ireland. I haven't met anyone in RCSI that isn't enjoying themselves yet and I can say the same about UCD. You'll have a unique, fulfilling, worthwile experience wherever you go!

Members don't see this ad.

irishguy said:
I'm irish, so fees weren't on my list of worries when choosing medical school

IrishGuy,

Quick question -- what's international student tuition at UCD. E25k? And it's been that amount pretty consistently, right?

Ok, now international student tuition at RCSI. Almost E40k for 2006. Why? When, as you say, facilities are equivocal at all the Irish medical schools, and, as you say, when the education is the same -- how come RCSI is 60% more expensive than UCD, TCD, UCC and NUIG? Also consider that back in 2002 it was barely E29k.

Why the huge hike when all the other medschools kept their international student fees the same?

I think that's where RCSI kids get angry -- they receive the same facilities as UCD (actually less -- UCD is huge..), get the same education as UCD, get the same diploma as UCD -- but pay 60% more for the privilege.

Hello?

alincoln,

I had an interview for RCSI, and they told me why their tuition is greater than the other schools. From what they say, it's that they are somewhat of a 'private' school in that they are more independent of government funding, and therefore make up for it with greater tuition.

Not to say that they don't charge more just to get more, but a big part of it is that they get a smaller piece of the government funding pie.

I think people that complain about the steep tuition should either stop complaining or simply decide not to go there. Even if RCSI is their only option, they still make the choice, and should therefore not blame anyone other than themselves for the debt they end up with.

Maybe that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
slamM

well said. There isnt any point in complaining about the tuition, there isnt a soul who goes to RCSI without knowing how expensive it is long before day 1.

Mike MacKinnon said:
slamM
there isnt a soul who goes to RCSI without knowing how expensive it is long before day 1.

I agree with you two completely. RCSI advertises their tuition rates just like everyone else. But what they DON'T advertise is that tuition goes up every year by 7% -- Guaranteed -- while UCD, TCD, UCC etc. will stay the same.

And also what students are unaware of, is exactly what you (don't) get for the money you pay. For example, every private college kid in the states is used to $40k tuition. No surprise there. But they get used to a certain level of "customer service" at these price levels, come over here and pay the same but get LOADS less.

Of course, you don't notice this lack of customer service until you're already committed to 5 years of it.

You're all tired of hearing from RCSI whiners. I understand this. Some people's comments (*ahem*) have been a little over-the-top. But what current students/graduates are trying to do is let you know what goes on *behind* the beautiful musket-chipped columns, so people getting acceptances can make informed decisions.

If people would like a more positive spin on RCSI, check out www.rcsitv.com. This is the PR site from Admissions.

You're all becoming immune to RCSwhine, but then, they never listened to Kassandra about Troy either.

alincoln said:
I agree with you two completely. RCSI advertises their tuition rates just like everyone else. But what they DON'T advertise is that tuition goes up every year by 7% -- Guaranteed -- while UCD, TCD, UCC etc. will stay the same.

Ah, I'm in 3rd year and UCC has increased tuition each year I've been here, and I'm not expecting to get a break on that this year - in fact, if UCD is telling people 25000 euro for this fall, that should be what my tuition goes to, from 23,500 this year. That's actually a bigger increase than I was expecting - kinda sucks!
So, no, going to UCD, UCC or TCD will not guarentee no tuition increases - they jack the prices up each year just like RCSI, by the rate of inflation or whatever arbitrary amount they have decided on for the year. Cheers