How did you deal with late acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacytechguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I do not graduate until Spring 2009- as a fith year undergrad with two degrees-and did not plan to apply US medical schools until after I graduate. Thus, there would have been a one year wait.

I have considered applying via ABP, with the intent of starting Fall 2009. Not sure yet....

I have read about several very late acceptances (July and even August). How did you deal with this? How were you able to set up loans etc so quickly? Did anyone here go to medical school in Ireland without even visiting first?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I do not graduate until Spring 2009- as a fith year undergrad with two degrees-and did not plan to apply US medical schools until after I graduate. Thus, there would have been a one year wait.

I have considered applying via ABP, with the intent of starting Fall 2009. Not sure yet....

I have read about several very late acceptances (July and even August). How did you deal with this? How were you able to set up loans etc so quickly? Did anyone here go to medical school in Ireland without even visiting first?
Loans are doable, but most people need a cosigner. I was accepted in may or so and found i had plenty of time to sort myself out. I had never been to ireland before and it was a bit difficult to adjust but totally doable. Thing to do is apply for residence as soon as possible so your sorted. I stayed in lancaster hall which is not bad as they try to set you up with mature students like yourself. In short its a bit hectic but life is too short to worry about it methinks.

COSIGN?

ouch. If I do go through the ABP, i will start medical school when I'm 24....do you think if I have started establishing credit already I could bypass the cosign...?

say something happens, like I die...i dont want my parents to pay it.

Members don't see this ad :)
COSIGN?

ouch. If I do go through the ABP, i will start medical school when I'm 24....do you think if I have started establishing credit already I could bypass the cosign...?

say something happens, like I die...i dont want my parents to pay it.
Get the insurance then. If you die they're off the hook.

I don't have a co-signer. Just have the student line of credit, OSAP, and a small, interest free loan for medical students as well from an Irish bank. Not sure what I'll do for the final year but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. :)

I applied late through the ABP after being wait listed at 3 or 4 schools in the US and ended up going to medical school in Ireland. Then I transferred to a US school later on. I had never been to Ireland and knew no one there when I moved there for the first time. That wasn't a problem really. It was a fun place to live for a few years and it was easy enough to make friends since we were in class together all the time. Anyhow, I'm just saying that not having visited Ireland before isn't a big deal since a brief visit is nothing like living there full time anyway. The only way to know what it is like is to actually move there.

About the loans, if you are American your loans for graduate level education don't require a co-signer, or at least mine didn't. If you are Canadian, I don't know about your loans. It also didn't take long to get the loans approved. It's new to you, but the bank has done it a million times and pretty much has it down at this point. They can get you your loans quickly; not a surprise since they'll make a small fortune off of you!

I'm also writing to ask about your reason for considering the ABP while choosing to delay US applications unnecessarily. It doesn't really make sense to apply to the ABP if you really want to go to a US school. It also doesn't make sense to rule out applying to US schools prior to your last year of college, or at least I can't imagine why you would do that!? Don't get me wrong, it's fine to apply to the ABP, but I don't follow your reasoning.