the problem with asians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an asian.

and the problem with asians that i see (note, i'm only talking about the ones around me) is that too many of us want to be doctors.
I don't know much about other asians, but I've always had the sense that asians around me are being told by their parents to go into medicine.

just look at all those incoming undergrad freshman. Most of them say they are premed. then when sh1t hits the fan 2nd semester, they change their plans.

I dunno how the law and business fields are....
but I get the impression that too few asians are pursuing a law career......

I want to avoid schools with too many asians. It's good to have affirmative action. Being around too many asians is a bad influence. Most aren't outspoken, altruistic, or creative, and these same people just memorize sh1t everyday and have no life. They are not 'leader material'.

this is just my opinion.
Please respect my Amendment rights. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I've met a couple of older asian students who say that they were warped by their parents pushing them into medicine. None of them actually went to med school and have decided to pursue other careers. But they say to this day their parents still take little jabs at them for being failures. :eek:

Originally posted by NRAI2001
Thats a good point, I wonder if there is any research on that.

No need to wonder, just call Howard or Meharry who specific goal is to produce doctors who will go back to the underserve ccommunities. Since they produce the greatest amount of the black doctors out there and take a lot of the students with the lower MCAT scores, that would be a great start. I'm definitely sure they keep up with where their students end up practicing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being around too many asians is a bad influence. Most aren't outspoken, altruistic, or creative, and these same people just memorize sh1t everyday and have no life. They are not 'leader material'.

It's funny because that sounds like something a "typical" asian applicant or applicant's parent would say. "Oh no, my child is very much a leader, nothing like your kid who doesn't know how the world works and only studies. You see your kid has the grades but not the leadership. And you know thats the kind of things that lets say Harvard looks for. Um did I mention that my kid has both grades and leadership and is applying to Harvard?"

I think alot of asian applicants like to create this large population of book worm premeds to make themselves feel better. We all know that there are alot of asian premeds so we make up this thing about ourselves being different so that we feel better.

oh no.. i am a asian... 3.4 gpa... 29 mcat.... am i doomed?

Originally posted by CrazyPerson
oh no.. i am a asian... 3.4 gpa... 29 mcat.... am i doomed?

as doomed as a white person....