***The Official UPenn Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how grading works? A student said the pre-clinical classes are p/f/h which is the first time I heard of Penn doing that and I just want to double check

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how grading works? A student said the pre-clinical classes are p/f/h which is the first time I heard of Penn doing that and I just want to double check

First semester, lab, DAU (clinic), and a couple of classes are h/p/f. All of the core curriculum stuff is graded. Lab's graded for us starting second semester

Reactions: 1 user
Any thoughts,
I got accepted all schools I applied which is 11 schools. I came up to three schools from the 11 to decided which are Upenn ,Upitt and Dental college of Georgia(my state school. I got scholarship from Upenn and Upitt ( 10k for each year). I'm having hard time to decide. Upitt is a lot cheaper than my instate school when I include my 10k scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts,
I got accepted all schools I applied which is 11 schools. I came up to three schools from the 11 to decided which are Upenn ,Upitt and Dental college of Georgia(my state school. I got scholarship from Upenn and Upitt ( 10k for each year). I'm having hard time to decide. Upitt is a lot cheaper than my instate school when I include my 10k scholarship.

Last edited:
If we are not awarded Dean scholarships right away as first years, is there a chance we may qualify as second year students?
Is there a good patient flow at Penn, or do we actively need to seek out and schedule our own patients?

Accepted, but I will be declining the offer sometime this week. They also offered me a $10k scholarship per year, but I would need a lot more to justify the price. Hopefully the money goes to someone on the fence. Good luck, all.
Where will you end up going?

If we are not awarded Dean scholarships right away as first years, is there a chance we may qualify as second year students?
Is there a good patient flow at Penn, or do we actively need to seek out and schedule our own patients?
No, deans scholarship needs to be offered when you start as a D1. People will reject offers or get tuition from the military so there is still a chance they may offer you one. We don't need to find our own patients.

No, deans scholarship needs to be offered when you start as a D1. People will reject offers or get tuition from the military so there is still a chance they may offer you one. We don't need to find our own patients.
I met someone at Penn during my interview that got a scholarship for 20k after her first year. I think it is possible

Unless I get off Stony Brooks waitlist, I’ll be attending UPitt (with scholarship)
how do you know stony waitlisted you? did they actually tell you or are just assuming bc they didn't accept you. Ive heard zip from stony since the interview but i know a lot of people have gotten in in Jan even when the interviewed early

Has anyone received a call for an acceptance on a day other than dec 1 yet? I interviewed towards the end of November and was wondering when they would call if I got an offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you know stony waitlisted you? did they actually tell you or are just assuming bc they didn't accept you. Ive heard zip from stony since the interview but i know a lot of people have gotten in in Jan even when the interviewed early
I’m in the same exact situation. I’ll prob put my deposit down for pitt and if I hear back I’ll jump at the opportunity to go to stony

Im sure we will hear back in January. We just need to stay positive
Exact same boat, too. Depositing for UPenn, but waiting for Stony. I didn't know I would need to be so patient after Dec 1st again. =( meh

I’m OOs for stony lol.

Actually not the same boat bc i haven’t heard from penn since I interviewed haha. Congrats on the acceptance!!
If you don't get the advantage of in-state tuition, why are you even worried about Stony? Frankly, the school in and of itself is so-so

I am going to be turning down my acceptance here. Hopefully someone else gets those 120K. Good luck to those that are still waiting to hear back.

Reactions: 5 users
If you don't get the advantage of in-state tuition, why are you even worried about Stony? Frankly, the school in and of itself is so-so
You get in state after one year.

Also, don’t try to downplay Stony to thin out that waitlist (I’m onto you :laugh:)

Reactions: 2 users
You get in state after one year.

Also, don’t try to downplay Stony to thin out that waitlist (I’m onto you :laugh:)
Haha I am not trying to be sneaky. I am genuinely curious what people liked so much about Stony relative to other schools.

Haha I am not trying to be sneaky. I am genuinely curious what people liked so much about Stony relative to other schools.
Class size, no rankings, medical curriculum, a 4.0 is a 90%, start clinic very early, and match rates to name a few

Class size, no rankings, medical curriculum, a 4.0 is a 90%, start clinic very early, and match rates to name a few
Penn has all of that except for class size, I thought. Everyone after 10, being ranked 11.

Penn has all of that except for class size, I thought. Everyone after 10, being ranked 11.
Penns class size is nearly triple SB

They do only rank 1-10

It’s not a medical curriculum

More people try to go into specialty at Penn (70% of a large class) so trying to shadow residents is often flooded with gunners

Penn does not start as early as SB and they do not have as high of clinical requirements either

Reactions: 1 users
I met someone at Penn during my interview that got a scholarship for 20k after her first year. I think it is possible
On their website they say: "Only students who receive a Dean’s Scholarship prior to entering dental school are eligible to receive the scholarship in subsequent years." Perhaps it was another scholarship since they have many different kinds available.

For those of you guys (accepted of current students) who do not have a scholarship offer, How freaked out are you about the cost of attendance? Do you feel like it will take forever for us to pay off those loans?

Last edited:
For those of you guys (accepted of current students) who do not have a scholarship offer, How freaked out are you about the cost of attendance? Do you feel like it will take foreer for us to pay off those loans?
Don't mean to be pessimistic but a 400k+ loan will take 10-20 years to pay off for sure. If you practice in a flyover state and aggressively pay it back, you might be able to half that time.

Don't mean to be pessimistic but a 400k+ loan will take 10-20 years to pay off for sure. If you practice in a flyover state and aggressively pay it back, you might be able to half that time.
but will my quality of life be bad during those 10-20 years? i am just trying to figure out if the little money i'll be putting into my pocket will make me sad that I had gone to dental school

but will my quality of life be bad during those 10-20 years? i am just trying to figure out if the little money i'll be putting into my pocket will make me sad that I had gone to dental school
Depends on where you decide to live. If you want to live in a saturated area, then your quality of life may not be the best because a large chunk of your paycheck will go towards paying loans/housing. If you decide to start a family, then money will go towards that, too. Again, if you settle down in a flyover state, you'll have more money to work with because COL is less expensive. It's a tradeoff.

There's a reason why "going to the cheapest school" is a very common theme on this forum. It's all fun and games until you graduate and realize that you actually have to pay back those loans. That 6$ sandwich you bought at lunch all the sudden turns into a 9$ sandwich.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I will be turning down my offer along with the 160k scholarship. Good luck everyone!

• Wow
Has everyone gotten their acceptance package? I still don’t have mine

Got a waitlist letter from penn today in the mail. It was sent 12/8. I guess it’s better than getting rejected but still disappointing nonetheless.

I interviewed September 15th.

Last edited:
Got a waitlist letter from penn today in the mail. It was sent 12/8. I guess it’s better than getting rejected but still disappointed nonetheless.

I interviewed September 15th.
I hope you get in. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
The representative asked me if I could come this Thursday and I said yes so I don't know which other dates are available :/
The email did say the class does not reach its capacity until mid-March.
Wow.. that’s crazy haha. Which state do you live in?

Status
Not open for further replies.