*** The Official UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Sure, one was a first year scholarship to offset oos tuition and the second was the regents scholarship
Oh whoaaa. Congrats! Do you mind telling me which scholarships you got?

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure, one was a first year scholarship to offset oos tuition and the second was the regents scholarship

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile
Thank you for telling me. How did you know about your scholarships? Did they tell you on the phone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like UCLA is only giving scholarships to OOS. Has anyone who's been accepted and IS received a scholarship?

How likely is it to get off the UCLA waitlist? If it is likely, what are the chances of being accepted before January?

Last edited:
Seems like UCLA is only giving scholarships to OOS. Has anyone who's been accepted and IS received a scholarship?
My year, it seems like they only gave scholarships to OOS students to help offset the higher tuition. In the current D1/2023 class, both IS and OOS people received scholarships. They might've changed it back to only giving OOS people scholarships this year :shrug:

How likely is it to get off the UCLA waitlist? If it is likely, what are the chances of being accepted before January?
Not sure how likely it is, but I know a few people (very few) who were waitlisted and later accepted in the current D1/2023 class. Haven't heard anything like this for my class though.

My year, it seems like they only gave scholarships to OOS students to help offset the higher tuition. In the current D1/2023 class, both IS and OOS people received scholarships. They might've changed it back to only giving OOS people scholarships this year :shrug:

Not sure how likely it is, but I know a few people (very few) who were waitlisted and later accepted in the current D1/2023 class. Haven't heard anything like this for my class though.
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations on what I should do to get off the waitlist? UCLA is my dream school, and I would love to do whatever I can to get off the waitlist.

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations on what I should do to get off the waitlist? UCLA is my dream school, and I would love to do whatever I can to get off the waitlist.
No idea :/ I'd just send updates and try to be as patient as possible. Whatever's meant to happen will happen. Don't bank on just this school (or any one really) -- make plans/arrangements for someplace you have been accepted to, if any. This advice applies to anyone.

I got accepted off the waitlist last year so there is still hope! I know people from class of 2022 to 2021 who go accepted off the waitlist as well! I'd recommend updating the school about your ECs and grades. Also write them a really good letter of intent! Stay Motivated and keep up the hard work!
I'm an IS student and received scholarship last year!

Members don't see this ad :)
"Please note that your application is pending a final decision from the committee at this time. Be assured that I will contact you as soon as your status changes, which I expect to occur within two weeks."

I received this email yesterday, and I was curious as to what it meant. Is this considered the waitlist? I interviewed back in October.

"Please note that your application is pending a final decision from the committee at this time. Be assured that I will contact you as soon as your status changes, which I expect to occur within two weeks."

I received this email yesterday, and I was curious as to what it meant. Is this considered the waitlist? I interviewed back in October.
No, I interviewed in November and was placed on the waitlist yesterday. I think it just means they’re going over your app still and haven’t decided anything yet

No, I interviewed in November and was placed on the waitlist yesterday. I think it just means they’re going over your app still and haven’t decided anything yet

Okay thank you so much for the reply! Do you think it means I still have a chance of being accepted or would i automatically be placed on waitlist? Also, does sending a letter of intent before they make their decision a good idea or should I wait?

Okay thank you so much for the reply! Do you think it means I still have a chance of being accepted or would i automatically be placed on waitlist? Also, does sending a letter of intent before they make their decision a good idea or should I wait?
I’d wait on the letter of intent since they haven’t made an official decision - if you are waitlisted then I’d that day send a letter - Noemi received mine and responded fast so don’t worry about them never seeing it haha

Theoretically, how much does the alternate/waitlist move every year?

Theoretically, how much does the alternate/waitlist move every year?
No idea. Stats aren't released, but I'd approximate that about 30-50 people are waitlisted currently (ish) and that a few will be accepted, but it depends on how/if they'll do post-Dec interviews this year, because all waitlisted applicants will be competing against post-Dec interviewees for a spot, similar to any other school. Not an adcom/part of the committee so don't quote me on this! Just my thoughts.

If we interviewed pre-december and were placed on the alternate list, do we have an advantage over those who interview post-december? Or is it fair game for everyone at this point?

I think they're asking about the current cycle. For 2022, no IS applicants afaik received a scholarship. For 2023, many of your classmates did.
Got a buddy that got in for class of 2024, offered dean's.

Got accepted on Monday 2:30 PST, do we have to take any action before January 2nd? And is there a FB group?

Got accepted on Monday 2:30 PST, do we have to take any action before January 2nd? And is there a FB group?
One was made in the DAT Bootcamp Admissions Facebook page. You can take a look there!

Lately, I've been seeing people mention that UCLA is clinically on the weaker side. Personally, I'm not worried but would love it if some current dental students could chime in. Is there a little bit of truth to this or is it a myth? Is UCLA doing anything to make their clinical program stronger?

Lately, I've been seeing people mention that UCLA is clinically on the weaker side. Personally, I'm not worried but would love it if some current dental students could chime in. Is there a little bit of truth to this or is it a myth? Is UCLA doing anything to make their clinical program stronger?
I think it's mostly because so many people from each class specialize. I don't think you can come out 100% confident to do every procedure after any dental school, it's up to you to focus on your weaknesses and improve on them because the resources are definitely there. And also, many recent grads have said that a lot of their learning came the first year or two outside of school.

As for UCLA, there have been changes starting with my class, to get us into clinic a little sooner than the other classes, and even more of a push with the 2023 class. The curriculum and order in which classes are taken are being changed around for the school to enable this push. For comparison, 2022 didn't start drilling with a handpiece until Winter 2019 (our second quarter), whereas 2023 started drilling Fall 2019, about midway or so through their first quarter. C/O 2021 had dentures in Fall, Winter, & Spring of their second year (I believe), but C/O 2022 had dentures in Summer, Fall, and only a few weeks of Winter of our second year. All of which are small changes that have a cascading effect and are definitely making a huge impact on how much time we spend in clinic.

Outside of school clinic, there have been plans to expand our Community Based Clinical Education program (CBCE) from its normal 2 (?) weeks to either 4 or 8 (can't remember exactly, but it will probably be in place by the time you are a 3rd year!)

These are my thoughts on it, but I could be completely clueless/not being sensible rn due to finals next week! Take it with a grain of salt lol

Reactions: 2 users
Our class (2023) was told that our Community Based Clinical Education program will last at least 2 months (4 weeks at a time). The school will pay for our transportation and stay during that time. The program has so many locations available too, even outside CA.
There's also a program where if your patients can't afford a specific treatment, the school has funds to cover their needs.
Our new Dean is putting a lot of emphasis in community service and clinic opportunities, in addition to our strong science curriculum. Best of both worlds in my opinion ;)

Is there anywhere we can find the match rates info for UCLA?

Hey guys. Please do not come to this school! Someone told me this when I was applying, and I did not listen. I now regret it this decision as do a number of my classmates.

You are likely highly intelligent individuals and the only thing this school will do for you is increase your chances of getting into a specialty program. That being said, a majority of the faculty do NOT treat the students in a manner that would indicate that they care.
-Clinic space is incredibly tight - you hardly have room to sit at your own cubicle's chair comfortably. It's also just chaotic and disorganized.
-After many attempts by students, the school refuses to improve technological resources for students.
-A majority of the classrooms do not have outlets to plug in your laptop/ipad.
-A majority of the selectives are only taught by students, not faculty. Compared to other schools, the selectives offered at UCLA are subpar.
-The new dean is making improvements but I do not feel that enough have yet been implemented for it to benefit you all.
-There are a number of No Passes in every class. The school does think this is okay. One of my classes had 12 No passes!

I can tell you in regard to the NBDE Part 1 (I know they are changing it for you all), the school did not even really mention the exam to my class. The reason we knew details about the test, how to schedule, and the best ways to prepare was because of the cohorts/classes who will graduate before us.

Feel free to message me with any questions you may have.
Regardless, congrats on getting into dental school!!

Just going to preface this with the fact that there are cons at every and any school.
- Cubicles are tight, yes, because our brand new chairs are a lot bigger than the old ones, but you're still able to do what you need to. Personally don't think this is a huge deal, although it is an inconvenience.
- False, 2022 and 2023 have had a bunch more technology implemented within our curriculum. 2022 was the first class to use digital scanners from the very start, to check our waxups and our preps.
- There are some classrooms that have outlets at every seat, and others that only have about 4 to a room (especially 13041, which you should've toured during your interview!) It sucks, but also I haven't found it to be a huge inconvenience because I think more people charge their devices the night before anyway...
- A majority are taught by students yes, but there are some taught by faculty as well. I think this is a pro because students can get real teaching experience which is huge, as they are left to manage basically every part of the selective from start to finish.
- I think by the time 2024 starts, there will have been more changes. There's still quite a few months to go, and your first year is honestly just mostly didactic material anyway.
- Yes there are, just like there are in undergrad classes. The amount of effort you put into the class reflects how you do. There are NPs in every class, but it's because of scoring below 75/70 (whatever the threshold to pass is). It's not the school's fault. Also, while NPs suck, they're not the end of the world as you remediate, usually with a comprehensive exam.

Again, there are pros and cons at every school. I think for the prestige, faculty, price, and location, UCLA is a great school, but a lot of the learning comes from you, didactically and clinically. Hope that helped :)

Reactions: 5 users
I completely agree with Artist. So far, I'm very happy with my decision to attend UCLA :)

Reactions: 1 users
Some quick questions to the UCLA students (thanks for the Q&A)

1. How helpful have you found the digital scanners to be? Are they easily accessible and shared well among the students?

2. Is the expansion of the community outreach program set in stone? It sounds like a real game changer in developing clinical skills if so.

3. Are there any other expansions of community service opportunities under the new dean?

4. Would you say the high match rates are largely a product of the students here already being competitive enough to be admitted into UCLA or are there unique aspects of the program that facilitate specialization?

1. How helpful have you found the digital scanners to be? Are they easily accessible and shared well among the students?
--> Accessibility is not an issue as we have quite a few of them, but they are pricey so it's not like there is one for every student. It's more like 1 per every 7-10 students BUT scanning goes so quick that it doesn't really matter too much in the long run. They're really quite helpful, especially in the very beginning when you're learning how to wax and drill because you're able to clearly see where things are too high/low or deep/shallow. For waxups, you compare it to a virgin typodont tooth, and for preps, you compare it to a prep drilled by the course chair that is ideal/what they're looking for.

2. Is the expansion of the community outreach program set in stone? It sounds like a real game changer in developing clinical skills if so.
Not sure it's set in stone yet as it's a big change that takes a while to implement, but with it being 3+ years from the time you guys will be in the spot to participate, there's a good chance it'll be happening by then. We have the funding, I think it's just the logistics that need to be worked out at these different sites.

3. Are there any other expansions of community service opportunities under the new dean?
CBCE is through the school I'd say, so that's probably the only (?) thing that the Dean would make changes to, but in regards to community service opportunities, there. are. so. many. But like I said earlier, everything depends on how much you put into it. If you want to do those events, the opportunities are there. There are tons of OHI events at schools and health fairs where you can place sealants on children, you can do CDA Cares every year, you can go overseas for a week to places like Jamaica and Guatemala and others, etc. Most of these events are through the various study clubs we have on campus, and there is something to do almost every week.

4. Would you say the high match rates are largely a product of the students here already being competitive enough to be admitted into UCLA or are there unique aspects of the program that facilitate specialization?
Question is probably best to be asked to a 4th year but personally I think it's both. It's (again) how much you put into the program, but the school helps as well. One big thing are our study clubs, some of which give you hands on experience with a variety of topics and host different lecturers and organize tours, etc. Another big thing are our research opportunities - there are many research labs you can join and work in. There are also conferences to present at, and you're likely to have publications depending on how much effort you put in. Programs know that students from UCLA are extremely smart and academically competent, but they want to see what you've done outside of academics, and we have many opportunities that you'll be able to showcase on your app!

Hope that helps. Word of caution, I am a naive 2nd year that is just trying to finish our hardest year strong lol. These are my thoughts/opinions and the school shouldn't be held liable to any of it!

Reactions: 1 users
Here is a facebook group for accepted C/O 2024 UCLA dental students! Congrats to everybody!

Thanks for the informative post! I'm fortunate to have been accepted to UCLA this cycle and I am beyond grateful. I just have a question though -I am from the LA area, but have not yet received a physical letter in the mail. Since we are over a week past acceptance day, I don't know if they send physical letters or not. If anyone has more info on this, let me know please! I'd like to have that memento to keep. Thank you :)

Thanks for the informative post! I'm fortunate to have been accepted to UCLA this cycle and I am beyond grateful. I just have a question though -I am from the LA area, but have not yet received a physical letter in the mail. Since we are over a week past acceptance day, I don't know if they send physical letters or not. If anyone has more info on this, let me know please! I'd like to have that memento to keep. Thank you :)
Yes they do, but I didn't get mine for a while.... USPS is slow sometimes! I'm not far from the school so I thought I'd be getting it really quickly, but I don't think I got it for like 2-3 weeks after decision day 12/1!

can any students or anyone else who had an "ALTERNATE LIST INTERVIEW" after december 2nd weigh in on what this means and how likely it is that you could be selected from it?

can any students or anyone else who had an "ALTERNATE LIST INTERVIEW" after december 2nd weigh in on what this means and how likely it is that you could be selected from it?
I think it's something new because I haven't heard of UCLA doing that before. It essentially just means you're interviewing for a spot on the waitlist, not for a spot in the class (maybe the class is full?). I think the better you do, the higher you may be ranked on the waitlist? (but I'm not sure if it's a ranked waitlist...). I also don't know likely it is to be accepted off the waitlist... Either way, just treat it as a regular interview and do your best.

I think it's something new because I haven't heard of UCLA doing that before. It essentially just means you're interviewing for a spot on the waitlist, not for a spot in the class (maybe the class is full?). I think the better you do, the higher you may be ranked on the waitlist? (but I'm not sure if it's a ranked waitlist...). I also don't know likely it is to be accepted off the waitlist... Either way, just treat it as a regular interview and do your best.
Isn’t it a little strange to interview someone for only a waitlist spot? What about those that were waitlisted from pre dec 2 interviews?

Isn’t it a little strange to interview someone for only a waitlist spot? What about those that were waitlisted from pre dec 2 interviews?
There are other schools that also interview people for a spot on the waitlist. From this interview, I think you will either be waitlisted or rejected, so the waitlisted people from pre-dec interviews and the waitlisted people from these post-dec interviews will all be put into a pool (likely ranked) for the school to draw from if a seat in the class opens up.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered. Are there still interviews?

my status on aadsas is still application complete, is that mean anything? is that mean they dont even review our application? Thank you.

my status on aadsas is still application complete, is that mean anything? is that mean they dont even review our application? Thank you.
No idea, but I wouldn't count on AADSAS' status for any school really... Always use direct communication with a school to see where you are in the application cycle.

No idea, but I wouldn't count on AADSAS' status for any school really... Always use direct communication with a school to see where you are in the application cycle.
Thank you very much, I sent an email in and they told me that they dont use AADSAS status. Thank u.