The OFFICIAL THREAD ~ OHIO STATE Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ultimatekooda said:
Anyone taking out private loans to have enough for the student budget (especially OOSers)?? If so, from which lender?

Apparently OSU hasn't decided whether or not they're going to allow students to get the Grad Plus (according to Sam Matheny they're in the process of deciding and won't know til maybe even the end of July).
What is the grad plus? I'm definitely going to need private loans, but I'm not sure who through yet....

Members don't see this ad.

olydoc2b said:
What is the grad plus? I'm definitely going to need private loans, but I'm not sure who through yet....

The Grad Plus is the new federal loan that comes out July 1 of this year. It has a fixed interest rate of 8.5% so people were saying it might be better in the long run to get this one instead of private loans, whose rates are variable. However, since OSU right now is part of that FDLP program (or some acronym I can't remember exactly), we apparently aren't eligible for this particular fed loan. I think it has something to do with the fact that we get our Staffords directly from the Dept of Education rather than choosing a private lender ti disburse them (notice how so many other thread topics on SDN relate to which lender to choose for Staffords--we were never given an option to do this).

That said, I actually applied and was approved for a CitiAssist Health Professions private loan with the lowest interest rate, but found out about the Grad Plus shortly after. My problem is that I have 20 days to sign this one, but OSU won't tell us til probably end of July (and even then, they might decide against it). I might get this private loan for the first year and if they choose to allow the Grad Plus, get it for the next 3 years...

Anyone else have insight?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our football group looks pretty small. Come on guys - order tickets. Football games in the 'shoe might be the best thing about going to OSU. AND the Michigan game is at home this year.

ultimatekooda said:
The Grad Plus is the new federal loan that comes out July 1 of this year. It has a fixed interest rate of 8.5% so people were saying it might be better in the long run to get this one instead of private loans, whose rates are variable. However, since OSU right now is part of that FDLP program (or some acronym I can't remember exactly), we apparently aren't eligible for this particular fed loan. I think it has something to do with the fact that we get our Staffords directly from the Dept of Education rather than choosing a private lender ti disburse them (notice how so many other thread topics on SDN relate to which lender to choose for Staffords--we were never given an option to do this).

That said, I actually applied and was approved for a CitiAssist Health Professions private loan with the lowest interest rate, but found out about the Grad Plus shortly after. My problem is that I have 20 days to sign this one, but OSU won't tell us til probably end of July (and even then, they might decide against it). I might get this private loan for the first year and if they choose to allow the Grad Plus, get it for the next 3 years...

Anyone else have insight?

I went with CitiAssist too, their plan seemed good. I don't know much about Grad Plus, but I'm instate so I figure a couple of percentage points either way won't make that much difference with a relatively small amount of money. End of July is definitely too late to be choosing a plan if you want to get the money by the time we start in August.

bamf7 said:
Our football group looks pretty small. Come on guys - order tickets. Football games in the 'shoe might be the best thing about going to OSU. AND the Michigan game is at home this year.

Just something to consider - typically the smaller your group is, the better seats you are likely to get. I bought two season tickets last year (myself and a spouse ticket) as an incoming med 1 and we had AWESOME seats. As long as you have a few seats together with classmates, you should be set.

Hmm I'm not sure what to think of the e-mail addys they give. No room for input, but if it's standard then maybe it's okay. I still find numbers impersonal

Shredder said:
Hmm I'm not sure what to think of the e-mail addys they give. No room for input, but if it's standard then maybe it's okay. I still find numbers impersonal

Yeah, not too thrilled with the number either...but are we going to get one with a osumc.edu domain? I've seen those, maybe as a forwarding thing to the osu.edu one?

Interesting...I may just stick with osu.edu since it's short. It's cumbersome having to relay many-syllabled e-mail addys to others, not to mention writing them. My current is @mail.utexas.edu and I've had about enough of that. But that name.number doesn't help much either

Shredder said:
Interesting...I may just stick with osu.edu since it's short. It's cumbersome having to relay many-syllabled e-mail addys to others, not to mention writing them. My current is @mail.utexas.edu and I've had about enough of that. But that name.number doesn't help much either

So the big question is: what color will you be wearing September 9th?

Are you going back to Dallas for the game?

Shredder said:
How did you get an email address? As far as I can tell they haven't given me one yet..

Check post 307 and you fill out some things to get one

Members don't see this ad :)
Shredder said:
Check post 307 and you fill out some things to get one
ew. that email address sucks. I wonder if we can go back and just use an outside email instead..

angietron3000 said:
ew. that email address sucks. I wonder if we can go back and just use an outside email instead..

The name.# is your official e-mail ID for OSU web based stuff. You will be assigned a [email protected] during orientation with a login for the med center which consists of the first four letters of your last name and a two digit number (so if you are the first person with your first four letters your number is 01). So - SMIT66.

They will automatically forward your osu.edu e-mail to your osumc.edu e-mail sometime the first week of classes. You will still need your name.# to access your accounts, financial aid info, register for classes, etc via the main OSU page. Pretty sure that they will only send official communication to your osumc.edu address and not let you use outside e-mails.

peetie said:
So the big question is: what color will you be wearing September 9th?

Are you going back to Dallas for the game?
Oh haha all my friends ask me that. I'm not into football, even here. I'll probably just fairweather it, what can I say. Almost certain I won't go to Dallas for the game, as that's something I haven't even done here. I think ppl tend to support their college almas most though. It would be fun to sport orange and irk ppl, but it's better for the school to win.

Good thing you mentioned those e-mail things in the post above, so I won't jump the gun and start distributing that unsightly address. Changing addresses is a pain :( but firstname.last sounds cool.

Shredder said:
Oh haha all my friends ask me that. I'm not into football, even here. I'll probably just fairweather it, what can I say. Almost certain I won't go to Dallas for the game, as that's something I haven't even done here. I think ppl tend to support their college almas most though. It would be fun to sport orange and irk ppl, but it's better for the school to win.

Good thing you mentioned those e-mail things in the post above, so I won't jump the gun and start distributing that unsightly address. Changing addresses is a pain :( but firstname.last sounds cool.
If you go to OSU, you love the Buckeyes. Simple as that. ;)

bamf7 said:
If you go to OSU, you love the Buckeyes. Simple as that. ;)

What about basketball games? Are those tickets easy for students to get? I don't care much about football, but I am psyched about the bball prospects this year.

FutureDrKt said:
I don't care much about football

Careful - your safety while on campus may be jeopardized if you are heard muttering those words in public, especially on the 18th of November. :laugh:

Hey guys! I'm going to be on board with the football tickets. For some reason, hangonsloopy.com won't recognize my SSN, and I'll have to get that straightened out with the registrar on Monday. Wow, less than two months until we start classes :scared: .

I've got a question for the out-of-staters about getting Ohio residency. The residency FAQ says that to qualify for in-state tuition, "(1)The student is expected to live in Ohio for a full, 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the quarter for which they are applying for residency."

My question is this: Does the Autumn Quarter officially begin for us on the first day of classes? The Academic Calendar doesn't make this clear. The literature also says that the applications for Ohio residency would have to be turned in during the first week of July (2007 for us). This doesn't mean we should have spent 12 months in Ohio by then, does it? That is, if we wait until early August to move to Columbus, we won't be SOL when it comes to getting resident tuition for the Autumn Quarter of Med II, right? I imagine the residency counselor would have told me this when I called a couple of weeks ago, but I just wanted to see if anyone knows how this works before I call back next week.

Dr. Giggles said:
Hey guys! I'm going to be on board with the football tickets. For some reason, hangonsloopy.com won't recognize my SSN, and I'll have to get that straightened out with the registrar on Monday. Wow, less than two months until we start classes :scared: .

I've got a question for the out-of-staters about getting Ohio residency. The residency FAQ says that to qualify for in-state tuition, "(1)The student is expected to live in Ohio for a full, 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the quarter for which they are applying for residency."

My question is this: Does the Autumn Quarter officially begin for us on the first day of classes? The Academic Calendar doesn't make this clear. The literature also says that the applications for Ohio residency would have to be turned in during the first week of July (2007 for us). This doesn't mean we should have spent 12 months in Ohio by then, does it? That is, if we wait until early August to move to Columbus, we won't be SOL when it comes to getting resident tuition for the Autumn Quarter of Med II, right? I imagine the residency counselor would have told me this when I called a couple of weeks ago, but I just wanted to see if anyone knows how this works before I call back next week.

I can't speak to that officially, but I really don't think they're trying to screw us out of another 16K. I talked to someone in FinAid and they said that they work with everyone to get them instate 2nd year to the degree that they don't even calculate OOS tuition 2nd year. Not to say don't check into it, but I really wouldn't sweat it. I'm not, at least. I'm not going to be there until august either - if we are screwed, at least there'll be company.

shiraz84 said:
Careful - your safety while on campus may be jeopardized if you are heard muttering those words in public, especially on the 18th of November. :laugh:
Haha, point taken- what I meant was GO BUCKS!

I have some questions for anyone living in Columbus now...

My fiance and I are moving to Columbus soon, and we want to buy our larger furniture in the city, because we have no place to store it right now. We need a couch, a washer and dryer, and maybe a small dinette set too. Are there any cheap places we can shop in Columbus? We've found some great places in the city we live in now (especially furniture from Ikea) but it's just not possible for us to buy before we move. I'm so afraid we won't find a good price once we move though...and money is TIGHT because we are in the middle of paying for wedding stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't really find anything by doing searches online.

Thanks so much!

Sigh, anyone else waiting on housing app results?

My fiance and I are moving to Columbus soon, and we want to buy our larger furniture in the city, because we have no place to store it right now. We need a couch, a washer and dryer, and maybe a small dinette set too. Are there any cheap places we can shop in Columbus? We've found some great places in the city we live in now (especially furniture from Ikea) but it's just not possible for us to buy before we move. I'm so afraid we won't find a good price once we move though...and money is TIGHT because we are in the middle of paying for wedding stuff.

big lots furniture

as for the washer and dryer...probably best buy

doublebuckeye said:
big lots furniture

as for the washer and dryer...probably best buy

Try Appliance Smart. They have really low prices on merchandise that perhaps is scratched on the side. But let's face it, who sees the side of an appliance! It's a great place to look!

Thanks for the suggestions :) I hadn't heard of Appliance Smart, I'll check that out

Has anyone been to the JC Penny furniture outlet? I was going to see if they had any good deals on couches.

Katya00 said:
Thanks for the suggestions :) I hadn't heard of Appliance Smart, I'll check that out

Has anyone been to the JC Penny furniture outlet? I was going to see if they had any good deals on couches.

There CAN be some good deals at the JC Penney outlets. However, the selection is kind of hit and miss as it is mostly returns and overstocks. Worth taking a look at least. You can also try Value City. Not the highest quality furniture in the world, but probably a little more selection than Penney's.

I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do with the laptop situation. How many of you guys are going to go with the school's computer and who is going to buy their own? I want a computer that's going to last me for a while...any suggestions from the "computer nerds"??

i'm definitely getting my own computer. the school's computer is too expensive for outdated technology (pentium M)

you can get a core duo processor tablet for under 1800 dollars at gateway or HP.

doublebuckeye said:
i'm definitely getting my own computer. the school's computer is too expensive for outdated technology (pentium M)

you can get a core duo processor tablet for under 1800 dollars at gateway or HP.
Are ours $1800?

yep. automatically added to your tuition unless you email them by july 20 letting them know you have purchased another/have a laptop that meets their guidelines.

Currently I have a Dell Inspiron (which I strongly dislike) and am pretty psyched about getting a tablet. I have spent several hours trying to figure out what I should do . . . get my Dell certified and wait for the Core Duo and Vista? or just stick with the Lenovo x41 they give us?

I've been looking into it and I can't find anything more substantial than a rumor on the blogs that the Lenovo 60 series tablet with a core duo is going to be out by November, and obviously Vista not till January (does anyone think our x41s could support the Vista OS?) I'm not really a gamer, but I want something very lightweight and portable, and probably a convertible -- but something that won't be hugely expensive (which is what I'm worried about waiting for the new Lenovo w/ Vista). Any thoughts or helpful ideas? Thanks :)

Emergency! said:
There CAN be some good deals at the JC Penney outlets. However, the selection is kind of hit and miss as it is mostly returns and overstocks. Worth taking a look at least. You can also try Value City. Not the highest quality furniture in the world, but probably a little more selection than Penney's.

Sofa Express has an outlet store in Reynoldsburg. They have some pretty good deals on furnature that was returned or slightly damaged...might be a good place to look. I got a great couch there for a very reasonable price.

Sorry for imposing on your thread (congrats to all of you who are in, btw), but I've got some confusion about how OSU determines your state of residence. I'm a sophomore in college so I'm just looking at schools for now, but if I would end up getting in to OSU, that in-state tuition after a year would definitely be nice. How do they determine who gets Ohio residency? My boyfriend is an Ohio resident, and we're planning on getting married before I start med school, so if I'm married to an Ohio resident when I matriculate, does that automatically make me a resident too? If not, will it help me qualify for residency as a med student? ::confused::

alitheia said:
Sorry for imposing on your thread (congrats to all of you who are in, btw), but I've got some confusion about how OSU determines your state of residence. I'm a sophomore in college so I'm just looking at schools for now, but if I would end up getting in to OSU, that in-state tuition after a year would definitely be nice. How do they determine who gets Ohio residency? My boyfriend is an Ohio resident, and we're planning on getting married before I start med school, so if I'm married to an Ohio resident when I matriculate, does that automatically make me a resident too? If not, will it help me qualify for residency as a med student? ::confused::

This is far from a complete answer, but you should know there is a difference between being in-state for purposes of admissions versus for tuition. When you apply through AMCAS, you can indicate only one state of residence. Being a state resident is a big advantage in gaining an acceptance.

Also for what's it's worth, you might want to post questions like this in the pre-med forum. It's been about a year since we've all filled out AMCAS and the OSU secondary. I don't even remember if they asked about residency on the OSU secondary. I bet the pre-meds have their finger on the pulse of these things. If I were you, however, I'd just ask the OSU admissions office, if OSU is where you most want to go. Good luck!

alitheia said:

If you are married to an Ohio resident OR your spouse who is moving to Ohio with you has a full-time job, you will qualify for residency your first year of med school. Nearly everybody else is considered as an Ohio resident by the second year (in fact, OSU doesn't even prepare an out-of-state budget). However, as mentioned above, it will be greatly to your advantage if you can manage to be an Ohio resident when you apply. Of the 4000+ applications OSU received last year, ~3000 of them were from out-of-state. I'm not sure what the breakdown is on interviews, but a relatively small percentage of out-of-state applicants get interviews compared to in-state. Also, as a whole, the out-of-state applicants tend to need higher GPA's, MCATs and etc. to even get interviews.

I don't actually remember getting any clear-cut info about in-state vs. out-state until the interview day...but that might be because I'm in-state, so I never asked (or paid attention, ha). My advice is to either read through their website closely, and if you can't find any info (or are confused) just call the admissions people. During the interview day they went through it in detail though, and gave us hand-outs and stuff about it. It seems like a great deal for out-of-staters, and I don't think it's too common.

OSU's web site states that competitiveness is considered without regard to residency. The acceptance rates (17.9% vs. 6.8%) tell another tale though. Still, for a public school, OSU is about as good as it gets for nonresidents.

If you are still looking for a place to live in Columbus, want a NICE 2 bedroom apartment that's not too expensive, PM me:)

(also, it's really EASY to get in state residency after your first year. i haven't heard of anyone who hasnt gotten it. i did it and it was no problem at all)

Really? Everyone says that but I looked at the criteria and they seemed somewhat stringent. Especially with regard to finances. It seems hard to convince anyone that one is not only doing it for the tuition benefits.

I found out I'm going to be in Neil. Anyone else? They mailed out housing contracts recently.

unless it's changed in the past few years, it was really easy for me to get instate status after my first year.
i just had to fill out this form that had a list of my expenses and how i met those expenses. my loans covered all of my expenses (you can fudge the numbers a little bit - they dont look at receipts or anything) and i registered to vote here and i got an OH driver's liscence, and that took care of it.
though, i stressed about it too ... it seems harder than it is.
but everyone i know from out of state has been enjoying instate status since med2:)

Shredder said:
Really? Everyone says that but I looked at the criteria and they seemed somewhat stringent. Especially with regard to finances. It seems hard to convince anyone that one is not only doing it for the tuition benefits.

I found out I'm going to be in Neil. Anyone else? They mailed out housing contracts recently.

If I remember correctly, they also emphasized not to have someone outside of Ohio cosign your apartment lease when I was there for the interview.

Do we really have to have all of the medical forms in by July 1? I just downloaded the health checklist, not sure I can get in for a full physical by this weekend :eek:

angietron3000 said:
Do we really have to have all of the medical forms in by July 1? I just downloaded the health checklist, not sure I can get in for a full physical by this weekend :eek:

Angie -

You should be fine. I know several people last year who didn't have all of their health requirements complete until after the start of the year. Especially for the Hepatitis B series, several people waited until they were on campus, so that they could get the entire series done at the health center.

If you're really worried about it, just give the admissions office a call and let them know that you weren't able to get an appointment scheduled until X date. I doubt they will be that concerned.

Emergency! said:
I know several people last year who didn't have all of their health requirements complete until after the start of the year. Especially for the Hepatitis B series

I know someone who is just now finishing her Hep B series. As Emergency! said, you'll be fine as long as you stay in touch with admissions.

For Hep B you're only supposed to have the first part done by July 1. But there are 2 TB tests that are supposed to be done 1-4 weeks apart too

I went to the admissions office today and asked about the health form. The lady told me that we have until the end of July. No worries everyone.