The OFFICIAL THREAD ~ OHIO STATE Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FutureDrKt said:
Oh jeez, tablets scare me. I just cannot fathom that I would be good at writing on a computer screen and manipulating all that hardcore technology. Oh well, guess I'll have to learn. Oh does anyone in the class of 2009 know when we get the laptops? I'm going to need to practice using this thing...

Actually, the tablets should be really cool. Everybody I know who has one absolutely loves them. The big advantage is that if you've got a powerpoint or PDF that the lecturer is using on your tablet, you can WRITE notes on the file in the computer instead of having to print out the lecture notes. I was just talking to one of the anatomy profs the other day and he was talking about how he's become a convert on the tablet issue - and he said he was very skeptical originally. Hm . . . I wonder if IT will let me order a tablet with you guys. ;)

You should get your laptops/tablets during orientation. I'm thinking we got ours on Thursday last year. That will give you the weekend to play with it. I'm sure IT will probably do at least a brief tutorial on using them.

Members don't see this ad.

doublebuckeye said:
i lived at the neil building my sophomore year as a transfer student. nice building and quiet, but not worth the money IMO. an apartment complex off campus would be cheaper.

as for parking, get a west campus pass for 70 bucks and take the bus into campus everyday. south campus loop. ~10 min. to the med school from the west campus lots via bus.

the meal plans are ridiculous too. go krogering and make your food and it'll be cheaper.

I tend to agree about the cost - but, for someone coming from out of state, I'm sure campus housing the first year makes life a lot easier in terms of housing. The friend who sent me the info above is the exception to staying in the neil building, I think. Most of the people who have lived their first year end up moving off campus to someplace cheaper.

I don't know if I totally agree on saving the $$$ on parking by buying a west campus pass. If you get to campus in time to find a spot in the C lot, its well worth it. Without fail, I ALWAYS just miss the bus I need. It took me 1/2 hour the other day to get from meiling to west campus (15 minutes waiting for the bus and an exceptionally slow ride to WC). Even though I often park at West Campus because of the time I get to campus, I'm glad I have the C pass.

Here's a west campus story for you . . . when I parked at west campus for the first time ever, I wasn't really paying attention to my surroundings and didn't notice that there were two bus stops in the big lot. So - when I returned to the lot at the end of the day, I got off at the first bus stop in the lot. Spent about 1/2 hour looking for my car and was about to call the police and report it stolen before I realized that there was a bus stop on the other end of the lot and THAT was the end my car was parked at! :oops:

xtracrispy said:
I spoke with the director and I found out that this year, they are offering students Lenovo's X41 tablet pc!

I'm a big fan of the move to tablet PCs and I almost bought one a couple years ago when they first came out. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but I have a concern with the outdated hardware. The X41 tablet maxes out at a 1.6GHz Pentium M, which is 2 year old technology. Strangely, the specs on the new tablet are actually lower than the minimum requirements that IT requires for students bringing in their own laptops (1.7GHz).

Rumor has it that there will be a new X61 tablet in the near future with the new Intel Core Duo processor which is shown to be a big step forward in performance. Supposedly, it should have been released earlier this month but it still has yet to drop and is likely being delayed for awhile. Given the timeline of certifying a new model, ordering 200-some laptops and getting them in time for the start of class, I don't think there is a chance that we get the new ones. With the semi-soon to launch Windows Vista likely requiring generous amounts of computing power, I am thinking these tablets are going to be pretty limited for the future. Definitely not OSU's fault, but somewhat disappointing nontheless. Maybe IT will let those of us w/ marginally low-end laptops (like my 1.4Ghz) slide for awhile and get the new tablet when it finally comes out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wooohooo, just got off the waitlist!!!!! I'm going to be a Buckeye!!!!

I'm going to catch up on my reading here soon, but I'll go ahead and introduce myself. I'm Logan from North Carolina (Go Heels!), and I'll be seeing you guys later in the summer! :D

Dr. Giggles said:

I'm going to catch up on my reading here soon, but I'll go ahead and introduce myself. I'm Logan from North Carolina (Go Heels!), and I'll be seeing you guys later in the summer! :D

Congrats and welcome to the group!

By the way, is that Greg Oden as your avatar? That dude is gonna be a monster.

Dr. Giggles said:

Welcome!

I don't know if I totally agree on saving the $$$ on parking by buying a west campus pass. If you get to campus in time to find a spot in the C lot, its well worth it.

I had the C pass one year and HATED dealing with the "sharks." I refer to the people who sit around in the parking lot until a space frees up as "sharks." They circle around and follow people to their cars "smelling blood in the water." I swear some people drive to campus just to park, since they would be there forever just circling. I always wondered if these people had anywhere to be. If you go to campus between 10 AM and 1PM, it's impossible to find a spot without waiting for at least 15 minutes and being a shark. I refuse to sink to that level. The WC lot ended up being faster because i could always find a quick spot and the buses were always right there to take me to class.

doublebuckeye said:
I had the C pass one year and HATED dealing with the "sharks." I refer to the people who sit around in the parking lot until a space frees up as "sharks." They circle around and follow people to their cars "smelling blood in the water." I swear some people drive to campus just to park, since they would be there forever just circling. I always wondered if these people had anywhere to be. If you go to campus between 10 AM and 1PM, it's impossible to find a spot without waiting for at least 15 minutes and being a shark. I refuse to sink to that level. The WC lot ended up being faster because i could always find a quick spot and the buses were always right there to take me to class.

Those people are annoying. I always end up thinking my car is in a different isle than it actually is....that tends to mess them up. I think its only going to get worse too, once they pave that lot more people are going to want to park there. Seems to me the best parking solution would be to bring back the medical center express bus route. (That and by all rights we should have access to B passes....like all the other grad students on campus...)

My progression is Dirt lot --->stadium....never been unable to find a stadium spot. Occasionally i'll pay the fee and just go to the garage. What is tempting, although I havent tried it, would be to go to the hospital valet. They end up putting your car in the same garage, but for a lower fee ($4? vs about $7 for 6 hours. Just cant bring myself to do it...

Tbuiumich said:
Rumor has it that there will be a new X61 tablet in the near future with the new Intel Core Duo processor which is shown to be a big step forward in performance. Given the timeline of certifying a new model, ordering 200-some laptops and getting them in time for the start of class, I don't think there is a chance that we get the new ones. With the semi-soon to launch Windows Vista likely requiring generous amounts of computing power, I am thinking these tablets are going to be pretty limited for the future.

It's too bad that we won't be getting a duo core notebook but I think we'll be alright without it. Windows Vista is coming out with 5 editions. I'm sure these tablets will be able to run the Basic edition. They just won't be able to handle Aero and run a visually stunning Windows. I can live with that. I mean, it would be cool to run Aero but it is by no means a necessity.

Tbuiumich said:
Congrats and welcome to the group!

By the way, is that Greg Oden as your avatar? That dude is gonna be a monster.

Damn straight :) . Let's hope we can keep him for more than one season (wishful thinking, I know). Thad is seriously reeling these boys in!

Just a quick question for you guys. Is printing free on campus? After dealing with four broken printers in college, I've sworn off buying another, if I can help it!

xtracrispy said:
It's too bad that we won't be getting a duo core notebook but I think we'll be alright without it. Windows Vista is coming out with 5 editions. I'm sure these tablets will be able to run the Basic edition. They just won't be able to handle Aero and run a visually stunning Windows. I can live with that. I mean, it would be cool to run Aero but it is by no means a necessity.

I agree, not being able to run Vista w/ Aero is not a big deal. But sticking to just operating system and application performance, when was the last time Microsoft made a more efficient product over the one it was replacing? I don't even like running XP on my 1.4GHz laptop w/ 768MB of RAM. Also, don't forget that the Pentium M's downthrottle to almost half-speed when running on battery power. That puts it dangerously close to the 800MHz minimum requirement to run Vista Basic (which is wishful thinking and being criticized by almost all tech editors) and I think most people will agree the minimum requirement equals bad performance all around.

Couple that w/ the 1GB RAM limit (which is also shared w/ the integrated graphics processor) and I would predict weak performance especially if you try running the new Powerpoint for lectures, OneNote for handwriting recognition and anything in the background. This is where the Core Duo benefit would be huge because one "processor" would handle Powerpoint and the other would handle OneNote.

If the laptops were truly free, I wouldn't care and would take the X41 no questions asked. However, even w/ the great OSU discount, the laptops will still cost us $1800 which can get you a nice Core Duo notebook that is more future-proof (not that anything in the computer industry is). Unfortunately we all kind of got stuck on the short end of a big transition period.

Dr. Giggles said:
After dealing with four broken printers in college, I've sworn off buying another, if I can help it!

Don't know about free printing on campus, but did you have inkjet or laser printers? I have had the same HP Laserjet 1210 for the past 5 years and it is still chugging away. They are much less prone to failure because the number of moving parts (i.e. the lack of a moving print head) is greatly reduced. If you broke 4 lasers, I'd be seriously impressed with the sheer volume of printing you must be doing.

With my recent posting record I think I've just officially established myself as the tech nerd of this board.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know a ton about computers but from what it sounds like, the X41 we'll be getting doesn't seem like the greatest for the money. I'm also not sure I NEED a tablet. Has anyone thought about customizing their own Thinkpad using the student discount at OSU and then just getting it approved? For some reason I have an issue with someone picking out a computer for me and me not having any say in the specs/features I want...

Isn't this still just rumor? Anyone know when we will find out for sure?

ultimatekooda said:
I don't know a ton about computers but from what it sounds like, the X41 we'll be getting doesn't seem like the greatest for the money. I'm also not sure I NEED a tablet. Has anyone thought about customizing their own Thinkpad using the student discount at OSU and then just getting it approved? For some reason I have an issue with someone picking out a computer for me and me not having any say in the specs/features I want...

That is what I am thinking of doing. I was hoping for the new X60 (ultraportable, non-tablet) with the Core Duo but it isn't available on the OSU Lenovo store yet. They still have the older X40 w/ the same Pentium M that is in the tablet. The T60 is promising if you don't mind a larger laptop w/ a 14" or 15" screen. As I have noticed and someone else mentioned earlier, the IT department is pretty slow to respond to e-mails so I am not sure exactly when we could start using that discount. Also, I think on the webpage from the orientation materials that addresses the computers it says that the deadline for getting computers certified is July 20th or so.

Tbuiumich said:
That is what I am thinking of doing. I was hoping for the new X60 (ultraportable, non-tablet) with the Core Duo but it isn't available on the OSU Lenovo store yet. They still have the older X40 w/ the same Pentium M that is in the tablet. The T60 is promising if you don't mind a larger laptop w/ a 14" or 15" screen. As I have noticed and someone else mentioned earlier, the IT department is pretty slow to respond to e-mails so I am not sure exactly when we could start using that discount. Also, I think on the webpage from the orientation materials that addresses the computers it says that the deadline for getting computers certified is July 20th or so.

Yeah, I am kind of interested in the Z60 (because of the widescreen) but just noticed that those also use the Pentium M...hmm.

Can anyone tell me how profs do the powerpoints? Like are they available before class to print out, or what? Are they given as coursepacks that you can take notes in during class? I guess that would help me decide whether or not I need the tablet.

As for the certification of your own laptop...I saw the July date too. How can you possibly get it approved by that time if you aren't from the area??

ultimatekooda said:
Yeah, I am kind of interested in the Z60 (because of the widescreen) but just noticed that those also use the Pentium M...hmm.

Can anyone tell me how profs do the powerpoints? Like are they available before class to print out, or what? Are they given as coursepacks that you can take notes in during class? I guess that would help me decide whether or not I need the tablet.

As for the certification of your own laptop...I saw the July date too. How can you possibly get it approved by that time if you aren't from the area??

All of the powerpoints are online. We also get a course packet with notes. Most of the time the notes are a typed outline. Occasionally the notes are just the slides.

Email the guy that checks the laptops, he should let you get it checked once you arrive if you let him know ahead of time. He just looks at the "about system" thing on the control panel and then says ok. No big deal, seems like a decent guy.

Dr. Giggles said:
Just a quick question for you guys. Is printing free on campus? After dealing with four broken printers in college, I've sworn off buying another, if I can help it!

I'm not sure about all of campus, but it is free in the computer lab on the 4th floor of the Prior Health Sciences library.

I think I asked this before, but did anyone else just receive the max fed sub/unsub loans and is planning to take the rest (ie, $20,000+ for OOSers) out using private lenders? I've gathered that OSU is one of those schools on the FDLP (William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan Program) program because we haven't had to choose a lender for our staffords. This also makes us not eligible to apply for the Grad Plus loan everyone is talking about...but maybe I'm wrong. Has anyone else researched the private lenders? I applied for a CitiAssist Health Professions Loan and was approved, but I'm wondering if anyone else has insight on which lender has the best rates, best repayment options, special discounts, etc. I'm concerned about the "variable interest rates" but the only one that seems to be fixed (at 8.5%) is the Grad Plus.

Thanks!

I just found this website which has a search feature for apartments. It's run by OSU, and they take feedback on landlords. You can search using a ton of different parameters, which is pretty sweet. Anyway, here it is.
http://offcampus.osu.edu/

Shredder said:
Isn't this still just rumor? Anyone know when we will find out for sure?

I received a call from IT today and they confirmed the X41 tablet. They also certified my older laptop so it sounds like the minimum requirements aren't strictly enforced so long as most of them are met.

shiraz84 said:
I'm not sure about all of campus, but it is free in the computer lab on the 4th floor of the Prior Health Sciences library.

Yep. Free for us there. Everywhere else on campus is 0.10/copy.

Just got accepted off the deferred list! I'll definitely be going to OSU next fall, so I should introduce myself. I'm Kanu living in Dayton, went to college at Case Western. Anything I should know in particular about going to OSU?

Oh, can someone tell me how to get season tickets for football and basketball? I hear the bball team is going to be sick this year...thanks and can't wait to see you guys!

ultimatekooda said:

So I had emailed Paul Becerra (the guy we're suppose to contact if we have any questions about getting our own laptops) a couple of weeks ago and he has recently replied.

Paul Becera says
"QUESTION:

How does this laptop compatibility analysis work? Do I have to send you my laptop or can I just tell you specs and model by July 31?

ANSWER:

eMail me the your laptop specs. They must meet or exceed the minimum requirements below.

I must get your info. By July 31 to qualify for the exemption.

...blah blah <insert requirements here>...
"

I'm guessing that you don't need to physically bring it to them. But I haven't tried it so I don't know if my assumtion is correct. Let me know if you find out.

It looks like Tbuiumich has gotten it certified. Did you bring your laptop in for certification or did you just send your specs? Thanks!

xtracrispy said:
It looks like Tbuiumich has gotten it certified. Did you bring your laptop in for certification or did you just send your specs? Thanks!

I simply talked to Paul over the phone and told him my specs. After the call he sent me an e-mail saying that I am exempt from the laptop program.

kanman75 said:
Oh, can someone tell me how to get season tickets for football and basketball? I hear the bball team is going to be sick this year...thanks and can't wait to see you guys!

Just a quick heads up, I just checked the website and we can now buy football season tickets for $151. Go to www.hangonsloopy.com

Hey guys, I never really use this thing. I have one career post. I'll be at OSU in August. I just ordered football tickets. We should set up a group.

Or else I'll be going to games all by my sad self lol.

Danny

DolphinsFan84 said:
Hey guys, I never really use this thing. I have one career post. I'll be at OSU in August. I just ordered football tickets. We should set up a group.

Or else I'll be going to games all by my sad self lol.

Danny

Hey guys,
I actually started a student seating group for 1st years, and for those of you who already bought your tickets, (I think) you can go back and join the group as long as it's before June 30. Anyway, just click "Join Group" under the ticket listing and the group name is OSU Med1 and the password is bucks Hope that helps... I also bought tix to the UC and Northern Illinois games so I encourage you guys all to do that too (since it'd be pretty depressing to be the only one there). Hope to add you guys to the group... Go Bucks!

Steve

BuckMD2010 said:
Hey guys,
I actually started a student seating group for 1st years, and for those of you who already bought your tickets, (I think) you can go back and join the group as long as it's before June 30. Anyway, just click "Join Group" under the ticket listing and the group name is OSU Med1 and the password is bucks Hope that helps... I also bought tix to the UC and Northern Illinois games so I encourage you guys all to do that too (since it'd be pretty depressing to be the only one there). Hope to add you guys to the group... Go Bucks!

Steve

Got your back with those pre-season games. Even though I haven't heard of either team, it doesn't matter. Football is FOOTBALL, y'dig?

Are you going to be one of my classmates?

peetie said:
Got your back with those pre-season games. Even though I haven't heard of either team, it doesn't matter. Football is FOOTBALL, y'dig?

I don't think I'm gonna make it to the two preseason games (it gets pricey.) But they should both be good. Cincinatti gave OSU a scare back in 2002 when the bucks won the championship.

N. Illinois is a pretty strong team out of the MAC (I think.) They're good for about one upset of a BCS-conference team just about every year.

Both should be good games.

Danny

BuckMD2010 said:
Hey guys,

Steve

Hey Steve,
You might want to send an email to our Orientation Coordinators (did you get that email from them yesterday?) about setting up that group...if you haven't already. That way our fellow classmates who aren't SDNers will know about the group thing, and can join too. Thanks for setting it up!

Does anyone know the minimum requirements for the laptops if we want to buy our own?

We have to have it approved by July 31?

Also, it seems the consensus in here is that the tablet we're being provided is ****ty/out of date?

Thanks for any help...I'd prefer to get my own laptop for cheaper than the 1800 but willl accept the school's if it's up to date and a good computer.

doublebuckeye said:
Does anyone know the minimum requirements for the laptops if we want to buy our own?

We have to have it approved by July 31?

According to the Student Technology page that is linked from the orientation materials site, the minimum specs are:

- Pentium M 1.70ghz
- 512 MB RAM
- 40 GB Hard Drive
- Microsoft Windows XP professional
- IEEE 802.11 a/b/g Wireless card
- McAfee Anti-Virus software

Hardware and software not recommended or not supported by the College at this time are:
- Linux or any Mac OS
- Norton’s Anti-Virus software or any other vendor’s anti-virus software

McAfee is provided as a free download from OIT so you won't have go out and buy a copy. Also, the deadline is July 20th.

BuckMD2010 said:
Hey guys,

Steve

I'd be down for the football group. Did you email the orientation guy? It would be nice to get a really big group together.

Tbuiumich said:
Also, the deadline is July 20th.

If you arent in Cbus by then, last year they allowed people to email before the deadline and actually show them the computer during orientation.

so is there an advantage in med school to having a tablet vs. a regular laptop?

apparently this X41 isn't a very good model?

Was anyone able to select anything besides South Stands for our football tickets? South Stands suck, but it looks like that is where we're going to be.

doublebuckeye said:

Dunno about tablet vs regular (except for writing directly on tablets), but I don't see much reason for the word going around expressing lack of confidence in the model. I like to think the people in charge of making the decision have decent judgment, no? Otherwise it would be a harbinger of other things to come. Usually top of the line models are overpriced, even if older ones aren't as schnazzy.

bamf7 said:
Was anyone able to select anything besides South Stands for our football tickets? South Stands suck, but it looks like that is where we're going to be.

South Stands was the only option for me as well but I guess that is the price we pay for being the new guys.

doublebuckeye said:

Shredder said:
Dunno about tablet vs regular (except for writing directly on tablets), but I don't see much reason for the word going around expressing lack of confidence in the model. I like to think the people in charge of making the decision have decent judgment, no? Otherwise it would be a harbinger of other things to come. Usually top of the line models are overpriced, even if older ones aren't as schnazzy.

Tablets are very convenient for taking notes and I can see it being very beneficial in a diagram- and figure-oriented field of study like medicine.

As for the quality of the X41, it really comes down to a question of longevity. The design of the PC itself is fantastic. I have an older X-series laptop and I really like it. It is small, lightweight and the Lenovo/IBM keyboards are fantastic for a laptop. The screen is ok, although tablets generally have dimmer screens due to the touch screen technology but it likely won't be a problem.

The big disadvantage I see is the choice in processor and how well it will hold up in the very near future. A 1.6GHz Pentium M is old technology (> 2yrs) and has already been replaced by the Core Duo. From what I have read on various websites & forums is that the X41 is already a bit slow (not surprising given the processor) and that will only get worse if any of us plans on running multiple programs at the same time or upgrading to Windows Vista. However, if you don't demand much from your computer and don't intend on running Windows Vista then it may not be such a big deal.

However, if you plan on doing much multi-tasking or want to have the new OS and programs then the value of spending $1800 on outdated tech is questionable, regardless of the great discount that OSU gets. Even w/o the discount, $1800 can get you a Core Duo laptop w/ or w/o tablet functionality if you go with a different manufacturer. That's the problem with having a contract w/ a single vendor like OSU has w/ Lenovo. Their only option for a tablet PC is the X41 until Lenovo releases the X61 w/ Core Duo later this year (likely November). Therefore, they had to make compromises on the power of the machine. I think a telling fact is that the speed of the X41 (1.6GHz) is less than the minimum processor speed for people who are coming in w/ their own laptop (1.7GHz). If you don't want to miss out on the discount, you can even get a different Lenovo that isn't a tablet but has Core Duo for the same price or less.

Ultimately it comes down to your own needs and admittedly mine are greater than most others as I generally run multiple programs at the same time (Word, Excel, AIM, Google Desktop Search, etc.). If you don't need the power and really want a tablet then the X41 may be fine. Personally, I will wait a couple months for the X61 tablet which will have the same great design along with the new processor and pick that up when it is available. I may end up paying a little more for the X61 but I think it will be worth it.

Hmm solid arguments. I guess they're in a bind since the new one hasn't yet come out. Vista sounds good...well there's always ebay for getting rid of things if they get dreadfully outdated. Or maybe it's a devious way to prevent us from gaming! Speaking of which, I'm tempted to get a Wii...might poll on it in pre-allo or allo. Anyone else?

Shredder said:
Speaking of which, I'm tempted to get a Wii...might poll on it in pre-allo or allo. Anyone else?

I'm getting one the day they come out. I might not be able to play it that much until Christmas though.

Interesting...we'll have to form a Gamers United looks like. Anyone planning on living in Neil? I applied, I wonder when they'll get back about that. I emailed a couple of weeks ago and they said mid-June

Shredder said:
Interesting...we'll have to form a Gamers United looks like. Anyone planning on living in Neil? I applied, I wonder when they'll get back about that. I emailed a couple of weeks ago and they said mid-June

In Neil? Neilwood Gables?

Oh I meant Neil dorm type of building. Whatever was listed on the campus housing pamphlets. I'm all about on campus housing and eating, can't wait. It will be just like my early years in college. So convenient, relatively economical too

Shredder said:
Oh I meant Neil dorm type of building. Whatever was listed on the campus housing pamphlets. I'm all about on campus housing and eating, can't wait. It will be just like my early years in college. So convenient, relatively economical too
Ah, you mean the places above the Marketplace. The Marketplace food is pretty good. I've never been upstairs though. I hear it's nice.

Anyone taking out private loans to have enough for the student budget (especially OOSers)?? If so, from which lender?

Apparently OSU hasn't decided whether or not they're going to allow students to get the Grad Plus (according to Sam Matheny they're in the process of deciding and won't know til maybe even the end of July).