The OFFICIAL THREAD ~ OHIO STATE Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAMS

in the scheme of things
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so happy to start this thread!! And I can't wait to get more information on getting started. :D

Post any developments, news, whazzups and happenings.

Members don't see this ad.

Cozmosis said:
I'm interviewing at the end of the month. Hope to get in and join you :)

Right on! The interview day is pretty relaxed. Be sure to ask questions of the med students during lunch and the tour, that should help you during the interview. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is quiet, has anyone received anything after the acceptance email notification?

I had a near disaster--got the acceptance on my status page Oct 17, then....just last week got a letter that had gotten stuck with all my forwarding addresses through the post office that said I had to pay my deposit by Nov 1 to reserve my spot or my acceptance would be voided! AAAAHHH! So of course I called and they were very nice and said that it was no big deal. I got the letter on a Saturday though and, although I really thought it'd be okay there was still the panic all weekend that maybe I wouldn't be. Ah, so scary.

I keep eyeing Craig's List to check out housing options and jobs for the spouse. I'm trying to get a feel for Columbus as I've only spent the 24 hours surrounging my interview there! I can't wait for 2nd look day in April. Any words from Columbus natives?

Hmmm... I was accepted Nov 1 via the online status page, and I never got a letter in the mail.. I should probably call tomorrow and see what is up.

But CONGRATS, Oly!!! Glad it worked out for you, I may be in your shoes if my letter got lost.. :eek:

Hi All,

I'm excited to go to OSU in the fall! Over turkey-break my family and I checked out the area to visit family and see where we will try to live. Yikes! the areas close to campus that are not in all-student-neighborhoods look pretty spendy. Any ideas for where to look so that I'm not in the car all the time?

At my interview I didn't realize just how big OSU's campus was. Its unbelieva-large.

flyingjbird said:
Hi All,

I'm excited to go to OSU in the fall! Over turkey-break my family and I checked out the area to visit family and see where we will try to live. Yikes! the areas close to campus that are not in all-student-neighborhoods look pretty spendy. Any ideas for where to look so that I'm not in the car all the time?

At my interview I didn't realize just how big OSU's campus was. Its unbelieva-large.
Tell me about it! I just interviewed, and holy CRAP is that place big.

It is huge--and all so new! I loved it! And that anatomy lab....if you have to be surrounded by cadavers, why not in a room with massive windows? So nice!

olydoc2b said:
It is huge--and all so new! I loved it! And that anatomy lab....if you have to be surrounded by cadavers, why not in a room with massive windows? So nice!

Congrats to you all! I'll just respond to a couple of points here and there. While it is nice that the anatomy labs have windows (instead of the usualy dungeon atmosphere), once you get started, I bet you won't even notice. ;)

As for housing, don't worry about it yet. If you are looking for apartments, there are lots of them available. They should send out a housing guide in the spring. And yes, east of campus you go from student housing to "ghetto" fairly quickly. The areas immediately east and north of campus are largely undergraduate housing. If you are willing to drive 10-15 minutes to campus, you can find some places that rent for cheaper than comparable places closer to campus. There are a lot of apartment complexes on Olentangy River Road (heavy on undergrads).

A word of advice . . . keep an eye on your status page!!! The only thing you will get from OSU via snail mail will be an acceptance letter with a form to return your deposit. Everything else will be posted online . . . orientation materials, physical and immunization info, etc.

Congrats, again!
Amy

PS - check out the OSU, Class of 2009 thread in this forum. I seem to remember a lot of good housing info being given there.

Thanks, AmyBEMT!

Everyone seemed really proud of their school. I honestly can't tell if I really liked the feel or not. The facilities sure were impressive though.

Hello all,
Welcome to Ohio State, and congratulations. I'm an outgoing M4, but I definitely remember how exciting it was to get that acceptance and start on the road to an MD.

Go Bucks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received anything from OHIO state after the letter asking for the $25?? I had to change my mailing address, and I don't know if I've missed anything. I was expecting to hear from the student affairs office, but haven't yet.

Quazimodo said:
Has anyone received anything from OHIO state after the letter asking for the $25?? I had to change my mailing address, and I don't know if I've missed anything. I was expecting to hear from the student affairs office, but haven't yet.

Last year, I didn't get anything from Ohio State via snail mail except for the deposit letter and financial aid award (which is available online LONG before they mail it to you). All of the orientation materials were posted online, accessible via your status page. I was admitted after second look day, so I don't know if they sent anything out via mail about that.

Also - an FYI - if you haven't done so already, access your AMCAS and change your address info in your AMCAS. Your info at Ohio State's admissions office will then update automatically from AMCAS. I changed some info last year after being admitted, and the admissions officed asked me to go into AMCAS and change it.

Hi everyone! I just wanted to add a post to share my excitement with you all. I am also going to be joining the OSU class of 2010!! YAHOO! :D

Hi, Ithilia, and Congratulations!!

Looking forward to meeting some of you folks. Have a great holiday break!

congratulations and welcome to osu!

OSU rocks! I was so impressed with the school at my interview and want to come here bad. Dammit, let me in already! [banging on door] Still deferred [sigh]. C'mon waitlist, don't let me down!

Messerschmitts said:
OSU rocks! I was so impressed with the school at my interview and want to come here bad. Dammit, let me in already! [banging on door] Still deferred [sigh]. C'mon waitlist, don't let me down!

Hang in there Messerschmitts! There are a LOT of people in my class who got accepted of the deferred list. However, I don't think there's a ton of movement in the list until May 15th, so don't give up hope!

I may join you all at OSU next fall :) . I've been really impressed with how frequently OSU keeps in touch with its accepted applicants...all those emails about new labs/hospitals, student affairs, xmas cards, etc.! The other school I've been accepted at has sent nothing.

Anyway, I'm wondering, does OSU take such good care of its students once we get there? Do the classes have good camaraderie, despite the size and the ISP system? Overall, it seems like a really nice school :thumbup:

funshine said:
Anyway, I'm wondering, does OSU take such good care of its students once we get there? Do the classes have good camaraderie, despite the size and the ISP system? Overall, it seems like a really nice school :thumbup:

Obviously, you will get different opinions, but I think that so far, they take pretty good care of us. The administration is very approachable and friendly. There are lots of administrative staff and most of them are very prompt about replying to questions/concerns. A downside is that the school is so huge and it can be tough sometimes figuring out exactly who is the right person to approach, but if you ask the wrong person, they will refer you to the correct person.

I think our class has pretty good camaraderie. On the occasions that I run across Med 2's, 3's and 4's, they are pretty friendly and helpful. As an ISP student, I don't feel isolated from my classmates at all. We have lectures and small group sessions that all students attend where we see our IP classmates. Also, I can always choose to take a lunch break at the same time as the IP students and hang out with them then. There are tons of activities where you will see people.

Feel free to ask questions on here or PM myself or some of the other OSU students who have posted on this thread or other threads.

Hey Cozmo, I wouldn't worry to much about deferral. Reading from last years threads, it looks like plenty of people were pulled in. Keep your communication and interest up with the admissions staff, and I'm sure we'll see you in the class. :thumbup:

AmyBEMT said:
Last year, I didn't get anything from Ohio State via snail mail except for the deposit letter and financial aid award (which is available online LONG before they mail it to you). All of the orientation materials were posted online, accessible via your status page. I was admitted after second look day, so I don't know if they sent anything out via mail about that.

Also - an FYI - if you haven't done so already, access your AMCAS and change your address info in your AMCAS. Your info at Ohio State's admissions office will then update automatically from AMCAS. I changed some info last year after being admitted, and the admissions officed asked me to go into AMCAS and change it.

When did you hear about financial aid awards?

Hey All,

Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted already and good luck to those of you on the waitlist. I am also an M1 at OSU and will try to keep an eye on this thread to answer any questions. As was said, the '09 thread has a lot of good info, but keep posting questions and discusssion here as well.

Regarding the financial aid info, I think mine came in April last year. I remember it was right around the time I got the same info from other schools as the process from school to school is pretty similar. Overall, it should come in plenty of time to allow you to take finances into consideration if you choose to do so.

Oops, an addendum to my last post. You may not receive information about a scholarship if you are fortunate to get one at the same time as the loan information. I don't know if that is because they make decisions about scholarships later, they are only offered at first to a select few who might chose to go elsewhere, etc. Anyway, thought I should add that.

sandg said:
Oops, an addendum to my last post. You may not receive information about a scholarship if you are fortunate to get one at the same time as the loan information. I don't know if that is because they make decisions about scholarships later, they are only offered at first to a select few who might chose to go elsewhere, etc. Anyway, thought I should add that.

Excellent point, sandg! Since I was accepted off the "deferred" list, I actually didn't get any financial aid info until June. I agree that it seems that relatively few scholarships are offered initially. It might be worth a call to the admissions office to ask when scholarship offers are typically made, if that is a deciding factor for you.

Hey I was wondering if, when they send out housing information, they also have some way of allowing incoming MS-1s to try to find others to house with. I know that there is an off-campus housing site through OSU but it is pretty general, i.e. its for all students (and I get the feeling mostly undergrads). I hope they have something specific to the medical students. Just curious, because I think I would like to house with people from the beginning.

Ithilia said:
Hey I was wondering if, when they send out housing information, they also have some way of allowing incoming MS-1s to try to find others to house with. I know that there is an off-campus housing site through OSU but it is pretty general, i.e. its for all students (and I get the feeling mostly undergrads). I hope they have something specific to the medical students. Just curious, because I think I would like to house with people from the beginning.

Ithilia -

They do a roommate match service for those who are interested. I think they send info out in April, maybe? They have people fill out forms with interests and etc. and do a match. From what I hear, it works pretty well. Maybe one of my classmates will pop up on here and give a little more detail about it.

AmyBEMT said:
Ithilia -

They do a roommate match service for those who are interested. I think they send info out in April, maybe? They have people fill out forms with interests and etc. and do a match. From what I hear, it works pretty well. Maybe one of my classmates will pop up on here and give a little more detail about it.

Thanks Amy! That sounds like exactly what I was hoping for!

Is it true that OSU lowered the OOS tuition by $10,000, so that it is now ~$26,000 OOS vs. ~$22,000 in-state? The U.S. News website lists it as so, but the OSU financial aid webpage still lists OOS tuition at "market price" (~$39,000).

Messerschmitts said:
Is it true that OSU lowered the OOS tuition by $10,000, so that it is now ~$26,000 OOS vs. ~$22,000 in-state? The U.S. News website lists it as so, but the OSU financial aid webpage still lists OOS tuition at "market price" (~$39,000).

Hey Messerschmitts -

I remember being told that they reduced OOS tuition by $10,000 last year as well. I am in-state, so I can't really tell you if that happened. Let me see if I can find one of my fellow class-mates that is OOS (who didn't qualify for instant residency due to being married and their spouse working).

AmyBEMT said:
Ithilia -

Hey everyone, and congrats on getting in to OSU (and good luck if you haven't yet)!

I used the roommate match system last year, and it worked very well for me. It took a few e-mails, but I found a fellow M1 to stay with. We live in South Campus Gateway (and will be doing so again next year), which is a developing area on 11th and High. It's a nice place to live (the apartments were just built last year, the Barnes & Noble is across the street, there is a parking garage, a movie theater is close by, as well as a Cold Stone Creamery! :love: ). It is a little on the expensive side, but, to me, it is well worth it. Meiling Hall is only a 10-15 minute walk, and the vast majority of students that live here are either med students or law students (the law school is right next door) - so no drunk undergrads screaming in the hallways at 3 AM. One word of advice if any of you decide to live here, though - get an apartment that does not face High St. I have friends who live in apartments facing High St., and the amount of lights/noise is very distracting.

As far as the tuition thing goes, OSU did lower out-of-state tuition by $10k last year, which was really nice. The last time I checked, the website wasn't updated.

Oh, and thanks for coercing me into making a contribution to this thread, Amy. :p

Holy Cow! They lowered OOS Tuition by 10K?? When did they announce this last year, and are they considering it again this year?

ingamina said:
Holy Cow! They lowered OOS Tuition by 10K?? When did they announce this last year, and are they considering it again this year?

I don't remember exactly when they announced it last year, but was done largely because they felt they were losing a lot of potential OOS students because of having to pay OOS tuition. Most students are able to gain in-state status for years 2 - 4 anyways, so it was just the first year that was a big concern. I honestly couldn't tell you how long they plan to continue the program, but I would think they would have mentioned it during interviews. Does anybody recall them mentioning it this year?

AmyBEMT said:
I don't remember exactly when they announced it last year, but was done largely because they felt they were losing a lot of potential OOS students because of having to pay OOS tuition. Most students are able to gain in-state status for years 2 - 4 anyways, so it was just the first year that was a big concern. I honestly couldn't tell you how long they plan to continue the program, but I would think they would have mentioned it during interviews. Does anybody recall them mentioning it this year?

At the interview, I remember the figure $39K, which is still high. Well, according to the 06-07 MSAR, OOS tuition is listed as $48,036. So I suppose they factored the reduction in? It sure would be nice to get that down to 29K! :idea:

ingamina said:
At the interview, I remember the figure $39K, which is still high. Well, according to the 06-07 MSAR, OOS tuition is listed as $48,036. So I suppose they factored the reduction in? It sure would be nice to get that down to 29K! :idea:

That sounds about right. The original OOS tuition was over 2x the instate rate. The $39K figure probably counts the reduction. The admissions office could probably tell you for sure if you e-mail or call them.

$39,000 is after the 10,000-reduction? I thought that was the original OOS tuition, and that now it's around 29,000! At least that's what U.S. News says, but they're prone to mistakes. Well I guess I'll call them, when I actually get off the deferred list. :p Ha, joke's on them, I would've attended without any reduction! (But now I'm salivating even more) Unfortunately with such a sweet deal I don't know how many people are gonna choose to attend elsewhere to open up a spot for me. :(

Btw, thanks once again, to AmyBEMT who so tirelessly addresses our various concerns!

Messerschmitts said:
Btw, thanks once again, to AmyBEMT who so tirelessly addresses our various concerns!
No doubt :thumbup:

ingamina said:

You all are certainly welcome! :) I hope some more of my classmates will chime in as the thread goes on and you have more and more questions. I don't live in Columbus (commute about 40 miles) and am non-trad, so I have a little bit different perspective than some of my classmates. I remember how nice it was to have current students answer our questions last year in the c/o 2009 thread.

You can look at a guide written by previous med students for the entering class of 2004 here. Don't get too carried away with buying any of the books yet, as I know that some of them have changed.

Always feel free to call the ladies in the admissions office with questions, too- they are GREAT!

Looking forward to seeing some of you guys at Second Look day (April 1) and/or orientation!

Cozmosis said:
Does OSU ever tell deferred people any time before like April/May/whenever? Just wondering as to defer my paranoia.

Although no one can tell you for sure, you'll probably at least be waiting until all the interviews have been done, which is (I believe) April. You may want to call the office and ask when their last interviews are to be sure. After that, as you can imagine, around May 15, people who have been offered acceptances decide if it is where they want to go, and a lot of people end up getting off the waitlist after that date. You do have a lot of hope, just some waiting, which sucks, I know.

Cozmosis said:
Does OSU ever tell deferred people any time before like April/May/whenever? Just wondering as to defer my paranoia.

From the conversations I have had with the admissions office, it sounds like it is fairly rare for people to get in off the deferred list before the end of interviews. Last year, the interviews ended the first or second week of March (I think - I interviewed the last week of Feb, and we were told that there were only a couple more interview sessions). However, there still might not be much movement on the waitlist until closer to the May 15th deadline. I know a bunch of people (myself included) who got the call within a few days of May 15th. But, I also know people who didn't get called until July. The whole waitlist thing is a big, vicious circle as people who are accepted at OSU but on the waitlist for a school that they prefer get admitted to their first choice.

I wouldn't be paranoid if you don't hear from them before May. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to call and ask them how the deferred process works.

AmyBEMT said:
You all are certainly welcome! :) I hope some more of my classmates will chime in as the thread goes on and you have more and more questions. I don't live in Columbus (commute about 40 miles) and am non-trad, so I have a little bit different perspective than some of my classmates. I remember how nice it was to have current students answer our questions last year in the c/o 2009 thread.

You can look at a guide written by previous med students for the entering class of 2004 here. Don't get too carried away with buying any of the books yet, as I know that some of them have changed.

Always feel free to call the ladies in the admissions office with questions, too- they are GREAT!

Looking forward to seeing some of you guys at Second Look day (April 1) and/or orientation!

So are there many non-trads at OSU? What's been your experience there? I'm older and have a husband and two kids.... not exactly fresh from school! I can't remember, are you ISP? I'm thinking I may go that route for the flexibility of the schedule. BTW, thanks for the link! Even if it isn't the most recent, it has a ton of info in it!

olydoc2b said:
So are there many non-trads at OSU? What's been your experience there? I'm older and have a husband and two kids.... not exactly fresh from school! I can't remember, are you ISP? I'm thinking I may go that route for the flexibility of the schedule. BTW, thanks for the link! Even if it isn't the most recent, it has a ton of info in it!
There are quite a few of us non-trads. According to the stats they gave us, seen here , there are 39 of us who are 25 or older. I'm one of the older in the class (there are 5 people older than me). There are quite a few students who are married and a number who have children. Several of us commute > 30 miles, primarily due to family reasons. I don't think age is much of an issue. I rarely do the partying/bar scene, but I often have lunch with my younger classmates (Although I will admit to getting thoroughly hammered at the Post Gross Toast). I don't feel out of place at all.

You're right, I am ISP. It's not quite as flexible as I would like, due to our Physician Development and Patient Centered Medicine courses, but it certainly provides a lot more flexibility than the IP path. I really enjoy being responsible for my own learning and scheduling, within limits. I still see plenty of my classmates - on the average, I have to go to campus twice a week. You will have lots of time to decide which path you want to choose when you get here - everybody does Anatomy together for the first 12 weeks. At orientation, I was POSITIVE that I would be doing IP - I didn't think that there was any way I could be disciplined enough for ISP. There is an assumption that all of the married people choose ISP, but that's not true. Interestingly enough most of the BS/MD students chose ISP.

Anyways - I won't bore you guys with IP/ISP details now. You will have plenty of time to decide when you get here. We had some great presentations/student panels available for people to get more info and insight. Plus, your upperclassmen will be very honest about what they like/dislike about both programs. There really isn't any "one path is better than the other". Ultimately, its up to each person to decide what works best for them and how well they do.

I'll just echo what Amy said about IP vs. ISP: you'll have plenty of time to decide when you get here, and there is no "better" pathway...it just comes down to how you want to learn the mountain of info covered in the first two years. The other reason I felt compelled to reply is, like Amy, I was dead set on IP until about half way through anatomy. In addition, I am living (or at least cyber-world) proof that ISP is not just for the older, married, etc. students.

AmyBEMT said:
(Although I will admit to getting thoroughly hammered at the Post Gross Toast)

How did I miss that?! :eek: I guess I shouldn't have left so early...actually, maybe it's a good thing that I did, because I think I was the one who was supposed to be buying drinks that night. :laugh:

New to SDN and got accepted at OSU :)