**The Official Personal Statement Guide and PS Readers List **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

would anyone like to critique my PS???
a super honest criticism would be welcome :)

:D??

Would someone please critique my PS today? I'm trying to send it in this week and would appreciate some opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
you can pm me your ps and I'll read it sometime this evening

Hi guys...Im looking to send in my app this week and would like if one of the Listed PS readers would be willing to take a look at my statement today or tomorrow...just post here and I'll PM you! Thanks!

Thanks for your offer Briggs, but I was acutally looking for one of the listed PS readers...no offense or anything Im sure you'd be great! Thanks anyways

I've already posted this on the Official PS readers list, but I think it's important so I'll post it again here.

I just want to say to all those people looking for advice on their PS, thank your readers when they've taken the time out of their busy lives to read & critique your essay. I think I speak for most PS readers here when I say I am sick of spending so much time giving people a thorough analysis of their essay & not even getting a simple thank you in return. It does NOT matter if you agree or don't agree with what the readers thought, but at least extend them some courtesy!

And for those of you who are still looking for honest, albeit sometimes brutal critique, feel free to PM me your essays. For those that have, I'm working on getting them back to you as soon as I can.

Anyone have time to read my PS today/tonight? I'm just doing some final touches, etc.

Thanks!

would anyone like to critique my PS???
a super honest criticism would be welcome :)

:D??

i am usually good at super honest criticism so if you still need someone to read over it, i'd be happy to :)

I have just finished a very rough draft of my ps. Can somebody check it and tell me if my ideas are making sense?

pls pm me.

Anyone have time to read my PS today/tonight? I'm just doing some final touches, etc.

Thanks!

I could read yours if you want..I can give you some honest criticism. Would ou be willing to read mine in return? I've had people look at it, but I need someone new (and someone who doesn't know me) to read it. Thanks!:thumbup:

Anyone willing to trade personal statements? PM me. Thanks

Well it took me a little longer than I thought it would to edit my PS. Apparently being in a wedding involves more than just going to the ceremony and standing there. Who would have thought. Anyway are there any willing PS readers out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any PS readers willing to read over a draft in the next day or two? I'm also willing to trade with someone else writing their PS, even though I don't have any experience reading them. Please?

Is there anyone willing to take a look at my PS tonight--just give it a read and short appraisal. No big-time editing. PM me if so!

Thanks in advance.

Can someone please tell me how to add attachments to pms? I don't see no paper clip in there.

Thanks

sry this might sound stupid but what does PM stand for?? email? message?

Is there anyone that can please look at my PS. Please pm me. I have not been any responses from the pms I sent out.

Thanks for your time in advance, I really will appreciate any feedback.

Well I almost completely rewrote my PS. Are there any willing readers out there? I am willing to trade.

Anyone willing to read another personal statement? Please PM me if so. Thanks!!!

Rollskin and Awhitechair send it to me via PM.

Hi,

I need a fresh set of eyes to read my PS. I have given it to four people who I trust:my brother who is a journalism major, my research professor who has helped many others get into medical school, my english profressor, and a very good and gracious person working in my university writing center. Well, I have a split opinion: two like it as is, two don't. If someone experienced with reading a statement can help me, please let me know. Thanks a bunch, and good luck to everyone in this process!

Hi,

I need a fresh set of eyes to read my PS. I have given it to four people who I trust:my brother who is a journalism major, my research professor who has helped many others get into medical school, my english profressor, and a very good and gracious person working in my university writing center. Well, I have a split opinion: two like it as is, two don't. If someone experienced with reading a statement can help me, please let me know. Thanks a bunch, and good luck to everyone in this process!

Send it to me. I've been reviewing PSes all summer long plus a good part of last summer and a little bit the previous summer. I've also seen what at least one adcom thinks of as the Do's and Don'ts and in writing my own PS have read enough books on the topic so send it over this way and I'll take a look at it and give my feedback.

Hi there,
I am preparing to finish my PS right now, but I have a big question.

On my second semester freshman year, my GPA dropped a little to about 3.3. I would like to explain why, but there are many reasons:

1) The classes were harder than before.
2) I was breaking up with my boyfriend of 3.5 years.
3) Most importantly, I was recovering from a four year old eating disorder, all by myself. Most people can recognize that this is very hard to do with absolutely no help, and it led to a lot of mental distress (however, to a good end, as I have remained 100% recovered since then.)
4) My uncle died a few days before finals, completely without any way to anticipate it. I couldn't go to the funeral because of finals. Who knows how that affected things.

My main question is:
Should I only include the uncle's death on the PS? (I will include it in a positive way, saying "I overcame challenges")
Or, should I include the eating disorder recovery? I had been in outpatient before that, but I am DEATHLY worried that mentioning this will scream "liability," in that they will assume I'll relapse and cause a big problem.
However, that is honestly the biggest reason for the dip.

Any advice very greatly appreciated.

I'd include the eating disorder, but then make a mention of the positive upward trend in both grades and your overcoming the eating disorder. As long as you show that you've gotten help and overcome that they'll not see it as a liability.

Hi there,
I am preparing to finish my PS right now, but I have a big question.

On my second semester freshman year, my GPA dropped a little to about 3.3. I would like to explain why, but there are many reasons:

1) The classes were harder than before.
2) I was breaking up with my boyfriend of 3.5 years.
3) Most importantly, I was recovering from a four year old eating disorder, all by myself. Most people can recognize that this is very hard to do with absolutely no help, and it led to a lot of mental distress (however, to a good end, as I have remained 100% recovered since then.)
4) My uncle died a few days before finals, completely without any way to anticipate it. I couldn't go to the funeral because of finals. Who knows how that affected things.

My main question is:
Should I only include the uncle's death on the PS? (I will include it in a positive way, saying "I overcame challenges")
Or, should I include the eating disorder recovery? I had been in outpatient before that, but I am DEATHLY worried that mentioning this will scream "liability," in that they will assume I'll relapse and cause a big problem.
However, that is honestly the biggest reason for the dip.

Any advice very greatly appreciated.

I think it's better to let the Premed committee do the job for you, because in your PS, giving explanation for weak grades is somehow awkward. What's your opinion ?? :rolleyes:

I disagree with you.

I think the way to approach this is not to dwell on bad grades but tell about it in a couple of lines and then end it off with what you've done to retract the situation (i.e. higher upward trend in grades, etc.). It is always important to address topics like this and better if it comes from you then a committee because then at least they make take into acct adversity that you have faced and see what you've done to overcome it.

I disagree with you.

I think the way to approach this is not to dwell on bad grades but tell about it in a couple of lines and then end it off with what you've done to retract the situation (i.e. higher upward trend in grades, etc.). It is always important to address topics like this and better if it comes from you then a committee because then at least they make take into acct adversity that you have faced and see what you've done to overcome it.

I know this is a controversial topic, as it has just shown to be right now... so I'm wondering if the safest thing is to just not mention it. Maybe someone would be more likely to look at it as a negative thing than to see it as an incredibly difficult act. At the same time, I'm always wondering if maybe they will understand and not just think I'm a slacker, haha.

Thank you for your thoughts so much, it's so great to ask objective people. :)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I know this is a controversial topic, as it has just shown to be right now... so I'm wondering if the safest thing is to just not mention it. Maybe someone would be more likely to look at it as a negative thing than to see it as an incredibly difficult act. At the same time, I'm always wondering if maybe they will understand and not just think I'm a slacker, haha.

Thank you for your thoughts so much, it's so great to ask objective people. :)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

It is better to explain a dip in grade rather then let them draw their own set of conclusions. The thing is if you don't at least make a small mention of it, they could easily misconstrue it as you just deciding on slacking for the sake of it. But as I said before, just don't dwell on it.

I will give you an example of what a friend of mine did.

A current 4th year med student did the following when he was applying for C/O 2008.

He took a sentence to mention his lack of a good undergrad GPA and then talked about his lack of options caused him to join the navy and how he remembered the Navy Officer's commanding him. Then he explained how that helped to discipline him and how he applied those principles when returning to do a postbac.

Thanks, I'm getting some ideas about the best way to go about this.

LizzyM, what are your thoughts?

Hey Everyone.

I'm looking to submit my AMCAS by tomorrow, I was wondering if there was anyone who would be able to look at my PS tonight just as a last check. I'm willing to trade. Please PM me.

Hello, everyone. I've been reading my essay for hours, and can't think anymore. Could anybody read over my essay and give me some feedback please?

You could either post your comments here or AIM me.
:)

AIM: godchaser1016
EMAIL: [email protected]

Attachments

• AMCASJuly2.doc
    34 KB · Views: 488
Hi, I'm planning to send in my personal statement soon, and would really appreciate if you could critique mine. I'd be happy to look over yours too! Just send it to me at [email protected]

Attached is my statement. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone could look at my ps and see if its headed in the right direction?

Hi everyone,

I would be extremely grateful if anyone is willing to critique my statement. I have worked on it with a premed and med student. While their advice has been invaluable, I am eager to have fresh, thoughtful opinion on my essay. Thank you for your generosity :laugh:

hello, also wondering if anyone wouldn't mind reading my personal statement. it's my first draft, any suggestions/comments/harsh criticisms would be really appreciated. thanks!

Attachments

• xoghpersonalstatement.doc
    29 KB · Views: 536
<One doesn't want to suddenly enter into a lifelong, rigorous profession, while going through hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, with no sleep, 80+ hour workweeks, at least a solid decade of schooling with just one short-lived experience.>

Q: What does one do if going to medical school itself has not been a lifelong pursuit? If one experience, which spun off other experiences (volunteering, etc.), had a significant effect on one's decision to enter the medical field?

Any opinions?

<One doesn't want to suddenly enter into a lifelong, rigorous profession, while going through hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, with no sleep, 80+ hour workweeks, at least a solid decade of schooling with just one short-lived experience.>

Q: What does one do if going to medical school itself has not been a lifelong pursuit? If one experience, which spun off other experiences (volunteering, etc.), had a significant effect on one's decision to enter the medical field?

Any opinions?

is this a prompt for a secondary or something? i don't really get the question. what do you do if you didn't want to be a doc when you were 5 but now you want to be? that is kind of how i am reading it. i would say a vast majority of people applying had one experience that was the first motivation. just because it was short or more recent doesn't mean that person is going to be any less of a doctor. as long as he/she has thuroughly explored the field, then what is the problem?

I just realized something and I wanna ask you guys a question about the PS. Do you use double space or single space after the comma???? I just realized that they reason my PS has exceeded the character limit is because I have been using the double space. If I could use single space then it would help me a lot:eek:.

I just realized something and I wanna ask you guys a question about the PS. Do you use double space or single space after the comma???? I just realized that they reason my PS has exceeded the character limit is because I have been using the double space. If I could use single space then it would help me a lot:eek:.

After commas, it is a single space.

After end of sentences, it is usually a double space. HOWEVER, many premeds have been using a single space even after periods. Whether that is correct or not, I'm not sure, but it seems to have worked fine with them and professionals who've read over their essays such as professors have not commented against it.

After commas, it is a single space.

After end of sentences, it is usually a double space. HOWEVER, many premeds have been using a single space even after periods. Whether that is correct or not, I'm not sure, but it seems to have worked fine with them and professionals who've read over their essays such as professors have not commented against it.
thanks for the comment. BTW did I really offend you by that PM couple weeks ago?? If so, let me apologize for that. I thought I was being funny:D.

thanks for the comment. BTW did I really offend you by that PM couple weeks ago?? If so, let me apologize for that. I thought I was being funny:D.

No you didn't. If you had, believe me, I'd be jumping down your throat. I have no problem telling a person what I think of them if they act too offending. You were not offending at all.

I don't remember whether I got back to you on your PS though as that was given to me when I was flooded with PSes.

No you didn't. If you had, believe me, I'd be jumping down your throat. I have no problem telling a person what I think of them if they act too offending. You were not offending at all.

I don't remember whether I got back to you on your PS though as that was given to me when I was flooded with PSes.
HAHA it's good to hear that. I actually finished my PS already, so if you don't mind and not very busy I would love to have you help me on the secondary essays. But that's not until another month. I am trying to send in my primary now.

HAHA it's good to hear that. I actually finished my PS already, so if you don't mind and not very busy I would love to have you help me on the secondary essays. But that's not until another month. I am trying to send in my primary now.

Sure you can send me stuff whenever and I'll look over it.

Hello, everyone. I've been reading my essay for hours, and can't think anymore. Could anybody read over my essay and give me some feedback please?

You could either post your comments here or AIM me.
:)

AIM: godchaser1016
EMAIL: [email protected]

I'm sending you an email right now.

I'm happy to read/edit anybody's PS, just PM it to me.

All the best~

hello, also wondering if anyone wouldn't mind reading my personal statement. it's my first draft, any suggestions/comments/harsh criticisms would be really appreciated. thanks!

I sent you a pm with my criticisms. I didn't think it was that bad. There were just a couple minor points that needed fixing.

hey, is anyone up for reading a PS tonight?

i wrote one for my university's committee, but i am writing another one right now. i have no idea what i'm doing and need advice... except my goal was to submit tomorrow.

ahhh. help?

anyone want to read my PS? I'm trying to turn it in tomorrow. Trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.