**The Official Personal Statement Guide and PS Readers List **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't I get to the page 10? I keep clicking it and it's returning me to page 9? I'm not gonna be able to see this post so if anyone has any idea of why I can't see page 10, PM me please!

Edit: Ok.... said there was a page 10 apparently there wasn't and I'm the first post on it.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is for Ps, but I need some critique on a secondary. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone that has some free time that wouldn't mind looking over my personal statement? I would greatly appreciate it! :)

I have a PS I would like some advice on as well. Let me know if anyone has time/is interested!

Hey I've got a rough draft of my PS that I could use some help with. Would anyone like to trade with me? Thanks!

Hey,

after several edits and advice from friends, I think I'm close to wrapping up this personal statement. Would anyone be able to look it over quickly? Thanks!

this might be little to late for me, but how do you explain going from decent gpa (3.6-3.8) to crap gpa (2.9-3.0) to ok gpa (3.4-3.5)? the upward trend in then end isnt that spectacular and a bit weak.

The only thing I mentioned in my ps regarding the nosedive is that though the classes were challenging, i still enjoyed the enjoyed the sciences, especially when sciences were instructed as a lab... (to indicate that i did well in labs)

Hey all, I've just finished up this horrible personal statement process and I would love to help others by giving feedback. I"m just another applicant, though, not a professional essay editor...

Also, just a general piece of advise I've been given... and I am curious to see how many agree (I hope this hasn't been brought up before)... I've been told doing anecdotal essays is a much better route than an expository essay. Thoughts on that? Anecdotal essays are much harder to write though.

PM me if you want my feedback! Thanks

Hey everyone. I am desperate to send out my personal statement this friday. Is there anyone that can take a look at my personal statement for it? I've asked a bunch of my friends already, but i just need some new objective opinions. I would really appreciate it, thanks in advance

Hello all,

I too am polishing my essay. I am more than happy to read anyone's. My strengths are more grammar and structure rather than content, but the more eyes the better, right? Perhaps we can trade essays. Just PM me. :)

Also, any input on my MDapp would be appreciated.

Best of luck to all!

Anyone around still available to read my PS?
I have a draft and would appreciate any feedback to make sure I'm heading in the right direction with my theme/content. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello people.
Anyone willing to read my PS? I'd like to have it all done by Friday.
Thanks in advance:)

I'm taking it off..
but thanks for the advice emquiksilver.
I'm actually trying to rewrite another one

I mean no disrespect, but I didn't read the whole thing. The first two paragraphs is a dissertation on a career as a medical doctor. It's completely impersonal. From reading half your PS, I have learned nothing about you. Perhaps other more seasoned writers will feel differently. This is just my opinion. Good luck and be careful with posting your PS like this. It's open to plagiarism.

me 2, I am grateful and thankfull for the people here :cool: who have helped me so far, but I am trying to finalize this and now I just need help with 2 sentences and some general criticism.

So if you are free and wouldn't mind, plz PM me and I will gladly email you my essay.

Thanks in advance. =)

I have had my app ready to submit for a while now but I couldn't bring myself to write a personal statement. I finally got the whole thing down in about an hour and I would really appreciate input. If anyone can help please PM me. I wanna kinda know the person reading my stuff so lemme know a little about you, sorry I'm a bit neurotic, I don't mean to be an ass. Thanks in advance.

Hi I will be applying DO and am hoping someone would be able to take a look at my PS for content not editing. If you're interested in helping me out please respond or PM me.

The ps readers list is huge and i'm not sure who's still available. I need some input on my personal statement, I'm a second time applicant. If anyone can possibly help please contact me.

this site is fantastic and you guys are the best.

I am willing to read PS for content/flow. I sent in my primary a little over a week ago and I have some down time before I start getting secondaries.

I am not an expert but I enjoy reading and will give my honest feedback on how interesting/to-the-point it is.

I am free to read over anyone's PS if they like for the next week or so. PM me and ill send you my email. Although Im not applying yet, I am minoring in English btw.

I will read anyone's PSes who I am already in the process of reviewing however school starts as of day after tomorrow so I will not be able to take a lot of PSes now. I will still continue to review secondary essays however as they are shorter to read and usually most people need a quick look and nothing more.

If you are going to send me a PS and are not someone who is one of those people I've been working with up to now only send it if it is in the final stages and needs one last look and is almost ready for submission. But I will not have much time once school starts for rough drafts.

Good luck to everyone.

anyone willing to read my personal statement real quick? I can PM it asap.

thanks so much!

I'm willing to read PS and give feedback. Just PM it to me.

What are you qualifications? You want total strangers to send their innermost thoughts and aspirations to a total stranger.

I spent three semesters grading and proofreading personal statements and qualitative and quantitative research designs and projects as a teaching assistant. Additionally, part of my assignment was to teach a lab class about those issues. I would also proofread and critique students' papers as a volunteer tutor type.

As to why people should send their thoughts and aspirations to a total stranger... the entire Adcom consists of strangers to this person. I'm just willing to help out and give suggestions. I already got into school, so I'm not planning on copying a PS or trying to sabotage someone.

Why would you bump the thread and then question why someone would want to help?

I spent three semesters grading and proofreading personal statements and qualitative and quantitative research designs and projects as a teaching assistant. Additionally, part of my assignment was to teach a lab class about those issues. I would also proofread and critique students' papers as a volunteer tutor type.

As to why people should send their thoughts and aspirations to a total stranger... the entire Adcom consists of strangers to this person. I'm just willing to help out and give suggestions. I already got into school, so I'm not planning on copying a PS or trying to sabotage someone.

Why would you bump the thread and then question why someone would want to help?

I was just asking a simple question. Thank you

I have a PS I would like someone to read through/comment on. If anyone is willing, I would appreciate that.

Thanks ahead of time :).

Cheers,
Piyush.

Would it be appropriate to write about my struggle with mental illness/ self-injury and how that affected my decision to pursue medicine? I would write about how I had no real interests in high school and my life didn't have much direction for the future. I took an anatomy class during my senior year in high school and it was the first thing I'd ever been passionate about learning and that's when I made my decision to study Biology and be pre-med. The decision about my future ended up helping me in terms of overcoming the mental illness more than the therapy and meds ever did because it gave me purpose. So the PS would be more about overcoming the mental illness and how that tied into my decision to pursue medicine than "poor me, I was depressed... cry for me". Thanks!

Would it be appropriate to write about my struggle with mental illness/ self-injury and how that affected my decision to pursue medicine? I would write about how I had no real interests in high school and my life didn't have much direction for the future. I took an anatomy class during my senior year in high school and it was the first thing I'd ever been passionate about learning and that's when I made my decision to study Biology and be pre-med. The decision about my future ended up helping me in terms of overcoming the mental illness more than the therapy and meds ever did because it gave me purpose. So the PS would be more about overcoming the mental illness and how that tied into my decision to pursue medicine than "poor me, I was depressed... cry for me". Thanks!
Sounds like a great idea if you approach it the right way. BUt also Know that a lot of People write about how they wanted to become a Doctor because of some disease they had or some illness taht affected one of their loved ones.

So it might not be the most original statement, but definitely worth a shot.

It wasn't the experience with the doctors or anything that made me decide on medicine, but more how the decision to pursue medicine helped me overcome the illness. Is it still going to be looked upon as "another 'i was affected by a disease'" personal statement?

I have a rough draft of my PS aswell. Any more readers out there? Mann, writing this crap is so hard. I don't think I'll ever feel satisfied with this thing. Is anyone else spending 90% of their time unproductively staring at their computer screen when trying to write a PS?

step up readers, and please,please, pretty please, read our PS....I promise they are not full of BS, so please read our PS.....

I should start rappin' or somethin', cause I wanna show adcoms that I am a special thing

:laugh:

Piyush

If anyone else needs a PS reader, I'm still on my winter break and have some free time. A few people read my PS last summer, and I'd love to return the favor to SDN. I poofread many of my friends' personal statements this summer and received feedback from them that I was helpful, and also had good results with my own personal statement.

I'd be more than happy to read personal statements. I got a lot of help on mine and am pretty familiar with what they are looking for. I also read applications for UG at my alma mater so I have a sense of what makes a good personal statement.

Please PM me if you need help - I would love to take a look at personal statements. :D

I can read them, but Im not too good with the grammar stuff.

hi. i have been writing my personal statement for a few weeks now. i have a really rought draft that i have been working with and would like some critiques on how to go about improving it. more for content proofing, not grammar.

much appreciated. thanks!

I would not mind providing some input on Ps

yo how long does a ps should be?

yo how long does a ps should be?

You have roughly 5300 characters including spaces. A lot of people use 1 space instead of 2 after a period so they can fit what they want to say on there.

I received quite a bit of helpful feedback on my PS last year, so I'm going to pay it forward this year. If you want to PM me your PS, I will gladly review it for you. Although I can't promise a very fast turn around time, it should be less than 1 week.

My credentials? Well I've been accepted to several top 25 schools thus far, and I used to be the editor for a major news publication at my school.

:luck: GOOD LUCK class of 2013!!!!!!

Hey guys,

Anybody willing to help out a three-peat reapplicant on their PS? I've got a fifth draft here, don't know how else to change it up. Really needing advice from a different set of eyes. Thanks a lot!

Hey guys,

Anybody willing to help out a three-peat reapplicant on their PS? I've got a fifth draft here, don't know how else to change it up. Really needing advice from a different set of eyes. Thanks a lot!

Wow , your stats are off the charts! Gosh, if you didn't get accepted, then what are the chances for us mere mortals :( this is sad :cry:

You have roughly 5300 characters including spaces. A lot of people use 1 space instead of 2 after a period so they can fit what they want to say on there.

ty:thumbup:

Wow , your stats are off the charts! Gosh, if you didn't get accepted, then what are the chances for us mere mortals :( this is sad :cry:

just goes to show stats aren't everything.
Also, it is possible that he either applied very late or not broadly enough.

Yo. I'm always free to read personal statements. Good luck to the 09 applicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.