**The Official Personal Statement Guide and PS Readers List **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How should one go about discussing there medical experiences in there PS?

I basically want to discuss my time spent shadowing. It was a great experience, but I just need help w/ the transition into discussing this.

Maybe I will have to let someone read it when I finsish in order for you all to get an idea of where I am trying to go with mine.

Members don't see this ad.

How should one go about discussing there medical experiences in there PS?

I basically want to discuss my time spent shadowing. It was a great experience, but I just need help w/ the transition into discussing this.

Maybe I will have to let someone read it when I finsish in order for you all to get an idea of where I am trying to go with mine.

Talk about a couple moving experiences you saw or about how you saw the impact doctors could make. I don't know.

I just finished the first draft of my PS, its pretty rough but I don't want to keep working on it until I get some honest and objective opinions. Anyone willing to look it over? Just PM me, and I'll PM it to you

THx in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've PM'd a lot of the people on the list at the beginning of this thread, its been a week and nobody has responded!! Anyone care to read my PS as well? Just PM me if you have time.

I'll be a PS reader, some people on here gave me some good advice, and I'd like to return the favor. Just PM me.

I just finished the first draft of my PS, its pretty rough but I don't want to keep working on it until I get some honest and objective opinions. Anyone willing to look it over? Just PM me, and I'll PM it to you

THx in advance!

hey PM it to me, i'll give it a read and a review ! :)

Hi guys,

I need some help with my personal statement. I am a non-traditional student that needs some advice. I would really appreciate the help. :)

I'm a non-trad who applied twice and got two acceptances this round. I'll be glad to read. I'm decent with grammar but probably better at finding holes / continuity. PM me.

sorry for sounding like a complete dork, but how exactly does this thread work? is there an updated list of readers we can send our PS to for critiquing, or do we sound our stuff to just basically anyone who has posted here saying they're willing to read? thanks.

i applied this past cycle, but it looks like i'm gonna have to try again, and i'm guessing that a weakness may have been the fact that i didn't get too many people to read my essays. so before starting over again, i'd like to see if i made any obvious mistakes in my past writing, and maybe i can sort of update my PS for the upcoming cycle, if it's decent enough.:p

Sign me up as a reader. I got a lot of help from SDN in the last application cycle and wanted to return the favor.

I am also not sure how this thread works either. I know they have a list of readers but I think it is from last year?

Sign me up as a reader! I love editing and work is really slow. SDN's PS thread was amazingly helpful for me last year.

Some credentials: I served on the editorial board of my campus science journal, had lots of interviewers compliment my personal statement this year, and have often been told that I'm a good writer.

I am also not sure how this thread works either. I know they have a list of readers but I think it is from last year?
My advice, as creator of the list for last year, is that one of you should just take the initiative to create a thread called "OFFICIAL PS READER LIST 2009" or something. Just make a list of formatting rules in your opening post and keep it organized and updated as people volunteer their time.

Once you get started, just PM one of the mods/admins and get the thread stickied to the top of the page so it's easier for people to find.

One of you should also create a thread for general advice on the PS to keep people from posting questions in your list.

Good luck, all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be willing to read personal statements, as well. I'm more than happy to help out any other prospective med students out there. Send me a PM, and I'll get back to you within a day, most likely.

im willing!!!..work is maddd slow cuz i got freakin scooped (tears!!!) my research of two years!!-half was published and in print as of this monday and the other half was presented at a conference last week (by the same lab..grRrrr)--tho i admit its hot to see your work published i DOES NOT feel the same when someone else's name is on it :mad:!!!

ok ill listen to kokoeats and post on the official ps reader 2009 list but anyways u can email me your ps at

[email protected]

hey everyone!

just wanted to let everyone know i need to take a quick break. i have a scholarship essay to write (ugh!). once i finish that up i'll let you guys know. if you've already sent me your PS don't worry, i've sent you a pm with my comments (or let you know when to expect it).

rottiesrock

Does MS word measure length in characters the same way a text box will on the AMCAS application interface?

Notepad doesn't have a character length feature, at least that I can find.

My thought is that skipping a line to separate paragraphs in the text box will add characters when it doesn't add in MS word. I have a full single-spaced page in word and it's 3500 characters. The instructions say we have 5300 characters in the text box but I'm not sure if thats translatable to word.

Hope that wasn't too convoluted. Thanks!

Does MS word measure length in characters the same way a text box will on the AMCAS application interface?

Notepad doesn't have a character length feature, at least that I can find.

My thought is that skipping a line to separate paragraphs in the text box will add characters when it doesn't add in MS word. I have a full single-spaced page in word and it's 3500 characters. The instructions say we have 5300 characters in the text box but I'm not sure if thats translatable to word.

Hope that wasn't too convoluted. Thanks!

Just make sure in Word that you look at "Characters (with spaces)" since AMCAS counts each space as a character.

Also, I would like some advice on my personal statement draft if anyone has time to read it. I'll try to find out if we're going to be starting a new personal statement help thread.

Thanks!

I have a really specific question, hoping to get some input and help from others in this thread...

I write, sing, and play guitar for a rock band, and up until my sophomore year I was more focused on trying to succeed in "the business" (aka get signed) rather than getting good grades for my plan of eventually becoming a doctor (which evidently was on the backburner). The grades weren't terrible, but they were inconsistent, and there's definitely an upward trend where I'm at now, so I'm going to have to account for the earlier lower GPA's. How do I address this in my personal statement? Is it effective to explain how I turned it around, or is it kind of a crappy excuse overall?

Appreciate any and all feedback, thanks!

Oh and for the record, this is my band www.myspace.com/sceneinstereo

I have a really specific question, hoping to get some input and help from others in this thread...

I write, sing, and play guitar for a rock band, and up until my sophomore year I was more focused on trying to succeed in "the business" (aka get signed) rather than getting good grades for my plan of eventually becoming a doctor (which evidently was on the backburner). The grades weren't terrible, but they were inconsistent, and there's definitely an upward trend where I'm at now, so I'm going to have to account for the earlier lower GPA's. How do I address this in my personal statement? Is it effective to explain how I turned it around, or is it kind of a crappy excuse overall?

Appreciate any and all feedback, thanks!

Oh and for the record, this is my band www.myspace.com/sceneinstereo

I'd mention the bad GPA in 1-2 lines only and focus on the positive and showing what you did to turn it around more.

A specific PS question regarding addressing low GPA. I understand that it is important to stay away from controversial topics and to not tug heart strings and obviously that makes sense, yet I don't see a way around being honest. Early in my sophomore year I was raped and I'm REALLY unclear as how to be honest without being, well, honest. I didnt go to class, I had a myriad of issues associated with it, etc blah blah blah. In my personal statement, towards the end, I wrote that my trust and body were violated (as opposed to using the R word, which makes people uncomfortable) and that my grades reflect this...distress? I want to treat it as yes, a bad thing happened, and although I don't take responsibility for the event I do take full respons. for how I handled it (or didn't) and have since sought counseling, volunteer for a sexual assault response organization, and have gotten back on track, etc. BUT I am still unsure as to how to present the R scenario in the first place.

I've searched multiple posts on this and found nothing so I figured I'd just throw it out there. If it makes you uncomfortable to read/respond, then, well, don't. But I hope someone does.

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but, its what happened.

Tricky.

Thanks. Sorry it's a long post.

A specific PS question regarding addressing low GPA. I understand that it is important to stay away from controversial topics and to not tug heart strings and obviously that makes sense, yet I don't see a way around being honest. Early in my sophomore year I was raped and I'm REALLY unclear as how to be honest without being, well, honest. I didnt go to class, I had a myriad of issues associated with it, etc blah blah blah. In my personal statement, towards the end, I wrote that my trust and body were violated (as opposed to using the R word, which makes people uncomfortable) and that my grades reflect this...distress? I want to treat it as yes, a bad thing happened, and although I don't take responsibility for the event I do take full respons. for how I handled it (or didn't) and have since sought counseling, volunteer for a sexual assault response organization, and have gotten back on track, etc. BUT I am still unsure as to how to present the R scenario in the first place.

I've searched multiple posts on this and found nothing so I figured I'd just throw it out there. If it makes you uncomfortable to read/respond, then, well, don't. But I hope someone does.

Tricky.

Maybe you can mention that you went through a very traumatic experience instead of saying you were raped. Then mention how it might have caused you physical and emotional trauma and if you required counseling something about that. Turn it around to say what you did positive and how you turned this negative situation around.

Anybody up for reading my PS? I just wrote it yesterday and need a little feedback...Let me know and I can PM it to you.

I also need help with my personal statement. Couple of my friends have looked at it but I think they were being to nice. I need real criticism. I'll email or pm to you. Thanks

Tricky.

As a victim of sexual molestation and other horrible things, I reserved my PS for only medicine-talk. BUT on almost every 2ndary, there was a spot to tell more about yourself, and I used that spot to outline my history, how I conquered it, and how it relates to my motivation in medicine.

BUT, my "problems" didn't affect my GPA, so I didn't need to describe them to help with getting past the screening. IF your GPA is still incredibly low, you may need to find a way to tactfully describe it in yoru PS. I said mine very simply... I said my life has been rough, and I listed some of the things I've been through... Abandonment, murder of a friend (in whose trial I was a witness), sexual molestation, etc. I kept it from being emotional, and it made it easier for me to write, and I hope easier to read.

I can read one or two personal statements. PM me and I'll definetly take the first one I get. I have already been through medical school so I might be able to give you some helpful advice.

As a victim of sexual molestation and other horrible things, I reserved my PS for only medicine-talk. BUT on almost every 2ndary, there was a spot to tell more about yourself, and I used that spot to outline my history, how I conquered it, and how it relates to my motivation in medicine.

BUT, my "problems" didn't affect my GPA, so I didn't need to describe them to help with getting past the screening. IF your GPA is still incredibly low, you may need to find a way to tactfully describe it in yoru PS. I said mine very simply... I said my life has been rough, and I listed some of the things I've been through... Abandonment, murder of a friend (in whose trial I was a witness), sexual molestation, etc. I kept it from being emotional, and it made it easier for me to write, and I hope easier to read.

God I can't even imagine having been through half the stuff you've mentioned you've been through. I really have to bow down to you for overcoming all that. I truly admire you for it. There are a lot of people who never are able to overcome such things and not by fault of their own but by fault of their circumstances. It takes a lot of strength to do so. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hey all,

I'm finally finished tweaking my personal statement, but it's fairly short. I'd love it if someone would read it and let me know what they think.

Thanks!!

hey i've also pm'ed several people about my ps but i havent received any feedback....if anyone is interested i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Can there also be a list of PS readers for 2009? I would really really like for someone to read mine!!!

Can we please sticky the 2009 PS reader list? That'd make a whole lot more sense than people bumping this thread for no reason?

Never mind. I see it's linked in the applicant sticky.

I have a PS draft, would someone read it please and give me some feedback?

Thanks,
Piyush

I will glady provide feedback on your personal statements, in return for your critique of mine this summer.

Hey guys,

I am a reapplicant and really need help rewriting my essay.

I worked a lot on it last round, but due to personal issues, I got my secondary's in rather late.

I thought it was really well refined, and i was going to just add some more stuff. Some people told me that I need to completely rewrite it if I am reapplying to the same set of schools.

I've tried to rewrite the essay completely, but it just comes out sounding like the same essay I wrote before, except without the polish. I think i'm having a hard time rewriting my central thesis for the question why medicine, because it was so close to the core of why I wanted to go into medicine. I'm even having a hard time just changing the organization of the new essay so it doesn't look like the old one.

Basically, I've always been interested in science and biology, but my personal experiences with disease in my family drove me toward an interest in medical practice, which i've explored and tested through volunteering and shadowing.

Does anyone have any advice? Anyone want to swap essays? AMCAS is already open but I'm floundering here.

I was talking to a doctor the other day about applying to medical school. I told him I am interested in going into psychiatry after medical school and he told me not to say that on my application because many doctors still look down upon psychiatry/think it’s not “real medicine”. Perhaps it is just the area I am living (small town on the east coast), but I am not sure what to do now that I have heard this several times.

So should I really be focusing my essay on psychiatry given this? Would it hurt my chances of admission b/c the person reading may look down on psychiatry? Or would it look bad to seem like I already know what I want to go into before I start medical school? I would really appreciate any honest & unbiased insight and advice you could provide me on this and anything you think I should be sure to include if I do write about my interest psychiatry. Please feel free to post or PM me.

I was talking to a doctor the other day about applying to medical school. I told him I am interested in going into psychiatry after medical school and he told me not to say that on my application because many doctors still look down upon psychiatry/think it’s not “real medicine”. Perhaps it is just the area I am living (small town on the east coast), but I am not sure what to do now that I have heard this several times.

So should I really be focusing my essay on psychiatry given this? Would it hurt my chances of admission b/c the person reading may look down on psychiatry? Or would it look bad to seem like I already know what I want to go into before I start medical school? I would really appreciate any honest & unbiased insight and advice you could provide me on this and anything you think I should be sure to include if I do write about my interest psychiatry. Please feel free to post or PM me.

I think that it's generally considered a bad idea to commit to a specialty in your personal statement. I hear that ~90% of medical students switch specialties during the first 3 years of med school. What you could do is talk about your experiences in Psychiatry (if you've shadowed Psychiatrists, been involved in research, etc.) and what that mas meant to you in regards to becoming a physician.

Please remove me from the PS list. Research is taking up way more time than I thought before. Sorry.

Please remove me from the PS list. Research is taking up way more time than I thought before. Sorry.

Midn,

You are not on the current list (located here). If you are still receiving requests please let me know.

Everyone, please direct comments/questions to the current Personal Statement Readers List.

I'm a Division I varsity athlete, and I feel I can't ignore this in my PS, but I also don't want to be stereotyped! I feel like it's something that almost makes me LESS uniqe because everyone has such a typical picture of D I athletes....how can I address this?

OK.... whats the general consensus about addressing negatives in PS? I have heard both sides - its good to address them, as long as you spin to the positive, or its better to ignore them and discuss them in an interview (presuming you get that far).

I guess, specifically, my question is this. I had to take the MCAT three times. (i know, gross). My first score was mediocre, my second ATROCIOUS, and my third was finally up to par. I feel like I really grew a lot through the experience and it really gave me time ( a year off) to absolutely determine that this was the career I wanted to pursue.......

but, is it better to not draw attention to the negative? I guess I could talk about the year off & growth w/o mentioning the MCAT causing it....

any feedback/advice?

this is just my $.02 ---the adcoms are going to see you took it three times anyways, so unless you spin it in a positive light they can only look upon it poorly right? so in that case you have nothing to lose!

I am having a great deal of difficulty writing my PS, mostly because I don't know what the adcoms are looking for. For example, am I simply answering 'why would I be a good doctor' or are we writing about our life and how we came to the decision to pursue medicine?

Are there examples out there that I could read?

I am having a great deal of difficulty writing my PS, mostly because I don't know what the adcoms are looking for. For example, am I simply answering 'why would I be a good doctor' or are we writing about our life and how we came to the decision to pursue medicine?

Are there examples out there that I could read?

My rough version at this point kind of incorporates the two, what brought me to it and why I wanna do it. If you look at the beginning of this thread some ppl have attachments of their PS from last year. Bonus you can look at their medapps and see how they did. I have not really read them, but I hope this helps!

Otherwise there are like princeton review books and the like that give examples of "good" PS. You could just look at them in the bookstore, considering I am sure this process will already make you go broke ;)

I have already made it clear that I work as a GI technician that helps perform colonoscopies and endoscopies in an earlier paragraph. In order to keep my character count within the limit, is it okay if I use "scopes" rather than "colonoscopes and endoscopes"? Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.