The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am pretty disappointed in my score. Verbal was the one that brought me down (even though I was averaging 10's on practice). The weird part was that I felt pretty confident going through verbal, but terrible in PS. Ended up doing well on PS and BS. Not really sure what to do now

Test Date: 3/22
Post-Test Expected Score: 26~30
Actual Score: 30 - 12/6/12
Comments: I ran out of time for both PS + BS. I had only 8 mins left for the last two passages. I guess the curve was really generous especially for BS as I was guessing for most questions. Anyways.. I HAVE TO RETAKE BECAUSE OF VERBAL.

That depends on what school you want and your GPA and other stats. My good friend last year got an 13/6/11 and got 3 MD interviews and one acceptance. If you wanna retake though I'm sure you can bring it up with intense practice over the next month or two and maybe even a verbal tutor that helps ESL students. Either way you got this bro

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm shocked all of you are doing poorly in VR especially when your AAMC averages were so high

Reactions: 1 users
I'm shocked all of you are doing poorly in VR especially when your AAMC averages were so high

I think it is mainly because the passages were much easier to read + understand.. so the curve might have been rly badd

That depends on what school you want and your GPA and other stats. My good friend last year got an 13/6/11 and got 3 MD interviews and one acceptance. If you wanna retake though I'm sure you can bring it up with intense practice over the next month or two and maybe even a verbal tutor that helps ESL students. Either way you got this bro

Well, my undergraduate health committee doesnt give interviews to students unless they have at least 7 for each section + 28 overall. Some med schools require the letter from the committee so I have no choice.

My GPA is 3.9

Well, my undergraduate health committee doesnt give interviews to students unless they have at least 7 for each section + 28 overall. Some med schools require the letter from the committee so I have no choice.

My GPA is 3.9
is it possible for you to get letters straight from professors, as in bypassing the committee option? Medical schools want letters from EITHER committee OR faculties, correct? (in addition to other letters)

is it possible for you to get letters straight from professors, as in bypassing the committee option? Medical schools want letters from EITHER committee OR faculties, correct? (in addition to other letters)

Nope. They are separate. I alrdy have 7 letters from professors, etc.
Some schools actually REQUIRE the committee letter if your undergraduate school has the committee.

Some medical schools will ask if you had the option of obtaining a committee letter, and if you didn't... why not.

Edit: I think in secondary applications.

Reactions: 1 user

My GPA is 3.9
Wow, your school is not doing you any favors!

Told myself i wouldn't come on here after i found out my score, but couldn't resist....

AAMC average: 29
Post exam expected: Really no idea, but overall i felt i did a little below my average.
Actual score: 27 (11/6/10).
Comments: If i would've got a 7 in verbal i don't think i would've retaken.... Surprised at the 11 in PS and 10 in BS. was expecting the other way around. oh well. Already have a retake scheduled for June 5th. Now need to focus on improving verbal... Still plan on applying MD and DO and submitting day one.

Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Told myself i wouldn't come on here after i found out my score, but couldn't resist....

AAMC average: 29
Post exam expected: Really no idea, but overall i felt i did a little below my average.
Actual score: 27 (11/6/10). If i would've got a 7 in verbal i don't think i would've retaken.... Surprised at the 11 in PS and 10 in BS. was expecting the other way around. oh well. Already have a retake scheduled for June 5th. Now need to focus on improving verbal... Still plan on applying MD and DO and submitting day one.

Good luck to all.

So you are gonna apply to one school first and then apply to the rest when you get your June MCAT score back?

Sharing this for posterity. I hope data junkies (such as myself) will find some use for this when preparing for future exams.

Historical Data: AAMC Practice Exams (n=8)
Score Format: PS/VR/BS

AAMC3: 12/12/15 = 39
AAMC4: 13/13/13 = 39
AAMC5: 11/12/12 = 35
AAMC7: 13/12/13 = 38
AAMC8: 12/10/14 = 36
AAMC9: 13/11/13 = 37
AAMC10: 14/11/13 = 38
AAMC11: 13/10/14 = 37

AAMC Average: 12.625±0.857/11.375±0.992/13.375±0.857 = 37.375±0.904

Predicted range (p=0.05): 34.741 - 40.009

Predicted score ≥ 35.730 (p=0.05)

Post-exam prediction: 13/11/12 = 36

Actual 3/22/14 MCAT: 14/11/13 = 38

Comments:

I know for a fact that I got at LEAST 6 questions wrong for sure on the BS section of this exam. There was a passage where I felt I guessed entirely on damn near every single question. Perhaps those who took it will know the passage to which I am referring. VR felt pretty normal during the exam with the exception of the testing room getting ridiculously hot and distracting my concentration for a few passages. PS I couldn't think of a single question I got wrong which was a bit worrisome, but luckily it seems that I did pretty well in that section.

Overall I was pretty confident in my performance in PS. VR you can never be quite sure, but I did not expect it to deviate from my average, which it did not. BS I thought I either did horribly or that the scaling would somehow put me into a range that was reasonable for me. Luckily it seems that scaling worked out in my favor.

In the end I hit damn near exactly my AAMC average, and I am very, very relieved that this was a one-and-done deal for me.

In terms of preparation I took an EK course. I also used passages from TBR, TPR HL, Kaplan, and EK101. The only FL I used were the official AAMC exams taken under simulated testing conditions.

Hope you all got the scores you were hoping for, and to the ones who were disappointed this time all I can say is... at least it's still 2014. So sorry for those 2015 folks.

Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
So you are gonna apply to one school first and then apply to the rest when you get your June MCAT score back?

Would that be the smart thing to do??? I was just planning on submitting for all the schools day one. They should know i am retaking, correct? I honestly don't think my school list will change much depending on my retake score.

Post-Test Expected Score: 24-30 (felt absolutely awful about it)
Actual Score: 30 - 10/9/11
Averaged ~31
Comments: I am relieved. I wanted a increase in verbal from my last time taking it (31: 12/7/12). I feel better with this more balanced score on my record being a re-applicant :)

Seriously, I really am surprised to see that verbal was what killed most of us. Is there actually some downfall to taking the test in the middle of the year, as opposed to the summer?

Seriously, I really am surprised to see that verbal was what killed most of us. Is there actually some downfall to taking the test in the middle of the year, as opposed to the summer?

I actually expected the curve to be really bad when I saw the passages. They were way way easier to comprehend than the ones from the practice exams.

I actually expected the curve to be really bad when I saw the passages. They were way way easier to comprehend than the ones from the practice exams.

This I agree with. I walked out thinking I hit an 11. but nope.

All I can say is, if it is your absolute goal to become a doctor, do NOT give up. I know all of you are smart, so do not let this test define you or get in the way of your life. Keep moving forward.

All I can say is, if it is your absolute goal to become a doctor, do NOT give up. I know all of you are smart, so do not let this test define you or get in the way of your life. Keep moving forward.

Sigh.. I seriously hate my life when this happens. Only if I was born in the US..

Some medical schools will ask if you had the option of obtaining a committee letter, and if you didn't... why not.

Edit: I think in secondary applications.

I think that's true.

But to my knowledge, NO MD schools will disqualify you if you don't have a committee letter even when your school offers one.

I don't know, maybe you (and a lot of the other folks who thought it was easy) missed out on some subtleties. I found it to be more difficult than the AAMCs personally. I know it's difficult to pick up on that sort of thing as a non-native speaker

I don't know, maybe you (and a lot of the other folks who thought it was easy) missed out on some subtleties. I found it to be more difficult than the AAMCs personally. I know it's difficult to pick up on that sort of thing as a non-native speaker

Passages were easier without a doubt but questions might have been more difficult.

Guys I got a 29 (10 PS/10 VR/9 BS). Is there a chance I can still get into an MD school? Or should I wait it out and retake it

Passages were easier without a doubt but questions might have been more difficult.

I agree.

None of the verbal passages on our exam is very difficult to understand well, but the questions can be tricky and difficult. Also, and this is more important, the passages on the real thing are uniformly LONGER than the passages on the AAMC. That really throw people off (myself included).

Right -- I didn't have too much problem with reading the passages (but I never did on any of them). It's the questions that seemed off to me. I remember feeling that a lot of the questions simply had no fully applicable answer choices.

I got a good score, but really, I think the verbal section is a load of crap. Too much interpretation involved -- an essay response makes more sense for those kind of questions.

Post-Test Expected Score: 26-32
Actual Score: 29 - 12/7/10 for PS/VR/BS
AAMC Average - Range was 28-34 with average around 30-31
Comments: Verbal was my weakest section by far and I am disappointed in my VR score, but I am pleased with the other two. Verbal was a total crapshoot for me on every single practice exam I took. I will not be retaking the exam and will focus on selling myself in my application through everything else I have accomplished. GPA: 3.5 sGPA 3.65. I am applying broadly for DO schools and state/family area MD schools.

Great job to everyone. Always remember why we are here and what we are trying to accomplish. If you ended up with a score lower than you expected, do not get discouraged. Life throws you curve-balls; what sets you apart from the rest is how you handle them. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming application cycle!!

Hi everyone,

I scored 6 pts below my AAMC average.

10PS
8VR
10BS

This is one pt. below my lowest verbal ever (averaged a bit over 11)
This is one pt below my lowest bio ever (All 11's with a few 12 and a 14)
One pt. below my PS average, and one pt. above my lowest. Disappointed and planning a retake in June.

Congrats to those who are done.

That's very encouraging. I feel the same way – a little intimated this time around but I need to keep pushing. I need a 32 on the dot to move on with my life.
Do you mind giving your methods and time of preparation? It would REALLY help me become optimistic as I take on a few more months to prep for this summer and lift me from the dumps. Thank you!

Sure thing. I worked the Nova physics book front to back because I found it to be the most conceptual. Once I was done with that, I did some passages from TBR physics book in my weak areas.

For biology, I used the Kaplan book (very conceptual, and they offer mnemonics along the way) and lots of videos from Khan Academy, especially for physiology. I also liked EK Biology 101, even though it doesn't get good reviews here generally. I mainly worked the physiology passages, as cell bio, genetics, and evolution were my strengths.

Chemistry: TBR book and maybe a third of their passages. For some chapters, I did everything (equilibrium, acids and bases).

I used TPR for organic, which I supplemented with Organic as a 2nd Language. I just matched the chapters in the former to the latter. I found I needed a conceptual understanding as to why certain compounds behaved that way.

As for verbal, I didn't do anything specific aside from the passages in the official AAMCs; I consistently scored 11+ there, and got an 11 on the real thing.

I studied casually starting in December and things picked up quickly in February. Good luck!

I took my first mcat in may 2013 and scored very bad. 8/2/9 =19

I studied really hard since then and retook the mcat last month and scored 11/4/11 =26 even though my aamc scores were way higher with average around 32-33.

I really don't know what to do. I know my weakness is verbal and really tried very hard this time trying different techniques and settled with EK method. I have read everyday for the last 7 months. My aamc practice verbal scores were around 7-8.

My GPA (from top 20 school) is around 3.75 and sGPA is 3.74. I majored in Molecular Biology. I've great ECs and good LORs.

I really don't know what to do here. Should I give up on MD or should I retake? Right now, I feel like I've little appetite for another retake. I also know that most of MD schools would outright reject me with that verbal score.

AAMC Average: 32
Expected Score:28-29
Actual Score: 28 (10Ps/9VR/9BS)

Was always scoring 12-14 on PS and BS for all practice exams and 6-10 on Verbal. Don't know what happened with the sciences. And surprised about verbal.

Overall, I'm disappointed with my score and will be retaking.

Does anyone know when the absolute latest you can take the MCAT is to still apply on time? I heard that even if you submit your app on day one your application won't be considered early if your MCAT scores come later. But I'm not exactly sure how it works. Can anyone shed some light on this? If I take the MCAT end of May or early June will I still be early?

26 (9/7/10)

I went down 2 points from my last mcat with no change in verbal. Studied my @ss of with nothing but disappointment in all three sections. I don't feel like saying much else, all hope IS lost for me.
MD chances gone, DO lowered, Carribean...

I am incredibly happy for those that did well.

But for those that didn't do well and are posting here or lurking, please remember the MCAT is just one step towards medical school, and after you start classes NO ONE cares about your MCAT score.

Press on and retake it, there's still time. You're the only one standing in between you and an acceptance letter.

Post-Test Expected Score: 23-24 (PS:11 VR: 4: BS: 9)
Actual Score: 29 (PS:12 VR: 7 BS:10)
Kaplan 1 PS: 8 VR: 6 BS: 11 (25)
Kaplan 2 PS: 14 VR: 7 BS: 10 (31)
Kaplan 3 PS: 11 VR: 7 BS: 14 (32)
Kaplan 4 PS: 13 VR: 8 BS: 11 (32)
Kaplan 5 PS: 13 VR: 8 BS: 12 (33)
Kaplan 6 PS: 12 VR: 11 BS: 13 (36)
Kaplan 7 PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 10 (32)
AAMC 6 PS: 11 VR: 9 BS: 10 (30)
AAMC 7 PS: 10 VR: 8 BS: 12 (30)
AAMC 8 PS: 10 VR: 8 BS: 12 (30)
AAMC 9 PS: 11 VR: 8 BS: 10 (29)

Comments: I am completely shocked that I didn't get a 3 or 4 on my verbal. I have felt really bad for the past month. I am not retaking my verbal though because it is the only blemish in my entire application. My rule of thumb is that if you're not afraid to share your score with any friends or family members, don't retake it.

26 (9/7/10)

I went down 2 points from my last mcat with no change in verbal. Studied my @ss of with nothing but disappointment in all three sections. I don't feel like saying much else, all hope IS lost for me.

I think a 26 is good enough for many DO schools. Though why did you retake a 28 if you are alright with DO? Did you also want to shoot for MD?

I liked Sisphyean’s format for posting scores. Thank you, Sisphyean! I hope you don’t mind if I follow your lead. Here is my version:

Historical Data: AAMC Practice Exams (n=7)
Score Format: PS/VR/BS

01/11/14 AAMC3: 10/11/11=32
02/08/14 AAMC4: 10/11/09=31
02/15/14 AAMC5: 10/10/11=31
02/22/14 AAMC10: 10/10/11=31
03/02/14 AAMC7: 11/11/13=35
03/08/14 AAMC8: 12/10/13=35
03/18/14 AAMC11: 11/13/12=36

Average AAMC: 10.86/10.86/11.29=33

Post-exam Prediction: 12/10/10=32

Actual MCAT:

03/22/14 MCAT: 14/10/10=34

Comments:

I sat down for the exam with a fever and quite sick. But with that test day adrenaline that was in my system, I doubt that made a difference.

After typing up my practice exams and noticing that I only studied for two and a half months, maybe I should have prepared more. Still, I’m quite pleased with my score and I will not be retaking this exam.

On test day, I felt good about Physical Sciences, and my score reflects that. However, I only finished with seconds to spare. In contrast, I did not feel good about Verbal or Biological Sciences, and I suppose my scores reflect that as well. The passages in Verbal were longer than the practice tests, and I found the questions to be very difficult. I finished Verbal with two minutes to spare. Biological Sciences was a nightmare for me. I wanted more organic, and I found some of the biology questions to be unbearably specific. I hardly studied biology being that the AAMC practice tests gave me the impression that most of the answers in this section could be gleaned by carefully reading the passages. I did not find this to be true on the actual exam.

I prepared using the ExamKrackers books, which I bought used off of ebay, and nothing else. I tried to take an AAMC practice test every Saturday in the ten weeks prior to my test date, and for the most part, I did. I regret not studying more, in light of how heavily others on this forum studied.

I am very grateful to those of you who posted consistently on this forum. This is my first post, but I benefited from reading and re-reading all of your posts over the past three months. Thank you.

I think a 26 is good enough for many DO schools. Though why did you retake a 28 if you are alright with DO? Did you also want to shoot for MD?
I was going for mainly MD. Predicted lowest 30 on this exam based on my TBR CBT's averages. I thought the 30 would help me with a chance at MD's. Now I'll have to go for DO's probably and the decrease in mcat will not look favorable. I wasn't ok with DO out of my own ego, but I seems like I am not cut out for MD..

I took my first mcat in may 2013 and scored very bad. 8/2/9 =19

I studied really hard since then and retook the mcat last month and scored 11/4/11 =26 even though my aamc scores were way higher with average around 32-33.

I really don't know what to do. I know my weakness is verbal and really tried very hard this time trying different techniques and settled with EK method. I have read everyday for the last 7 months. My aamc practice verbal scores were around 7-8.

My GPA (from top 20 school) is around 3.75 and sGPA is 3.74. I majored in Molecular Biology. I've great ECs and good LORs.

I really don't know what to do here. Should I give up on MD or should I retake? Right now, I feel like I've little appetite for another retake. I also know that most of MD schools would outright reject me with that verbal score.
You might have some luck with low tier DO. You have to get that VR to 7+ if you want M.D.

26 (9/7/10)

M.D. is certainly gone. You are ok for DO if your GPAs are 3.3+. A D.O. is a physician.

I done failed y'all.
Test date: 3/22
Post test expectations: 11/7/10 or 11/8/10
Actual score: 9/7/7
Comments: I don't have time to be upset or feel sorry for myself. I gotta swallow my pride, be a man, and bulk my score up 5+ points. Anyone out there who feel afraid to post, don't, because I sure as hell am not. It will just be all the sweeter when I take this test again and own it. Good job, guys.

Reactions: 10 users
11/12/10....33. SO, SO relieved. My goal was "one and done" for the MCAT because honestly I can't put myself through all that again.

I am so surprised to still hear so much DO negativity. I have a score good enough for MD (cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.8) but will be applying almost exclusively to DO schools (besides my in-state MDs of course) because I am drawn toward the DO philosophy. I understand if you want to do radiology why you wouldn't want to go the DO route, but I work in an Emergency Department where about 1/3 of the doctors are DO and I can tell you I have seen NO correlation between the quality of physician and whether or not they are MD or DO. If you're disappointed about going to a DO school for the ego thing, then think hard about why you want to go into medicine. If it's for prestige, be concerned about the MD/DO thing. We're still about a generation away from total equal respect for DOs. But if you want to practice medicine and heal patients, then get that "Dr." title and get into a good residency program. As a sidenote, one of the doctors I frequently work with got a 24 on his MCAT, only got in after reapplying, and got 98th percentile on all his boards and his first pick residency programs. It's all about the end goal...

AAMC average: 27 (range 24-31)
Post exam expected: I had no idea what to expect coming out.
Actual score: 30 (9/11/10).
Comments: Pretty satisfied with this result. Verbal was usually my best section and I was hoping that would be a little stronger. Currently, I'm really on the fence about a retake. The neurotic in me is saying I have to. The other side is saying no, don't go through that hell again. I'd love some input if anyone would be kind enough to share.

Some relevant stats:
Regular GPA-3.62
Sci. GPA-3.32

11/12/10....33. SO, SO relieved. My goal was "one and done" for the MCAT because honestly I can't put myself through all that again.

I am so surprised to still hear so much DO negativity. I have a score good enough for MD (cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.8) but will be applying almost exclusively to DO schools (besides my in-state MDs of course) because I am drawn toward the DO philosophy. I understand if you want to do radiology why you wouldn't want to go the DO route, but I work in an Emergency Department where about 1/3 of the doctors are DO and I can tell you I have seen NO correlation between the quality of physician and whether or not they are MD or DO. If you're disappointed about going to a DO school for the ego thing, then think hard about why you want to go into medicine. If it's for prestige, be concerned about the MD/DO thing. We're still about a generation away from total equal respect for DOs. But if you want to practice medicine and heal patients, then get that "Dr." title and get into a good residency program. As a sidenote, one of the doctors I frequently work with got a 24 on his MCAT, only got in after reapplying, and got 98th percentile on all his boards and his first pick residency programs. It's all about the end goal...

Also, there was a recent merger of the AOA and ACGME. For those of you applying this year (and thereafter), it would behoove you to Google this and familiarize yourselves.