The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Post test expected score - 29-31
Actual Score: PS 11, VR 9, BS 10 - 30

AAMC average was a 29.5. I really just wanted a 30 so I'm happy with it

Reactions: 1 user
Test Date: 3/22/14
Post-Test Expected Score: 30-32
Actual Score: 36 (13/11/12)
Comments: My best AAMC score was a 35 (AAMC 3 and AAMC 10), so relieved.

Reactions: 6 users
Test Date: 22mar2014
Post-Test Expected Score: 31-37
Actual Score: 33 (13ps/8vr/12bs) .... lowest VR on any test I have taken, including my first practice test prior to studying
Comments: This was in the range i expected, I almost always get a 10 or 11 on vr, so losing points there brought me to low end of range. I am definitely happy with this score and will not be retaking.

Actual Score: 36 (13/11/12)
Comments: My best AAMC score was a 35 (AAMC 3 and AAMC 10), so relieved.

Congratulations! I'm hoping to be in your shoes in 2 weeks. My highest was a 36; I'd be elated (and relieved) to get a 36 or better. Stories like yours make me happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Actual Score: 35 (12PS/11VR/12BS)
Comments: Really freaking happy. My last score in August was a 27 (8/10/9).

Reactions: 9 users
29 was my score. PS10/VR9/BS10
Average score on the practice was around 32 ish. with 33s on the last ones I took.
Very disapointed but i suppose thats what i expected based on how i felt afterwards.

PS- I got about what I expected and averaged on the practice.

VR- worse than expected but not by much. I thought this was much harder than the practice problems by a wide margin. I got lower by around 2 to 3 points on this section than my practice.

BS- honestly better than I expected, normally was my strongest subject on the practice which ranged anywhere from an 11 to a 12. However, this was MUCH worse and seemed to exploit all of my weaknesses.

Last edited:
Post-Test Expected Score: 35 (12/12/11)
Actual Score: 38 (14/11/13)
Comments: It's a point lower than my lowest AAMC, but I can't complain because my test-day performance felt far worse than a 38.

Thanks to those of you who commented on this thread regularly. It helped me wait out the past month.

HOLY ****! HOLY ****! HOLY ****! HOLY ****!

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

33! 33! 33! 33! 33!

10 VR (good and solid, predicted 9-10)
11 BS (very happy, predicted 9-10)
12 PS (very happy, predicted 11)

DO, here I come!

26 to 33, 7 point improvement!

YES!

Reactions: 7 users
23...wow. 8/6/9...dont even know what to say. im so disappointed. like how...what am i gonna do now.
I'm sorry to hear that. I commend your courage for posting your scores because many who fail to reach their goals don't.

For what it's worth, I scored a 24 (10/8/6) on my first MCAT after taking a prep course. I was discouraged, but I changed up my study habits and busted ass over the summer and got a 30 (10/9/11) on my retake. I promise you it can be done, don't get too down on yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry to hear that. I commend your courage for posting your scores because many who fail to reach their goals don't.

For what it's worth, I scored a 24 (10/8/6) on my first MCAT after taking a prep course. I was discouraged, but I changed up my study habits and busted ass over the summer and got a 30 (10/9/11) on my retake. I promise you it can be done, don't get too down on yourself.

i just dont know what to change. i thought i knew all the physics formulas and all that. the bio i couldnt remember at all, and the verbal i thought it got atleast a 10. i studied a lot but i didnt do a lot of practice problems...maybe ill change that this time around. i only have like a month to study which sucks. i just dont know what im going to do

14/10/10, 34 total, I'm pleased but I only have a 3.6 GPA, and now have to decide whether or not I have to retake it

8/7/9.

8 doesn't surprise me as I was rushed.

Verbal? Really? My averages for verbal were about 11 going into this test. IDK how I did so poorly.

I studied well, but I think I just got too nervous for the real test. I know I did't take enough practice tests, which I'm sure is why my timing was off.

Appreciate the comments/recommendations from you guys so far! They really help when you're neurotic.

I got a 29. 10 PS 10 VR 9 BS. What should I do? I have a 3.78 GPA, 3.83 science GPA. Should I retake? I am so disappointed I was getting 33-34 on my practice tests....

I need some real honest advice. I think I have to give up on medical school. I've taken the mcat 3 times now. 22/23 and now a 22 again. I'm not dumb by any means, I was scoring around 30 on the practice tests that I had not taken for first two go arounds. I really want to be a doctor and don't want to give up. But I would like to know what my options are. Does anyone know what DO schools take the highest of your p/v/b and adds them up? If there are any. I'm at work right now otherwise id look it up myself.

I got a 29. 10 PS 10 VR 9 BS. What should I do? I have a 3.78 GPA, 3.83 science GPA. Should I retake? I am so disappointed I was getting 33-34 on my practice tests....

I would send out my application on June 1st because the verification process is the most annoying part about applying. I would then plan for a Jun-July retake, with a 29 you should get a lot of secondaries anyways, and I am by no way saying 29 wont get you in a school, but from what I see in your score breakdown you have a solid verbal scores and the sciences are easier to increase so I could definitely see you increasing 2+ points on a retake.

I need some real honest advice. I think I have to give up on medical school. I've taken the mcat 3 times now. 22/23 and now a 22 again. I'm not dumb by any means, I was scoring around 30 on the practice tests that I had not taken for first two go arounds. I really want to be a doctor and don't want to give up. But I would like to know what my options are. Does anyone know what DO schools take the highest of your p/v/b and adds them up? If there are any. I'm at work right now otherwise id look it up myself.
There are some that do you will have to look that up I suggest you look at the underdogs thread for more motivation. Never give up on your dreams.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-2011-2012-underdog-thread.820171/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ead-lets-get-it.1000254/page-81#post-15150504

How did you prep? When it comes to DO schools, I'm not sure how this is done. From talking to people at my two state MD schools, however, I learned that they both look at your highest score from each section (kinda like SAT super scores) which surprised me. You'll need to check with each school specifically, because to my knowledge, there isn't some universal policy for this.

32, I am so relieved!

I just want to give some encouragement to those who didn't score where they had wanted. This is my second time taking this test; I got a 27 about 3 years ago, and that knocked me off my feet for a long time. I was very intimidated trying again, but you just have to keep at it and don't beat yourself up. Wish everyone the best!

Reactions: 2 users
How did you prep? When it comes to DO schools, I'm not sure how this is done. From talking to people at my two state MD schools, however, I learned that they both look at your highest score from each section (kinda like SAT super scores) which surprised me. You'll need to check with each school specifically, because to my knowledge, there isn't some universal policy for this.

Pretty much everything out in print. The official aamc exams, the kaplan and gold standard exams. My review was all of the TBR books.

32, I am so relieved!

I just want to give some encouragement to those who didn't score where they had wanted. This is my second time taking this test; I got a 27 about 3 years ago, and that knocked me off my feet for a long time. I was very intimidated trying again, but you just have to keep at it and don't beat yourself up. Wish everyone the best!

Congrats! My first is a 26, and I got a 33 this time!

Pretty much everything out in print. The official aamc exams, the kaplan and gold standard exams. My review was all of the TBR books.

Do you think it was an anxiety thing? I've noticed if I'm freaked out going in to practice tests, I do much worse. I'm retaking in May after doing poorly in January, so I get where you're coming from as far as that goes.

14/10/12

Much worse than I expected considering my AAMC average was a 40. I have a 3.9. I feel like I would be okay if the verbal was an 11, but I don't know. Most of the schools on my list just became high reaches.

Post-Test Expected Score: 27 (10/7/10)
Actual Score: 27 (10/8/9)
Comments: My average was around a 30 so I'm somewhat disappointed but this is what I was expecting to get after that verbal section. Averaged 10 in verbal.

I'm applying to D.O. schools and a few state M.D. schools I hope it works out in the end. Not going to retake.

I got a 29 :( 11 PS/8 VR/10 BS. Verbal was hard, but I was expecting at least a 10. So disappointed right now. I have a 3.9 GPA. I was planning on applying to UT Southwestern (their average is 35). What should I do? Should I retake? I want to go ahead and apply on Jun 1st. If I retake, is it a good idea to do it in July, or will it be too late to be counted in my favor?

14/10/12

Much worse than I expected considering my AAMC average was a 40. I have a 3.9. I feel like I would be okay if the verbal was an 11, but I don't know. Most of the schools on my list just became high reaches.
Don't feed into the SDN neuroticism. With a 3.9 and a 36, you're golden, at least from a numbers viewpoint.

32, I am so relieved!

That's very encouraging. I feel the same way – a little intimated this time around but I need to keep pushing. I need a 32 on the dot to move on with my life.
Do you mind giving your methods and time of preparation? It would REALLY help me become optimistic as I take on a few more months to prep for this summer and lift me from the dumps. Thank you!

Last edited:
i just dont know what to change. i thought i knew all the physics formulas and all that. the bio i couldnt remember at all, and the verbal i thought it got atleast a 10. i studied a lot but i didnt do a lot of practice problems...maybe ill change that this time around. i only have like a month to study which sucks. i just dont know what im going to do

I can promise you that is THE reason why you didn't score nearly what you were hoping for. Although today is disappointing, the positive thing is that I'm 100% confident you can SERIOUSLY increase your score. Relationship between MCAT score and # of practice passages/problems completed and reviewed is directly proportional. Start now and do tons of problems and passages every day for the next 2 months and then retake at the end of June or July!! You can do this!! :)

PS 12 VR 7 BS 10 with a 29 Total

Should I retake this with a 3.91 overall GPA and a 4.00 science GPA???
you'll most likely get a few acceptances for DO schools if you want to be a doctor ultimately. Might be a bit tough for MD schools but it's not impossible. Do you have time for retake?

Post-Test Expected Score: 37 (PS 11/VR 12/BS 14)
Actual Score: 37 (PS 13/VR 13/BS 11)
Comments:
AAMC Avg: 37 (PS 12/VR 12/BS 13)
Pretty much right on what I expected based on AAMC tests and my post-test feelings. Only difference being that I thought I'd done much better on BS, and much worse on PS. But it all evened out in the end!

Congrats to everyone, we all did great!

Last edited:

I can promise you that is THE reason why you didn't score nearly what you were hoping for. Although today is disappointing, the positive thing is that I'm 100% confident you can SERIOUSLY increase your score. Relationship between MCAT score and # of practice passages/problems completed and reviewed is directly proportional. Start now and do tons of problems and passages every day for the next 2 months and then retake at the end of June or July!! You can do this!! :)

Thank you!!!! Do you know which ones are the best? I literally just bought TPR Science Workbook off amazon, so I know I'll use that. I have all the Kaplan books that Ive read through 2x, and Ive actually made notes about each chapter in the books so I wont have to read the useless (to me) info. My online Kaplan membership doesnt expire until Sept, so I guess I could use those problems as well....

Thank you!!!! Do you know which ones are the best? I literally just bought TPR Science Workbook off amazon, so I know I'll use that. I have all the Kaplan books that Ive read through 2x, and Ive actually made notes about each chapter in the books so I wont have to read the useless (to me) info. My online Kaplan membership doesnt expire until Sept, so I guess I could use those problems as well....

TPR is great, Kaplans sciences are great, and TBR is great. But what matters MUCH more is not which prep books/workbooks you have, but how many you are doing a day. Do them all! And when you exhaust your resources, grab a crappy one at the library and do all of them. Time yourself every time and I promise you will begin to notice insane improvements

Test Date: 3/22
Post-Test Expected Score: 26~30
Actual Score: 30 - 12/6/12
Comments: I ran out of time for both PS + BS. I had only 8 mins left for the last two passages. I guess the curve was really generous especially for BS as I was guessing for most questions. Anyways.. I HAVE TO RETAKE BECAUSE OF VERBAL.

Reactions: 6 users