The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you would recommend TBR FL's sithis?
I have heard good things about TBR, but I would personally recommend Kaplan. Just take all of their FL tests. I would say
that their verbal is not really indicative, but their sciences are right on the mark. Also, the day after you take the practice tests, REVIEW them and write down a list of why you got your answers wrong or what you could have done better with those types of questions. It's all about correcting for faulty test taking tendencies that we all have.

Did anybody feel like the curve for PS was a little generous? I guessed considerably more than I ever did on my aamcs but got my average. Was expecting a couple points lower though.
I thought that it wasn't generous. I thought I killed the PS section and only got a 10. I must have answered incorrectly more than I thought.
I also thought the bio curve was not that generous either. I was always scoring 12-14 on BS and got a 9 on the real thing. WTF happened I have no idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh thats no good, any opinion on how to best prep? :(
Goldstandard av/, ll 10 CBT, Kaplan all 11CBT. Read Kaplan lesson books + EK books and know them like the back of your hand. Other than that there's not much you can do when the MCAT writer decides to throw a curve ball like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Goldstandard av/, ll 10 CBT, Kaplan all 11CBT. Read Kaplan lesson books + EK books and know them like the back of your hand. Other than that there's not much you can do when the MCAT writer decides to throw a curve ball like that.

Thanks !! Im reading good reviews on GS CBTs, have to give that a shot. Thanks man

So you would recommend TBR FL's sithis?

Definitely, some of the questions were really similar to the TBR FLs and going over all of my FLs (AAMC and TBR) the week of was probably the most beneficial part of my studying. More than anything find your weak areas and do problems for those areas.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, been following awhile and this is my first post on this thread.
Retaking from August 2013
Scores then 30/09PS/11VR/10BS
Scores March 22, 2014 37/11PS/12VR/14BS

Used TBR almost exclusively, books and FLs. Didn't study nearly as much as last time, but we had a brown out(half the power was out at test facility) and didn't start for until 10ish for my first test. Glad I retook, even though most people gave me the advice that I shouldn't do it. If you feel like you can do better, go for it! You could end up making huge strides.

Great improvement! What did you change to make a large improvement in the BS? I'm retaking my mcat this summer!

As far as the BS improvement went, I think my classes helped alot. I went through Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Pathogenic Microbiology, etc. I also read through TBR Bio 1 and 2 several times each. I found taking notes while reading helped with recall, as well as having a friend quiz me on my notes.

Great improvement! What did you change to make a large improvement in the BS? I'm retaking my mcat this summer!
Also, spend some time reading primary literature that interests you. I really liked reading about stem cell research, but at first I was really unfamiliar with all the terminology/methodology/interpretation so it was a little overwhelming(kind of how I felt first taking the MCAT) but I think going through that really helps prepare for the unpredictability of the passages in terms of not feeling like a deer in headlights.

Also make sure you've got your OChem fundamentals down really well. Barron's OChem flashcards had a great diagram/map for making basically any compound and memorizing it helped with being sure of reaction products.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that it wasn't generous. I thought I killed the PS section and only got a 10. I must have answered incorrectly more than I thought.
I also thought the bio curve was not that generous either. I was always scoring 12-14 on BS and got a 9 on the real thing. WTF happened I have no idea.

I scores lower than I expected on bio as well

Apply to schools which match your stats, honestly you may surprise yourself and get into some good schools. After taking the mcat twice I have to say it's a bit of a crapshoot to get over 30 (let-alone the 3 point improvement). My best score adds up to 32 if you take the best score in each section, getting that at once is a whole different story.

Hi everyone, new to SDN but any advice would be unbelievably appreciated.

Please keep in mind that I will be applying primarily to DO schools. I have a 3.3 gpa (science and overall) with very competitive ECs and clinical experiences.

Mcat scores were received yesterday. I walked away with a soul crushing 26 (8/9/9). I felt sufficiently prepared for the test. I took all of the AAMC practice tests and scored in the 29-32 range with a 31 average. I believe my low score had more to do with the mcat head games than my actual understanding of the material. I never found my test taking rhythm and felt strapped for time in all 3 sections.

Now my pre health adviser seems to think that I do not need to retake the test, however I feel that with my gpa a 26 wont cut it.

I would like to retake the test as soon as possible, maybe in the next 6 weeks.
Is that a good strategy for someone who prepared well but didnt preform on the actual test, or is that hasty?

Might be worth a quick retake if you have a pretty good idea where your weaknesses are. 6 weeks is enough to brush up on specific areas. If you feel yourself to be lacking a little bit in everything, then 6 weeks may be premature.

I feel embarrassed posting this here because I know a lot of people would love to have the score that I got, but I really was wondering if scoring like 4 points lower than AAMC average is abnormal. Just the two weeks before the test I took about 4 AAMCs (7, 9, 10, and 11 or something) and scored 38-42 on them so I was feeling incredibly confident for the real thing. During the actual test though I seriously just couldn't focus and as soon as I left I felt like I had not done nearly as well as in practice. I ended up with a 10 on verbal, 12 on bs, and 14 on ps. I know it's a really solid score but the verbal is on the low end (seems like everyone did poorly on it) and I just feel very disappointed after doing so well on the AAMC tests :(

I feel embarrassed posting this here because I know a lot of people would love to have the score that I got, but I really was wondering if scoring like 4 points lower than AAMC average is abnormal. Just the two weeks before the test I took about 4 AAMCs (7, 9, 10, and 11 or something) and scored 38-42 on them so I was feeling incredibly confident for the real thing. During the actual test though I seriously just couldn't focus and as soon as I left I felt like I had not done nearly as well as in practice. I ended up with a 10 on verbal, 12 on bs, and 14 on ps. I know it's a really solid score but the verbal is on the low end (seems like everyone did poorly on it) and I just feel very disappointed after doing so well on the AAMC tests :(

you did better than most people and have a lot of opportunities with that 36, just be happy with what you got. a lot of people in this thread would do anything to be in your shoes and have a shot at the opportunities you will have. The ambition and perfectionism are nice, but it's always good to just appreciate what you have achieved and the opportunities you will have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I would do anything for a 36...
And no its not abnormal. I dropped 4 points below my AAMC average too. Unfortunately mine was from a 32 to a 28. Would love to be in your shoes. Amazing score. Be happy

I would do anything for a 36

yea, seriously. i'm already tired of people discouraging me from applying to the schools I want because of the score I got and trying to convince me to retake when I already spent the past 7+ months on tries 1 and 2 and studied my absolute behind off for a 29 and then a 28 and a lot of us are in the same boat.

yea, seriously. i'm already tired of people discouraging me from applying to the schools I want because of the score I got and trying to convince me to retake when I already spent the past 7+ months on tries 1 and 2 and studied my absolute behind off for a 29 and then a 28 and a lot of us are in the same boat.
I feel you man. Really devastating and frustrating to have that happen. I'm in the same boat as you. Busted my ass, was scoring well and then got killed. There are a lot of discouraging people on here that will tell you that you can't do something. In the end, all schools are different and not all of them only care about scores. Being persistent and showing that you will do anything to achieve your goals is a great quality, surely one medical schools are looking for.
Sexappeal posted a comment that really got me motivated to study again. We just have to move on, accept what happened and give it another try. It will be worth it in the end pulling off a damn great score. I know you can do it!! You definitely deserve it. We all do.

I think the better advice is to broaden your application and focus your primary effort at schools where your stats give you the best chance. You can still apply to the schools you want, but you can't allow applying to them take focus away from schools you have a better statistical shot at.

I'm tired of it too, but you also have to realize how many trolls are on here. I'm not going to call anyone out specifically, but there are a TON of people who claim they get 37+ when they don't. Those same people also like to tell people like us who put forth so much effort that we will never make it. Ignore them. There's a lot of valuable information on here, and the key is to sift through what is really helpful and what is troll rhetoric. Anyways, I'm pretty happy with my 29. I'm going to get into a school regardless of what anyone here tells me.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I've been reading for the past couple of months, but never posted. Here's what I have:

AAMC average: 36
Post-test prediction: 30-31ish
Actual: 35 (11 ps/12 vr/12 bs)

I used TBR to study along with AAMC practice tests. I definitely didn't get around to studying as much this semester as I had planned to. BS had some annoyingly detailed discretes and I found our verbal section particularly tough. PS seemed normal to me. I've never been a huge fan, so I welcomed the 11, haha. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the turn out! I'm talking extremely, extremelyyyy pleased. Especially with verbal, considering how difficult it felt as I took it. Congrats to those who scored where they wanted, and for those who didn't, get em on the next round!
Congrats! I had basically the exact same post test feeling as you, and ended up with a very similar score (12/11/12). So glad I don't have to take this again!

The AAMC says they design the MCAT so that if a bunch of people retake it, most will get +/- 2 points from their first scores. If that's true, scoring +/-2 points from your AAMC average is normal. So it's abnormal if you scored -4.

I wonder if your practice test conditions were different from the actual test conditions.

I'm tired of it too, but you also have to realize how many trolls are on here. I'm not going to call anyone out specifically, but there are a TON of people who claim they get 37+ when they don't. Those same people also like to tell people like us who put forth so much effort that we will never make it. Ignore them. There's a lot of valuable information on here, and the key is to sift through what is really helpful and what is troll rhetoric. Anyways, I'm pretty happy with my 29. I'm going to get into a school regardless of what anyone here tells me.

Thank you. I've had an actual adcom discourage me here and a lot of other people because of my mcat and it really sucks. :( I'm so confused at this point with what to apply to, what I actually have to do, what's missing ugh.

Thank you. I've had an actual adcom discourage me here and a lot of other people because of my mcat and it really sucks. :( I'm so confused at this point with what to apply to, what I actually have to do, what's missing ugh.

That adcom, :beat:, should not be an adcom.. I had a best friend get a balanced 26 and she was accepted to 2 md schools and she only applied to 5. Needless to say, if everything else is fine you have research, good gpa, ecs your fine. Mcat isnt everything. Doctors do not need to solve magnetic problems while they are with patients... this test has concepts that will not be revisited in medical school and just because you may not be good at them does not mean you will not make a great physician. Apply with your score and dont be afraid to apply DO ... in the end DO or MD your still a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users

pw1pN.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
That adcom, :beat:, should not be an adcom.. I had a best friend get a balanced 26 and she was accepted to 2 md schools and she only applied to 5. Needless to say, if everything else is fine you have research, good gpa, ecs your fine. Mcat isnt everything. Doctors do not need to solve magnetic problems while they are with patients... this test has concepts that will not be revisited in medical school and just because you may not be good at them does not mean you will not make a great physician. Apply with your score and dont be afraid to apply DO ... in the end DO or MD your still a doctor.

damn right :). great post, the most exciting part about the mcat is forgetting all the stuff I won't be using again. I'll apply anyway and give things my best shot like you said.

Should I retake?
AAMC Average: 30 (Range was 29-33)
Actual MCAT Score: 30 (11PS/9V/10BS)
GPA: Science 3.9+ Cumulative: 3.9+ (I go to an institution that is notorious for its hard core premed program)
EC: Great ECs, tons of research (no publication yet) + shadowing + volunteering
I'm pretty sure I'll get superb letters of rec.

Schools I plan on applying to: All MD
Mainly Florida Schools (In-state for Florida)
Possibly some Texas, California, or George schools.
I'm just worried that some schools in Florida, Texas, or California will outright reject me just because my MCAT score is below their median (UCLA, UFlorida, UMiami, etc). I'm thinking if I study hard enough for the next 4-5 weeks, I might be able to push my MCAT score a bit higher. I'm scared that my verbal may fall down though.

Any thoughts on retaking?

Should I retake?
GPA: Science 3.9+ Cumulative: 3.9+ (I go to an institution that is notorious for its hard core premed program)

I'm just worried that some schools in Florida, Texas, or California will outright reject me just because my MCAT score is below their median (UCLA, UFlorida, UMiami, etc). I'm thinking if I study hard enough for the next 4-5 weeks, I might be able to push my MCAT score a bit higher. I'm scared that my verbal may fall down though.

Are you trolling right now?

I'm just going to proclaim myself the Troll Police now, and you're being pulled over for signs of trolling.

Reactions: 5 users
Should I retake?

don't retake. you got a 30 which is better than like 76% of people who ever to take the test get. you're going to get into a good school, now relax.

Should I retake?

If no troll:

With your GPA and good EC's you'll have a very good shot at FAU, FIU, FSU, USF, UCF.

Since you scored your average, chances are unlikely you'll increase your score by any considerable amount, especially since your average is at the low end of your range (meaning you had a greater distribution in the low end). Without seeing your scores, I predict you have a standard deviation in the range of 2 points. Could you stomach potentially getting a 28 at the cost of only getting a 32? Further, if you're happy with a 9VR and scared it may fall, don't retake. Getting a sub 8 VR is going to raise some red flags

Focus your energy on your PS and primary app.

If troll:

Retake, for sure, retake.

...gladiator89 not only did you get a 30, but you got a very well balanced 30, this is fine for several Florida schools. If not trolling: take a breath, you are fine. If you are trolling, you have got some nerve to troll here after some people were brave enough to post their <24 scores.

Reactions: 3 users
Just curious, but did anyone do much better than their practice exams? Seems like everyone did worse for some reason.

Just curious, but did anyone do much better than their practice exams? Seems like everyone did worse for some reason.

I ended up doing about 5 points better than my average. Must have gotten lucky with the guesses I made although I did feel alright about PS and BS after the exam. I've never felt good about verbal, but still managed to score above my average.

I ended up doing about 5 points better than my average. Must have gotten lucky with the guesses I made although I did feel alright about PS and BS after the exam. I've never felt good about verbal, but still managed to score above my average.

Wow, that's awesome! Is be stoked if I got that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wellllp, go ahead and add me to the club that kicked ass at AAMC practice (30+ on my FLs) but scored an amazingly underwhelming 25. It shakes out to a neat little 6/11/8 I'm not even a little proud of. I felt PS crumble in my hands, thought I creamed VS, and felt like I treaded BS water. Much like a poster upthread it felt totally alien; never hit my rhythm, got caught up in the verbiage. Despite my huge lack of retaking gumption I'm afraid I don't have a choice.

It looks like everyone that's retaking is retaking in early to mid-June? When's the latest time to retake? Am I a punk if I push retaking to July 12? I'm already sort of disadvantaged numbers-wise so I don't want to push it but I'm just wringing my hands about making a substantial improvement.

Thought I'd finally comment on here after one week. This was my second time taking it, with my first be a 12/8/10-30.Last time around, I used TBR for all the sciences except bio and TPR and EK for verbal.
This time, I got a 12/10/10-32. I came out of the test feeling horrible. I ran out of time for PS and VR and was seriously considering voiding because I felt worse than I felt my first time around. Just goes to show that post-MCAT feelings are not accurate at all. Although I was scoring higher on the practice exams, I feel content because it could have been much worse. This time around, I used mainly just TPR and TPRHL for the sciences and EK for orgo because I had a pretty strong foundation for orgo. TBR just was too detailed for me, but I guess everyone has preferences.

I think they are expensive but again I personally have no one suitable for this..

I know Kaplan does it, but they have partnered with another company called "BeMo" -

Is it wise to share your PS with other premeds who are applying in the same cycle??

Ya my friend used BeMo, Kaplan only does MCAT prep not applications. She liked BeMo though for her PS and sketch, they have good advisers who are residents in Us and Canada. She didn't complain about cost or anything so i don't think it's that bad...good investment I guess since she got into med school.